Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
0HjeDXm.png

Reactions: skuzzycuzz and Dyno

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
yeah I didn't really get the historic talks

if Dahlin is having a historical season he would have been a calder front runner at some point this season, but Pettersson has maintained that spot the entire time

not saying other players like Tkachuk, White, Dahlin and Heiskanen haven't been threats, but that's not the same thing as definitively being #1

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
If I have a gun to my head and I have to choose given the small sample size so far, I'll go with the Alien.

This may change over a full season though.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Dahlin's performance is significant because of his accomplishments as an eighteen year old. If someone else performs better than he does, that doesn't diminish what he's doing in that context.

Reactions: leafs94

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Dahlin is one of the absolute biggest reasons a team that last season was among the worst in league history has a pretty good chance of being a playoff team this seasons. An 18 year old defenseman having that kind of impact is insane.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Dahlin's performance is significant because of his accomplishments as an eighteen year old. If someone else performs better than he does, that doesn't diminish what he's doing in that context.

if Dahlin is having a historic 18 year old season, then Pettersson is having a generational draft + 1 season

it's the same rehash before. Historic to me is Crosby/Ovechkin level of dominance. Yes Ovechkin was technically in his draft +1 due to lockout but whatever

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Dahlin is one of the absolute biggest reasons a team that last season was among the worst in league history has a pretty good chance of being a playoff team this seasons. An 18 year old defenseman having that kind of impact is insane.

and Matthews got a last place Leafs team to the playoffs as well

before the Sabres imploded and landed Dahlin last season some people were predicting that they would challenge for a wild card spot. This means the idea of Buffalo making it with Eichel, ROR, Reinhart etc was there

Dahlin is great no doubt. Would be a #2 dmen on every team in the league except Nashville, San Jose and Tampa as a 18 year old but when people bring playoffs into the rookie discussion they need to realise a swap of Pettersson with Matthews or Dahlin won't change a thing. We are not a playoffs team

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
We didn't implode last year, we lost a bunch of games in October and our season was over by Halloween. Record is even more misleading because we won several games in the last month of the season that padded our win total in garbage time.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
We didn't implode last year, we lost a bunch of games in October and our season was over by Halloween. Record is even more misleading because we won several games in the last month of the season that padded our win total in garbage time.

pre-season predictions

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
if Dahlin is having a historic 18 year old season, then Pettersson is having a generational draft + 1 season

it's the same rehash before. Historic to me is Crosby/Ovechkin level of dominance. Yes Ovechkin was technically in his draft +1 due to lockout but whatever

If he makes it to 40 points, he'd be the 3rd 18-year-old D to do that in the history of the NHL. I'm not sure that a forward is a good comparison here.

With respect to Pettersson, if he's on pace to manage something similarly rare, then by all means, he's doing as you say. I don't think that's the case, though.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
If he makes it to 40 points, he'd be the 3rd 18-year-old D to do that in the history of the NHL. I'm not sure that a forward is a good comparison here.

With respect to Pettersson, if he's on pace to manage something similarly rare, then by all means, he's doing as you say. I don't think that's the case, though.

it is because Dmen develop at a slower rate than forwards

NHL ready 18 year old dmen are very rare

but that rarity doesn't mean a highly touted dmen prospect not NHL ready at 18 is going to have a lesser ceiling

I'm projecting Pettersson to maintain ppg or a bit lower at 70-75 points. He will win the calder as the best rookie and it will be well deserved. So what is so special about bringing up rarity? There are many great draft and draft +1 forward rookies, because that is a larger pool and forwards peak earlier

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
it is because Dmen develop at a slower rate than forwards

NHL ready 18 year old dmen are very rare

but that rarity doesn't mean a highly touted dmen prospect not NHL ready at 18 is going to have a lesser ceiling

Yes, it is indeed very rare that a player is capable of doing what Dahlin is doing this year. That's why some people call it historic.

And yes, it's certainly possible that he doesn't turn out to be what his potential might allow. But he's already quite ahead of the curve, as you've acknowledged.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Not many 18 year olds are doing what dahlin is doing because not many 18 yrs olds get to play in this league at that age. Actually not many 18 yr olds in general get to play in this league. That in itself is success. Although people are seriously downplaying Pettersson rookie season because of it, just cause he wasn't in the NHL last season, doesn't mean he isn't impressive.
He missed 6 games but he's still on pace for 88p in 77 games. He's on pace for 44g. Of course he might not get to there but hes really killing it right now. Comparing last 2 Calder winners + Laine (neck and neck with matthews):

26 games in -
Pettersson -15g/30p
Barzal - 6g/26p
Matthews - 12g/20p
Laine - 15g/21p

He's having a dominant season in both his goal-scoring and playmaking.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016

do you take yourself seriously ?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Both are incredible. Hard to pass on an 18 year old defenseman who is logging 20+ TOI a night and is on pace for 35+ points with little PP1 time. If Dahlin was a fixture on the top PP since day 1, he could be on his way to a 45 point season and everything could look different. Pettersson is a year older and has been given every opportunity to shine offensively, a credit to his coaches.

That said, Pettersson impresses me beyond belief. He looks like a franchise center in the mold of Sundin/Forsberg in terms of impact.

If I had to choose, I'd take Dahlin for my franchise, but Pettersson will win the Calder, and it will be well-deserved.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Dahlin and Pettersson are both having fantastic years in their own rights. As history has shown though the Caldar will go to the outstanding forward, Dahlin would need to down right filthy offensively and defensively to win. If it wasn't for the lack of depth that Buffalo has he most likely wouldn't of started in the NHL at 18

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Dahlin and Pettersson are both having fantastic years in their own rights. As history has shown though the Caldar will go to the outstanding forward, Dahlin would need to down right filthy offensively and defensively to win. If it wasn't for the lack of depth that Buffalo has he most likely wouldn't of started in the NHL at 18
That last part is absurd. For starters when was the last time any #1OA wasn't on his team's opening day roster, much less one of the most hyped ones ever?

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
That last part is absurd. For starters when was the last time any #1OA wasn't on his team's opening day roster, much less one of the most hyped ones ever?
I will admit that was a terrible opinion, But he sure wouldn't be hand fed the minutes he is getting now if Buffalo had better defensive depth

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. Dahlin is as NHL ready as they come. He’d make any team in the NHL. One of the most NHL ready first overalls that we’ve seen.
He’s going to be an absolute star.

Reactions: sabremike

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Disagree I think Dahlin would have started and been an impact player on any team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad