Rumor: Phaneuf About to Sign 7 Year/$50 Million Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but I've checked the forums a couple of times tonight to see what was being said about the reported $50m/7years for Phaneuf. Nothing on the Leafs board or in the FA forum. Is this old news being re-reported now that it's about to happen and I've missed this all along? Mods please move/delete/whatever if this is already out there somewhere.

Toronto Maple Leafs’ Dion Phaneuf appears set for big payday with new deal reportedly close

Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf appears close to signing long-term deal

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Hard to argue against this. He is our best defender and is still young. This signing will get better and better as the cap sky rockets.

Tibor

May 26, 2010
Toronto
Phaneuf is the Leafs only legit top-pairing d-man. He plays top minutes matched up against opponents best players. There are no other d-men of his quality that are UFAs this summer that are in the prime of their career as Phaneuf is. Acquiring someone to replace him via trade would require giving up important assets. Leafs have little choice but to resign him. Phaneuf's agent knows this and will try and get the most money for his client.

In my opinion Phaneuf is worth roughly what he is getting paid now. 50 million over 7 years would probably be slight overpayment but is to be expected considering the Leafs bargaining position.

wulfio*

wow if he gets paid more than $16 mill over 4 years this team is a joke.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Was hoping for under 7 but oh well, it's what he would get from other teams, possibly even less. I'm sure the main board will have a field day with this though, Phaneuf is one of the most hated players around those parts.

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010
That is exactly Brian Campbells contract, for comparison ($50/7yrs). It would make Phaneuf paid only less than Suter and Weber (But tied with Campbell).

The signings of Markov, Boyle and Boumeester (expiring contracts in 2014) along with how fast the cap rises will really set the precedent for whether Phaneufs rumoured contract is fair or not.

It is worth noting that out of everybody I've mentioned (Suter, all the way to Boumeester) are all the same age or older than Dion Phaneuf.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
He needs a Brodin or McDonagh to support him rather than the Girardi variety. Someone that can move the puck well out of the zone, add creativity on the back end, but without being a defensive liability ( ala Gardiner). We need a a lot more speed on the top pairing as well.

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
Really good deal for the Leafs, with the cap going up this contract shouldn't be an issue whatsoever.

I feel Dion could have gotten 8.5 x 7 on the open market.

All up fair deal for both sides.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
He needs a Brodin or McDonagh to support him rather than the Girardi variety. Someone that can move the puck well out of the zone, add creativity on the back end, but without being a defensive liability ( ala Gardiner). We need a a lot more speed on the top pairing as well.

Rielly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad