Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I've really grown tired of the fantasy GM stuff. I know I used to do it a lot too but you know every player reads these boards and probably doesn't need to read people wishcasting him 8 hours away from their current life.

Hayton isn't a great fit like others have said, who cares if he's from Peterborough, this organization means nothing to him.

I'd like to see just picks moved and keep the 03s. I don't see many other teams willing to move their 03* at the deadline, teams will target the Petes because there are two of them here, which is why Greyhounds fans are already circling like vultures but that doesn't mean Petes need to move them.

*Though Windsor likely moves Wyatt Johnston I guess after he was hesitant to report and is now a healthy scratch as often as not.

So who do you think the Petes will acquire with just picks?

Do you think Oke will feel some pressure to trade at least one young player to give the Petes a fighting chance at an OHL championship, given all of the 2000's they have?

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Trading for guys in the value bracket that would only cost picks is a half measure.

Oke needs to swing at the fences and if that costs us Avon/Butler/Spearing, then so be it. I imagine it sucks seeing your name in trade speculation but when you're a valuable young asset that comes with the territory. If Oshawa sells, then that leaves Ottawa as the Big Bad guy we need to stare down, and we've shown we can rattle that core with some physical play and watch them come undone. When else are we going to get a path in the East that includes a team better than us bowing out to try to host a Memorial Cup next year? Everything is aligned for this season.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Trading for guys in the value bracket that would only cost picks is a half measure.

Trading for guys in the value bracket that would only cost picks may be a half measure only if that is all that you do. If you are all in big time. You do that (Damiani/Hillis) plus move a high end young player for that elite player.(Thomas/Hayton)

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

Oke needs to swing at the fences and if that costs us Avon/Butler/Spearing, then so be it. I imagine it sucks seeing your name in trade speculation but when you're a valuable young asset that comes with the territory. If Oshawa sells, then that leaves Ottawa as the Big Bad guy we need to stare down, and we've shown we can rattle that core with some physical play and watch them come undone. When else are we going to get a path in the East that includes a team better than us bowing out to try to host a Memorial Cup next year? Everything is aligned for this season.

Idk. Look at how Kingston sold the farm a few years ago and Niagara last year and not even make it to the final. I’d honestly rather them look at a player like Coe from North Bay or MacKay from Soo who will be here more than a few months. Dumping everything we have on rentals isn’t the best option in my opinion.

Reactions: ptbopete

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Idk. Look at how Kingston sold the farm a few years ago and Niagara last year and not even make it to the final. I’d honestly rather them look at a player like Coe from North Bay or MacKay from Soo who will be here more than a few months. Dumping everything we have on rentals isn’t the best option in my opinion.

Every year multiple teams go all in hopes of a championship run. Two, three, four, teams or whatever. But only one team can win it all.

Pointing at Niagara last year calling that model a failure when Guelph did the same and had success doesn’t really wash.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
So who do you think the Petes will acquire with just picks?

Do you think Oke will feel some pressure to trade at least one young player to give the Petes a fighting chance at an OHL championship, given all of the 2000's they have?
id say he'd have to be willing to part with avon and possibly one of spearing or butler possibly sda for a huge payback ..i i feel sda will be back next year...plus empty the cupboards of picks to be a top contender..to me mctavish is not even a discussion

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
when that window is open youve gotta smash right through it or whats youre end goal??? for a participation ribbon or try to win it all?? id rather go for it and lose then go half ass and sit and stew what could have been! i commend niagara for going for it. Petes may also lose Wilson next year to pro thats his goal of course, you never know,gotta go for it now!!!!

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
id say he'd have to be willing to part with avon and possibly one of spearing or butler possibly sda for a huge payback ..i i feel sda will be back next year...plus empty the cupboards of picks to be a top contender..to me mctavish is not even a discussion

Petes need to take advantage of having 2 2003 born 1st rounders. They can keep McTavish who is already producing and is amazing, and Avon can return a "big fish".

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016

So just kind of half ass take a kick at the can this year and hope we have a better team next year when we lose our starting goalie and replace him with a guy who sports 5.30 goals against average, lose our top point producing defenseman, two overage defensemen, our captain, potentially our top line center and our top import, and hope a guy like Coe or MacKay push us over the edge?

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
So just kind of half ass take a kick at the can this year and hope we have a better team next year when we lose our starting goalie and replace him with a guy who sports 5.30 goals against average, lose our top point producing defenseman, two overage defensemen, our captain, potentially our top line center and our top import, and hope a guy like Coe or MacKay push us over the edge?

Agree - go for it when you have the chance. Players mentioned will not push anyone over the edge

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

Jones came into last year with a 5.14 GAA and people were worried but he turned out ok and I'm not saying Austin will be Jones but the kid really hasn't had that much of a chance yet. Honestly how does anyone really know what player will put who over the top? Maybe pairing Coe or MacKay with some of our top players will take them to another level. Maybe I'm the only one here that doesn't want the farm and have a mediocre team for the next five years.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Every year multiple teams go all in hopes of a championship run. Two, three, four, teams or whatever. But only one team can win it all.

Pointing at Niagara last year calling that model a failure when Guelph did the same and had success doesn’t really wash.

Guelph didn't trade their first rounder and was basically given Suzuki and Durzi for nothing. They also had the benefits of the stupid Merkley trade.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The last two OHL Champions went for it. Compare to the last 2 finalists.

2018-2019 GUE Additions: Hanley (98), Commisso (98), Gogolev (00), Entwistle (99), Phillips (99), Gordeev (99), Durzi (98), Suzuki (99), Roberts (99)
2018-2019 GUE Deletions: Golovatchev (01), Aguanno (01), Primeau (01), Merkley (00), Bertuzzi (01), Kirwin (00), Poirier (98), Woolley (01)

2018-2019 OTT Additions: Sirman (99), DiPietro (99), Maksimovich (98), Chiodo (98)
2018-2019 OTT Deletions: Robertson (00), Afansyev (01), Swankler (01), Boomhower (98)

2017-2018 HAM Additions: Landry (99), Caamano (98), Moore (97), Stillman (98), Thomas (99), Mattinen (98), Gravelle (00)
2017-2018 HAM Deletions: Kutkevicious (98), Candella (98), Ceci (98), Roberts (00), McMichael (01), McCourt (00), Webb (00)

2017-2018 SSM Additions: Raddysh (98), Sambrook (98), Tammela (97)
2017-2018 SSM Deletions: Fowler (01)

Reactions: Diaero

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Jones came into last year with a 5.14 GAA and people were worried but he turned out ok and I'm not saying Austin will be Jones but the kid really hasn't had that much of a chance yet. Honestly how does anyone really know what player will put who over the top? Maybe pairing Coe or MacKay with some of our top players will take them to another level. Maybe I'm the only one here that doesn't want the farm and have a mediocre team for the next five years.[/QUOTE

It would take Butler to acquire Coe. That does not do the Petes much good. Maybe McKay is available. He could help the Petes be competitive in round two. Consistently upper mediocre would be ok I guess, it’s a fairly common sentiment.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
How important to do you think being 1st in the East vs 3rd in the East is?

We're going to lose Jones for sure and maybe Robertson/Chisholm/SDA for a month at WJ. Afraid Ottawa will pull away from us in that month and we finish 3rd. That would mean on the road in round 2 @ SBY and then would be on the road round 3 @ OTT. I dont love that in a year where you need to win

Only way to combat that is go get a stopgap or two. Preferably a goalie (Langevin?) and one of the F's you're trying to get at the deadline, pay a little extra and get him a month early. Hillis or McShane or someone like that who wont make Canada WJ but is an elite player

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Maybe apply to be the Petes GM when before they offer Oke an extension. Apparently you have connections with Stan and a crystal ball to see into the future.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Jones came into last year with a 5.14 GAA and people were worried but he turned out ok and I'm not saying Austin will be Jones but the kid really hasn't had that much of a chance yet. Honestly how does anyone really know what player will put who over the top? Maybe pairing Coe or MacKay with some of our top players will take them to another level. Maybe I'm the only one here that doesn't want the farm and have a mediocre team for the next five years.

I get where your coming from but bringing in second tier guyscat deadline won’t ever win it for you especially when the teams you’ll face to win it bring in studs. Wuelph brought in 3 players from the world juniors last year you think we can compete with that as is or bringing in the cheap players. No. And yah have some picks and players next cpl years to again not win. I enjoy playoff hockey every year but I want to taste a championship we deserve it. Going all out this year we still have this years draft class that will be a great team in a cpl years and the cupboards will get refilled next year by trading one maybe two guys

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I get where your coming from but bringing in second tier guyscat deadline won’t ever win it for you especially when the teams you’ll face to win it bring in studs. Wuelph brought in 3 players from the world juniors last year you think we can compete with that as is or bringing in the cheap players. No. And yah have some picks and players next cpl years to again not win. I enjoy playoff hockey every year but I want to taste a championship we deserve it. Going all out this year we still have this years draft class that will be a great team in a cpl years and the cupboards will get refilled next year by trading one maybe two guys

It doesnt have to be one or the other. Just going and doing Avon for Thomas wont win it for you either. You need to get a stud(s) and also get 2nd tier guys. So why not pay a little more and get the 2nd tier guy a month early so you can still win games while your stars are gone at WJ?

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
"Those clowns" being Sudbury or Ottawa? Or are you saying both?

I think we're considerably better than Sudbury right now. Ottawa scares me though

I'm just joking. Both teams are a serious threat but I think we can take both of them in a 7 game series.

Sudbury is pretty inconsistent and if Byfield isnt carrying them, they dont go anywhere. And we've been the thorn in Ottawas side recently, they have more skill but we have more grit and that always gets them off their gameplan. The Felhaber effect.

Ottawa is like the monster under the bed. Once you shine a light on it and expose it, they're not that scary anymore. We should be 3-0 against them this season. Played a bad matinee game where they got the OT win.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
"Those clowns" being Sudbury or Ottawa? Or are you saying both?

I think we're considerably better than Sudbury right now. Ottawa scares me though
Wolves Goaltending will be their downfall and I don’t think Ottawa has a strong back up goalie that can pull his weight -yet. Still young like Austin and they both need patience and games.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Wolves Goaltending will be their downfall and I don’t think Ottawa has a strong back up goalie that can pull his weight -yet. Still young like Austin and they both need patience and games.

They dont really need a backup though. Andree wont be on WJ so he'll start all the big games all year and every plyaoff game (barring injury)

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
It doesnt have to be one or the other. Just going and doing Avon for Thomas wont win it for you either. You need to get a stud(s) and also get 2nd tier guys. So why not pay a little more and get the 2nd tier guy a month early so you can still win games while your stars are gone at WJ?

By all means yes go get a guy before then but that rarely happens everyone waits to get as much as they can close to deadline but as
Guy or guys away a juniors its7-8 games missed the team can go .500 in the span We are talking about loading up for the playoff run No half measures your all in or your in the way if your not going all in than don’t make any moves or waste any assets cause with the way this team is built it’s eastern conference champs or bust

Reactions: dirty12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad