Peterborough Petes 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I think Fraser can still be a very solid OA. He's an impactful player in a lot of different ways, the tools, with the shot, the physical game, his presence, it's all there and I think he made way less mistakes and costly plays (missed hits) this year.

McNamara... no matter who they add or subtract he seems to be there as the sixth defenceman, doesn't move up.or down in the priority... I think the Petes have something in JPJ. You notice @Petes had JPJ in his D-lineup and not McNamara. I don't think that was an oversight... Would JPJ/Spearing not be an incredible third pairing next season with a top 4 of Merkley/Chisholm/Fraser/OA or trade acquisition?

totally forgot about jpj yes id have him in mix and not macnamara. also, although i didnt see any progression of fraser, he would still be an OA for me too. if they were able to get a read stud euro dman id release cermak who i believe played very well and deserves to remain but if that dman appears sorry cermak...merkley is also a wildcard if he'll be back at all even so you may still need to trade for another OA dman. big guryev although physically could play today will need an adjustment skill wise

chisholm fraser
jpj spearing
euro OA (or merkley)
guryev

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It sure but he has citizenship couldnt he play in a jr league there? But I truly don’t believe it either he’s going to leave and not play in front of family and friends just to make a point?? It’s over now Petes refuse to be pushed around so let’s just get this excellent player playing in the best junior league in the world
Kid is too young to be going over seas to play IMO. He will likely end up in Peterborough.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Kid is too young to be going over seas to play IMO. He will likely end up in Peterborough.
He would t be going by himself he’d have mom or dad or both there to play in a junior league but I agree it’s really a crazy thought even to threaten with to be honest but I just hope he reports and it’s all forgotten and the kid does well

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
He would t be going by himself he’d have mom or dad or both there to play in a junior league but I agree it’s really a crazy thought even to threaten with to be honest but I just hope he reports and it’s all forgotten and the kid does well
This is what I mean Mo. Can't imagine a family pulling up roots. Leaving their jobs and moving across the pond just for a slight chance their kid might make it in hockey years from now. Crazier things have happened but I think this would be considered extreme.

Reactions: Otto

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
This is what I mean Mo. Can't imagine a family pulling up roots. Leaving their jobs and moving across the pond just for a slight chance their kid might make it in hockey years from now. Crazier things have happened but I think this would be considered extreme.
Yeah I hope not too bobber I’m sure once things cool down they’ll start chatting and get something done for the greater good of the boy

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
so if what I'm taking from the last few days is Merkley fired his agent and that agent is telling his clients not to report to Peterborough?

I don't get how Switzerland is a better option than literally any CHL team for a young player to be seen by scouts. He's not Auston Matthews. If his agent is telling him that's a viable route to the NHL, his agent is doing him a disservice. Petes have their issues but the place is always packed with scouts.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Also, I'm not giving up on SDA. The raw talent there is still ridiculous, find someone for 19-20 to the new version of 17-18 Korostelev beside him.

Let me introduce you to Mr. Arthur Kaliyev!
A Russian sniper on the wing seems like a perfect fit for SDA......and Oke could have a deal with Hamilton that included conditional picks for Kaliyev returning in 2020-2021.......but IMO Hamilton won’t receive those extra conditional picks. I think he will be a 1 and done.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

The only thing I can think of is if Dale has connections over there, or maybe some really good friends, that they might have Mason live with. Dale played there for several years, so I can see that being a possibility. I wouldn't think it's too strong a possibility, but you never know.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
The only thing I can think of is if Dale has connections over there, or maybe some really good friends, that they might have Mason live with. Dale played there for several years, so I can see that being a possibility. I wouldn't think it's too strong a possibility, but you never know.
I'm of the mindset of let him go and keep his rights. There's no first round comp pick, so fine, go to Switzerland or play Jr. b, stunt your development and please your agent however you like but if you're playing in the OHL it's in Peterborough.

Last edited:

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Is Mamna McTavish from Switzerland?
Maybe there is lots of family over there/

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Also, I'm not giving up on SDA. The raw talent there is still ridiculous, find someone for 19-20 to the new version of 17-18 Korostelev beside him.

Question: Are there any prospects from last year's draft (2018) ready to step into the lineup?

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I'm of the mindset of let him go and keep his rights. There's no first round comp pick, so fine, go to Switzerland or play Jr. b, stunt your development and please your agent however you like but if you're playing in the OHL it's in Peterborough.
I agree with you 100% but the kid is worth to much on the trade front for the Pete’s to bury him. As an asset they can recoup some significant pieces in return. However it would have to be some “living and breathing” bodies not just future picks in my mind? With him being a first round pick do they have to hold on to him for a certain amount of time or can they trade him right away?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I agree with you 100% but the kid is worth to much on the trade front for the Pete’s to bury him. As an asset they can recoup some significant pieces in return. However it would have to be some “living and breathing” bodies not just future picks in my mind? With him being a first round pick do they have to hold on to him for a certain amount of time or can they trade him right away?

You can’t deal him for anything but draft picks. OHL rules.

Reactions: Buttsy

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
This is from an article on how hard it is to make the NHL. Yet parents of some elite midget players think they can manipulate their kid into the NHL by refusing to report to certain teams. The thought process is that by playing on certain franchises it boost your chance of becoming an NHL player. Just a thought.​

A recent examination of all the rosters of the major junior leagues and U.S. colleges from the 1988-89 season gave a stark reminder of just how difficult the jump is from major junior or college to the NHL.
The 94 rosters from that season in the OHL, WHL and QMJHL in junior and the CCHA, WCHA, Hockey East and ECAC had a total of 2,428 players on them, 113 of whom have been or become NHL regulars in the nine years since then.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
This is from an article on how hard it is to make the NHL.

Yup so true I had the privledge of coaching a true superstar kid in minor hockey. He was exceptional in minor hockey, exceptional in the OHL playing twice on Gold Medal winning WJC Teams. Was a first round draft pick in the NHL and although he played I think for over 600 NHL games he really had to fight to stick and retired at 33 or so with no contract offers? It really is an incredible long shot oh and this kid reported to his drafting OHL team as well!
Bobber no bragging (maybe a little) here just supporting your post on how tough it is to make it to the NHL. :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Yup so true I had the privledge of coaching a true superstar kid in minor hockey. He was exceptional in minor hockey, exceptional in the OHL playing twice on Gold Medal winning WJC Teams. Was a first round draft pick in the NHL and although he played I think for over 600 NHL games he really had to fight to stick and retired at 33 or so with no contract offers? It really is an incredible long shot oh and this kid reported to his drafting OHL team as well!
Bobber no bragging (maybe a little) here just supporting your post on how tough it is to make it to the NHL. :laugh: :laugh:
Your a good man Buttsy. Keep up the good work.:)

Reactions: Buttsy

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Hamilton selected Connor McMichael 1st round, 11th overall 2017. He then played 32 games for them before being traded to London for Robbie Thomas at the 2018 deadline. I believe you can’t trade future first round picks, but you can trade the player acquired with the pick at some point, and it looks like at or near the trade deadline in the player’s rookie season might be the first opportunity.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Let me introduce you to Mr. Arthur Kaliyev!
A Russian sniper on the wing seems like a perfect fit for SDA......and Oke could have a deal with Hamilton that included conditional picks for Kaliyev returning in 2020-2021.......but IMO Hamilton won’t receive those extra conditional picks. I think he will be a 1 and done.
Kaliyev had some awesome chemistry with Robertson in the prospects game too

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
If the Petes are as good as people think they could be next year and the Gens decide the 2021 Memorial Cup hosting is a legit possibility, imagine a Noel or McShane for McTavish trade in that January window..... Would make a ton of sense for both teams. But would never happen because OSH/PBO lol

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
If the Petes are as good as people think they could be next year and the Gens decide the 2021 Memorial Cup hosting is a legit possibility, imagine a Noel or McShane for McTavish trade in that January window..... Would make a ton of sense for both teams. But would never happen because OSH/PBO lol

Maybe this is the time to change that can still be bitter rivals but a good trade is a good trade to whoever it may be I just don’t see oke waiting till January to deal him he’ll want to know what he’s got to use before the season starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad