Proposal: Petry to TOR (trade deadline)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Not that I'm suggesting any offer, but the market value for a dman like Petry would be a 1st + a decent young player/prospect.
If you're expecting it to hurt more than that, then I doubt he'll be moved anywhere.

If Dermott isn’t available, I think a Sandin + 1st is the only real deal Montreal would consider.

We don’t need Lil (we’re trading Petry because we’re stocked at RHD) and the other names are not interesting for us (Johnsson/Kapanen/Brown). We have our own sitting in the press box at the moment. Your other assets are either too valuable or doesn’t make sense moving.

If Sandin has a good progression this year, I would be willing to switch the 1st for a 2nd

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Whats worse about it, depends on the prospect for the package.
True. The prospect could change things but I'm assuming it's something like McCarron, which obviously adds no value.
The Habs should be the ones wanting quantity for quality because of their rebuild, not the other way around.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So to get the conversation started you want a similar package to what Erik Karlsson just returned?!?!?

It's not a similar package. And Petry has 3 years in term left at a great value for what you get. You are treating Petry like a pending UFA.

Habs are also not in the asset liquidation sales event like the Sens are either

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
True. The prospect could change things but I'm assuming it's something like McCarron, which obviously adds no value.
The Habs should be the ones wanting quantity for quality because of their rebuild, not the other way around.
I don't consider McCarron a prospect anymore. He basically is an AHL player who can be called up if you need a filler while someone is out. I would be looking to add a prospect of value to send as Montreal would get a good forward.

Shipping Brown's salary helps the Leafs cap wise to take on Petry's and Leafs solidify their defense a bit. They get pieces pack for goalie depth in Lindgren who the Leafs know can play at the NHL level. Plus the 2nd and the prospect to give value for losing Nylander. All in all Toronto is not paying 8mill for Nylander, heck I don't think Bergevin would pay it either so its a brainstorming thing!

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
I know Leafs fans aren't too happy with Brown's play. There's got to be a way a deal around Petry - Nylander.

2nd round pick
Prospect - Montreal has stocked up on a lot of them
Jeff Petry
Charlie Lindgren

for

William Nylander
Connor Brown - help offset salary

I don't think Montreal should be adding picks or prospects to any deal, especially given the prospect they would need to add to that deal to get Nylander would be very painful.

Nylander isn't likely to move in a deal for a D at all, but certainly not for one who is over 30. Connor Brown would not be a cap dump. He is a bit devisive amoung Leafs fans, but more in the way that Hyman is. He is a good player, and the salary for his skill set is decent. Leafs fans seem to take issue with how much ice time he gets, and how Babcock favours him over more talented players. But the guy makes $2.1M, kills penalties, and has scored 34 goals over his first two seasons, so he really isn't hurting the team.

I am not suggesting Montreal should be giving up big assets to get Brown, but Toronto isn't going to be selling him as a negative value. Either Montreal sees him as valuable, or he just doesn't get included in the trade.

Petry is a very good asset for Montreal, but he isn't going to be the centerpiece of a trade that gets you a player like Nylander. Montreal also doesn't need to trade him this year, as they have him for a couple more. If they do move him this year, I think they can get a 1st, and either a decent young roster player, or a decent prospect.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don't consider McCarron a prospect anymore. He basically is an AHL player who can be called up if you need a filler while someone is out. I would be looking to add a prospect of value to send as Montreal would get a good forward.

Brown helps the Leafs cap wise and Leafs solidify their defense a bit and get pieces pack for goalie depth in Lindgren who the Leafs know can play at the NHL level. Plus the 2nd and the prospect to give value for losing Nylander. All in all Toronto is not paying 8mill for Nylander, heck I don't think Bergevin would pay it either so its a brainstorming thing!
Which prospect, keeping in mind the Leafs don't need any wingers or centres and you're already including a G prospect in Lindgren?
I don't necessary like the deal or think the Leafs would accept it but at least it's worth a discussion, unlike the other demands for Petry in this thread.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
If Dermott isn’t available, I think a Sandin + 1st is the only real deal Montreal would consider.

We don’t need Lil (we’re trading Petry because we’re stocked at RHD) and the other names are not interesting for us (Johnsson/Kapanen/Brown). We have our own sitting in the press box at the moment. Your other assets are either too valuable or doesn’t make sense moving.

If Sandin has a good progression this year, I would be willing to switch the 1st for a 2nd

I think you just nailed it, not the Sandin part, but in general the problem in making this deal is that while Petry is attractive to the Leafs, they don't really have pieces that work for this type of deal. They have their start type core, which obviously aren't moving, and they have depth pieces, which Montreal isn't interested in.

Toronto's best prospects that fit the right value for Petry would be their young D prospects, but Toronto is unlikely willing to part with them simply because it's an organizational wide weakness so it's really hard for them to trade from there.

If Montreal gets to a point where they are in it mostly for picks, then maybe Toronto becomes a reasonable partner, but given that they are divisional rivals, and chances are teams outside the division actually have better pieces to create a trade with, it's probably unlikely to make a reasonable trade.

Edit: Meant to comment what I meant by "not the Sandin part", because I meant I don't think the Leafs will trade from their D prospects, but not because Petry isn't worth that kind of return, but simply because when a team has an organizational weakness, it's hard to trade your prospects in that area for a guy over 30. I didn't mean it sound like a sleight against the proposal that Sandin is the type of value the Leafs would have to offer up, I agree with that, just that I think because the Leafs are unlikely to offer something like that is the reason a Petry trade likely happens elsewhere.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
no way would I trade Petry to Toronto he would be too valuable to the leafs to just take a late 1st back

We can't really trade him anyways who really believes the habs management when they say Weber is coming back in December. Even if he does he won't have played a game for almost a year?

member 157595

I'd be interested in Petry depending on the price but there's no chance the Habs move him to Toronto, especially with Weber out.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I think you just nailed it, not the Sandin part, but in general the problem in making this deal is that while Petry is attractive to the Leafs, they don't really have pieces that work for this type of deal. They have their start type core, which obviously aren't moving, and they have depth pieces, which Montreal isn't interested in.

Toronto's best prospects that fit the right value for Petry would be their young D prospects, but Toronto is unlikely willing to part with them simply because it's an organizational wide weakness so it's really hard for them to trade from there.

If Montreal gets to a point where they are in it mostly for picks, then maybe Toronto becomes a reasonable partner, but given that they are divisional rivals, and chances are teams outside the division actually have better pieces to create a trade with, it's probably unlikely to make a reasonable trade.

Edit: Meant to comment what I meant by "not the Sandin part", because I meant I don't think the Leafs will trade from their D prospects, but not because Petry isn't worth that kind of return, but simply because when a team has an organizational weakness, it's hard to trade your prospects in that area for a guy over 30. I didn't mean it sound like a sleight against the proposal that Sandin is the type of value the Leafs would have to offer up, I agree with that, just that I think because the Leafs are unlikely to offer something like that is the reason a Petry trade likely happens elsewhere.

Yeah, I understood what you meant. While it fix a big hole in Toronto’s D, their current assets available aren’t really interesting for us unless Sandin progress and is made available.

I could really see Petry being available when Weber is back. Especially with the way Juulsen is developing and Brook’s progression since he was drafted.

no way would I trade Petry to Toronto he would be too valuable to the leafs to just take a late 1st back

We can't really trade him anyways who really believes the habs management when they say Weber is coming back in December. Even if he does he won't have played a game for almost a year?

Why wouldn’t we? His surgery was back in June and he’s already training off the ice. 6 months is the usual timeline for that type of surgery/recovery

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
You think the price the Sharks paid is the same price the Leafs were offered?

Hahahahahaha
Not sure if you read the original trade but ya Lily(recent 1st rounder) + 1st rounder is not far off what EK returned.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It's not a similar package. And Petry has 3 years in term left at a great value for what you get. You are treating Petry like a pending UFA.

Habs are also not in the asset liquidation sales event like the Sens are either
Ya that is where we differ. He does not offer great value at 5.5 million, Gardiner is paid ~1.5 million less and they are in the same tier of player. Rielly is paid 0.5 million less and is in a whole different tier.

I'm not treating him like a UFA, just would have no interest is giving up 2 1st rounders essentially for a 2nd pairing guy (#3). This package would be bigger than what his comparables returned (Harmonic is a good one term wise).

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Ya that is where we differ. He does not offer great value at 5.5 million, Gardiner is paid ~1.5 million less and they are in the same tier of player. Rielly is paid 0.5 million less and is in a whole different tier.

I'm not treating him like a UFA, just would have no interest is giving up 2 1st rounders essentially for a 2nd pairing guy (#3). This package would be bigger than what his comparables returned (Harmonic is a good one term wise).

I'm not going to get into judging Rielly, but how much do you think Gardiner's next contract is going to be?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
EK would have cost you more than that.
He was just traded for a pretty similar value package. Not saying the leafs could have gotten EK for 1st+Lily+ as obviously sens wanted to trade him to the West but my point still stands.

I'm not willing to trade a package for Petry that would have close to the value that EK was just traded for. Also OP says 1st+Lily/Sandin is where the conversation starts alluding to more adds.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
He was just traded for a pretty similar value package. Not saying the leafs could have gotten EK for 1st+Lily+ as obviously sens wanted to trade him to the West but my point still stands.

I'm not willing to trade a package for Petry that would have close to the value that EK was just traded for. Also OP says 1st+Lily/Sandin is where the conversation starts alluding to more adds.

If the Sharks landed Karlsson for a bunch of depth and you didn't...

Take a wild guess as to why.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You are not going to like it but Petry is way better than you realize. Petry does all the little things out there that most don't notice. What stats do you not agree with in the following report that has Petry ranked 13th in the last 3 years of overall production? I'm not saying Petry is a for sure top 15 NHL defenseman but he not far off. His 3 years in term and cap hit are very good value.

Definitive ranking of NHL’s top 20 defencemen over three seasons - Sportsnet.ca

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Didn’t Hamonic brought back the 12th overall as well as two 2nd? I mean, it’s as close as it gets to two late first. Isn’t it?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'm not going to get into judging Rielly, but how much do you think Gardiner's next contract is going to be?
Depends where he signs next. If he wants to stay a leaf likely under 6 million.

Using a contract signed this upcoming summer and comparing that to a contract signed in 2015 doesn't make the most sense to me. I know what your getting at but I dont think Jeff Petry at 5.5 million is 'great value' at all. He is close to the top 25 paid defenders in the league and i dont think he is a top 25 defender at all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Sens liquidated EK. Everybody knows it. How about what Patch got which is arguably better than what the Sens got for Karlsson? Does a sign and trade value add up to a Pending UFA value for a better player all the time in every trade? What about the return the Sharks and Panthers got for Hoffman? How about Skinner who had a NMC?

Petry is playing the best hockey of his career and has matured into a very good top 4D. Some say a very solid #3 guy. If he was a UFA today, he gets paid more than his 3 years at $5.5M cap hit

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
You are not going to like it but Petry is way better than you realize. Petry does all the little things out there that most don't notice. What stats do you not agree with in the following report that has Petry ranked 13th in the last 3 years of overall production? I'm not saying Petry is a for sure top 15 NHL defenseman but he not far off. His 3 years in term and cap hit are very good value.

Definitive ranking of NHL’s top 20 defencemen over three seasons - Sportsnet.ca
I would like to see how they are combined all those stats. They used like 20 stats for each category and averaged to 1 stat, Offense or Defense. I dont like black box statistics like that especially when it says Petry is a better defender than Lindholm, Keith, Buff, Letang etc.

For example, how are the applying weighting factors to power play goals for even strength goals and how important are these stats in comparing to HDSC. Nothing is explained.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad