Rumor: Phaneuf About to Sign 7 Year/$50 Million Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Oh so we can single out the goalie but not attribute a playoff appearance to any one skater? If you want to go down that road I'll give you names of players over the past 20 years who've done exactly that and put teams on their backs, made everyone they played with better in the process. Goaltending is crucial no doubt but surely you do not believe a player can not have the same impact. In fact by not saying Dion is that guy, you've effectively ended the debate and the expectations that should come with his 7/7 deal.

go for it.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Top-10 paid UFA defencemen, % of cap taken up when contract signed:

Player | Cap Hit | Salary Cap Upper Limit | % taken up
Suter | $7.54M | $70.2M | 10.7%
Letang | $7.25M | $71.1M | 10.2%
Campbell | $7.14M | $56.7M | 12.6%
Phaneuf | $7.0M | $71.1M | 9.8%
Chara | $6.92M | $64.3M | 10.8%
Boyle | $6.67M | $56.7M | 11.8%
Timonen | $6.0M | $64.3M | 9.3%
Enstrom | $5.75M | $64.3M | 8.9%
Markov | $5.75M | $64.3M | 8.9%
Wisniewski | $5.5M | $64.3M | 8.6%

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Thank you! Well said and well researched by both of you. I doubt Nonis put as much thought into stats as you've done. Funny how some on here seem to put little consideration on stats. Stats measure performance. Anyone care to disagree?

Interesting so far you and others have shown
1. Offensively the stats show he is not worth his contract
2. Defensively the stats show he is not worth his contract
3. That leaves leadership, hockey IQ and intangibles discussion to justify 7x7M contract

For example making those "clutch" in game pinches especially in a playoff game or clean non-suspendable hard game changing hits. Or, like how he is the first to drop his gloves when Ott decks Kessel. And how he as captain and top shutdown defender protects the leafs from collapsing in the third and playoffs by acting as a calming influence on the bench. Phaneuf's contract is a bargain he is easily worth 9 or 10M a year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Oh so we can single out the goalie but not attribute a playoff appearance to any one skater? If you want to go down that road I'll give you names of players over the past 20 years who've done exactly that and put teams on their backs, made everyone they played with better in the process. Goaltending is crucial no doubt but surely you do not believe a player can not have the same impact. In fact by not saying Dion is that guy, you've effectively ended the debate and the expectations that should come with his 7/7 deal.

Looking forward to it.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
I've provided stats as well and the conversation dries up pretty quick. Same when you try and get these comparisons named or explain Phaneuf's technical skill flaws. But alas people still consider him to be elite. Would folks rather have Doughty or Keith as opposed to Phaneuf? Let's just pretend you could, c'mon fans who would you rather have? Dion, Duncan or Drew?

Depends on the situation. If I'm trying to score, Keith is my man. If I'm trying to stop goals, Keith can sit. He especially gets exposed by hard cycles when he has to play the body on the wall. St. Louis and Minnesota are examples of teams that give him fits. Seabrook provides cover for Keith. Dion doesn't have a complimentary partner of comparable quality. I wonder how the great Drew would look with Holzer beside him?

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Thank you! Well said and well researched by both of you. I doubt Nonis put as much thought into stats as you've done. Funny how some on here seem to put little consideration on stats. Stats measure performance. Anyone care to disagree?
They measure performance based on a certain sample size yes. There are guys playing in the NHL right now who have had a hot half-season who will never have another one again (one-hit wonders). There are guys who are slumping this season. I would never give out a rich long-term contract to a player who hasn't proven himself over a large sample size. It doesn't make sense to me.

Btw here is 2010-13 (3 year) data for the top 72 NHL defenseman (3000+ 5v5 mins) in 5v5 TOI. Unfortunately Hockey Analysis doesn't include this season for multi-year data (there's no 2010-14 or 2011-14 option available on the site). So that 3 year sample doesn't include this season.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...000&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Dion Phaneuf is ranked 50th/72 in goal differential. He ranks 30th/72 in Defensive Zone Start % (DZFO%) and 63rd/72 in Offensive Zone Start % (OZFO%). You could make the argument that Dion Phaneuf is asked to take on a lot of defensive assignments. But sure let's give 50m+/7yrs to a guy whom we're going to assume is a Top 10 defenseman in the league (after all we're gonna pay him like one). Without a shred of evidence that he's actually capable of being that guy over a long-term sample...

Let him walk. I don't care if he's a UFA and if he can get a better deal with some **** team. I don't care if it's going to take some time for us to groom or acquire an adequate replacement. Dion Phaneuf is not a part of a Stanley Cup winning puzzle. So what if we make the playoffs? Half of the conference makes the playoffs. Big deal. In the playoffs, a team can always get lucky and win a Stanley Cup. 16-28 games is a small sample size compared to 82. But we want to maximize the team's chances of winning a cup.

Last edited:

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Like Crosby? Who couldn't do anything to help his team from getting thumped by the Bruins, just a couple weeks after Phaneuf and the Leafs went to OT of game 7 with them?

He helped them out of the first round to get to the Bruins. One day Dion, one day

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Yzerman, Gretzky (LA), Messier (NY), Doan (look at the debacle over the past five years down there), Bobby Clarke, Scott Stevens, Ray Bourque, George Armstrong...... Etc, etc

Oh so now you have to be the best captain of all time :laugh:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He helped them out of the first round to get to the Bruins. One day Dion, one day

The point is, not even a real franchise captain can just succeed in the playoff on command. Even when Pitts won the cup, it was Malkin, not Crosby who did much of the heavy lifting and won the Conn Smythe.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Yzerman, Gretzky (LA), Messier (NY), Doan (look at the debacle over the past five years down there), Bobby Clarke, Scott Stevens, Ray Bourque, George Armstrong...... Etc, etc

Yzerman - how old was he when he led the Red Wings to glory, and after how many years of failure?

Gretzky (LA)- Zero cups.
Messier (NYR) - One cup and then sold himself a la Sundin to Vancouver.
Doan- Has won nothing
Stevens- See Niedermayer, Scott
Bourque- Led Boston to nothing for several years before going to a stacked team in Colorado at the end of his career.

Funny how all these great leaders had such struggles early (except Gretzky). Maybe, just maybe, Phaneuf at 29 isn't such a lost cause?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That was the epic dougy high stick year where they went on to win it
They went on to win it in historical fashion, being the first team to win the Cup by losing more games in the Cup finals than they won.

Habs won the Cup that year, not the Kings.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
That was the epic dougy high stick year where they went on to win it

You mean the year they beat the leafs and then got smoked by Montreal in the cup finals?

You don't remember the awful feeling of our arch enemy franchise winning it's most recent cup,

Whose not a real leaf fan now? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: