TSN: Phaneuf asked to waive No-Move clause | Update: He said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Oh hey, Tobias Enstrom waived his NMC for Winnipeg.

I thought the people on HFSens that were saying we needed to be a good guy franchise, giving guys like Phillips, Neil and Boro contract extensions that were a year too long would have a positive effect because then players would be more willing to do us a favour when we needed it.

We're the only franchise that had three separate guys (Heatley, Spezza, Phaneuf), not waive when we needed them to.

Turns out doing players a favour to the detriment of the team doesn't actually create any goodwill for the players to do the same back.
Loyalty is so overplayed in the NHL. Do whatever it takes to make your team better.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So Ottawa stands pat & we will soon see who LV takes from our roster.

Who will it be? You can only pick one guy.

I say Wideman.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

I say Wideman.

Wishful thinking man, if either of Methot or Pageau are exposed one of them are gone, maybe even Brassard.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

I say Wideman.

It's a tough one, yesterday I was convinced it would be Methot but today I'm leaning towards Claesson. It will be easier for us to guess once we see everyone's exposed list tomorrow.

Vegas I think will take a mixture of players that can play now, players they can trade and players for the future. They won't go all in on the future, they can't.

Methot represents quite a bit they can use, leadership, mentor to young players and probably a fan favourite for a new franchise. Claesson is someone that can grow with the franchise.

I have thought the Sens would go 4/4 all along but after the Phaneuf request and Dorion's comments about being the most comfortable with his defence, I think it will be 7/3.

It's been a fun exercise in trying to think this one through. So far the hockey media has been almost completely wrong in their predictions.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's easy to understand Methot's importance to a new team but he is 31 yrs old & they need to build for the future. Looking at the defencemen on this roster who would make the most sense? I doubt Pageau gets exposed but Dzingel may & I don't see LV taking MacArthur or Ryan.

Methot - aging defensive defencemen
Claesson - defensive defenceman with some offence just starting his NHL career at 24 yrs old.
Boroweicki - about the same as Claesson although 3 yrs older, much tougher with less skill
Wideman - PMD, potential PP quarterback, AHL defenceman of the yr, 27 yrs old, small & soft

IMO it's between Claesson & Wideman & I would probably take Wideman. Ottawa had Wideman playing a bottom pairing role & IMO he would be better suited to play a more offensive role higher up in the lineup. I doubt Claesson could ever quarterback a PP & will likely be a 5th or 6th defenceman occasionally playing on the 2nd pairing due to injury.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
It's easy to understand Methot's importance to a new team but he is 31 yrs old & they need to build for the future. Looking at the defencemen on this roster who would make the most sense? I doubt Pageau gets exposed but Dzingel may & I don't see LV taking MacArthur or Ryan.

Claesson - defensive defenceman with some offence just starting his NHL career at 24 yrs old.
Boroweicki - about the same as Claesson although 3 yrs older, much tougher with less skill
Wideman - PMD, potential PP quarterback, AHL defenceman of the yr, 27 yrs old, small & soft

IMO it's between Claesson & Wideman & I would probably take Wideman. Ottawa had Wideman playing a bottom pairing role & IMO he would be better suited to play a more offensive role higher up in the lineup. I doubt Claesson could ever quarterback a PP & will likely be a 5th or 6th defenceman occasionally playing on the 2nd pairing due to injury.

Methot could captain Vegas.

That has value too.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Michael Stone will be a target in my opinion.

Stone is a RHD who plays only RD. As it stands we'd already have Karlsson, Ceci, and Wideman there and Phaneuf willing/wanting to switch.

Personally, if Ottawa does decide they NEED to replace Methot on the FA market, I liked what I saw from UFA Brendan Smith against NYR.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
with the cap we will gain from losing Methot, I wonder if Kovalchuk is a legit option

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm expecting Methot to remain a Senator, with Dorion trading CGY's 2nd to get McPhee to take Dzingel/Claesson.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

Vegas needs to build for the future but they also need to ice the best team they can too. As said, we'll see better tomorrow when all the lists are public. There may not be any Laurie Boschmans on the lists so Methot could be the next best captain.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I'm expecting Methot to remain a Senator, with Dorion trading CGY's 2nd to get McPhee to take Dzingel/Claesson.

I expected just that to happen last week, then they wouldn't even have had to ask Phaneuf to waive. The fact it didn't says to me that McPhee is asking for much more. If it were only a second it would have been done, easy. Guessing, but McPhee's price seems to be a first plus a prospect to stay away from players.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I expected just that to happen last week, then they wouldn't even have had to ask Phaneuf to waive. The fact it didn't says to me that McPhee is asking for much more. If it were only a second it would have been done, easy. Guessing, but McPhee's price seems to be a first plus a prospect to stay away from players.

It could be done already.. The NHL has told teams not to leak these trades.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
It's easy to understand Methot's importance to a new team but he is 31 yrs old & they need to build for the future.

Vegas has to build for Today. That's also what our Expansion brother Tampa had to do in 1992, while Ottawa built for the Future. It's not hard building a fan base in Canada, but in a warm climate like Vegas, you can't do the slow build.

Regarding Methot, I thought I read in the "Ottawa Sun", that Dorion was going to protect all his Defence and take a chance on the Forwards in Vegas??? (Dont' quote me on this)

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
It could be done already.. The NHL has told teams not to leak these trades.

Maybe, but it seems backwards to me. They wouldn't have asked Phaneuf to waive if a second was all it took to protect Methot. You try that first, not go through the effort of asking Phaneuf. We'll see, but I do find this chess game fascinating.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Maybe, but it seems backwards to me. They wouldn't have asked Phaneuf to waive if a second was all it took to protect Methot. You try that first, not go through the effort of asking Phaneuf. We'll see, but I do find this chess game fascinating.

Unlesss they wanted to protect Claesson too..

Have to try and have all your bases covered and do all your due diligence.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Sorry, but Dorion needs to do anything in his power to try to get Vegas to choose anyone else besides Methot.

Offer up our 1st round pick if you must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad