Peterborough Petes 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
What you should be asking yourselves is why agents won’t send their players to Peterborough. This has been an ongoing issue for years where even local kids didn’t want to come at draft time or even be traded there. It’s not the city or fan base or distance from home in many cases. We had issues in Sudbury for a long time and everyone knew what the problems were for the most part. What is the consistent issue and how does it get fixed?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Does anyone think McTavish will actually play in Europe? If so when. He is just turning 16. Does this mean he will wait until 18 to go there? Just doesn't add up.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Please get your facts straight before you sound off. Here are the picks they received for Cuylle:
  • Kingston’s 2nd round pick in 2019
  • Kingston’s 3rd round pick in 2020
  • Windsor’s 5th round pick in 2020
  • Windsor’s 3rd round pick in 2021
  • Barrie’s 2nd round pick in 2022
  • Windsor’s 3rd round in 2023
  • Windsor’s 2nd round pick in 2020
  • 1st round pick (5th overall) in 2019 (OHL Compensatory Pick)
  • 2nd round pick (end of round) in 2019 (OHL Compensatory Pick)
That’s Nine picks......the lowest is a 5th rounder. Oke has already turned some picks into Merkley and turned a 2nd round pick in this draft into a 2nd, 3rd and 6th in the future.

Be patient......wait and see what happens with the McTavish situation before you shove your seasons tickets up someone’s back end. This could all work out great for the Petes. I will tell u one thing. I saw that Guryev kid in the flesh today and he is a beast. I expect him to be a fan favourite, popular with his teammates and not so much with the opposition :thumbu:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Robertson-Gallant-OA
Kirk-SDA-Butler
Little-Euro-Hinz
Avon-Grondin-Denault

Chisholm-Fraser
Spearing-Merkley
Guryev-ParkerJones

Jones
Austin

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Robertson-Gallant-OA
Kirk-SDA-Butler
Little-Euro-Hinz
Avon-Grondin-Denault

Chisholm-Fraser
Spearing-Merkley
Guryev-ParkerJones

Jones
Austin

Question for NorthernVoice (because he was the one earlier in the season saying we'd be elite next year because of our upcoming draft and roster construction). If Gallant is signed, do we really think this lineup going into the year is elite?

Robertson-SDA-Trade for OA?
Kirk-Cermak/Euro-Butler
Little-Grondin-Hinz
Avon-Hutton-Denault

Chisholm-Fraser(OA)
Spearing-Merkley
Guryev-ParkerJones

Jones
Austin

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
I don't think we take another euro over Cermak, he played well and should only get better. I also don't think we'll dump Avon on a fourth line, that's a classic Hull move. It may just be speculation or wishful thinking but I also think we've seen the last of SDA. I just don't think Wilson trusts him out there.

I'd rather see JPJ on a fourth line role too than as a blueliner, but he can swap between the positions which makes him pretty valuable.

Robertson - OA (trade) - Butler
Kirk - Gallant - Hinz
Little - Grondin - Avon
JPJ - Cermak - Denault

If Gallant isn't back, move Avon up to 2C. I suspect we'd have options to upgrade on Hinz and acquire a 1C with all our draft capital, especially after a McTavish trade. Defense looks set. If we're wondering if that's an elite lineup, probably not but it's something we can build on with trades and deadline moves.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I don't think we take another euro over Cermak, he played well and should only get better. I also don't think we'll dump Avon on a fourth line, that's a classic Hull move. It may just be speculation or wishful thinking but I also think we've seen the last of SDA. I just don't think Wilson trusts him out there.

I'd rather see JPJ on a fourth line role too than as a blueliner, but he can swap between the positions which makes him pretty valuable.

Robertson - OA (trade) - Butler
Kirk - Gallant - Hinz
Little - Grondin - Avon
JPJ - Cermak - Denault

If Gallant isn't back, move Avon up to 2C. I suspect we'd have options to upgrade on Hinz and acquire a 1C with all our draft capital, especially after a McTavish trade. Defense looks set. If we're wondering if that's an elite lineup, probably not but it's something we can build on with trades and deadline moves.

If Cermak is a fourth line player why would you not look for an upgrade in the import draft?

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Robbie OA Kirk
OA Sammy avon
Little McTavish butler
Jpj grondin denault

Fraser Chisholm
Spearing merkley
Macnamara Guryev

This is how I would like the team to look something like this next year Not sure what to do with hinz and cermak I’d like them both to be here but someone will be getting beat out in training camp I have a feeling and you can use them in a package for OA’s

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
If Cermak is a fourth line player why would you not look for an upgrade in the import draft?

I don't think we need to subscribe to the Burke era two scoring lines two checking lines. Could drop Hinz down to a line with Cermak for more scoring punch. Having Little - Grondin - Denault as your dump and chase / grinder line. Roll 3 offensive lines.

I mean if there's someone better available at pick 31 then Cermak, sure, but the dude put up 25 points as a 17 year old. I think he only gets better.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I don't think we need to subscribe to the Burke era two scoring lines two checking lines. Could drop Hinz down to a line with Cermak for more scoring punch. Having Little - Grondin - Denault as your dump and chase / grinder line. Roll 3 offensive lines.

I mean if there's someone better available at pick 31 then Cermak, sure, but the dude put up 25 points as a 17 year old. I think he only gets better.

I’m a Cermak fan too no doubt... but if there’s an upgrade to be made... I’d explore it.

If they land McTavish ...

Robertson - Gallant - SDA
Kirk - Trade - Butler
Cermak - McTavish - Hinz
Avon - Grondin - Denault
Hutton

Prospects to keep an eye on: T.Robertson(2003), J.Kirk(2002), M.Perciballi(2002)

OA - Merkley
Chisholm - Fraser
Spearing - ParkerJones
Guryev

Prospects to keep an eye on: J.Kavanagh(2003), A.Chiarot(2002)

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthernVoice

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
I’m a Cermak fan too no doubt... but if there’s an upgrade to be made... I’d explore it.

Can't argue that. I just think Cermak has been one of our better import picks when we have a pretty dreadful record. Outside Kirk, Masin, Martschini, can't think of anyone as effective in a limited role.

If we move on from SDA, I think Cermak kind of fills that void.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Does anyone think McTavish will actually play in Europe? If so when. He is just turning 16. Does this mean he will wait until 18 to go there? Just doesn't add up.
It sure but he has citizenship couldnt he play in a jr league there? But I truly don’t believe it either he’s going to leave and not play in front of family and friends just to make a point?? It’s over now Petes refuse to be pushed around so let’s just get this excellent player playing in the best junior league in the world

Reactions: Zebra and dirty12

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
It sure but he has citizenship couldnt he play in a jr league there? But I truly don’t believe it either he’s going to leave and not play in front of family and friends just to make a point?? It’s over now Petes refuse to be pushed around so let’s just get this excellent player playing in the best junior league in the world
I think he's bluffing. Who's going to pay his schooling?
Just tell Pronger to pay the kid a visit--he can convince the kid if he needs convincing.
Mowanchuk1:
Never change your avatar...it's my favourite...always makes me smile.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I think he's bluffing. Who's going to pay his schooling?
Just tell Pronger to pay the kid a visit--he can convince the kid if he needs convincing.
Mowanchuk1:
Never change your avatar...it's my favourite...always makes me smile.
Lol thanks nelli27 mctavish’s dad played for the petes was even an oa his name is well known and respected in Peterborough this kid is a gem, a future franchise type that fans hope their camp can push what they had wanted aside (another specific team) to what they can make of it now and be the premier player his is

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
From a player development perspective, the Petes had a pretty good season under Wilson, didn't they? Looking at it strictly from that perspective for Mason McTavish.

Nick Robertson went from a guy ranked in the back of the top 100 for the NHL draft to a projected late 1st/early 2nd round pick.
Cam Butler stepped into the league less regarded than McTavish would be this year and instantly contributed with 18 goals.
Declan Chisholm made major strides and looks more and more like a future pro players.
Liam Kirk had about a 20 game adjustment period and was a point per game/35+ goal pace player from then on.
Hunter Jones was up and down but like Robertson significantly raised his draft stock from the beginning of the season to the end.
SDA regressed but even at that, look at what he's doing in the ECHL now.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Question for NorthernVoice (because he was the one earlier in the season saying we'd be elite next year because of our upcoming draft and roster construction). If Gallant is signed, do we really think this lineup going into the year is elite?
My point was that the way the roster was constructed, they were clearly built more for next year than the current season and that's obviously still the case. They aren't elite as is but they were never going to be based on drafting two 15 year olds, they're going to be based on the fact they have to add to the roster for the coming season because everything they've done the past couple seasons has put them into the situation where it's next season or bust.

They'll be in the upper half entering next season along with Ottawa/Oshawa/Sudbury, as they were always going to be. You may remember at the deadline I posted the excel sheet comparing the Petes forwards/defense/goaltending/picks for next season alongside those three teams and concluded they were about equal, so if you're trying to put words in my mouth saying they'd be the best team in the East next season, that didn't happen.

I think this upcoming year will be Oke's last season as GM, because for it not to be, I think he probably has to get McTavish to commit AND probably make at least the Conference final. I'm pretty skeptical that he can pull it off but the way the roster has been built he has to pull out all the stops to make it happen.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
From a player development perspective, the Petes had a pretty good season under Wilson, didn't they? Looking at it strictly from that perspective for Mason McTavish.

Nick Robertson went from a guy ranked in the back of the top 100 for the NHL draft to a projected late 1st/early 2nd round pick.
Cam Butler stepped into the league less regarded than McTavish would be this year and instantly contributed with 18 goals.
Declan Chisholm made major strides and looks more and more like a future pro players.
Liam Kirk had about a 20 game adjustment period and was a point per game/35+ goal pace player from then on.
Hunter Jones was up and down but like Robertson significantly raised his draft stock from the beginning of the season to the end.
SDA regressed but even at that, look at what he's doing in the ECHL now.
i would agree with you on all those points and it all has to do with Wilson putting rookies into situations that make them succeed and working with certain guys to try to make them complete players. i think wilson did a hell of a job this year.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
My point was that the way the roster was constructed, they were clearly built more for next year than the current season and that's obviously still the case. They aren't elite as is but they were never going to be based on drafting two 15 year olds, they're going to be based on the fact they have to add to the roster for the coming season because everything they've done the past couple seasons has put them into the situation where it's next season or bust.

They'll be in the upper half entering next season along with Ottawa/Oshawa/Sudbury, as they were always going to be. You may remember at the deadline I posted the excel sheet comparing the Petes forwards/defense/goaltending/picks for next season alongside those three teams and concluded they were about equal, so if you're trying to put words in my mouth saying they'd be the best team in the East next season, that didn't happen.

I think this upcoming year will be Oke's last season as GM, because for it not to be, I think he probably has to get McTavish to commit AND probably make at least the Conference final. I'm pretty skeptical that he can pull it off but the way the roster has been built he has to pull out all the stops to make it happen.
i think that was their plan to go for it next year and likely still is but with not much progression on the backend with Macnamara and Fraser not sure the D will be strong enough unless they get an OA dman and drop Cermak for a Euro dman to bolster along with Guryev learning the ropes. Spearing was excellent 2nd half with more responsibility and Chisholm really upped his game. IF they make those moves and use some of those 2nds and maybe move McTavish if he doesnt show they could be in really good shape for the 2nd half of the season.
I differ with Oke, i do believe he will have to be at least 1st or 2nd in east and a good playoff run if not finals but i think he gets an extension if all that happens is see a 2yr deal. i agree he needs to pull out all the stops and go for it blow the cupboard up !

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Oke will need to truly go all in this year and exactly like you said top in our division and or conference and at minimum eastern Conference final and if that series isn’t close still not enough for an extension. And IMO the moves start now he has already traded picks for more picks. Get McTavish on board and then get a solid OA to start the season

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
i think that was their plan to go for it next year and likely still is but with not much progression on the backend with Macnamara and Fraser not sure the D will be strong enough unless they get an OA dman and drop Cermak for a Euro dman to bolster along with Guryev learning the ropes. Spearing was excellent 2nd half with more responsibility and Chisholm really upped his game. IF they make those moves and use some of those 2nds and maybe move McTavish if he doesnt show they could be in really good shape for the 2nd half of the season.
I differ with Oke, i do believe he will have to be at least 1st or 2nd in east and a good playoff run if not finals but i think he gets an extension if all that happens is see a 2yr deal. i agree he needs to pull out all the stops and go for it blow the cupboard up !
I think Fraser can still be a very solid OA. He's an impactful player in a lot of different ways, the tools, with the shot, the physical game, his presence, it's all there and I think he made way less mistakes and costly plays (missed hits) this year.

McNamara... no matter who they add or subtract he seems to be there as the sixth defenceman, doesn't move up.or down in the priority... I think the Petes have something in JPJ. You notice @Petes had JPJ in his D-lineup and not McNamara. I don't think that was an oversight... Would JPJ/Spearing not be an incredible third pairing next season with a top 4 of Merkley/Chisholm/Fraser/OA or trade acquisition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad