TSN: Phaneuf asked to waive No-Move clause | Update: He said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
NO! We've seen EK without Methot... Methot is the snap to EK's crackle and pop!

The guy won a Norris with Kuba, he doesn't need Methot.

The problem is people equate Karlsson away from Methot to Karlsson with a combo of Boroweicki and Phillips from the year Methot was hurt. Their are Dmen out there who are not Methot, but are still worlds better than Boro or broken Phillips.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Pretty disappointing. Looks like we'll be losing our 2Nd best dman for nothing. I think we're gonna miss Methot a lot.

I guess we don't really know until the day though. Vegas may have all their D picked elsewhere and maybe just swoop in and take Dizzz. Or hell, maybe they take Ryan? They need to reach the floor, and he'd be an excellent captain IMO. I know others would disagree, but he's well spoken, positive and he showed in the playoffs he can bring it.

Oct 10, 2010
I'm surprised on how many people don't want to trade Dion? We have seen in the playoffs that his mobility is an issue and it's only going to get worse with his age. Plus, that contract is yucky.

If we can get rid of him without taking back much money it's an easy decision in my opinion.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Personally, I'd almost rather just trade Methot. Phaneuf's loss of mobility is not the end of the world. His game was never about skating.

People said the same thing about Chara years and years ago.

If Phaneuf isn't holding value, might as well try and find the best expansion protected defender we can find for Methot and see if he'd better than Claesson.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

This was obvious to see coming for months. Why would Phaneuf waive without a guaranteed deal with Vegas? McPhee must be asking a high price to choose alternative players from teams.

I don't see many trades happening, not just from the Sens but from other teams too. Choose what you think is right to protect and let the chips fall.

None of the predicted top 6 forwards or top 4 Dmen deals for pennies on the dollar will happen.

I'm resigned to losing Methot to Vegas, he will make a great captain for them.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I don't blame Dion for not waiving, I wouldn't. He had a great playoffs and would have easily been taken by Vegas.

This now means we will be forced to trade. Either trade Methot or Ceci for assets that we can protect or we could just trade a 2nd to Vegas to take a specific player, heck, we could even trade Dzingel/Wideman plus the 2nd to take the remaining guy.

We're fine.

If we're going to trade Dion we should use his salary and our position of prospect strength to try to acquire Ovi. But seeing as the only trade that exists for Ovi is him for Kopitar straight up, I doubt I see anything happening.

Oct 10, 2010
If Dion isn't holding much value, that should tell all of us something, no?

Regardless on what happens with Methot, i would love the see him moved just so we don't get stuck as he gets worse, especially with all of Turris, Stone and Karlsson all free agents soon. Could use some extra money.

Hopefully they look into moving Ryan as well this off-season.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Shawn Simpson bringing up the better points in my opinion in the back and forth friendly twitter debate with Dreger about the Phaneuf situation.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/875699144043745280

I honestly don't recall Simpson being correct about a single player or trade evaluation in years. Seriously, not a single one. I've been waiting for someone to create a website detailing all of his predictions in hindsight, it would be hilarious and would be a delicious expose.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I disagree with Simpson that Phaneuf will suddenly lose all mobility "this time next year".

Sure, he won't be improving in any way, but I don't see him getting much worse in the next year or two. If we keep him around he'll be a serviceable 2nd pairing guy over the next few seasons I'm sure. You only trade him if you get a decent return. A salary dump is just dumb right now. Dregger is right about that.

Edit: Also, we'd most likely have to eat salary in a Dion trade so if it's just for money-saving purposes, it's not as smart as people think.

Oct 10, 2010
If anything I'm with Dreger.

Losing Phaneuf = potentially losing two good defenders.

This is true, but in the end not a big deal. It's more important to shed salary. If we can dump Dion ( worst case) i would do so in a heart beat.
Simpson is right for thinking about the future. This team went on a miracle run and almost surely isn't going to repeat.

Not saying Dion is going to be horrible or anything but we need to free up money to sign way more important players.

This is the point many are forgetting it seems.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
This is true, but in the end not a big deal. It's more important to shed salary. If we can dump Dion ( worst case) i would do so in a heart beat.
Simpson is right for thinking about the future. This team went on a miracle run and almost surely isn't going to repeat.

You just wrote 5 sentences and I disagree with all of them. Losing 2 defenders is most certainly a big deal, what team could sustain that. Shedding salary is not that improtant, the Sens are structured well for years. Dumping Phaneuf would hurt like hell, we finally have a decent D after years of suffering but some of you think inserting rookies will be just fine. Simpson is never right, future or past. Why won't they repeat, just because?

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
If Dion isn't holding much value, that should tell all of us something, no?

Regardless on what happens with Methot, i would love the see him moved just so we don't get stuck as he gets worse, especially with all of Turris, Stone and Karlsson all free agents soon. Could use some extra money.

Hopefully they look into moving Ryan as well this off-season.

yes, it tells us he is more valuable to our team than in a trade where we would presumably get bad contracts back.

Dion has been excellent for us, and I don't think his value will drop much by next summer if we have to deal him fro contract reasons.

Oct 10, 2010
You just wrote 5 sentences and I disagree with all of them. Losing 2 defenders is most certainly a big deal, what team could sustain that. Shedding salary is not that improtant, the Sens are structured well for years. Dumping Phaneuf would hurt like hell, we finally have a decent D after years of suffering but some of you think inserting rookies will be just fine. Simpson is never right, future or past. Why won't they repeat, just because?

We have Stone, Turris, Anderson, Karlsson , Ceci all UFA/RFA after next season and have a budget to obey.
Losing Dion + Meth or Claesson in the very short-term would hurt for sure, but it's best for the future IMO.
And who said rookies would be the replacements?
Potentially losing one of those players isn't going to be worth having a very old looking 32/33 year old Dion on this team.
Yes, they were incredibly lucky not sure how anyone could say otherwise? Look at that overtime #s during the playoffs.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2010
yes, it tells us he is more valuable to our team than in a trade where we would presumably get bad contracts back.

Dion has been excellent for us, and I don't think his value will drop much by next summer if we have to deal him fro contract reasons.

We wouldn't take a worse contract back.

Maybe so but what's the point in waiting and taking that risk? If a team has interest, i wouldn't risk keeping him! but you're right, he doesn't need to be traded this off-season could the following year.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I mentioned it somewhere else, but I think Phaneuf could do very well as Karlsson's partner if we lose/trade Methot. He's basically a more physical Kuba, except he has a bomb from the point instead of a reasonably accurate wrister from the point.

I don't think we'll get an offer for Phaneuf that is palatable enough to jump on, so I expect Methot or Ceci to be going.

I dunno about that. being on the top pairing and getting a lot of icetime is what soured Leafs fans (and management) on the guy. He's at the point in his career where you have to manage minutes with him to get the best out of him.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I dunno about that. being on the top pairing and getting a lot of icetime is what soured Leafs fans (and management) on the guy. He's at the point in his career where you have to manage minutes with him to get the best out of him.

Didn't he played like 23 min in average per game this year? That pretty much low tier first pairing.

For example, Methot who was actually playing on the 1st pairing saw less ice time than the 2nd pairing overall. So it is possible to manage TOI if you reduce time on the PP for example which could happen with Chabot near an NHL spot.

And he still won't be THE GUY on his pairing, which is what you ultimately want.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

He played the 20th most minutes out of the entire NHL last season.

Where are people getting these ideas?

Edit: Just to clarify. Phaneuf continued to be a horse last season. Maybe not a fast horse these days, but the guy logs a ton of minutes. The Phaneuf addition is what allowed Ottawa to manage Karlsson's minutes better.

I can see Phaneuf's minutes being managed as well if Methot stays, but with the probable loss of Methot, it likely won't be this season. With Boucher becoming more comfortable with his depth, maybe Ottawa will be playing it's whole 6 man unit more in coming years, but it won't likely be next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad