Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Reading to Allentown is a 45 minute drive at the most and they couldn't get there?
I don't know the specifics, but maybe they only had one car, or his family was eating dinner at the hotel across from the arena when he got the call and he had to leave right away. Allentown still sells out pretty frequently, maybe they couldn't get seats? It was literally a last minute callup.

Your right it's unfair to judge a goalie off of one AHL game but Mark Dekanich is not even AHL material anymore. Dekanich's first 3 seasons as a pro in the AHL were decent but after the 2010-11 season with Milwaukee, Dekanich fell off a cliff as far as being a competitive goalie in the american league.

At this time Dekanich is nothing more then an ECHL backup goaltender. Only reason why the Phantoms signed him is because Stolarz was injured and the organization is familiar with Dekanich so the Royals needed a backup.

Once Stolarz is healthy and Irving is sent down to Reading, Dekanich will probably be loaned to another ECHL team.

He was a solid ECHL starter last year, better than Oulette a lot of nights. Plus he had a better attitude. Great team guy, did a lot of appearances, had his mask painted with a Royals theme, ordered special pads with Royals logo and colors. Oulette got the opportunities because he was the NHL contracted guy, but he also had some "I'm too good for this league" attitude too. Hopefully they can find a way to keep Dekanich around after Stolarz is healthy. Every time they send the "extra" goalie somewhere else to get playing time, there is an injury the next week and the Royals are dressing a guy out of the local rec league as a backup.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wouldn't expect Stolarz back until March at the earliest, so Dekanich should be able to get comfortable in Reading.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't expect Stolarz back until March at the earliest, so Dekanich should be able to get comfortable in Reading.

Great...so next season a rusty Stolie must outplay Neuvirth and Lyon for or backup or we trade him for little or waive him for nothing.

Was really hoping he would have a good year.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Great...so next season a rusty Stolie must outplay Neuvirth and Lyon for or backup or we trade him for little or waive him for nothing.

Was really hoping he would have a good year.

Yeah, that really came at a bad time. Not that there is ever a good time for an extended injury but this was a critical season for him to push for a backup spot at least. Now... who knows.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Stolarz is a big guy who physically covers a lot of the net. He squares up to the shooter fairly well and uses his stick and blocker to steer pucks away from the goal. However I am not sold on his glove hand or his ability to rise and fall quickly to protect the goal. There frequently are rebounds in the crease that need to be cleared. He has improved over his years in the Flyers organization but he still has a away to go to be NHL ready. Getting hurt right now is a bad blow for his career.
Lyon doesn't have Stolarz professional experience but his play is about equal to that of Stolarz. Lyon has a better glove hand and quicker in the crease. He's not quite ready for NHL play based on last year's play but give him some more time this season to steady his play and he probably will be competent enough to be a back up if one of the Philly goalies go down.
In the end, it won't matter that much since either Sandstrom or Hart will pass them by.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not surprised about London leading the OHL at all. One of the best run franchises and an incredible facility with regards to Budweiser Gardens. I'm surprised more coaches and executives aren't poached from there.

When you have people in place in the highest positions who have really no desire to leave it hurts that front. Dale Hunter pretty much seems like a lifer as a HC so that hurts the upward mobility there for coaches.

But since Mark Hunter left his GM spot for Toronto they're on their second GM. As Basil McRae who was Hunter's replacement took a job with the Blue Jackets. Rob Simpson got promoted to GM now from his AGM spot.

The Hunter brothers pretty much built a machine there at this point. Any GM is going to be in advantage with Dale in place as the HC & it looks like he has no interest in heading back to the NHL.

Last edited:

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
When you have people in place in the highest positions who have really no desire to leave it hurts that front. Dale Hunter pretty much seems like a lifer as a HC so that hurts the upward mobility there for coaches.

But since Mark Hunter left his GM spot for Toronto they're on their second GM. As Basil McRae who was Hunter's replacement took a job with the Blue Jackets. Rob Simpson got promoted to GM now from his AGM spot.

The Hunter brothers pretty much built a machine there at this point. Any GM is going to be in advantage with Dale in place as the HC & it looks like he has no interest in heading back to the NHL.

After the way things went for him in Washington I don't blame him. He's got a good thing going there and he knows it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
After the way things went for him in Washington I don't blame him. He's got a good thing going there and he knows it.

IIRC he just did that as a favor to Washington but didn't have much interest staying past the year. I could be wrong though.

London having him behind the bench is a huge advantage. They don't have to worry about turnover there like other teams in juniors do.

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
IIRC he just did that as a favor to Washington but didn't have much interest staying past the year. I could be wrong though.

London having him behind the bench is a huge advantage. They don't have to worry about turnover there like other teams in juniors do.

I thought he didn't come back because he was tired of all the drama between him and Ovechkin. He was the guy who tried to make Ovi and the rest of the team play a more balanced defensive game, and he caught a lot of flak for it. He doesn't have to put up with that BS in London.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I liked what I saw from Ivan Kosorenkov in the rookie game against NYI.

I was looking at his stats from the QMJHL last season and from his time in Russia in the MHL and U-17 team.

Kosorenkov could end up being another undrafted gem that the scouts found in Victoriaville.
I would like to see Hextall offer Kosorenkov a ELC contract.

Kosorenkov could end up being a scoring machine with Tigres de Victoriaville for a few more seasons of developing time. We never know this kid could end of being another Tarasenko or Panarin in 2-3 years.
I trust Hextall's eye when it comes to finding talent, we've seen that with the find of Phil Myers and with some the the picks Hextall has made during his tenure as GM.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I liked what I saw from Ivan Kosorenkov in the rookie game against NYI.

I was looking at his stats from the QMJHL last season and from his time in Russia in the MHL and U-17 team.

Kosorenkov could end up being another undrafted gem that the scouts found in Victoriaville.
I would like to see Hextall offer Kosorenkov a ELC contract.

Kosorenkov could end up being a scoring machine with Tigres de Victoriaville for a few more seasons of developing time. We never know this kid could end of being another Tarasenko or Panarin in 2-3 years.
I trust Hextall's eye when it comes to finding talent, we've seen that with the find of Phil Myers and with some the the picks Hextall has made during his tenure as GM.

After reading your posts I sometimes wonder if you're a Bot.

I'm only partially joking :laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Alexander Appleyard†@avappleyard 15h15 hours ago
More
.@NHLFlyers Ivan Fedotov stopped 29/31 (.935sv%) shots today in a 3-2 OT win for Toros in the VHL.
1 reply 1 retweet 7 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 1 Like 7

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Vampire Hockey League out of Transylvania. Appleyard will be by shortly to tell us who to watch out for this season. They don't have any day games, which is nice.

:hhouse: :vampire:

In all seriousness though the VHL is the Supreme Hockey League in Russian, it's the equivalent of the AHL.

Then there's VHL-B which is the equivalent of the ECHL and the MHL is Russian major junior hockey like the CHL or USHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad