Peterborough Petes 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
You must be hoping Guryev never plays then.... They're a very similar style player. Limited offensive upside besides a hard shot (won't rush it that much). Fraser more dumb in the sense of retaliating but Guryev much more running around looking for the huge hit at the blue line, trying to take someone's head off. First thing Wilson is going to need to do is get him to stop constantly stepping up and just looking to decapitate forwards

Guryev will be fine, I’m not concerned. Much better first pass + terrific skater for his size. My concerns with Fraser stem from the rumours I’ve heard of him being an awful teammate.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Summary of some Petes news on 90.5 today

Oke interview
- Robertson came back to Toronto for summer and worked out with Gary Roberts for fitness in the AM and a Leafs group in the afternoon.

- When Maier became available import draft last minute, they did a bunch of video work on him, he's definitely going to an NHL camp in the fall according to Oke.

- Arena still expected to be ready on time - improvements to board/glass system as well as ice

Mason McTavish interview:
- Has the hockey cliches down, not really much new information.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Wilson (no real news here):
- Thinks offense will be better this season "more goals in the lineup", guys who were 18 last year have another experience, expects McTavish/Avon can make immediate impact.
- More experience in goal - big load on Jones last year.
- Expects Chisholm to be one of the best defencemen in the league, Guryev should push for ice immediately.
- Full year of Gallant should make a big difference.
- Then Said re:Gallant "we don't know what exactly will happen with Zach"- I'm hoping he's just referring to not knowing when they get him back and not if
- may start year with 0 or 1 OA depending on Gallant status - hope to play .500 on opening road trip before coming home.
- Expects Robertson to be a game changer after working with Roberts/Tavares (who I guess is in the Toronto group) this summer.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Guryev will be fine, I’m not concerned. Much better first pass + terrific skater for his size. My concerns with Fraser stem from the rumours I’ve heard of him being an awful teammate.
I've heard the complete opposite from a guy that's known him since he came to Peterborough. Poor kid has been a bit of a whipping boy since showing up, but he loves playing for Peterborough. He also told me that he vetoed trades to London and Owen Sound for a playoff run two years back, which I didnt believe at first but i guess it's the truth

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I've heard the complete opposite from a guy that's known him since he came to Peterborough. Poor kid has been a bit of a whipping boy since showing up, but he loves playing for Peterborough. He also told me that he vetoed trades to London and Owen Sound for a playoff run two years back, which I didnt believe at first but i guess it's the truth

Teams were trying to bring him in as a 17 year old?

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
You must be hoping Guryev never plays then.... They're a very similar style player. Limited offensive upside besides a hard shot (won't rush it that much). Fraser more dumb in the sense of retaliating but Guryev much more running around looking for the huge hit at the blue line, trying to take someone's head off. First thing Wilson is going to need to do is get him to stop constantly stepping up and just looking to decapitate forwards
Their game in mmidget was similar as far as physicality and player size but differed greatly as far as guryevs passing and puck moving abilities...neither had big offence but guryev is way better at moving the puck and not giving it away in his own zone.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Does anyone know what the lineup could look like? I'm curious to watch Merkely and Gallant, would've been cool if the Sharks got Robertson in the 2nd round as well; the Petes could've been the baby sharks

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Does anyone know what the lineup could look like? I'm curious to watch Merkely and Gallant, would've been cool if the Sharks got Robertson in the 2nd round as well; the Petes could've been the baby sharks

Here’s my guess at what it looks like opening night, assuming we get everybody back:

Robertson(TOR)-Gallant(SJ)-SDA(TOR)
Kirk(ARZ)-OA Trade-Butler
Little-McTavish-Hinz
Avon-Grondin-Denault

Chisholm(WPG)-Maier
OA Trade-Merkley(SJ)
Spearing-ParkerJones
Guryev

Jones
Austin

PP1:
Kirk-Gallant-Robertson
SDA-Merkley

PP2:
Butler-OA-McTavish
Maier-Chisholm

PK1:
Gallant-Denault
Chisholm-ParkerJones

PK2:
Grondin-Little/Robertson/Avon
Spearing-OA

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Here’s my guess at what it looks like opening night, assuming we get everybody back:

Little-McTavish-Hinz
Avon-Grondin-Denault

Chisholm(WPG)-Maier
OA Trade-Merkley(SJ)
Spearing-ParkerJones
Guryev

Jones
Austin

PP1:
Kirk-Gallant-Robertson
SDA-Merkley

PP2:
Butler-OA-McTavish
Maier-Chisholm

PK1:
Gallant-Denault
Chisholm-ParkerJones

PK2:
Spearing-OA
Looks like a solid team. I'm not too sure who to cheer for in the OHL this year. The Petes have some sharks prospects, but I will be in Sudbury for the year and am super excited to watch Byfield, and my hometown team is the greyhounds:laugh:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016

Little-McTavish-Hinz
Avon-Grondin-Denault

Chisholm(WPG)-Maier
OA Trade-Merkley(SJ)
Spearing-ParkerJones
Guryev

Jones
Austin

PP1:
Kirk-Gallant-Robertson
SDA-Merkley

PP2:
Butler-OA-McTavish
Maier-Chisholm

PK1:
Gallant-Denault
Chisholm-ParkerJones

PK2:
Spearing-OA

I like the looks of this lineup but with Wilson saying yesterday that they would start the season with 1 OA, I wonder if the plan is to wait on trading for OAs.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Any season ticket holders or Cavan-Monaghan residents grab tickets for the preseason game in Millbrook?

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
It's funny, rumblings about Fraser signing with Kansas City Mavericks of ECHL but apparently no one told the Mavericks because they have been announcing signings in the last week, but no mention of Fraser.

Maybe Fraser is talking about signing a pro contract as leverage to force the Petes to trade him......some OHL teams would be happy adding a tough OA Dman, I'm sure

Reactions: Zebra and dirty12

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
It's funny, rumblings about Fraser signing with Kansas City Mavericks of ECHL but apparently no one told the Mavericks because they have been announcing signings in the last week, but no mention of Fraser.

Maybe Fraser is talking about signing a pro contract as leverage to force the Petes to trade him......some OHL teams would be happy adding a tough OA Dman, I'm sure

This is seriously funny!

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

For what it’s worth, he’s now taken Kansas City out of his bio.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Well... since our prospects thread got shut down for some reason... here’s a look at where our past draft class is projected to play:

1 - McTavish: Petes OHL
1 - Avon: Petes OHL
2 - Guryev: Petes OHL
4 - Robertson: TBD
5 - Kavanagh: Petes MM
6 - Patey: Petes MM
7 - Katz: North York OJHL?
8 - Wood: Strathroy GOJHL
9 - Kennedy: TBD
10 - Simpson: Petes MM
11 - Ushakov: TBD
12 - Paone: fort Erie GOJHL
12 - Cutler: TBD
13 - Verner: MM Petes
14 - Dubois: TBD
15 - Mangan: TBD

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well... since our prospects thread got shut down for some reason... here’s a look at where our past draft class is projected to play:

1 - McTavish: Petes OHL
1 - Avon: Petes OHL
2 - Guryev: Petes OHL
4 - Robertson: TBD
5 - Kavanagh: Petes MM
6 - Patey: Petes MM
7 - Katz: North York OJHL?
8 - Wood: Strathroy GOJHL
9 - Kennedy: TBD
10 - Simpson: Petes MM
11 - Ushakov: TBD
12 - Paone: fort Erie GOJHL
12 - Cutler: TBD
13 - Verner: MM Petes
14 - Dubois: TBD
15 - Mangan: TBD

Read what I posted in the thread, I don't want the non-stickied threads getting cluttered with everyone making a prospects thread, we can lump them into the teams thread. If someone remakes the prospect post in this thread, I can post a link in the OP and sticky the OP so that it is always visible on every page of the thread (like what I just did or the SSM thread right now).

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
OHLInsiders
@OHLinsiders

·
13m
#OHL Peterborough Petes are working to move #SJSharks 1st Round Prospect D Ryan Merkley. Petes do not want to start the season with the player and are talking to a few teams. That being said, they're looking to get a return similar to what they paid for him so could drag on.

I’d be shocked if they dealt him. They’ll never get what we gave up to get him in the first place.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I’d be shocked if they dealt him. They’ll never get what we gave up to get him in the first place.
Yeah, I'll file that one beside "McTavish won't report to the Petes as long as Merkley is there", which Insiders also reported and which has obviously been proven untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad