Proposal: Petry to TOR (trade deadline)

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
No, not in my books. Hainsey would be a below average top 4D and Petry would be an above average top 4D. Neither of them belong as top pairing guys.
the top 4 is 4 guys, and presumably we're working with 4 x 31 = 124 as the body of "top 4" dmen in the NHL. If a guy is above average in that group, that would mean he is above the #62 mark, which would make him a top pairing defenseman in literal terms

we should do away with the term "top 4" because it lumps too many tiers together

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Petry is also a funny case. He can play like a Klingberg one game and the next game play like Gardiner
you mean he's like Gardiner in that he's very good for stretches then not good for stretches?

fwiw, Petry is my preferred guy in the tier of "probably available" 2nd pair RHD that won't gut your team to get - Tanev, Braun, etc

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
the top 4 is 4 guys, and presumably we're working with 4 x 31 = 124 as the body of "top 4" dmen in the NHL. If a guy is above average in that group, that would mean he is above the #62 mark, which would make him a top pairing defenseman in literal terms

we should do away with the term "top 4" because it lumps too many tiers together

Let me put it in Leafs language for you... Both the Habs and Leafs have below average top 4D when compared to the average from across the league. Same as the difference between the Leafs centers and Habs centers. One team has an above average top 3C and the other team has the worse in the league?

Understand now? Petry is an above average top 4D. A good #3 guy on a good team in other words.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Let me put it in Leafs language for you... Both the Habs and Leafs have below average top 4D when compared to the average from across the league. Same as the difference between the Leafs centers and Habs centers. One team has an above average top 3C and the other team has the worse in the league?

Understand now?
when you talk about things like "top 4D" on a trade forum, it should be set to the backdrop of the league because teams won't value pieces based on how good they are compared to their current team mates.

let's try this - where do you think Jeff Petry falls on the list of the league's best dmen?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I would see Petry with the Leafs, but it would cost a first round + second round + B prospect like Lili
1st+2nd+B prospect is a little rich but not crazy, calling Liljegren who's in everyone's top 50 and most top 30's a B prospect is crazy though. Petry is a bandaid solution, I wouldn't include Liljegren in a deal for him because Liljegren has a chance to be long term solution

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
when you talk about things like "top 4D" on a trade forum, it should be set to the backdrop of the league because teams won't value pieces based on how good they are compared to their current team mates.

let's try this - where do you think Jeff Petry falls on the list of the league's best dmen?

4 top 4D on each team. That's 124 NHL defenseman. If I am calling him a good #3 on a good team. I'd say he is somewhere around top 50. He had 42 pts last year which would put him ranked around top 30. Hard to pin down but I'd say 30-50 range.

When were talking about value, age and term of contract also needs to be factored in. For what you get with Petry and 3 years left (Age 30-32 at $5.5M), the value is pretty good.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Liljgren isn't a b prospect. He's the closest thing we have to a blue chip prospect right now

It's a relative world we live in. Liljegren is a fringe grade A prospect and above average grade B prospect. Calling him a blue chip prospect is premature and overly Positive.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
4 top 4D on each team. That's 124 NHL defenseman. If I am calling him a good #3 on a good team. I'd say he is somewhere around top 50. He had 42 pts last year which would put him ranked around top 30. Hard to pin down but I'd say 30-50 range.

When were talking about value, age and term of contract also needs to be factored in. For what you get with Petry and 3 years left (Age 30-32 at $5.5M), the value is pretty good.
there would be 62 top pairing D by definition though, right? So anywhere from 30 to 50 (which he is not) would place him as a definite top pairing guy and borderline #1 in the best case scenario. Would you see Gardiner in that 30-50 range as well given the similarities - good possession players in a high event manner, both prone to stretches of brilliant play followed by stretches of poor play, Gardiner with 43 and 50pt years in his last two

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
there would be 62 top pairing D by definition though, right? So anywhere from 30 to 50 (which he is not) would place him as a definite top pairing guy and borderline #1 in the best case scenario. Would you see Gardiner in that 30-50 range as well given the similarities - good possession players in a high event manner, both prone to stretches of brilliant play followed by stretches of poor play, Gardiner with 43 and 50pt years in his last two

Your missing my point. Some teams have 3 top 4D and some teams have 5. It's not as simple as you are trying to break it out to be. Petry is a very solid NHL defenseman that does all the little things right. He is a big mobile body with some offense. The kind of defenseman Babcock needs. Leafs don't need an offensive defenseman. They need a big body who skates well, plays well in his own end, and has some offense.

I understand why this trade proposal was put out there. It does make sense for the Leafs but the Habs are not trading Petry for cheap. His 3 year term and what he brings to the table has more value than fans on these boards are going to admit. A late 1st, 3rd, and meh prospect won't get it done. Maybe if he was a pending UFA. If you want the Habs to listen, one of Liljegren or Sandin needs to be added. And the Habs need to wait till Weber comes back.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
It's a relative world we live in. Liljegren is a fringe grade A prospect and above average grade B prospect. Calling him a blue chip prospect is premature and overly Positive.
Why is it everyone on these threads zeros in on one word and completely ignores the ones proceeding it? I fully expected this response as soon as I posted it. I don't even disagree with your assessment that he's a fringe "A" prospect but what do you find difficult to understand about the phrase "closest thing we have to". That doesn't mean I called him a blue chip, that means we consider him close to one or at the very least value him as higher than a b prospect.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Your missing my point. Some teams have 3 top 4D and some teams have 5. It's not as simple as you are trying to break it out to be. Petry is a very solid NHL defenseman that does all the little things right. He is a big mobile body with some offense. The kind of defenseman Babcock needs. Leafs don't need an offensive defenseman. They need a big body who skates well, plays well in his own end, and has some offense.

I understand why this trade proposal was put out there. It does make sense for the Leafs but the Habs are not trading Petry for cheap. His 3 year term and what he brings to the table has more value than fans on these boards are going to admit. A late 1st, 3rd, and meh prospect won't get it done. Maybe if he was a pending UFA. If you want the Habs to listen, one of Liljegren or Sandin needs to be added. And the Habs need to wait till Weber comes back.
that's why I removed the context of each team. If Petry is a 30-50 Dman he's a worthy #2 on most teams, and that's an over-rating of him. He's a good player to have as your #3, capable of carrying a 2nd pairing and of playing on the 1st pairing in stretches...which sounds exactly as if I'm describing Gardiner

Sandin I might be willing to look at as the substantial value, Liljegren is a non-starter. I think there was a thread about this idea a month or so ago where Sandin+2nd with no retention or Sandin + 1st with retention got some traction. I'm not sure why you would value Sandin higher than our 1st though, he was just taken at the very bottom of a 1st round in a draft that is shallower than the one coming up

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
that's why I removed the context of each team. If Petry is a 30-50 Dman he's a worthy #2 on most teams, and that's an over-rating of him. He's a good player to have as your #3, capable of carrying a 2nd pairing and of playing on the 1st pairing in stretches...which sounds exactly as if I'm describing Gardiner

Sandin I might be willing to look at as the substantial value, Liljegren is a non-starter. I think there was a thread about this idea a month or so ago where Sandin+2nd with no retention or Sandin + 1st with retention got some traction. I'm not sure why you would value Sandin higher than our 1st though, he was just taken at the very bottom of a 1st round in a draft that is shallower than the one coming up

I respect how you protect your top prospects. The same way the Habs needs to protect our assets.

Habs really are not interested in trading Petry. We will if the offer makes us think though. A late 1st, 3rd, and meh prospect won’t do it. Our needs are LD so if you want a proven top 4D on a good contract value, you need to consider what you have to give.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why is it everyone on these threads zeros in on one word and completely ignores the ones proceeding it? I fully expected this response as soon as I posted it. I don't even disagree with your assessment that he's a fringe "A" prospect but what do you find difficult to understand about the phrase "closest thing we have to". That doesn't mean I called him a blue chip, that means we consider him close to one or at the very least value him as higher than a b prospect.

Liljegren and Blue Chip are conflicting.

Reactions: BabyPanda

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I respect how you protect your top prospects. The same way the Habs needs to protect our assets.

Habs really are not interested in trading Petry. We will if the offer makes us think though. A late 1st, 3rd, and meh prospect won’t do it. Our needs are LD so if you want a proven top 4D on a good contract value, you need to consider what you have to give.
I don't think Petry's contract is a "value", it's the opposite by outward appearances - he's tied for 27th on the list of highest paid dmen in the NHL. He'll continue to fall down that list as new contracts are signed but it's a long way until he's paid at the same level as he ranks in the echelon of the league's dmen

that said, I would be fine with Sandin as a base which you said above would suit you, but I'm not sure why you would value Sandin higher than our upcoming 1st as he hasn't played enough since his draft to affect his value

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think Petry's contract is a "value", it's the opposite by outward appearances - he's tied for 27th on the list of highest paid dmen in the NHL. He'll continue to fall down that list as new contracts are signed but it's a long way until he's paid at the same level as he ranks in the echelon of the league's dmen

that said, I would be fine with Sandin as a base which you said above would suit you, but I'm not sure why you would value Sandin higher than our upcoming 1st as he hasn't played enough since his draft to affect his value

Petry was in the top 30 in pts by defenseman last year. However, A defenseman’s value is not just about points.

Sandin and a late 1st gets the conversation started. Not even sure if I would still do it. And I’m pretty sure Bergevin would ask for another piece

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Petry was in the top 30 in pts by defenseman last year. However, A defenseman’s value is not just about points.

Sandin and a late 1st gets the conversation started. Not even sure if I would still do it. And I’m pretty sure Bergevin would ask for another piece
Petry is not a top 30 dman, he's overpaid. The term is a good thing but the AAV is above his level of contribution by a margin that a team would likely deal with to get him. He's not Alzner level overpaid, but he is overpaid

Sandin + 1st for a retained Petry...maybe. The Habs should retain on him if they're dealing him, the cap hit doesn't mean anything to you guys in that window

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry is not a top 30 dman, he's overpaid. The term is a good thing but the AAV is above his level of contribution by a margin that a team would likely deal with to get him. He's not Alzner level overpaid, but he is overpaid

Sandin + 1st for a retained Petry...maybe. The Habs should retain on him if they're dealing him, the cap hit doesn't mean anything to you guys in that window

We disagree Petry is over paid.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Liljegren and Blue Chip are conflicting.
Again, you're taking one word out of what I said and throwing was everything else out of context. I even reiterated that I don't consider him blue chip but that he's the next best thing we have to that in out system. I'll repeat myself there, he isn't a blue chip prospect, but he's out top prospect so WE value him as a blue chip

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

You're too nice...this has been painful for me to read the last little bit.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad