TSN: Phaneuf asked to waive No-Move clause | Update: He said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Of course Vegas will take a Methot, to they can easily get a 1st round pick for hi. In a flip trade. Easily.

We'd have to trade them at least our 1st round pick to protect him. Maybe Vegas takes the 1st to save the cap hit Methot comes with, and they take one of our other players - but my guess is they take Nethot and flip him to a team that wants him, probably Edmonton or Pitt is my guess.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Sorry, but Dorion needs to do anything in his power to try to get Vegas to choose anyone else besides Methot.

Offer up our 1st round pick if you must.

What if the price is the 1st plus Dzingel, do you still do it? I wouldn't, you're starting to get into too many young assets for diminishing returns. This is what I suspect happened, the price was too high to protect the D core.

Dorion has been kind of warning us that this was what was going on with his comments about Vegas paying a big price to enter the league and that we were going to lose a good player. He then made a comment about being the least worried about the D depth. It sucks but they will survive.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I hope they take Ryan and we sign radulov 7mX5

Replace one albatross with another? No thanks. Radulov's bailing on the team he signed a contract with (as well as his breaking curfew during their playoff run) shows he has a bad attitude. Don't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
What if the price is the 1st plus Dzingel, do you still do it? I wouldn't, you're starting to get into too many young assets for diminishing returns. This is what I suspect happened, the price was too high to protect the D core.

Dorion has been kind of warning us that this was what was going on with his comments about Vegas paying a big price to enter the league and that we were going to lose a good player. He then made a comment about being the least worried about the D depth. It sucks but they will survive.

We will see.

Dorion better have a plan to try to replace Methot. And i don't mean plugging in a player like Cleasson or a rookie like Chabot in the top 4.

Last edited:

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
We will see.

Dorion better have a plan to try to replace Methot. And i don't mean plugging in a player like Cleasson or a rookie like Chabot in the top 4.

I'd expect it is mostly internal, moving POhaneuf up to #1 which is somewhat woprkable with Karlsson as a partner.

The issue then though is Claesson moves up to #2, and if you thought Phaneuf/Ceci was terrible at handling the tough opponents this year, next year will be a gong show. If everyone thinks Cecis advanced stats were rough, they really need to look at Claessons, especially in the playoffs. 46% corsi when you have 67% offensive zone starts?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I'd expect it is mostly internal, moving POhaneuf up to #1 which is somewhat woprkable with Karlsson as a partner.

The issue then though is Claesson moves up to #2, and if you thought Phaneuf/Ceci was terrible at handling the tough opponents this year, next year will be a gong show. If everyone thinks Cecis advanced stats were rough, they really need to look at Claessons, especially in the playoffs. 46% corsi when you have 67% offensive zone starts?

Phaneuf should not be put on the top pairing. He is not a top pairing defenseman anymore.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Was Kuba a top pairing Dman in 11-12?

I'd like to aim higher than our 8th place finish in 2012. Obviously our roster is completely different now but things like that aren't a typical recipe for success.
We can get away with Dion on the 1st pair but I'd rather not

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
they can do that? that gives them an upper hand in trade talks

Vegas has let it be known that it is an open auction on any exposed players.

Aside from certain players no trade clauses, there is nothing stopping them from picking a player and trading them right away. All the lists get released tomorrow morning, so what is likely to happen is rival GMs will look at the list, find a player they like, and send Vegas offers. If Vegas for example then feels like the offer they get for a Marc Methot is worth more than selecting any of the Sens players for their own roster, they'd select Methot and move him to the team offering them the trade.

The fact that we even went through this entire ordeal with NMCs and trying to trade a top 4 D to prevent from losing them in the draft tells me that maybe McPhee may have been asking for a lot in a side deal. Like a future first.

But then the fact that we didn't end up trading either player might indicate the market for Methot or Phaneuf was very soft. So if that is the case, and it doesn't change after expansion when more teams can get in on it due to not having to protect Methot, maybe Dorion can circle back and have an opportunity to make a cheaper side deal with McPhee.

I'm not getting my hopes up though because thinking from Vegas' perspective, even know he is 31 and there are young options like Claesson, Methot would be a fantastic pick. You can't just have a team full of 23 year olds, this isn't an EA spots game. Methot would be a great stabilizing presence and mentor on their blueline, and a possible first captain in the room.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd like to aim higher than our 8th place finish in 2012. Obviously our roster is completely different now but things like that aren't a typical recipe for success.
We can get away with Dion on the 1st pair but I'd rather not

Are you suggesting that our top pair was the reason we didn't finish higher than 8th in 11-12?

Kuba and Karlsson had a ~57% GF at 5v5.

The problem with that team likely had far more to do with having guys like Konopka, Daugavins, Wincester, O'Brien, Butler, Greening in the lineup.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Are you suggesting that our top pair was the reason we didn't finish higher than 8th in 11-12?

Kuba and Karlsson had a ~57% GF at 5v5.

The problem with that team likely had far more to do with having guys like Konopka, Daugavins, Wincester, O'Brien, Butler, Greening in the lineup.

No. I mentioned that our roster is completely different (better) now. Just because that worked once doesnt mean it will again.
I dont mean that it's the reason, but I'd rather not have Karlsson lugging around the corpse of an aging veteran. Kuba went to Florida the next season, looked like crap and was quickly out of the league.
Not that Dion is at that point yet, but he should not be on the top pairing IMO.

I would be ok with it if we got a solid second pairing guy to go with Ceci.

Last edited:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Vegas has let it be known that it is an open auction on any exposed players.

Aside from certain players no trade clauses, there is nothing stopping them from picking a player and trading them right away. All the lists get released tomorrow morning, so what is likely to happen is rival GMs will look at the list, find a player they like, and send Vegas offers. If Vegas for example then feels like the offer they get for a Marc Methot is worth more than selecting any of the Sens players for their own roster, they'd select Methot and move him to the team offering them the trade.

The fact that we even went through this entire ordeal with NMCs and trying to trade a top 4 D to prevent from losing them in the draft tells me that maybe McPhee may have been asking for a lot in a side deal. Like a future first.

But then the fact that we didn't end up trading either player might indicate the market for Methot or Phaneuf was very soft. So if that is the case, and it doesn't change after expansion when more teams can get in on it due to not having to protect Methot, maybe Dorion can circle back and have an opportunity to make a cheaper side deal with McPhee.

I'm not getting my hopes up though because thinking from Vegas' perspective, even know he is 31 and there are young options like Claesson, Methot would be a fantastic pick. You can't just have a team full of 23 year olds, this isn't an EA spots game. Methot would be a great stabilizing presence and mentor on their blueline, and a possible first captain in the room.
shieet. Yea Methot is gonna be considered if it comes to that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No. I mentioned that our roster is completely different (better) now. Just because that worked once doesnt mean it will again.
I dont mean that it's the reason, but I'd rather not have Karlsson lugging around the corpse of an aging veteran. Kuba went to Florida the next season, looked like crap and was quickly out of the league.
Not that Dion is at that point yet, but he should not be on the top pairing IMO.

I would be ok with it if we got a solid second pairing guy to go with Ceci.

Honestly, if you can't play with Karlsson on the first pair, you probably don't belong on a typical second pair either.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Honestly, if you can't play with Karlsson on the first pair, you probably don't belong on a typical second pair either.

Yeah, you're right about that. It's not that Dion can't do it, I just hope we don't resort to doing it. Definitely not my first choice.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No doubt he has skill but I am not sure he has the type of fight in his bones to help us to the next level.

Radulov was the heart of the Canadiens this year, gave it his all every game, and was easily their best forward game in game out.

Did you watch his playoffs? He was literally the only Hab who stepped up his game.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Oh hey, Tobias Enstrom waived his NMC for Winnipeg.

I thought the people on HFSens that were saying we needed to be a good guy franchise, giving guys like Phillips, Neil and Boro contract extensions that were a year too long would have a positive effect because then players would be more willing to do us a favour when we needed it.

We're the only franchise that had three separate guys (Heatley, Spezza, Phaneuf), not waive when we needed them to.

Turns out doing players a favour to the detriment of the team doesn't actually create any goodwill for the players to do the same back.

Or perhaps the choice between spending winter in Winnipeg or winter in Vegas was a no-brainer for him. Vegas is so close to Cali...easy for guys with money to have a lot of fun on their days off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad