Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
He reminds me of a young Johnny ang all that speed but needs to learn how to control it. His game can’t keep up with his feet

Great game by al the kids Wilson had them taking some key offensive zone faces Robertson taking draws with grondin on the ice was nice to see in a gane we were winning.

Did I miss it on here where is spearing? Hurt? Jpj looked awful last night on the back end

Reactions: NorthernVoice

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Spearing is hurt, wrist injury. JPJ didn't play after the first period. Examiner today says Wilson hopes Spearing and NRobertson can return this upcoming week.

Avon skates like Ang but to me is more engaged physically (and maybe a bit behind Ang as a 16 year old in terms of scoring).

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Kitchener had no real answer for the physical play of the Petes. Grondin, Little and Gallant were beasts and the rest of the team just followed their lead. They are not blowing anyone out, but they keep rolling along and the young guys are not stuck together on the 4th line, they are spread out across the lines.......this is great for their development.

I feel bad for JPJ. I'm sure he enjoys playing forward more than defense. Prior to his recent stint on defense he was very effective as a winger IMO. He's a great team guy, willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win.

A much more confident Avon in recent games. I agree with NV. Avon has Ang's speed and is behind offensively compared to Ang as a 16yo, but he doesn't shy away from the physical play and is more responsible defensively.

5 of 6 points this weekend with a 3 in 3 coming up this week
  • NB at home
  • HAM away
  • ERIE away
I'm guessing Austin plays Thursday and Jones gets Friday & Saturday.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Kitchener had no real answer for the physical play of the Petes. Grondin, Little and Gallant were beasts and the rest of the team just followed their lead. They are not blowing anyone out, but they keep rolling along and the young guys are not stuck together on the 4th line, they are spread out across the lines.......this is great for their development.

I feel bad for JPJ. I'm sure he enjoys playing forward more than defense. Prior to his recent stint on defense he was very effective as a winger IMO. He's a great team guy, willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win.

A much more confident Avon in recent games. I agree with NV. Avon has Ang's speed and is behind offensively compared to Ang as a 16yo, but he doesn't shy away from the physical play and is more responsible defensively.

5 of 6 points this weekend with a 3 in 3 coming up this week
  • NB at home
  • HAM away
  • ERIE away
I'm guessing Austin plays Thursday and Jones gets Friday & Saturday.

I totally agree with you -JPJ will do anything to help this team.
I felt badly for him last night as well.
I sit really close to the bench but I never saw any of the coaches talking him to him so I am not sure what happened.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
It's real refreshing to see the young guys succeed out of the gate compared to our half decade of misery with Hull only relying on 18, 19 and 20 year olds.

I'm a Canucks fan, so the Petes roll an almost identical powerplay where they feed the left-handed point shot one-timer. Hull never would have had a rookie, and he had lots of rookies drafted as high as McTavish on his team, he would never give a rookie that opportunity to be the go-to guy on the PP. Mind you Robertson will take that spot back when he's good to go.

Gotta think any kind of negative thoughts McTavish thought about his development in Peterborough is out the window. We're putting him in such a good position he might actually be a top 5 NHL pick.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Getting rookies involved when it’s a good time for the team and player is great. I don’t think it’s a necessity for development to force fit ice time though. 16 yr olds getting into the line up let alone a regular shift is more an exception than a rule for London, at least. They develop fine.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
10 games left till Xmas break 2 vs Kingston 2 vs Oshawa 2 vs Hamilton 1 vs north bay London niagara Erie 6 at home 4 on the road. I realistically think we can go 7-3 if not better robbie and spearing would go a long way to help that happen would love to take the two vs Oshawa would help shape up standings going into trade deadline

Reactions: Bra Wavers

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Getting rookies involved when it’s a good time for the team and player is great. I don’t think it’s a necessity for development to force fit ice time though. 16 yr olds getting into the line up let alone a regular shift is more an exception than a rule for London, at least. They develop fine.

develop? london? how about lucas rowe, billy moskal ryan bangs panwar?? all high picks not developed if they cant play right away theyre gone. They pad their lineup with US kids in 3 and 4th rounds that tell other teams not to bother picking them as theyre going ncaa...not saying theyre not powerful from doing it but they dont develop at all and their drafting if you actually look at their ontario picks its not pretty..subtract the highend europeans and US picks that are both politically motivated not great drafting to me

2018 picks Rolofs 1st round 5 games played 0 points.....2nd round pick McCue 10 games 1 pt.....15 games between your top 2 picks on a team that is middle of pack. not development to me... 2017 2nd round US pick Panwar in 26gms last year had 8pts this year in 19 games has 0pts . 2016 2nd round pick Moskal played 13 games rookie year 2pts this year 21games 6pts as a 19yr old

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
develop? london? how about lucas rowe, billy moskal ryan bangs panwar?? all high picks not developed if they cant play right away theyre gone. They pad their lineup with US kids in 3 and 4th rounds that tell other teams not to bother picking them as theyre going ncaa...not saying theyre not powerful from doing it but they dont develop at all and their drafting if you actually look at their ontario picks its not pretty..subtract the highend europeans and US picks that are both politically motivated not great drafting to me

2018 picks Rolofs 1st round 5 games played 0 points.....2nd round pick McCue 10 games 1 pt.....15 games between your top 2 picks on a team that is middle of pack. not development to me... 2017 2nd round US pick Panwar in 26gms last year had 8pts this year in 19 games has 0pts . 2016 2nd round pick Moskal played 13 games rookie year 2pts this year 21games 6pts as a 19yr old

Evangelista did not play as a 16 yr old, he’s fine. Stranges played 4th line, he’s an (A prospect?). Monetary strength does not take away from the fact London is the top producer of NHL prospects.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
as i said antonio stranges was a 1st round pick or should have been but was committed to Michigan and told teams not to draft him so he went in the 2nd allowing london to not have to use their 1st round on him selecting evangelista as well...stranges was the top rated US player by scout.ca for what its worth not a 2nd rounder..with all due respect you will never convince me london is good for a young player unless they are a superstar. Monetary strength does take away that london is a top producer for me as it enables them to obtain highend players others cannot thus not having to develop. Address all the others i listed that didnt develop under the london recipe that were picked very high either its bad drafting or bad development because they were all good in minor midget. I agree they are a powerhouse franchise no question but it is very difficult for any player to break into their lineup other than highend talent so for me that screams they arent into development. How many late picks end up in their lineup? They dont need them imo as they supplement with later picks with US decommits and fantastic europeans. Not saying its wrong just wont ever believe they are good at development of young players. If you said they are the best at convincing top end talent to come to their team then id agree they are the absolute best at it in junior hockey with the Kelowna Rockets in 2nd.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Evangelista did not play as a 16 yr old, he’s fine. Stranges played 4th line, he’s an (A prospect?). Monetary strength does not take away from the fact London is the top producer of NHL prospects.
so you think thats the way to a good development of 16yr olds is to not play them? evangelista would have been a star rookie on most other teams in his rookie year and i know scouts that cringed that he wasnt playing but he is doing well despite sitting last year...haha cmon you dont really believe that dirty12..Petes had that in another coach

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
as i said antonio stranges was a 1st round pick or should have been but was committed to Michigan and told teams not to draft him so he went in the 2nd allowing london to not have to use their 1st round on him selecting evangelista as well...stranges was the top rated US player by scout.ca for what its worth not a 2nd rounder..with all due respect you will never convince me london is good for a young player unless they are a superstar. Monetary strength does take away that london is a top producer for me as it enables them to obtain highend players others cannot thus not having to develop. Address all the others i listed that didnt develop under the london recipe that were picked very high either its bad drafting or bad development because they were all good in minor midget. I agree they are a powerhouse franchise no question but it is very difficult for any player to break into their lineup other than highend talent so for me that screams they arent into development. How many late picks end up in their lineup? They dont need them imo as they supplement with later picks with US decommits and fantastic europeans. Not saying its wrong just wont ever believe they are good at development of young players. If you said they are the best at convincing top end talent to come to their team then id agree they are the absolute best at it in junior hockey with the Kelowna Rockets in 2nd.
Bang on. London is a premiere destination for top end talent.As far as development, I agree they do not have to do that much because of their huge talent base. On the other hand, our Hounds must be up there for development. Frost, Timmins fourth round OHL picks. Frost first round NHL , Timmins first pick second round NHL. Leguerriere, 8th round OHL pick, 5th round NHL. This year Kartye, Kierins, McKay, and Dickinson as mid round picks or free agent 17 and 18 year olds are having real good years. Even though we have struggled , the kids are improving and developing. With Kyle Dubas and Kyke Raftis and their coaching staffs we have been fortunate to see kids improve and provide good entertainment. I am happy to see Pete's fans have something to cheer about the last couple years as well. Good luck to our teams the rest of the season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Every kid wants to go to London because they are professionally run and produce pros without any long dry spells over the past 15 years.

Last edited:

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Every kid wants to go to London because they are professionally run and produce pros without any long dry spells over the past 15 years.

You're not understanding what everyone is saying... The only reason London produces pros and doesn't have long dry spells is because of the high end talent from the USA that no other team has a chance at and would normally be high draft picks, not because they draft and develop Ontario kids.

Reactions: MoWanchuk1

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
You're not understanding what everyone is saying... The only reason London produces pros and doesn't have long dry spells is because of the high end talent from the USA that no other team has a chance at and would normally be high draft picks, not because they draft and develop Ontario kids.
See: Mitch Marner

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
See: Mitch Marner

Your point? Any team would've had the same result and he was a first round pick. If you don't understand what everyone else has said then go actually look for yourself. Beyond their first round picks there hasn't been many players developed from the later rounds other than the US players that would normally be first round talent. Robert Thomas and Alex Forementon are the only non first round picks from Ontario that have turned pro.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Spearing is hurt, wrist injury. JPJ didn't play after the first period. Examiner today says Wilson hopes Spearing and NRobertson can return this upcoming week.

Avon skates like Ang but to me is more engaged physically (and maybe a bit behind Ang as a 16 year old in terms of scoring).

JR Avon actually has more points with 1 goal and 4 assists than Jonathan Ang did with only had 1 goal and 0 assists at this point in the season (19 games each played) and Ang scored his first goal in his 19th game.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I don't quite understand this London bashing for not developing late round picks. Let's lay out a few givens:
1) every team needs on average about 6 players per birth year to build a roster.
2) There is only a certain amount of ice time to go around.
3) London continues to get NCAA decommits (both drafted players and free agents).

If I was still hanging around in the late rounds of the draft, it's true I would want London to skip me so I could go to somewhere like Erie or the Soo where I might have a chance to make the roster. But that's just the reality of the situation.

If 8th round selection Christian Dvorak decides to come, then guess what? Another young player is sitting and probably gets traded. Might even be a fairly high pick that sits. That's the reality of limited ice time. Does that mean London didn't do their job to develop that player? Or does it mean that they aren't good enough to play there and need to go somewhere else where they can get ice time?

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Your point? Any team would've had the same result and he was a first round pick. If you don't understand what everyone else has said then go actually look for yourself. Beyond their first round picks there hasn't been many players developed from the later rounds other than the US players that would normally be first round talent. Robert Thomas and Alex Forementon are the only non first round picks from Ontario that have turned pro.

Do your homework before hitting the keyboard
Lol I was backing your point up with that reference. Take a breathe man, it's just a hockey forum

Reactions: MoWanchuk1

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

"Produce" is the word being debated. Folks are saying that those players go to London, they don't BECOME pros because of London's development.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I don't quite understand this London bashing for not developing late round picks. Let's lay out a few givens:
1) every team needs on average about 6 players per birth year to build a roster.
2) There is only a certain amount of ice time to go around.
3) London continues to get NCAA decommits (both drafted players and free agents).

If I was still hanging around in the late rounds of the draft, it's true I would want London to skip me so I could go to somewhere like Erie or the Soo where I might have a chance to make the roster. But that's just the reality of the situation.

If 8th round selection Christian Dvorak decides to come, then guess what? Another young player is sitting and probably gets traded. Might even be a fairly high pick that sits. That's the reality of limited ice time. Does that mean London didn't do their job to develop that player? Or does it mean that they aren't good enough to play there and need to go somewhere else where they can get ice time?
Yes that’s exactly what that means. A 1st round pick sitting most of year then bumped by an 8th round USNDP decommit isn’t development hahaha geez

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yes that’s exactly what that means. A 1st round pick sitting most of year then bumped by an 8th round USNDP decommit isn’t development hahaha geez
But other teams still draft these guys too. Just because the USNDTP player doesn't decommit to play in the Soo or Peterborough suddenly allows our franchises to take the high road here? I don't think so. Our GMs wouldn't blink twice doing the same thing given the opportunity. Sounds more like sour grapes than anything.

Reactions: dirty12

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
London is the New York Yankees of the OHL. If they lose a game, it's always funny to read their message board. They want to blow it up. Fire every one. Trade every one. That fan base could never handle the shit we've been through.

I think the fact they've only won one Memorial Cup in the last decade is proof that there are hockey gods out there making sure the scales are balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia