Proposal: Petry to TOR (trade deadline)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Actually, we did. However, it’s Galchenyuk’s own fault if couldn’t put it together after his injury in Los Angeles. Bad passes, bad reads, poor backchecks etc...

As I said, he was my favorite player and I wanted him to succeed so much but at some point when the player is a PP killer, loses the puck all the time and doesn’t put the effort in, he’s not going to succeed. No coach or GM could have saved him.

That being said, I hope he gets his thing going in Arizona.

Truth is in the middle. Galchenyuk needs to mature and be smarter with the puck. But the Habs also needed to let him learn on the job so they could see his real potential. It does seem weird that Galchenyuk did not even play one full season at center in 6 years when we drafted him as a center. I get the risky plays and puck management issues but most teams allow their guy to learn on the job and tolerate some mistakes. Habs did not give him enough opportunity and the sample sizes of his opportunity was small.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Truth is in the middle. Galchenyuk needs to mature and be smarter with the puck. But the Habs also needed to let him learn on the job so they could see his real potential. It does seem weird that Galchenyuk did not even play one full season at center in 6 years when we drafted him as a center. I get the risky plays and puck management issues but most teams allow their guy to learn on the job and tolerate some mistakes. Habs did not give him enough opportunity and the sample sizes of his opportunity was small.

When he came back from his injury, they put him right back at C and I remember telling myself game after game « this guy is, by FAR, our worst player tonight ».

At some point, you can’t have your 1C out there doing big mistakes and turnovers shift after shift. He kinda forced the coach to put him on the 4th line and from there on, it just got worst.

When Montreal replaced Therrien for Julien, Galchenyuk was placed back at 1C and Danault back at 3C and it only lasted a couple of periods because Galchenyuk was playing soo bad.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When he came back from his injury, they put him right back at C and I remember telling myself game after game « this guy is, by FAR, our worst player tonight ».

At some point, you can’t have your 1C out there doing big mistakes and turnovers shift after shift. He kinda forced the coach to put him on the 4th line and from there on, it just got worst.

When Montreal replaced Therrien for Julien, Galchenyuk was placed back at 1C and Danault back at 3C and it only lasted a couple of periods because Galchenyuk was playing soo bad.

I understand Galchenyuk's struggles. But look at it this way, many other teams with assets like this shelter them with complementary pieces. Galchenyuk played center at the end of 2015/2016 (scored 30 goals) and the beginning of 2016/2017 (23 pts in 25 games) before he got hurt. The Radulov / Galchenyuk / Patch line was very good to start the year. Galchenyuk is not going to be a franchise player but when you put him with good players, he produces. Habs wanted him to produce with bottom 6 talent and rise through maturity. It didn't work.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Need more than that, especially if they're taking Horton. I know its LTIR, but that still affects planning for Montreal.

Isn't Horton's contract not insured and the reason why Columbus traded him to the Leafs to begin with? Not sure if teams are allowed to purchase insurance after they acquire assets but if he indeed has no insurance, the Leafs are paying him to sit but he don't affect the Cap. However, you need to be under the cap to start the year including LTIR contracts. So it just might be a problem starting next season after Nylander, Marner, and Mathew's contracts are factored in.

No insurance on Horton's contract (if correct), means the other team writes off around $5M of actual money at this years deadline. That's a lot of money to write off! I agree with you even more in this case. If Horton is involved, the return needs to be very good.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Isn't Horton's contract not insured and the reason why Columbus traded him to the Leafs to begin with? Not sure if teams are allowed to purchase insurance after they acquire assets but if he indeed has no insurance, the Leafs are paying him to sit but he don't affect the Cap. However, you need to be under the cap to start the year including LTIR contracts. So it just might be a problem starting next season after Nylander, Marner, and Mathew's contracts are factored in.

No insurance on Horton's contract (if correct), means the other team writes off around $5M of actual money at this years deadline. That's a lot of money to write off! I agree with you even more in this case. If Horton is involved, the return needs to be very good.

That's why they're looking to dump the contract on us. I'd rather keep the space in case there's a good offersheet to be made with Matthews, Aho, Provorov, etc,. all ending their ELCs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's why they're looking to dump the contract on us. I'd rather keep the space in case there's a good offersheet to be made with Matthews, Aho, Provorov, etc,. all ending their ELCs.

Not many owners are willing to write off that much money. I'm listening if they want Petry and also want to unload Horton's salary but were not doing them any favors. If they Leafs want to address two needs in one deal, the deal needs to be very good to make the Habs think. Liljegren or Sandin need to be part of the conversation. Too big of a pill to swallow? Sure. We have no base for a deal so try getting another proven Top 4D from another team for a cheap return

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Not many owners are willing to write off that much money. I'm listening if they want Petry and also want to unload Horton's salary but were not doing them any favors. If they Leafs want to address two needs in one deal, the deal needs to be very good to make the Habs think. Liljegren or Sandin need to be part of the conversation. Too big of a pill to swallow? Sure. We have no base for a deal so try getting another proven Top 4D from another team for a cheap return

I figure if Vegas didn't touch that contract, nobody will.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Leafs are getting a bonafide #2 dman on a good deal, my ask would be Dermott + a 2nd.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I figure if Vegas didn't touch that contract, nobody will.

11 players signed with $30M in cap space next year. Taking a wild stab at the cap growing by $3.5M so make it $33.5M. How much does Nylander, Marner, Matthews take? Somewhere between $25M and $27M IMO. So that's 14 players signed with $6.5M - $8.5M left with 9 more players to sign. That's barely league minimum for each of those 9 players. Another $5.3M is freed up with Horton but that only happens after the season starts. You have to be below the cap with all LTIR before the the season starts.

Should be interesting to watch the young Dubas and his plan.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
just looking at precedent deals, Hamonic had the same term and lower cap hit and younger at the time of his trade to CGY. I think Petry now>Hamonic then (although different type of Dmen). Hamonic went for a 1st+2nd+2nd. I think Petry is roughly the same value all things considered.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
just looking at precedent deals, Hamonic had the same term and lower cap hit and younger at the time of his trade to CGY. I think Petry now>Hamonic then (although different type of Dmen). Hamonic went for a 1st+2nd+2nd. I think Petry is roughly the same value all things considered.

Petry is much better than Hamonic too.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
We got Petry for a 2nd (a steal in my opinion), i fully expect that he would get a 1st now that folks know he is a better player than was shown in Edmonton, especially at the trade deadline.
So i see this as a 3rd and a C prospect to take on a contract. I dont know what our cap is going to look at at the TDL, but i think we cna do better than that for a cap dump.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Petry is much better than Hamonic too.
agreed, idk how much better he was at the time of Hamonic's trade, but I think the cap flexibility that Hamonic provides (1.7ishM less cap hit which) + Hamonic had no NTC/NMC, whereas Petry has some trade restriction might hamper the value a bit

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Pass. Not the profile I want the Leafs to target if their 1st round pick in play.

Montreal should be able to find a better trading partner anyways.
Your first round pick is not that valuable. It will be considered almost a 2nd round pick.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Once Josh Brook is ready, I could see us trading Petry, but until then I think he stays in Montreal.

In terms of value, he'd get better than this. If we're taking on a contract, a good prospect needs to be coming back in addition to the late first.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Most realistic opinions that avoid trolling would say the Leafs have an average D. It's not the worse. Like I said before, The Leafs will destroy bottom 20 NHL teams but it's a different story when they face a top 10 team with offense and a solid defense.

IMO, from the outside looking in, the Leafs need a beast who is solid in his own end to play with Rielly. Someone Babcock can trust and play 25+ minutes a game. Expecting prospects to fill this hole is reasonable but that will take years.

I disagree somewhat with this. The Leafs took Boston to 7 games last year despite having some key players not performing or not on the ice. Boston is clearly considered a better defensive team.

Furthermore Babcock likes players to play specialized roles. It's largely so he can get the matchups he wants. Using specific players only on the PK means when the PP is over and the other team is throwing out their 3rd line he can put out any combination of Matthews, Nylander,Kadri with guys like Gardiner. People who don't watch the Leafs or have no understanding of that can sometimes think that means Babcock has no faith in specific players when a lot of the time it's solely about matchups and playing players to their utmost strengths.

The key to the Leafs defence getting better is most likely not getting a middle pairing guy. Nor is the option really there for a stud #1 to be traded let alone traded for. It's forwards coming back and playing responsible.

The Leafs top 4 is Rielly, Hainsey, Gardiner and Zaitzev with Dermott most likely on the verge of taking over middle pairing minutes. Hainsey was basically used as a PKer all year last year meaning bringing anyone in to replace him will also have to take on that responsibility. Doubt you want to pay a top line D to play the number of PK minutes Hainsey put up. Zaitsev had a bad year after injury so we'll have to see if he flounders still or improves to his rookie self or beyond. Dermott is obviously going to be the offense for the 3rd pair and with Oz starting the season we'll get to see what he can do. I'm not nearly as worried as some and think this D can take us past the 1st round if need be.

Especially considering the Leafs strength comes from their forwards they may be average at best at defence but they are top 5 in offence and specifically at Center. Even in the playoffs, having Kadri as your 3rd best center (as long as he is not suspended....) should be more than enough for most teams in the PO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I disagree somewhat with this. The Leafs took Boston to 7 games last year despite having some key players not performing or not on the ice. Boston is clearly considered a better defensive team.

Furthermore Babcock likes players to play specialized roles. It's largely so he can get the matchups he wants. Using specific players only on the PK means when the PP is over and the other team is throwing out their 3rd line he can put out any combination of Matthews, Nylander,Kadri with guys like Gardiner. People who don't watch the Leafs or have no understanding of that can sometimes think that means Babcock has no faith in specific players when a lot of the time it's solely about matchups and playing players to their utmost strengths.

The key to the Leafs defence getting better is most likely not getting a middle pairing guy. Nor is the option really there for a stud #1 to be traded let alone traded for. It's forwards coming back and playing responsible.

The Leafs top 4 is Rielly, Hainsey, Gardiner and Zaitzev with Dermott most likely on the verge of taking over middle pairing minutes. Hainsey was basically used as a PKer all year last year meaning bringing anyone in to replace him will also have to take on that responsibility. Doubt you want to pay a top line D to play the number of PK minutes Hainsey put up. Zaitsev had a bad year after injury so we'll have to see if he flounders still or improves to his rookie self or beyond. Dermott is obviously going to be the offense for the 3rd pair and with Oz starting the season we'll get to see what he can do. I'm not nearly as worried as some and think this D can take us past the 1st round if need be.

Especially considering the Leafs strength comes from their forwards they may be average at best at defence but they are top 5 in offence and specifically at Center. Even in the playoffs, having Kadri as your 3rd best center (as long as he is not suspended....) should be more than enough for most teams in the PO.

Positive outlook vs Reality. The offense is impressive but another team with good offense and a solid D can beat the Leafs.

Rielly is used a lot and he had was a minus player on a team that scored 270 goals. You don't have to agree but the Leafs need a defensive beast that Babcock can pair with Rielly and play them 25+ minutes a game.

You want to be a dominate team? Find a defensive pairing that can shutdown the other teams top line.

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
For me the only way I see Petry going to the leafs is if the return is something like Sandin + 2nd round pick

You can't expect a borderline no2 defenseman for a late 1st, a 3rd, a bad contract and an AHLer (yes I know who nielsen is and I'm really not impressed maybe a no 6 if everything goes well)

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Positive outlook vs Reality. The offense is impressive but another team with good offense and a solid D can beat the Leafs.

Rielly is used a lot and he had was a minus player on a team that scored 270 goals. You don't have to agree but the Leafs need a defensive beast that Babcock can pair with Rielly and play them 25+ minutes a game.

You want to be a dominate team? Find a defensive pairing that can shutdown the other teams top line.

So the only way the Leafs can be a competitive team is to be a top 5 defensive team and a top 3 offensive team.....?

It's a good thing I guess we play the games as Washington certainly would attest to.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
If Juulsen plays well and Weber is healthy then yes I would take a 1st rounder for Petry at the deadline.

Weber would be 1RHD, Juulsen 2RHD and 3RHD could be a UFA, Lernout or Josh Brook.

But as of right now it's unrealistic to think the Habs would trade Petry.

Reactions: MolleSon

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
For me the only way I see Petry going to the leafs is if the return is something like Sandin + 2nd round pick

You can't expect a borderline no2 defenseman for a late 1st, a 3rd, a bad contract and an AHLer (yes I know who nielsen is and I'm really not impressed maybe a no 6 if everything goes well)

Yup. I agree the value is not great for Petry. Sandin + a 2nd would be fine. Either way I would rather see who else is available at the TDL. I'm not sure Petry would be the guy we are looking for and his contract would create issues for us going forward.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I like Petry as a player but he has an NMC and there is an expansion draft coming up.

A polite pass on trade involving him to the Leafs just based on that.

If he waives it to move to Toronto, I believe the Leafs can choose the re-conduct the close or not. Just like Nashville did with Subban, I think!?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
To Montreal;

1st 2019
3rd 2020
Nathan Horton
Prospect Andrew Nielsen

To Toronto;

Jeff Petry

Feedback?

If Montreal were to make Petry available I'm certain they could do better than this.

The certainly could get a comparable offer without having to take on a big contract for a useless player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad