Peterborough Petes 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Gogalev was considered a reporting risk. Drafting friend/teammate SDA was supposedly part of recruiting Gogalev.
Selecting McTavish was a no brainer, imo. The odds of the next best player willing to report being worth 3(2nds & 3rds) & comp 6th pick in 2nd round are not great.
I read some where that you can't get compansion 2yrs in a row for a defected player, does anybody know if this is true?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I read some where that you can't get compansion 2yrs in a row for a defected player, does anybody know if this is true?
Correct. You can trade him in the window for picks or in the January window for players. However you do not get the compensatory first next year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

According to a twitter post (ohlinsider?) consecutive years with a defect, it is a compensatory 2nd one pick back; so, 6th.
I know that Barrie & Miss did not exercise this; maybe, the defect rule was amended.

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Gogalev was considered a reporting risk. Drafting friend/teammate SDA was supposedly part of recruiting Gogalev.
Selecting McTavish was a no brainer, imo. The odds of the next best player willing to report being worth 3(2nds & 3rds) & comp 6th pick in 2nd round are not great.

We passed up selecting Barret hayton because he wouldn’t come that year.

Reactions: dirty12

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Just a heads up... fast hockey is live streaming this afternoons game between OMHA White (Avon, Patey) vs HEO (McTavish) at 3:45pm for free. Just have to sign up for an account.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
New article on the Examiner site about McTavish. Sounds like Switzerland is likely. Also, that Dale would move there with him. And that the reasons for not wanting to come to the Petes aren't because his agency can't work with the Petes. At least per "sources".

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
New article on the Examiner site about McTavish. Sounds like Switzerland is likely. Also, that Dale would move there with him. And that the reasons for not wanting to come to the Petes aren't because his agency can't work with the Petes. At least per "sources".

What a joke. How is Mike Oke still employed?

We deserve better than this.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
If you were in Oke's position what would you do differently?

Pick a guy that would’ve reported. You can’t take this risk twice in a row when your not guaranteed compensation... they met with Wyatt Johnston few days before the draft.... he likely would have came.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Imagine moving your family halfway across the world just to avoid the Petes.

I'll believe it when it happens.

Hopefully it doesn't, but given the fact they've lived there before and it's always ranked as one of the best countries to live in, it doesn't actually sound too far-fetched.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Hopefully it doesn't, but given the fact they've lived there before and it's always ranked as one of the best countries to live in, it doesn't actually sound too far-fetched.

I shouldn't say I'll believe it when it happens, because you're right, I wouldn't be shocked by it.

I just think this is an attempt to put pressure on the Petes to trade him before the season. With pretty much any other player, there would be no pressure on the Petes to do anything. The Switzerland option complicates things. If he threatened NCAA, the Petes could wait until the deadline to move him, but threatening moving to Switzerland puts some pressure on the Petes to do something this off season.

Dale is the owner/coach/GM of Pembroke. If that team goes up for sale, or sees a coaching/GM change this summer, then I'll take it more seriously.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
You're right. But trade the draft picks you get for McTavish for a high end player. Like NIA got Robertson earlier than everyone else last year by paying a bit more. Be the team that does that this year. Find the team that wants to tank and pay a little extra for their star 2 months earlier so you get him longer and they're a month or 2 ahead of everyone else for the tank. NIA will need to so go get Akil Thomas or Tomasino

The Soo should be selling large this year. Barrett Hayton, if returned to the O, could be a good target. Peterboro is his Dad Brian's hometown and he played his last year in the OHL for the Petes. Likely family in the area too.

Could it be something the younger Hayton might like to do? This would be a huge get for the Petes. This kid would be one of, if not the top players in the league next year.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The Soo should be selling large this year. Barrett Hayton, if returned to the O, could be a good target. Peterboro is his Dad Brian's hometown and he played his last year in the OHL for the Petes. Likely family in the area too.

Could it be something the younger Hayton might like to do? This would be a huge get for the Petes. This kid would be one of, if not the top players in the league next year.

He refused to come to Peterborough once already, can’t see it changing now.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
He refused to come to Peterborough once already, can’t see it changing now.

Oops. That's what I get for responding before finishing reading the whole thread!!

I read your earlier post above after I posted mine.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Sudbury reached and took guys to avoid the no-show issue. I don't think Levin or Lalonde were considered the #1 and #2 prospects in their draft.

Sudbury, Peterborough, basically any team with an older arena now is considered a have-not team.

Reactions: foghorn

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Sudbury reached and took guys to avoid the no-show issue. I don't think Levin or Lalonde were considered the #1 and #2 prospects in their draft.

Sudbury, Peterborough, basically any team with an older arena now is considered a have-not team.

It’s the management and perceived lack of development that makes them a have-not. Not the arena (although it doesn’t help)

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Imagine the message it sends to Butler and Chisholm when Newport says they can’t work with the Petes. Like yeah we’ll fight and protect our top clients for this hellhole but since you’re only third and second round picks we think it’s okay for you.

And talk about how badly we handled their clients. Chisholm gets NHL drafted and nominated for defensemen of the year, and Butler comes in as a rookie and finishes with nearly 20 goals. Whatever is going on behind the scenes with Newport and the Petes is a crock of shit pissing match, and McTavish is getting jerked around in the middle. Can’t believe his family actually think Switzerland is an option for a 16 year old, instead of stepping into an OHL team where he’ll likely be our 1C. None of it makes any sense. Last season we had to have had among the most NHL drafted players in the league and were adding two more this summer.

Something is rotten with this situation and Branch and the OHL should be getting to the bottom of it. Newport Agency isn’t acting in good faith. If it’s good enough for Chisholm to be defensemen of the year and Butler to be fourth in rookie goal scoring then it’s good enough for McTavish.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
It’s the management and perceived lack of development that makes them a have-not. Not the arena (although it doesn’t help)
totally agree have said for years our problem is Oke but everyone thinks hes doing a good job? really have not been good in 12 years? have not had a top 10 scorer in 14 years? top players either want out or refuse to report, but all is well lmao

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

There was a clear top four; Levin, Vilardi, McLeod, & Tippett. Vilardi was definitely not going to the wolves. Mcleod was only going to play in Missy. Maybe, the wolves were concerned about Tippett’s injured knee. Maybe, the wolves could not pass up the Levin story and his perceived offensive upside.

Lalonde was definitely not a reach for a player that would report. After selecting four forwards and a LD in three rounds the previous year, RD was going to be the pick. Merkley was picked first. Wilde was going US NTDP. Lalonde was the player the wolves wanted. The pre-draft debate on the wolves thread was between Lalonde, Nizhnikov, & Roberts.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
i bought the lack of development with last coach but not wilson..spearing and bulter played a ton in all situations and butler put up 18 goals as a 2nd round pick so thats old...its strickly a ploy to get where they want and if i was mike oke as asked in an earlier post id stick to my guns and let him do what he wants until hes ready to play for the peterborough petes this has got to stop for them..you dont think this excellent player and his dad doesnt want to play in the OHL!!?? My guess is theyll come around and he'll be an excellent player in the ohl for the petes...

Reactions: Diaero and dirty12

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Imagine the message it sends to Butler and Chisholm when Newport says they can’t work with the Petes. Like yeah we’ll fight and protect our top clients for this hellhole but since you’re only third and second round picks we think it’s okay for you.

And talk about how badly we handled their clients. Chisholm gets NHL drafted and nominated for defensemen of the year, and Butler comes in as a rookie and finishes with nearly 20 goals. Whatever is going on behind the scenes with Newport and the Petes is a crock of **** pissing match, and McTavish is getting jerked around in the middle. Can’t believe his family actually think Switzerland is an option for a 16 year old, instead of stepping into an OHL team where he’ll likely be our 1C. None of it makes any sense. Last season we had to have had among the most NHL drafted players in the league and were adding two more this summer.

Something is rotten with this situation and Branch and the OHL should be getting to the bottom of it. Newport Agency isn’t acting in good faith. If it’s good enough for Chisholm to be defensemen of the year and Butler to be fourth in rookie goal scoring then it’s good enough for McTavish.

In this case the agent is not the problem. Dale Mctavish does not want his son playing for the Petes and that is too bad. As for Oke I am sure that it was not his decision alone to draft McTavish. The board was part of this decision. Oke may not be perfect but he and his scouts made a good decision on Butler a year ago, cant argue with Robertson, Chisholm and Gallant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad