TSN: Phaneuf asked to waive No-Move clause | Update: He said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Still doesn't change the fact that he doesn't face the opponent's top line most of the time though, right?

Taken as a whole, from what I saw last season, Boucher was not comfortable with his bottom pairing and we ended up playing Phaneuf - Ceci in a lot of tough situations in order to keep Methot -Karlsson fresh. In better circumstances, we would have seen less protection for Boro-Wideman with Phaneuf-Ceci as the beneficiaries.

Personally, I'd love to see some real risk taking with our defense pairings in training camp next season.

Claesson/Methot - Karlsson
Chabot - Phaneuf
Harpur - Ceci
Ex: Boro - Wideman.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I dunno about that. being on the top pairing and getting a lot of icetime is what soured Leafs fans (and management) on the guy. He's at the point in his career where you have to manage minutes with him to get the best out of him.

This season we relied on him and Ceci to play some of the toughest mins together, in fact, it was the time he spent with Karlsson that looked more like 'managing his minutes'

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I disagree with Simpson that Phaneuf will suddenly lose all mobility "this time next year".

Sure, he won't be improving in any way, but I don't see him getting much worse in the next year or two. If we keep him around he'll be a serviceable 2nd pairing guy over the next few seasons I'm sure. You only trade him if you get a decent return. A salary dump is just dumb right now. Dregger is right about that.

Edit: Also, we'd most likely have to eat salary in a Dion trade so if it's just for money-saving purposes, it's not as smart as people think.

I think Dion's mobility improved over last year. When he first played here, he couldn't pivot very quickly and he fell quite a bit. He's much much better. I think Toronto was a bad situation overall, and maybe his attention to basic skill maintenance suffered. He's certainly a much better decision-maker than when he finished with Toronto. I don't expect a decline in his game next season.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Sounds like Vegas is getting a king's ransom form Columbus to pass on certain players. A 1st and a prospect (and Clarkson's contract, but that's almost irrelevant because it's insured) for them to take one of Calvert, Karlsson or Murray.

No wonder the Sens are trying to trade Phaneuf.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Sounds like Vegas is getting a king's ransom form Columbus to pass on certain players. A 1st and a prospect (and Clarkson's contract, but that's almost irrelevant because it's insured) for them to take one of Calvert, Karlsson or Murray.

No wonder the Sens are trying to trade Phaneuf.

Yeah they're going to get a pound of flesh from every team. They may not be competitive immediately, but they're going to be a powerhouse in 4-5 years if they play their cards right.

It's frustrating because I feel like every time things start to come together for the Sens, something bad happens. Lockout, Hasek injury, and now expansion draft.

It sucks because even if we are able to protect the D we want, they'll just take Claesson. I have high hopes for him.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Vegas is getting 24th overall to pick Ryan Murray??? WHAT THE ****.

Bye Methot :( **** you phaneuf.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah they're going to get a pound of flesh from every team. They may not be competitive immediately, but they're going to be a powerhouse in 4-5 years if they play their cards right.

It's frustrating because I feel like every time things start to come together for the Sens, something bad happens. Lockout, Hasek injury, and now expansion draft.

It sucks because even if we are able to protect the D we want, they'll just take Claesson. I have high hopes for him.

Feels that way.

I'm more pissed about the expansion draft picks the Sens and Bolts had to share compared to what LV is getting. Sens paid $50 milliong. LV paid, what, $500 million? $17 million goes to each team? I suppose that's some solace, as long as Melnyk puts it into the team. I wonder if he's banking on it to finance the Lebreton Flats development.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I feel the opposite way.

Murray is a young top 4 D. They shouldn't give him up(along with a 1st) to get rid of Clarkson, especially when they put Clarkson on LTIR.

I'll give you he's young, but every time I've seen him he looked bad. I think he's a bust.

Maybe. But he has value. I think ceci sucks. Wouldn't be smart to lose him for nothing.

I agree. I think Murray and Ceci are actually close in value. If I had assets like CLB then I would trade Ceci to keep them as well.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Trading a d is going to be tough today. Teams are probably bidding to get good return for exposed d.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Oh hey, Tobias Enstrom waived his NMC for Winnipeg.

I thought the people on HFSens that were saying we needed to be a good guy franchise, giving guys like Phillips, Neil and Boro contract extensions that were a year too long would have a positive effect because then players would be more willing to do us a favour when we needed it.

We're the only franchise that had three separate guys (Heatley, Spezza, Phaneuf), not waive when we needed them to.

Turns out doing players a favour to the detriment of the team doesn't actually create any goodwill for the players to do the same back.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Smart move, IMO.

Lose Claesson/Methot/etc... and see what Vegas will give up after the draft or fill internally.

I think we're sitting pretty well. We're only going to lose one body and we have options for replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad