Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Media and Team Links

LEHIGH VALLEY PHANTOMS' (AHL) MEDIA AND TEAM COVERAGE​

READING ROYALS' (ECHL) MEDIA AND TEAM COVERAGE​
Name | Link
ECHL
| http://echl.com/
Reading Eagle
| http://readingeagle.com/readingroyals
Jason Guarente's Twitter​
| https://twitter.com/JasonGuarente
Reading Royals​
| http://royalshockey.com
Twitter​
| https://twitter.com/RRoyalsHockey
==================================

Prior Threads

Last edited:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Who do we think is going to be looking good at Trial on the Isle this year?

I feel like Rubstov is going to come out of the gates strong and I hope Laberge doesn't look to shakey.

Somebody will take this seriously

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Who do we think is going to be looking good at Trial on the Isle this year?

I feel like Rubstov is going to come out of the gates strong and I hope Laberge doesn't look to shakey.

Somebody will take this seriously

Wade Allison would be my bet big thick kid who competes.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
What's his story shaping up like? Projection?

I also can't find a bunch of in on Laberge (sp) on phone...

Others that watch their games would be better to answer ur questions but I can summarize what I have read about allison 6'2" 205 lb goal scoring power forward with 2nd line winger upside possible. Comes up big in bigger more meaningful games. There are highlight videos on YouTube to watch including a 12 minute highlight of his draft year. He caught my eye in the prospect camp video and trial on the isle video from last year.

Laberge was really set back by the concussion he suffered last season hopefully he bounces back.really rooting for this kid to succeed.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Radel Fazleev interview to Russian media outlet

Below is my translation of excerpts from Fazleev's interview to a Russian Media outlet.
I omitted some stuff not related to Phantoms/ Flyers. Additionally, I am not a professional translator- I speak broken English fluently. Please reach out to me for clarifications.

Radel Fazleev: Only time will show who made a mistake “AK Bars†or me.
Interview to Business on line
https://sport.business-gazeta.ru/article/192547

Recorded by Djaudat Abdullin

“The coach asked me to play a simple game.â€

Q: Radel, you had not played in play-offs. Were you injured?

A: No, my health was OK. Psychologically I had a tough season. I was not able to find common language with the coach. Why? Let’s start with the fact that the team had not made playoffs in prior 7 seasons. That’s why the roster was greatly improved in off- season and it was much different. I befriended a lot of guys in my first year, but was not able to play due to the arm fracture. I hardly recognized the team when I arrived to the preseason camp last year. The club had spent some money to sign veterans and was evident that they would play on the first 2 lines. There were 3 very strong centers, and, realistically speaking, the only place available for me was the fourth line. I do not mind, but that’s totally different style of play. The coach’s objectives for me were to run, hit, and intimidate opponents with my energy. The main task was not to let a goal against, scoring a goal was a bonus that was not required of us. I realize that the team needs role players, but that does not play to my strong suits. To begin with, I am not that fast, additionally my trump card is play-making and that was not welcomed by coaching staff. I tried to play according to coaches’ plans, but it was not good. When I tried to create plays, to make a positive impressions I happened to make mistakes and I had been benched for that. The coach had pointed out my deviations from the plans. Nevertheless, I had played pretty regularly before the New Year. Then we started playing more important games and the coach made a decision to play more experienced players. There was a situation when one of the players was PKing 3-5 for entire 2 minutes.

Q: Nevertheless, team’s site had a banner; “Thank you for the fantastic season!â€

A: I do not argue with that, it was really fantastic season. The team made playoffs for the first time in 7 years. I just explained why I was not able to contribute at the top of my abilities. The closer to the playoff we were the more I was scratched, and an older veteran was playing in my place.

“One needs to continue thinking positivelyâ€.

Q: Did that upset you?

A: Of course it did. It was as well noticed by a development coach. He told that me that he had not recognized me; that I used to be upbeat, but hardly smiled at that time. In particular, he advised to change my mood, because my despair was helping neither me nor the club. By the way, the approach there is very different. In Russia if you are benched and you continue smiling the coaches consider you not being punished enough and continue benching you. It’s not the same in America. Therefore, I had realized that I had to revert back to positive thinking, find silver lining.
Despite everything, I gained a valuable experience, understood and reevaluated a lot.
It’s absolutely different hockey. When you are watching NHL games there are very few errors and giveaways. Perhaps, someone does not like the style of “dump and chase†hockey, but it allows offence to keep pressure and forecheck if puck is lost. It’s much better than having lost a puck at the blue line and allow a breakaway. It does make sense.
I understand my coach, but my style of hockey requires some freedom, some improvisation. And this freedom was afforded only to the experienced players, they were afforded a right for an error. As for the younger players- we had to play a very simple game. The veterans explained to us that it’s a rite of passage for everyone. Hence, I should not fault anyone, just keep working hard on my development. As for the fault- it’s mine. No coach will make decisions that hurt a team.

Q: Aren’t you afraid that you next season will look exactly like the previous one?

A: It won’t be! I have gained a lot of experience during last season. I am glad that I’ve gained it now not when I am benched at 25-26.
Everyone goes through this.

“There are a lot of little things in hockey that make a huge differenceâ€

Q: What was the priority for the Phantoms: to make playoffs or to develop prospects for the Flyers?

A: This is an interesting question for me. It seems that when the team was weak the prospects had more playing time. This year, however, 3 Flyers prospects seemed to have limited playing time.

Q: Including Sanheim?

A: No, Travis played a lot. He was a first round pick and he was afforded certain freedoms on the rink. Perhaps, he played timidly in the beginning, but began to realize his potential by the end of the season. I, on the other hand, was picked in the 6th round and that is a fundamental difference. At some point of time, all 3 of us were not listed for the games. We began to ask the same question between ourselves: what is more important for the team- victories or our development. We did not find the answer, but we agreed that it was more important to us to be with more experienced players in the AHL than to play more minutes in juniors. I had thought I knew everything about hockey before I started playing for the Phantoms. But knowledge is not equal to skills. Many a time I have asked my senior partners to stay on the ice after the training and teach me nuances.
There are a lot of little things in the NHL that make a huge difference. In essence, I understand that being among professionals I have to learn, learn, and learn. And that’s just the AHL. It’s easy to imagine that had I played against Crosby or Malkin right now I would have, probably, quit hockey.

“Everyone in the AHL dreams to play in the NHLâ€

Q: In the light of the NHL ban on the Olympic participation, do you think that AHL players can play in the Olympics instead of the NHLers?

A: I have read articles discussing this idea, but we even have not talked about this opportunity. Everyone’s dream is to play in the NHL. As for the players’ skill level, I am confident that they would be competing for the gold in the Olympic Games.

Q: “AK Bars†general manager stated that you had made a mistake signing an ELC with the Flyers and that you would be back in the KHL soon. (I loosely translated this question, because it was to convoluted)

A: I read this statement in your interview. I do not want to argue with him. All due respect to him, he has his own opinion, and I have mine. The matter of fact is that I did not sign the contract right after the draft. I signed it a year after, when I had not received any offers from AK Bars. I was 19 years old then, and I wanted to be financially independent from my parents.
My father, who has been my role model for my entire life, was supporting a family at 19. And I was ashamed to ask for money, especially then (my father was just laid off from AK Bars junior program). Meanwhile, the Flyers offered me a contract with the sign-in bonus. How could I refuse it? Of course, I will always remember my years in AK Bars junior program fondly. It’s the best junior program in Russia. But only time will tell if I made a mistake by signing the contract, or, perhaps, the club that had forgotten about me.

Q: What are you expecting from the upcoming season?

A: Most likely a transition into absolutely professional, without any discounts for myself, hockey. I realize that hockey is my job with the professional accountability for it. I believe, I spent previous year for the adaptation to the new league, new level. I will travel to the USA in July to participate in the development camp and will stay there to prepare for the new season. From July to September I will devote myself to training only. It will not be easy, but I have to do it in order to elevate myself to a new level.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Scott Gordon.

rrr.gif

Scott ****ing Gordon.

Radel just confirming what we all thought about the clown show down there that wasn't helping most of the kids. If we notice, the players definitely notice. Thank you for the translation. Some real gems in here:

Psychologically I had a tough season. I was not able to find common language with the coach. Why? Let's start with the fact that the team had not made playoffs in prior 7 seasons. That�s why the roster was greatly improved in off- season and it was much different. I befriended a lot of guys in my first year, but was not able to play due to the arm fracture. I hardly recognized the team when I arrived to the preseason camp last year.

The coach�s objectives for me were to run, hit, and intimidate opponents with my energy. The main task was not to let a goal against, scoring a goal was a bonus that was not required of us. I realize that the team needs role players, but that does not play to my strong suits. To begin with, I am not that fast, additionally my trump card is play-making and that was not welcomed by coaching staff. I tried to play according to coaches� plans, but it was not good. When I tried to create plays, to make a positive impressions I happened to make mistakes and I had been benched for that. The coach had pointed out my deviations from the plans. Nevertheless, I had played pretty regularly before the New Year. Then we started playing more important games and the coach made a decision to play more experienced players. There was a situation when one of the players was PKing 3-5 for entire 2 minutes

He told that me that he had not recognized me; that I used to be upbeat, but hardly smiled at that time. In particular, he advised to change my mood, because my despair was helping neither me nor the club.

I understand my coach, but my style of hockey requires some freedom, some improvisation. And this freedom was afforded only to the experienced players, they were afforded a right for an error. As for the younger players- we had to play a very simple game.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I bet he told the same think to NAK about not trying to score and just grinding like a no skill plug.

What an idiot.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I bet he told the same think to NAK about not trying to score and just grinding like a no skill plug.

What an idiot.

Positive NAK was one of the other players he was talking about. At a certain point Gordon was rotating one of Fazleev, NAK, & Knight out of the lineup every game.

Gordon is a total buffoon though so not really shocking. Like said above just aligns with what people were already thinking. Gordon had a quote himself earlier in the year that always stuck with me. He said he never previously coached as many prospects of value before. He said maybe they had one a year or so in his previous AHL stint which was with Boston's farm club. He certainly has continued to coach that way here with the Phantoms. :laugh:

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
"The coach's objectives for me were to run, hit, and intimidate opponents with my energy. The main task was not to let a goal against, scoring a goal was a bonus that was not required of us."

Sounds like he's on the Bellemare development program. Such a terrible approach.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's good to know that when Myers gets benched and plays simple, off the glass and out 3rd pair minutes that Scott Gordon can say it's because he was undrafted and gets afforded less opportunity.

Only a CDP spittle flecked rant could accurately show my frustration. Looking forward to another year or more with this guy behind the bench.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
For as long as he's there, the best development path is probably CHL directly to NHL, at least for forwards.

He better be gone before Rubtsov is done in the CHL. ******* around with a 6th round pick is one thing, doing it to a 1st round pick with high potential is something completely different. NAK too, to a slightly smaller degree. He's a promising 2nd round pick who definitely has enough offense in his game to deserve real playing time. **** those AHL vets, **** the playoffs, **** everything other than developing players, but most of all, **** Gordon.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
"The coach's objectives for me were to run, hit, and intimidate opponents with my energy. The main task was not to let a goal against, scoring a goal was a bonus that was not required of us."

Sounds like he's on the Bellemare development program. Such a terrible approach.

Teams bring European prospects over earlier to NA to avoid these situations. Meanwhile Scott Gordon has been applying them down there for the past years in a league that prides itself on development. Even the first year when the team was losing anyway. :laugh:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Thanks as always for the translation, CSKA.

If I comment on the disheartening quotes, I'm going into a CDP rant. Gordor is a dinosaur.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

If you are Hextall, how can you read this and be ok with it???

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think that's Gordon, but Hextall.

And Fazleev admits he learned to understand why they wanted him to play that way, that while it was frustrating, he also learned a lot about playing the NA game.

I think the approach for lesser talented players is to have them concentrate on defense and forechecking their first season, then expand their offensive role once they're reliable. Since the future role for these players is going to be as a bottom six forward, if they can't master forechecking and defense, they have no NHL future. Next season, with some veteran forwards gone, I'd expect AK, Fazleev and Bardeau to play a bigger offensive role.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If you are Hextall, how can you read this and be ok with it???

I really doubt Hextall has any issue with a 6th round pick getting that type of treatment. If it happens to Rubtsov maybe he would object, but Hextall seems to be all in favor of the old school, tough love approach. Hextall was the guy who put Lamarche on the Phantoms roster in March and left him there while Friedman and Myers played cards in the press box.

Fazleev seems like a really smart kid and hopefully he'll get more opportunities this season with Laughton, Miele, Zengerle and some other veteran forwards gone.

At some point of time, all 3 of us were not listed for the games.

NAK, Fazleev and Willcox seemed to be the prospects who lost their spots the most down the stretch. NAK less so than the other two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad