Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
How about Akil Thomas blocking shots, killing penalties, winning faceoffs, mixing it up with Bahl. Nice assist as well. Total package.

IMO the additions to this lineup gave everyone a real jolt. Everyone seemed inspired and had lots of energy.

What a class act Akil Thomas is.
- making the call to Steve Montador’s family to ask about wearing #44
- saying in an interview that he was excited to learn from playing with SDA and Robertson
- taking pride in playing as well defensively as he does offensively
- blocking shots on the PK
For a guy who just scored the gold medal winning goal at the WJC and has signed a pro contract he appears so humble, great team guy, willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win.
:thumbu:

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I really like the look of the York and Chisholm pairing on paper, they sounded really solid on the radio too. Hopefully they looked at least half as sharp in person?

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I really like the look of the York and Chisholm pairing on paper, they sounded really solid on the radio too. Hopefully they looked at least half as sharp in person?
It looked like a good defensive pairing. Both good skaters and move the puck well. Sometimes the euphoria of playing your first game with a new club takes you to the next level so we'll see if York is the surprise steal we think he is.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
It looked like a good defensive pairing. Both good skaters and move the puck well. Sometimes the euphoria of playing your first game with a new club takes you to the next level so we'll see if York is the surprise steal we think he is.

I thought they were great together. York was a very pleasant surprise. Good skater, physical, willing to use his shot from the point. He played well.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
This Oshawa -Petes game follows the same pattern of pretty much every game they've played in Oshawa over the past 10 years. Good on the Petes for clawing back into this game but it wasn't in the cards. Oshawa has found a new jump lately and I think they will be in the mix in the East. The Petes rarely find luck in Oshawa and it is telling that we kept breaking sticks on shots in their end with one broken stick by Paquette eventually leading to a penalty against Robertson for sliding his stick to Paquette. A rare kind of penalty . Then Oshawa of course gets a PP goal.

Jones not his strongest tonight.

Kudos to the Generals though - they played hungry.

Reactions: dirty12

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Disappointing after the way they played last night against Ottawa. We need to get some consistency back or we could be in some trouble with some tough games ahead.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
I am a season ticket holder and have followed the Petes for many years. My biggest concern about this team and has been since the start of the season is the lack of size on our top line specifically SDA and Robertson. We are now entering the second half of the season and hopefully a long playoff run and it will be a totally different game than the first half. SDA and especially Robertson were pounded by a big strong Owen Sound team and this will not get better. This constant physical pounding on small players results in ineffectiveness and even worse injuries. You could see it in Robertson's reaction last night. Good for Little for stepping up and taking on a bigger Owen Sound player. Hopefully we add another skilled player today but this also shows the need for having guys like Gallant, Grondin, Little and JPJ. In playoff hockey other teams will target the smaller skilled players. I am not pushing the panic button but just pointing out what I observe. Hoping for a long playoff run.
This happened to 67s last run, their coach even admitted this was a factor in their loss. They could not physically compete anymore.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
IMO tonight showed why the Petes needed to add another top 6 piece at forward. With Kirk out, the domino effect limited the Petes offense to one line. Hinz moved to 2nd line, JPJ moves to 3rd line and McMullen dresses. Gallant needs wingers who are better puck possessors. McTavish can shoot.....no doubt about that.....but he is a rookie and often has time creating offense. Hinz isn't dynamic enough or strong enough offensively to fill Kirk's shoes. This team can't succeed as a 1 line team. The good news is that they have 26 games left until the playoffs so they have time to sort things out.
  • The Petes top line was great
  • Gallant -4, McTavish -3, Hinz -3
  • Petes' PP was 1 for 1, Generals' PP 2 for 3
I hate losing to Oshawa but there were some bad bounces and this game provides some good video to look at and lead to a good week of practice

The Petes have played the most games in the league. This will be a good week for everyone to catch their breath after all of the holidays/trade deadline hullabaloo. Only one game this week as they host Flint on Saturday night.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
IMO tonight showed why the Petes needed to add another top 6 piece at forward. With Kirk out, the domino effect limited the Petes offense to one line. Hinz moved to 2nd line, JPJ moves to 3rd line and McMullen dresses. Gallant needs wingers who are better puck possessors. McTavish can shoot.....no doubt about that.....but he is a rookie and often has time creating offense. Hinz isn't dynamic enough or strong enough offensively to fill Kirk's shoes. This team can't succeed as a 1 line team. The good news is that they have 26 games left until the playoffs so they have time to sort things out.
  • Petes' PP was 1 for 1, Generals' PP 2 for 3
I hate losing to Oshawa but there were some bad bounces and this game provides some good video to look at and lead to a good week of practice

The Petes have played the most games in the league. This will be a good week for everyone to catch their breath after all of the holidays/trade deadline hullabaloo. Only one game this week as they host Flint on Saturday night.
They also have the make up game vs Niagara on Sunday.

Did Kirk not finish the game vs Ottawa? I could have swore he did. Hinz has the ability to step up but he never seems to when it's needed.

Jones getting caught out of the net ended up being the difference maker tonight... They dug a deep hole and waited too long to wake up. Hopefully the break will bring good things because the Flint game wont be any easier and they get Saginaw next week.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I'm not overly upset about losing to Oshawa, they're a good team for sure but I still think the Petes can beat them in a 7 game series - and if that's to happen, it's likely in the Conference Finals. This team has winning records against both Ottawa and Oshawa on the season and I don't think the weekend games really give any more reason to think the team is now far superior to Ottawa or has fallen behind Oshawa. All 3 are good teams and I think the Petes on top of their game can beat both of them.

I do think it might come down to the second line though. If the first line as constructed now with Robertson-Thomas-SDA stays together, they can match up with any line in the league. I'm not sure before the Thomas trade they could match up with Ottawa, so obviously massive get there.

For the second line, Gallant has been as you'd expect as the veteran captain and second line centre. 21 goals is just where you'd want him to be. The plus-minus is a bit ugly but it's been well documented that he's been asked to carry linemates for most of the year.

Kirk hasn't been himself the past couple weeks but without them coming right out and saying it, he's obviously been playing through something lately, whether that's just the flu or something more, who's to say. Take away the first 20 games or so of last season and he's played at at 40 goal, point per game pace for about 80 games in the OHL now, so really no reason to doubt he'll respond down the stretch.

McTavish is going through a bit of a tough stretch here as well. Minus-13 in his last six games (though in the game before those 6, he had a hat trick and 5 points, so obvious arbitrary end points). It could be just a little rough patch, it could be not riding shotgun with SDA anymore, it could be the league adjusting to him.

I'd give them lots of time to figure it out but I could see eventually making an adjustment here. Kirk-Gallant-McTavish doesn't really have a traditional playmaker, all three are shoot first. Kirk could be the distributor but I'm not sure it's best role. Gallant can open space for them with his size and physical play but again, he's hardly a traditional playmaker.

I don't know, lots of time to figure it out, if Kirk misses any more time, they should probably try someone other than Hinz in that spot. Basically just some rambling thoughts while we wait five more days for another game...

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I'm not overly upset about losing to Oshawa, they're a good team for sure but I still think the Petes can beat them in a 7 game series - and if that's to happen, it's likely in the Conference Finals. This team has winning records against both Ottawa and Oshawa on the season and I don't think the weekend games really give any more reason to think the team is now far superior to Ottawa or has fallen behind Oshawa. All 3 are good teams and I think the Petes on top of their game can beat both of them.

I do think it might come down to the second line though. If the first line as constructed now with Robertson-Thomas-SDA stays together, they can match up with any line in the league. I'm not sure before the Thomas trade they could match up with Ottawa, so obviously massive get there.

For the second line, Gallant has been as you'd expect as the veteran captain and second line centre. 21 goals is just where you'd want him to be. The plus-minus is a bit ugly but it's been well documented that he's been asked to carry linemates for most of the year.

Kirk hasn't been himself the past couple weeks but without them coming right out and saying it, he's obviously been playing through something lately, whether that's just the flu or something more, who's to say. Take away the first 20 games or so of last season and he's played at at 40 goal, point per game pace for about 80 games in the OHL now, so really no reason to doubt he'll respond down the stretch.

McTavish is going through a bit of a tough stretch here as well. Minus-13 in his last six games (though in the game before those 6, he had a hat trick and 5 points, so obvious arbitrary end points). It could be just a little rough patch, it could be not riding shotgun with SDA anymore, it could be the league adjusting to him.

I'd give them lots of time to figure it out but I could see eventually making an adjustment here. Kirk-Gallant-McTavish doesn't really have a traditional playmaker, all three are shoot first. Kirk could be the distributor but I'm not sure it's best role. Gallant can open space for them with his size and physical play but again, he's hardly a traditional playmaker.

I don't know, lots of time to figure it out, if Kirk misses any more time, they should probably try someone other than Hinz in that spot. Basically just some rambling thoughts while we wait five more days for another game...
You could be right, but talk to a Niagara icedogs fan and they were probably saying the same thing last season, the playoffs is a whole other thing, just saying.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
You could be right, but talk to a Niagara icedogs fan and they were probably saying the same thing last season, the playoffs is a whole other thing, just saying.
Oshawa had way better Goaltending and a better balanced team. They also upgraded on Brassard and Studnika and added a 88 point player on top of that.

Take the trolling back to the Oshawa thread.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Oshawa had way better Goaltending and a better balanced team. They also upgraded on Brassard and Studnika and added a 88 point player on top of that.

Take the trolling back to the Oshawa thread.
Oshawa and Niagara had basically the same record last year too, the only difference was in loser points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad