Proposal: Petry to TOR (trade deadline)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Next year, the Horton's contract is really meaningless cap wise to the Leafs. Leafs will their current lineup Nylander and friends can't really afford the 5.5m Petry next year and the remaining years of the contract. And really is Petry that needed? I know there is fascination with RHDs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Next year, the Horton's contract is really meaningless cap wise to the Leafs. Leafs will their current lineup Nylander and friends can't really afford the 5.5m Petry next year and the remaining years of the contract. And really is Petry that needed? I know there is fascination with RHDs.

It would mean at least 1 of Brown, Marleau or Zaitsev would need to depart most likely.

Doesn't work for us.

Okay, now we'll wait for more Hab fans to chime in. Thank you for your feedback.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
It's not a bad offer if you remove Horton and the fact that the Leafs are a division rival.
What would you want added? The most I would do is change the prospect to a b prospect instead of a c prospect. And add a middle pick tbh.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd rather just trade Petry to another team. Toronto's 1st will be very low, and they have no prospects that will fit our needs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's not a bad offer if you remove Horton and the fact that the Leafs are a division rival.

Only way for us to make the cap work is to include Horton. Horton's contract is just more a PITA to work around if you have cap concerns but seems like Habs might try to rebuild at some point soon. If the Habs don't care about LTR and real money, then grabbing 3 assets isn't so bad.

Division thing doesn't really matter, we're going opposite ways for the duration of Petry's contract as well.

Reactions: MC2D

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
What would you want added? The most I would do is change the prospect to a b prospect instead of a c prospect. And add a middle pick tbh.

If the Leafs could easily dispose of Horton, they would have done so already.

Only way for us to make the cap work is to include Horton. Horton's contract is just more a PITA to work around if you have cap concerns but seems like Habs might try to rebuild at some point soon. If the Habs don't care about LTR and real money, then grabbing 3 assets isn't so bad.

Division thing doesn't really matter, we're going opposite ways for the duration of Petry's contract as well.

Then it's clear you'll have to pony up some assets to get someone to take Horton. I don't see it being us.

Weber was just named captain. I doubt the Habs are doing a rebuild.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Pass. Not the profile I want the Leafs to target if their 1st round pick in play.

Montreal should be able to find a better trading partner anyways.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If the Leafs could easily dispose of Horton, they would have done so already.

Then it's clear you'll have to pony up some assets to get someone to take Horton. I don't see it being us.

Weber was just named captain. I doubt the Habs are doing a rebuild.

I think the price of moving bad contracts is overstated. In 2/3 cases I can think of the cost being quite low and 1 being high.

Low:

Filppula - Basically cost the Lightning a 7th to move
Beleskey - Was used in the deal to land Nash, NYR didn't need to take a cap dump to get good value for Nash IMO, they could have gotten a 1st+prospect anyway

High:

Bolland - At the time, a recent 10th-11th overall pick in Crouse to move that contract seemed high.

In terms of who it has to be? Montreal or the Rangers need to be the people taking the Horton contract, it's the standard LTR thing where it shouldn't hurt either team that isn't really going to be competing but the problem is the dollars are real. Only Montreal and the New York Rangers are able to pay out that type of salary for a player like Horton.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I think the price of moving bad contracts is overstated. In 2/3 cases I can think of the cost being quite low and 1 being high.

Low:

Filppula - Basically cost the Lightning a 7th to move
Beleskey - Was used in the deal to land Nash, NYR didn't need to take a cap dump to get good value for Nash IMO, they could have gotten a 1st+prospect anyway

High:

Bolland - At the time, a recent 10th-11th overall pick in Crouse to move that contract seemed high.

In terms of who it has to be? Montreal or the Rangers need to be the people taking the Horton contract, it's the standard LTR thing where it shouldn't hurt either team that isn't really going to be competing but the problem is the dollars are real. Only Montreal and the New York Rangers are able to pay out that type of salary for a player like Horton.

Then you have to figure out how much you're willing to pay to liberate that space. I would assume the Leafs' FO already tried that.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Then you have to figure out how much you're willing to pay to liberate that space. I would assume the Leafs' FO already tried that.

It's hard to say though right? I mean without you and I knowing the discussions that took place. I only went by a few quick examples that came to mind.

Savard and Clowe also respectively cost a 2nd rounder I think to move.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I remember when Nielsen was the steal of the draft etc etc, now he is just a contract. I know injuries is a part, but still...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad