Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [April-May 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If they are going to go with a new-age approach, I'd be looking to the Chicago Steel. They have been a wagon for a couple years now and they are known for being innovative (defensemen taking draws!). Toronto plucked Greg Moore last year to coach the Marlies. Brock Sheahan took over and they haven't missed a beat since. That would be something I'd look into.

I think it was in one of Friedman’s recent 31 Thoughts piece but he implied that Chicago’s GM Ryan Hardy is likely going to make a jump to an NHL FO this offseason.

Maybe Toronto.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gilles Bouchard....?

Let’s just laugh and agree this timing was impeccable. Also, he won a lot this season!

It is kind of funny that, despite Gordon's hallmark systems issues, the Phantoms were a better team in terms of entertainment value and on-ice results than the Flyers this past season and yet AV stays and Gordor goes.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I wonder if one of Yeo or Therrien are going to go to Lehigh Valley

Mrs. Parent, in a pique of anger at our oldest child (then 4), picked up a balloon and showed it to him. She then popped it with a pin while staring him in the eye. Your post reminded me of that.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Normally I'd be relieved and excited for the next hire, hopeful for a new start and a fresh new system and development process

I have since learned this will absolutely not happen and expect another meatsack of hot air to blow teachings of a safe, pucks in deep, pucks to the net, heavy brand of hockey out of his stale, morning breath mouth while giving the AHL vets reacharounds

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Twitter replies to the Flyers account announcing Gordon’s departure are gold. I’m sure everyone with a reply has an AHL subscription.

In close second today for comedic value was reading a comment in today’s Athletic article that Hextall’s biggest draft mistake was selecting Sanheim above.......Kapanen.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Normally I'd be relieved and excited for the next hire, hopeful for a new start and a fresh new system and development process

I have since learned this will absolutely not happen and expect another meatsack of hot air to blow teachings of safe, pucks in deep, pucks to the net, heavy brand of hockey out of his stale, morning breath mouth while giving the AHL vets reacharounds

I didn't expect Gordon to leave / get pushed out so that's a happy surprise. I'll allow myself to be cautiously optimistic for now. For me, though, the issue will be how much the new Phantoms coach will appear to be a threat to any of the Get-Along Gang's tenure behind the Flyers' bench. Any up-and-comer could be perceived as a shot across Vigneault's bow, which would be the right thing to do but I would expect angry words between him and Fletcher if that came to pass.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What the hell did they fire Gordon for?!

We finally get our NHL and AHL systems to match up and now this?!?! Everything was looking up for us!

My only comfort is knowing that Fletcher will find an even more old school coach who puts even less emphasis on puck possession. We need these prospects to play the right way and wear big boy pants.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not to overdramatize but whoever Fletcher hires will tell a lot about the direction of this franchise. An AHL coach itself is not very important to the success of a franchise, but the thought process of how they got there and how it branches off can be.

They just CANNOT go with another recycled veteran coach. They have to get some new blood and new ideas into this organization (especially with zero changes to the NHL staff).

The minor leagues are the ultimate testing grounds. I mean some of those NBA teams (mainly Morey and the Rockets) pushed everything to the limits when they finally got minor league affiliates. There is no penalty for being unconventional at that level and there’s a whole lot of upside.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I never thought I’d say this, but I’m almost ready to root for Toronto to win the cup. Just to show these dinosaurs that they’re getting outsmarted by a 17 year old GM who has never ice skated in his life.

I can almost guarantee the closest Chuck came to ice skating was when he took a girlfriend — who his mom set him up with — out for a public skate date, but he got a little nervous so, when they arrived, he said he had a stomach cramp and promptly drove her back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad