TSN: Phaneuf asked to waive No-Move clause | Update: He said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If we lose Dzingel I think thats an expansion draft win for us. Not a bad player but not an important one either.

I am really really hoping Chabot is the real deal, to have a Ceci-Claesson third pairing someday would be great.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There's no word yet whether the Senators have also asked winger Bobby Ryan to waive his no-move clause. Ryan is the team's only other player who owns a no-move and is signed through the 2021-22 season at a cap hit of $7.25 million.

Bad reporting TSN :(

FYI Ryan doesn't have to be protected, his NMC was specifically written to only be in relation to the minors. He wasn't on the list the NHL released of players having to be protected in the draft due to NMCs.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If we lose Dzingel I think thats an expansion draft win for us. Not a bad player but not an important one either.

I am really really hoping Chabot is the real deal, to have a Ceci-Claesson third pairing someday would be great.

Yeah. Keeping the top 4 D + Claesson should be the main objective here.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah. Keeping the D corps intact should be the main objective here.

Agreed. I'm assuming the 7th spot is between Burrows, Ryan and Dzingel.

I wouldn't care if we lost either. Burrows would be frustrating because we gave up Dahlen for a portion of 1 season of subpar play

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I would imagine that Dorion did his homework and has confirmed with GMGM that Vegas will not take Dion in the expansion draft, which leads me to think that they are confident that Dion will waive his NMC.

Still curious to see how the expansion raft works out, but if this results in the top 4 D being safe, then that's a big win.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

I don't think Dzingel is a huge loss. I'd prefer to lose someone else like Wideman, but I think he is a lot closer to what we saw later on in the season than to what we saw earlier on when he was catching defenders off guard with is speed.

If the guy could magically learn to finish, he could be a stud, but what are the odds of that happening at 25? If he goes to Vegas, I could see him having a big year because there won't be as much competition for top 6 spots. Every expansion team has guys like that who end up putting up career highs because of the situation. Ultimately though, if we keep him, he's probably a 3rd or even a 4th liner (if Boucher uses him like he did to close out the season) who might max out at 30 points on a good year. He's really not a big loss.

If Phaneuf waives, I'd guess this would be our list....

Turris, Brassard, Pageau, Hoffman, Stone, Smith, Burrrows
EXPOSED: Ryan, Dzingel (RFA), Stalberg (UFA), Pyatt (UFA), Wingels (UFA), (Oh yeah almost forgot) MacArthur

Karlsson, Ceci, Methot.
EXPOSED: Phaneuf, Wideman, Claesson, Borowiecki

Anderson
EXPOSED: Hammond, Driedger, Condon (UFA)

They'd have to sign a forward to meet the requirements which shouldn't be an issue. I think the protect Burrows with the last spot because it doesn't make sense to take a chance on him being taken if Dorion actually thinks Burrows is as valuable as he dictated he was at the deadline. Ryan's contract supposedly doesn't make him an option for Vegas. Mac should be safe because Vegas would be insane to take a player who has missed the better part of two years with concussions and has multiple years left at 4.65M even if he did look like his old self in the playoffs. It's just not a big enough sample size to justify the risk.

Maybe we lose Claesson if there is enough hype on him after he played well in a limited post season role. I guess it's entirely possibly Vegas would take Phaneuf or Ryan but with them using their cap space now to pick up assets, I think it is a lot less likely than it might have seemed a few weeks ago for them to take a good overpaid player without any form of compensation coming their way.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I think if Ryan gets exposed Vegas might take the risk because is he somewhat marketable to a American fan base and the playoffs he just had. I would expose burrows over him just because 20 goal 50 point players don't come easy even though he is over paid by 2 mill per season.

Vegas will not touch MacArthur.

If Phaneuf does take one for the team it's really big for this team's shot next year top 4 will stay intact with Chabot added to it.

Also assuming Phaneuf waives I would offer Vegas a second in the draft to take Wideman (pipedream boro) over claesson or dzingel who would be the likely candidates.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
This is a massive win for Ottawa if Phaneuf agrees to waive and McPhee has agreed not to take him.

Dzingel is not an important piece IMO. Won't miss him. Would rather lose him than Claesson.

An emerging scenario: should Ottawa try to trade Dzingel before the ED to get something back for him or as a part of a package for a Center rather than lose him for nothing, yet then risk losing someone like Claesson? Or are they better off agreeing to let Dzingel go to LV and just taking the loss and moving on?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would imagine that Dorion did his homework and has confirmed with GMGM that Vegas will not take Dion in the expansion draft, which leads me to think that they are confident that Dion will waive his NMC.

Still curious to see how the expansion raft works out, but if this results in the top 4 D being safe, then that's a big win.

I believe an expansion raft is one of those self inflating ones where you pull a cord and you suddenly have a nice little raft. It should be more than big enough to keep our top 4 D safe in the event of an emergency, and typically comes in bright colours like orange and yellow to make it easy for search and rescue teams to spot.

17378159_LRG.jpg

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Jesus Christ Micklebot :laugh:

This is a massive win for Ottawa if Phaneuf agrees to waive and McPhee has agreed not to take him.

Dzingel is not an important piece IMO. Won't miss him. Would rather lose him than Claesson.

An emerging scenario: should Ottawa try to trade Dzingel before the ED to get something back for him or as a part of a package for a Center rather than lose him for nothing, yet then risk losing someone like Claesson? Or are they better off agreeing to let Dzingel go to LV and just taking the loss and moving on?

If they take Dzingel, that's amazing. So leave him exposed. You trade guys like Ceci if you have to expose him, not guys like Dzingel, Wideman, etc.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I think if Ryan gets exposed Vegas might take the risk because is he somewhat marketable to a American fan base and the playoffs he just had. I would expose burrows over him just because 20 goal 50 point players don't come easy even though he is over paid by 2 mill per season.

This is pretty much what I've thought the entire time but so many people seem to think otherwise including a lot of NHL "insiders" and Bobby Ryan himself so I was probably wrong. I would protect Ryan over Burrows, but I would predict that the Senators would use the 7th spot on Burrows and leave Ryan+Dzingel unprotected.

Keep in mind, this was before the reports of Vegas taking on big contracts for draft picks. If they are going that route, and the Sens aren't willing to give them an asset to take Ryan, I guess it lowers the chances of them taking him since they will only have a finite amount of cap space to leverage to get picks/prospects in exchange for taking on big contracts.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Well played, Micklebot. I tip my hat to you. Haha.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
As a Ottawa / Vegas fan, I would want a draft pick with Ryan to take him over Dzingel.

Ryan is not the player he once was, and probably never will be again so that contract is not good.

They are going to be stuffed to the brim with quality defenders, so Claesson is safe as well as Wideman imo.

Keep in mind I am a big fan of Dzingel and think he has a lot more to show and have soured over Ryan (even with his playoffs)
He will be better back in the more physical Western Conference, but I would take Dzingel 9 times out of 10 over him.

I don't think McPhee would be out of his mind to at least request the 28th pick to take Ryan over Dzingel. Having Ryan off the books and signing someone like Vrbata, Williams, or Sharp...Hell even take a stab at Oshie or Radulov with the new found cap space would be a huge, huge win for Ottawa.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
As a Ottawa / Vegas fan, I would want a draft pick with Ryan to take him over Dzingel.

Ryan is not the player he once was, and probably never will be again so that contract is not good.

They are going to be stuffed to the brim with quality defenders, so Claesson is safe as well as Wideman imo.

Keep in mind I am a big fan of Dzingel and think he has a lot more to show and have soured over Ryan (even with his playoffs)
He will be better back in the more physical Western Conference, but I would take Dzingel 9 times out of 10 over him.

I don't think McPhee would be out of his mind to at least request the 28th pick to take Ryan over Dzingel. Having Ryan off the books and signing someone like Vrbata, Williams, or Sharp...Hell even take a stab at Oshie or Radulov with the new found cap space would be a huge, huge win for Ottawa.

Dzingel has never been a good point producer at any point in his entire hockey career. What you've seen from his is what you're going get from the guy. Quite frankly, Ottawa would be lucky if Vegas took Dzingel in the expansion draft.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Let them take Dzingel then, can find guys like him through development and UFA every year. If they take Ryan, so be it. Don't give our highest of 4 picks to do so.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Dzingel has never been a good point producer at any point in his entire hockey career. What you've seen from his is what you're going get from the guy. Quite frankly, Ottawa would be lucky if Vegas took Dzingel in the expansion draft.

I disagree. Per 82, Ryan and Dzingel were both on pace for 33 points. While Ryan will get his stuff together next year, he will still only be an overpaid 2nd line winger who will end up with like 50 points.

Dzingel can't finish, but his speed creates chances either way. Ryan, not scoring, and not in an angry mood (keep in mind this is rare) where he is playing the body, doesnt add what Dzingel does for this team.

Dzingel has 50 point 2nd line wing upside, for a lot cheaper than Ryan and is 5 years younger.

An improved Dzingel, and one of those UFA's if they sign I mentioned above would make a lot better use of the cap money and a better forward core.

I would give up the 1st to get rid of Ryan.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

If Phaneuf does take one for the team it's really big for this team's shot next year top 4 will stay intact with Chabot added to it.

Also assuming Phaneuf waives I would offer Vegas a second in the draft to take Wideman (pipedream boro) over claesson or dzingel who would be the likely candidates.

I think Vegas would strongly consider taking Ryan. They're going to be fine at goalie, and have a lot of defensive depth. Top 6 forwards is where they're going to have slim pickings. Taking Ryan, even with a sub-optimal contract, may be worth it to them.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I disagree. Per 82, Ryan and Dzingel were both on pace for 33 points. While Ryan will get his stuff together next year, he will still only be an overpaid 2nd line winger who will end up with like 50 points.

Dzingel can't finish, but his speed creates chances either way. Ryan, not scoring, and not in an angry mood (keep in mind this is rare) where he is playing the body, doesnt add what Dzingel does for this team.

Dzingel has 50 point 2nd line wing upside, for a lot cheaper than Ryan and is 5 years younger.

An improved Dzingel, and one of those UFA's if they sign I mentioned above would make a lot better use of the cap money and a better forward core.

I would give up the 1st to get rid of Ryan.

He really doesn't, he has the ceiling of a poor man's Carl Hagelin.

People are making it seem like he's a 21 year old rookie. He will be 26 next season. Like Wideman, what you see is what you get.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Jesus Christ Micklebot :laugh:

If they take Dzingel, that's amazing. So leave him exposed. You trade guys like Ceci if you have to expose him, not guys like Dzingel, Wideman, etc.

I Agree, I'd be extremely happy just letting them take Dzingel. Plenty of guys out there that can replace what he brings to the table, and we get to keep our important guys.

I don't know what Dzingel's trade value is around the league. I had a discussion with a Ducks fan on the main board discussing the value of Vatanen where he said he would take Dzingle for Vatanen from the Ducks perspective.

If that's the case and Dzingle does have that type of trade value, I'd consider looking to include him in a pre-ED trade. But I personally don't think he's valued that highly around the league.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

I would say that you're right at least Ottawa's 1st would be required to convince LV to take Ryan, especially when it looks like the players have voted to keep the cap static.
That's a looong contract for biiiig money to be stuck with.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Ryan's contract will hurt soon. Some players get hot in the playoffs. Who knows how he'll play next season?

If they take him? Great. If they don't? We could use him for a couple years.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I Agree, I'd be extremely happy just letting them take Dzingel. Plenty of guys out there that can replace what he brings to the table, and we get to keep our important guys.

I don't know what Dzingel's trade value is around the league. I had a discussion with a Ducks fan on the main board discussing the value of Vatanen where he said he would take Dzingle for Vatanen from the Ducks perspective.

If that's the case and Dzingle does have that type of trade value, I'd consider looking to include him in a pre-ED trade. But I personally don't think he's valued that highly around the league.

Zero chance Murray even entertains that. Dzingel may get a 2nd/3rd pick, if that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Vegas would strongly consider taking Ryan. They're going to be fine at goalie, and have a lot of defensive depth. Top 6 forwards is where they're going to have slim pickings. Taking Ryan, even with a sub-optimal contract, may be worth it to them.

If Ryan only had 2 or 3 years left, I'd say they'd jump on him, but with 5 years remaining, I suspect they pass. They might fancy themselves becoming a cup contending team by year 4 or 5, and Ryan's contract could put a drag on that.

That said, they could always try and move him should that time come... idk what to think anymore, I'm gonna go get me my expansion raft and float away to sea and ponder this some more. see y'all later...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad