To Montreal;

1st 2019
3rd 2020
Nathan Horton
Prospect Andrew Nielsen

To Toronto;

Jeff Petry

Feedback?
I came in expecting Nylander and am pleasantly surprised.

This looks like a lot of recent trades for better people, but I'd probably still do it.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Not sure why Montreal would trade Petry - he's our best dman right now with Weber out and he's solid as a mobile second pair RD when he gets back. Salary (5M, 4M, 4M), Cap Hit (5.5x3), age (30), and production (42 points) all seem solid. Hard to replace a guy like that.

Pretty sure there will be a solid market at the TDL if we wanted to move him (but why?) and his value would easily be a 1st and 3rd without any need to take on a contract like Horton's.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like Petry as a player but he has an NMC and there is an expansion draft coming up.

A polite pass on trade involving him to the Leafs just based on that.

Petry's contract was reduced to a NMC/MNTC starting this year. He lists 15 teams. Seattle is hoping to start in the 20/21 season but Bill Daily said the 21/22 season is more realistic. Petry would be in his last year of his current contract in 20/21.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To Montreal;

1st 2019
3rd 2020
Nathan Horton
Prospect Andrew Nielsen

To Toronto;

Jeff Petry

Feedback?

It's not a bad offer. I just wonder how many other teams outbid this?

- 2019 1st: It's more likely a 25+ pick. Is there any lottery protection? :sarcasm:
- 2020 3rd: Decent add on top of the 1st but it's more likely a 85+ pick.
- Horton: I don't think the Habs would be willing to pay that LTIR contract for this year and next for a meh return.
- Nielsen: Doesn't fit a Habs need. Maybe in Laval.

I do think Petry is a good fit for the Leafs but I don't see a deal here. Petry is an above average top 4D and signed for a solid 3 year term from age 30-32. Big mobile body who can play 2nd PP unit and clear the front of the net for Andersen. He also has some goal scoring ability. 8 goals two years ago and 12 last year... On a team that lacks skill and offense! I think he scores 10+ easily on that Leafs roster.

I think you need to cough up one of Liljegren or Sandin and the 1st if you want to make the Habs think about trading Petry. Tough pill to swallow put no team is trading an above average top 4D on a 3 year term for cheap. Habs needs are LD so if you want Petry, the Habs will be looking at one of Liljegren or Sandin... like it or not.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
that is reasonable for petry......i would take it

that is more then we got him for

What we got him for is irrelevant. What he has done with the Habs since we acquired him was matured into an above average top 4D. And we got him as a rental with a contract extension after his playoff run.

A UFA rental price vs 3 years in term is not the same thing.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
What we got him for is irrelevant. What he has done with the Habs since we acquired him was matured into an above average top 4D. And we got him as a rental with a contract extension after his playoff run.

A UFA rental price vs 3 years in term is not the same thing.

doesn't matter.....that is a reasonable offer for a #4 at best dman,

he hasn't gotten any better since we got him :rolleyes:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
doesn't matter.....that is a reasonable offer for a #4 at best dman,

he hasn't gotten any better since we got him :rolleyes:

Many believe Petry is not just a #4 at best... including Leafs fans who are interested in him. Petry is coming off his best season yet and he has gotten better. If you were correct, there would be zero interest for Petry on the trade market which is not the case.

3 year term for Petry is worth more than you think. You are just frustrated with the lack of success from the Habs team that you devalue the individual assets at the top of the line-up. The return we got for Patch should be an eye opener for you.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Horton in this case is a deal breaker. Also, I am not moving Petry until Weber is back and sure that Juulsen can take a top 4 role. Maybe revisit this trade at the draft next year?

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
It's not a bad offer. I just wonder how many other teams outbid this?

- 2019 1st: It's more likely a 25+ pick. Is there any lottery protection? :sarcasm:
- 2020 3rd: Decent add on top of the 1st but it's more likely a 85+ pick.
- Horton: I don't think the Habs would be willing to pay that LTIR contract for this year and next for a meh return.
- Nielsen: Doesn't fit a Habs need. Maybe in Laval.

I do think Petry is a good fit for the Leafs but I don't see a deal here. Petry is an above average top 4D and signed for a solid 3 year term from age 30-32. Big mobile body who can play 2nd PP unit and clear the front of the net for Andersen. He also has some goal scoring ability. 8 goals two years ago and 12 last year... On a team that lacks skill and offense! I think he scores 10+ easily on that Leafs roster.

I think you need to cough up one of Liljegren or Sandin and the 1st if you want to make the Habs think about trading Petry. Tough pill to swallow put no team is trading an above average top 4D on a 3 year term for cheap. Habs needs are LD so if you want Petry, the Habs will be looking at one of Liljegren or Sandin... like it or not.
WE would not do this trade.... But Bergy in his mind would...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
LOL...the return for patch was horrible....just like it was for chucky,

are you trying to say we are a better team now then we were with patches and chucky???

The return for Patch was solid. Way better than what most predicted on these boards. I think the Habs did give the better player in the Galchenyuk/Domi swap but we will have to see how these two do on their new teams this year to gauge it better.

Not sure where you came up with the last sentence? The point was the Habs are not liquidating our assets (the few vets we have) for cheap. It has nothing to do with if we are a better team this year vs last year. It's about team direction and selling expiring contracts with value to help other teams fill their holes while we stock pile our pipeline

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
WE would not do this trade.... But Bergy in his mind would...

I doubt Bergy makes this trade. He loves reliable players who are boring but do the little things right. Petry is our bridge for when Juulsen and Brook are ready to take on top 4D roles. And we need Weber back healthy before we consider moving Petry. Petry won't be liquidated for cheap. It's going to have to be a solid offer for us to think about moving this asset.

Name me one guy out there better than Petry in any teams top 4 that you see available? Come on help the Leafs out? I know they are looking and they should!

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
LOL...the return for patch was horrible....just like it was for chucky,

are you trying to say we are a better team now then we were with patches and chucky???

What do you mean? The patches return was great and even much better than most anticipated.

Galchenyuk and Domi have similar carreer PPG with Domi being younger and more physical. At worst, it’s a wash. Galchenyuk was my favorite player by a large margin but I can’t help but think he drove himself out of Montreal.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
No thanks. Would much rather see who else is available at the TDL.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I remember when Nielsen was the steal of the draft etc etc, now he is just a contract. I know injuries is a part, but still...

Nielsen has been another player we loved to throw in as part of a package (usually a collection of three lesser assets). He's probably worth even less than Carrick.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No thanks. Would much rather see who else is available at the TDL.

It will be interesting to see who becomes available this year and at the deadline. There are surprises every year. Finding a solid top 4D won't be easy though... many teams looking for a piece like this

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
It will be interesting to see who becomes available this year and at the deadline. There are surprises every year. Finding a solid top 4D won't be easy though... many teams looking for a piece like this

It never is. We also need to see how the Leafs defence plays this year as well. I know everyone on HF believes the Leafs have the worst D ever but the reality is they are not that bad. The biggest improvement will come from forwards playing better in the D zone. Both JVR and Bozak were a liability in their own zone. Bozak's only redeeming factor being his face offs. With the addition of an above average defensive forward in Tavares and another year under Nylander, Marner and Matthews, there's nothing to suggest they won't be even better defensively this year.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Galchenyuk and Domi have similar carreer PPG with Domi being younger and more physical. At worst, it’s a wash.

LOL.....lets see if you think its a wash after a season or two....we never got to see what chucky is really capable of here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It never is. We also need to see how the Leafs defence plays this year as well. I know everyone on HF believes the Leafs have the worst D ever but the reality is they are not that bad. The biggest improvement will come from forwards playing better in the D zone. Both JVR and Bozak were a liability in their own zone. Bozak's only redeeming factor being his face offs. With the addition of an above average defensive forward in Tavares and another year under Nylander, Marner and Matthews, there's nothing to suggest they won't be even better defensively this year.

Most realistic opinions that avoid trolling would say the Leafs have an average D. It's not the worse. Like I said before, The Leafs will destroy bottom 20 NHL teams but it's a different story when they face a top 10 team with offense and a solid defense.

IMO, from the outside looking in, the Leafs need a beast who is solid in his own end to play with Rielly. Someone Babcock can trust and play 25+ minutes a game. Expecting prospects to fill this hole is reasonable but that will take years.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
LOL.....lets see if you think its a wash after a season or two....we never got to see what chucky is really capable of here

Actually, we did. However, it’s Galchenyuk’s own fault if couldn’t put it together after his injury in Los Angeles. Bad passes, bad reads, poor backchecks etc...

As I said, he was my favorite player and I wanted him to succeed so much but at some point when the player is a PP killer, loses the puck all the time and doesn’t put the effort in, he’s not going to succeed. No coach or GM could have saved him.

That being said, I hope he gets his thing going in Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad