Rumor: Phaneuf About to Sign 7 Year/$50 Million Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm a little sick of this being a rumour for a few weeks now, kinda want to see something get done.

I'm not a huge Phaneuf fan but I recognize his value and importance to this team. I'll be content as long as it's not over 7m/yr.

TBVH at 7 x7 I'm a little disappointed in our Captain and supposed team leader.

I was hoping he would set himself as a leadership example and take a little bit less so the franchise can start to better compete cap wise with the other top teams in the league.

A very naive sentiment on my part.:(

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Couple things about the JBo deal...

1. He's 2 years older than Phaneuf, so that's why the term is shorter
2. This is the first very good year he's had in a while. He was not a better defenseman than Dion during his time in Calgary, you can ask the large chunk of flames fans clambering they traded the wrong guy.
3. Bouwmeester has been known to be extremely temperamental, he's not a big market guy openly admitting that, no doubt he took a discount to stay in St Louis and easily could have gotten better offers in UFA

The very same argument could be made about Dion on when or how many "very good years" he has had of late.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

I was hoping he would set himself as a leadership example and take a little bit less so the franchise can start to better compete cap wise with the other top teams in the league.

If it's 7x7 then he is in in all likelihood taking a discount.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

He is taking less though... Almost every pundit out there things Dion could get more in UFA.

And I know there's an argument over market value... and sure there are outlier offers, but if the guy is getting multiple offers at or higher than the rumoured deal... It's true MV rather than one outlier contract

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He is taking less though... Almost every pundit out there things Dion could get more in UFA.

And I know there's an argument over market value... and sure there are outlier offers, but if the guy is getting multiple offers at or higher than the rumoured deal... It's true MV rather than one outlier contract

What can I say, when I see freshly inked contracts like

Dats 7.5m
Both Sedins at 7m
JBO 5.4m

Dion at 7m leaves me wanting better for our franchise.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
The very same argument could be made about Dion on when or how many "very good years" he has had of late.

Definitely, but comparing the two... Over the past five seasons (since bouwmeester left Florida) I think there's legitimate argument that Dion was better 4 of those years with the exception of this season.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Definitely, but comparing the two... Over the past five seasons (since bouwmeester left Florida) I think there's legitimate argument that Dion was better 4 of those years with the exception of this season.

Better, ok fair debate but 1.6m per better?

Look I have to give JBO credit, he left some on the table so he could fit in on a roster and help that team take a real shot at the cup.

I can't make that same statement about Dion.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
What can I say, when I see freshly inked contracts like

Dats 7.5m
Both Sedins at 7m
JBO 5.4m

Dion at 7m leaves me wanting better for our franchise.

I agree with you to some extent but players simply won't take discounts to play here. Leafs have always had to overpay for players or at the very least pay them close to market value. That's just the way it's been and the way it will be. It'll never be like Detroit or Chicago

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
What did it take to acquire Boyle? For argument's sake.

Letting Phaneuf walk. Boyle won't see more than a 4 year deal IMO. Maybe 5 and he'd probably stay right where he is salary wise. So you entice him with cash. 3x8mil.

This is all based on the fantasy he'd want to play here. Still a risky move but less or more so than Dion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad