Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
With all the people worried about the distribution of lines. Do you think the team breaks up the SDA - Thomas - Robertson line or do you think they are set for the rest of the season?

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
With all the people worried about the distribution of lines. Do you think the team breaks up the SDA - Thomas - Robertson line or do you think they are set for the rest of the season?
I wouldn't lay a finger on that first line right now. The 2nd line of kirk-gallant-mctavish have only had one game together, so I'd give them more time when Kirk is back. The little-grodin-hinz line has been a good possession/banger line, that has potential to contribute in the goal department. And then whatever trio of young fellas get thrown together on the 4th line arent likely to see too many minute at this point, but they're all fairly responsible in their own end so it really wouldnt worry me

Long story short, I think the lines they have all can be effective without having to split the top 3 up. Just need Kirk healthy to round it all back together

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

I am worried about the lack of depth, but if we win it'll be because Jones is better than their goalie and because SDA-Thomas-Robertson is better than their top line. So I'd leave them together and just hope no team can shut them down

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I am worried about the lack of depth, but if we win it'll be because Jones is better than their goalie and because SDA-Thomas-Robertson is better than their top line. So I'd leave them together and just hope no team can shut them down

I am not worried about our depth. We have one of the best first lines in the league. Our second line is strong. Gallant is a point a game, Kirk is on pace for 75 to 80 points and McTavish is the leading rookie scorer. With the addition of Akil Thomas we match up well against Ottawa and Oshawa with our first, two lines. In my opinion our third line is a good defensive line who is stronger than both Ottawa and Oshawa. We have a strong fourth line. We have a veteran defence and possibility the best goalie in the Eastern Conference. We have size. On Saturday we intimidated Ottawa with our hitting.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
A bit of depth at forward would have been nice, but I'm not too worried. Largely because nobody else in the East, at least, has any more depth. Including Ottawa, who have such a massive drop-off (production wise) after their top 2 lines. And realistically I think the 67's are the only team to really worry about in the East. Oshawa could be tricky, but I don't think they can beat the Petes in a 7 game series. If Ottawa had added a couple more forwards I might be worried, but right now I think the Petes are in great shape.

Hopefully this week off will let everyone kick the last of the illness that had been going through the team and give them a chance to get some consistent lines running in practice to set up for the final 2 months.

Reactions: NorthernVoice

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
All of Little, Grondin, Hinz have the ability to put up 40+ points when they are on their game. That’s really not a bad third line.

The big thing is Kirk getting back on track again to get that second line going.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I don’t think we should underestimate the value of our physical forwards.
In some of the games I have seen, physical play is just as valuable as goals scored.
The rough stuff knocks the other teams off their game -they don’t know how to play against us-
This is also how we can win.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
In some of the games I have seen, physical play is just as valuable as goals scored.
The rough stuff knocks the other teams off their game -they don’t know how to play against us-

Should be a key part of our game come playoff time, no doubt.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

I love how Grondin has been playing the last couple of months!

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Looking at our schedule rest of way we have 18 home games and 8 away we have lots of 3 games in 4 night weekends but Oshawa abd Ottawa are 50/50 home games and away and have more 4 games in 5 nights Ottawa has a stretch they play 7 games in 11 nights We need to take advantage of no more big road swings and pile up the points most importantly win the head to heads going to be a fun ride. Strap yourself in!

Reactions: Bra Wavers

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Is anyone else worried about that loss to Oshawa? We were missing Kirk but Oshawa was missing two top guys. I think the Petes might have been weary after the Ottawa game and that is why they weren't as fast as Oshawa. I agree that having this week off is huge. For rest and quality practices.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Oshawa can win a game or two in a seven game series but don't have the checkmarks in goaltending, size or scoring punch. They're gonna give someone a run for their money in the first or second round for sure, but they're not beating Peterborough.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Is anyone else worried about that loss to Oshawa? We were missing Kirk but Oshawa was missing two top guys. I think the Petes might have been weary after the Ottawa game and that is why they weren't as fast as Oshawa. I agree that having this week off is huge. For rest and quality practices.

Oshawa is a good team no doubt and will give any team a good playoff series. That this weekend showed all three of us are good we beat Ottawa 4-0 does that mean we would dominate a playoff series against them. No. Oshawa beat us after we played basically a playoff game the night before where they didn’t play Saturday night. The stretch will be fun Oshawa is built to be a good team. Petes and Ottawa are built to be the best team We have the best schedule a team could ask for down the stretch

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Oshawa can win a game or two in a seven game series but don't have the checkmarks in goaltending, size or scoring punch. They're gonna give someone a run for their money in the first or second round for sure, but they're not beating Peterborough.
Yeah I agree, Oshawa is solid for sure but Sunday night I think there was a let down after such a huge game Saturday night.

I'm looking forward to tonight's game. Flint coming off an OT loss in Ottawa.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Good thing we had a good first and Flint came out flat. Jones saved their butts tonight.

Flint had some nice chances in the third and Jones was certainly locked in but really not a lot of high danger opportunities IMO.

Hudson Wilson is such a beast in the defensive zone, what a pick up that was. Him and Paquette (who had some huge blocked shots) did a great job killing penalties and keeping chances to a minimum at the end of the game.

Meanwhile, Chisholm playing the full 2 minutes on most PP these days, really using the D to their strengths.

SDA 3 game goal streak...

Reactions: dirty12

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Who sits on D when Maier returns? It's too bad we didn't trade him for Pekar or Sopa at the deadline because I'd say York is now ahead on him on the depth chart.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Who sits on D when Maier returns? It's too bad we didn't trade him for Pekar or Sopa at the deadline because I'd say York is now ahead on him on the depth chart.

I would think they may move Shawn Spearing to left wing. He played there a few games last year.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I would think they may move Shawn Spearing to left wing. He played there a few games last year.

I’m sorry but this is an awful idea. Spearing is already better than McNamara and Maier. I think they’ll just rotate the three in and keep them fresh... also why ruin the development of one of the three rookie forwards just to have Spearing pretend to play a position he knows nothing about.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I’m sorry but this is an awful idea. Spearing is already better than McNamara and Maier. I think they’ll just rotate the three in and keep them fresh... also why ruin the development of one of the three rookie forwards just to have Spearing pretend to play a position he knows nothing about.
I wouldnt play Maier over McNamara, so I'm thinking he's going to have to wait until someone gives up a spot

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Flint had some nice chances in the third and Jones was certainly locked in but really not a lot of high danger opportunities IMO.

Hudson Wilson is such a beast in the defensive zone, what a pick up that was. Him and Paquette (who had some huge blocked shots) did a great job killing penalties and keeping chances to a minimum at the end of the game.

Meanwhile, Chisholm playing the full 2 minutes on most PP these days, really using the D to their strengths.

SDA 3 game goal streak...

Our first line and PP, SDA, Robertson and Thomas spend away too much time being fancy in the offensive zone and often keep the puck in the O zone but end up without a shot. You can't win often in this league scoring two goals. Play this way against good teams (Ottawa) in the playoffs and they will end up being posted to the boards too many times. I agree Paquette and Wison are very steady on defence and all our D are playing well.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Our first line and PP, SDA, Robertson and Thomas spend away too much time being fancy in the offensive zone and often keep the puck in the O zone but end up without a shot. You can't win often in this league scoring two goals. Play this way against good teams (Ottawa) in the playoffs and they will end up being posted to the boards too many times.
They literally just played this way against Ottawa and it turned out pretty well. Don't underestimate how much all that possession time impacts the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad