Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [April-May 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Ws & Ls are a professional coach’s job or he won’t have one for long.

I can't disagree, GB, but there have to be a list of criteria for each AHL coach, particularly with the parent club that is bringing up multiple top players throughout a season. The optimal will be W-L success with a roster primarily composed of prospects, rather than stat-padding AHL lifers. It would be a pretty myopic FO that punishes their AHL coach for properly prioritizing prospects -- yes, I like alliteration! -- and getting mediocre results, especially if they were depleted by callups.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009

Darn you and your 2-minutes-faster posting, FLY!

I am very pleased that my hoped-for low-profile change is coming to fruition. Now they just need a forward-thinking hotshot to rework the Phantoms' play strategy! Maybe Groulx?

iu

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Gordon and Huffman leaving is bad news for anyone expecting any Flyers assistants to be fired. Not that they’re mutually exclusive.

Reactions: renberg

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
The optimal will be W-L success with a roster primarily composed of prospects, rather than stat-padding AHL lifers.
I think mix of both is needed to succeed in the AHL, Bern, and one needs not to look any further than Lehigh's in-state rivals to see examples. Hershey and Wilkes-Barre have managed to largely stay competitive for 15 years despite their parent clubs not having much in their cupboards. They have squeezed the most out of the young talent they do have while surrounding them with good veterans. This year's Bears team was an example, with 19 year old Connor McMichael and 36 year old Matt Moulson finishing first and second in points, respectively, on the team that finished first in the league. Grand Rapids and Toronto have also had recent success with a mix of prospects and veterans- after all, these young guys have to have someone else on the roster around to show them the pro ropes. I think the most important factor with coaching is someone who can help the young players both acclimate to the pros and then prepare them for the next step through their system, which doesn't appear to have been one of Gordon's strengths.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gordon and Huffman leaving is bad news for anyone expecting any Flyers assistants to be fired. Not that they’re mutually exclusive.

Chuckles already gave the entire coaching staff the full vote of confidence. He's EXCITED to have all 3 of them back.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They’re so funny. Likely from people who rarely (if ever) watched the Phantoms. This is a HUGELY positive thing. Best thing Fletcher has done in this shitass season.

Not if he hire someone even worse to replace him, which is VERY capable of.

My money is on another ex-Wild guy.

John Torchetti or Derek Lalonde probably.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
I think mix of both is needed to succeed in the AHL, Bern, and one needs not to look any further than Lehigh's in-state rivals to see examples. Hershey and Wilkes-Barre have managed to largely stay competitive for 15 years despite their parent clubs not having much in their cupboards. They have squeezed the most out of the young talent they do have while surrounding them with good veterans. This year's Bears team was an example, with 19 year old Connor McMichael and 36 year old Matt Moulson finishing first and second in points, respectively, on the team that finished first in the league. Grand Rapids and Toronto have also had recent success with a mix of prospects and veterans- after all, these young guys have to have someone else on the roster around to show them the pro ropes. I think the most important factor with coaching is someone who can help the young players both acclimate to the pros and then prepare them for the next step through their system, which doesn't appear to have been one of Gordon's strengths.

Good correction, Straw. What I had in my head was primarily prospects in the key positions but that didn't come out in my post. Yes, definitely a mix but I don't think an AHL coach should be scared to go with the unproven guy even in critical situations. In fact, that's frequently the best time to do so.
  • Put your prospects in places that will help them develop
  • Add in veterans to help them succeed
  • Drill in the playing style of the parent club

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm going to guess it's someone with a defensive reputation and not someone with a new-age approach to the sport.

I know there is a relationship between John Torchetti and Fletcher/Flahr still (big influence on the Desnoyers pick). He didn't coach this year and no idea if he wants to but that is a name.

If they are going to go with a new-age approach, I'd be looking to the Chicago Steel. They have been a wagon for a couple years now and they are known for being innovative (defensemen taking draws!). Toronto plucked Greg Moore last year to coach the Marlies. Brock Sheahan took over and they haven't missed a beat since. That would be something I'd look into.

Darn you and your 2-minutes-faster posting, FLY!

I am very pleased that my hoped-for low-profile change is coming to fruition. Now they just need a forward-thinking hotshot to rework the Phantoms' play strategy! Maybe Groulx?

iu
You can thank Elliotte Friedman because I keep forgetting to turn off his tweet notifications.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Good correction, Straw. What I had in my head was primarily prospects in the key positions but that didn't come out in my post. Yes, definitely a mix but I don't think an AHL coach should be scared to go with the unproven guy even in critical situations. In fact, that's frequently the best time to do so.
  • Put your prospects in places that will help them develop
  • Add in veterans to help them succeed
  • Drill in the playing style of the parent club
We are on the same page then:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5.00