Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Let's not put all the blame on a 17 year old kid who has really not been given much opportunity here. Having said that I have said previously if the Petes plan to go anywhere they need an experienced OHL goalie to back up Jones, I don't know where this leaves Austin. The only two Petes that were noticeable in a good way last night were Gallant and Chisholm who are consistent game after game. As well we are not going to win every game and let's give Kingston credit they are a much improved team. A few losses now might not be a bad thing and it also will make management more ware of what needs to be added.

But he really has. He's had games against two tough teams, Sudbury and Windsor. In both games the Petes put up 6 goals and he let in 8. I don't know if he has terrible nerves to begin games or what but lets in early goals in 4 of the 7 starts:

Sudbury game - 1-0 33 seconds in and 2-0 3:24
Sarnia game - 1-0 1:59 in and 2-0 4:37 in
Kingston game Nov 8 1-0 27 seconds in
Kingston game Dec 6 1-0 43 seconds in.

Maybe getting him into games with an affiliate team might be best, but things might get ugly over the next month if no moves are made.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
BUG options
Kooy (SAR) (2000) 4.52 GAA 0.869 S%
Sarnia has 3 goalies and wouldn’t need/want Austin in return

Murphy (Erie) (2000) 3.09 GAA 0.905 S%
Other goalie is a 2002 like Austin, so they may not be interested

Edmonds (MIS) (2000) 3.33 GAA 0.893 S%
Other goalie is a 2002 like Austin, so they may not be interested

Ingham (KIT) (2000) 3.14 GAA 0.911 S%
likely too costly for a “back up”

What do you think?

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I guess it's an affirmative for a Kirk injury. Hope it's not very long term, he's been incredible all year

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
were going to miss Kirky playing so well, shame and poor timing with world juniors just around the corner perhaps losing Nicky and Hunter

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Sure seemed like the refs wanted to be the stars last night. Man, it's tough to watch a game when they're calling something every couple of minutes. It just ruins the game. At least they got the win.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
It would be great if the team that showed up against London showed up every night, but this is junior hockey.

These are the dog days of the season.

They just finished their second of three consecutive 3 in 3's.....that's a real grind. 4 out of 6 points this weekend isn't bad.

Hoping for at least 4 out of 6 against Hamilton, Oshawa and Niagara next weekend, but it will be tough with Jones, Maier and Robertson gone and Kirk possibly out with an injury.

The forwards especially will be auditioning for their spot in the depth chart after the trade deadline.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Ptbo Examiner:
Petes prospects showcased
"Petes third-string goalie Michael Simpson was named most valuable player of the OMHA Midget Showcase Game in Oakville on Saturday. Simpson played 30 minutes of shutout hockey to backstop Team ETA to a 3-2 win over Team SCTA."

With Simpson as back-up next week we'll get a chance to see him maybe play his way on to the team? Suraely Oke is also looking around for a goalie. It has been many years since the Petes sat at the top of OHL in December.

The fight at the end of the game - any suspensions? Gallant was pounding on Frasca pretty good. We had all three of our big overagers on the ice plus Jones throwing Kingston guys around. SDA was pinned by Wisdom. I was hoping to Kingston's fans reaction but they don't appear to be on hfboards much at all.. Weird.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Ptbo Examiner:
"Petes third-string goalie Michael Simpson was named most valuable player of the OMHA Midget Showcase Game in Oakville on Saturday. Simpson played 30 minutes of shutout hockey to backstop Team ETA to a 3-2 win over Team SCTA."

With Simpson as back-up next week we'll get a chance to see him maybe play his way on to the team? Suraely Oke is also looking around for a goalie. It has been many years since the Petes sat at the top of OHL in December.

The fight at the end of the game - any suspensions? Gallant was pounding on Frasca pretty good. We had all three of our big overagers on the ice plus Jones throwing Kingston guys around. SDA was pinned by Wisdom. I was hoping to Kingston's fans reaction but they don't appear to be on hfboards much at all.. Weird.

I hope the Petes don’t get any suspensions... especially Gallant; he has been a beast recently and they will need him with guys away.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Ptbo Examiner:

Just to be clear I am a supporter of our Head Coach who has brought this team a long way in the short time that he has been here but I really have to question who he had on the ice in the last minute of last night's game protecting a two goal lead. I was at the game and had this thought prior to the mini brawl with seconds left in the game. The two players that in my mind should not have been on the ice were Robertson and SDA, two of our top offensive players. These guys are on when we are down a goal or two late in the game and rightfully so. Why not have Grondin, Little, or Butler or others whose job it is to handle the heavy going. This doesn't do anything positive to support team unity. The Grondin's of the team can understand why they don't get quality offensive ice time but defense? I know that no coach could anticipate what was going to happen in the way of fisticuffs but when it did happen Robertson got out of there quickly and that's what forced Hunter Jones to get involved. SDA ended up underneath a Frontenac as you would expect. The other part of this is the concern of an injury to these little offensive guys which would not be good and especially with Kirk out. How many fights does Gallant now have?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just to be clear I am a supporter of our Head Coach who has brought this team a long way in the short time that he has been here but I really have to question who he had on the ice in the last minute of last night's game protecting a two goal lead. I was at the game and had this thought prior to the mini brawl with seconds left in the game. The two players that in my mind should not have been on the ice were Robertson and SDA, two of our top offensive players. These guys are on when we are down a goal or two late in the game and rightfully so. Why not have Grondin, Little, or Butler or others whose job it is to handle the heavy going. This doesn't do anything positive to support team unity. The Grondin's of the team can understand why they don't get quality offensive ice time but defense? I know that no coach could anticipate what was going to happen in the way of fisticuffs but when it did happen Robertson got out of there quickly and that's what forced Hunter Jones to get involved. SDA ended up underneath a Frontenac as you would expect. The other part of this is the concern of an injury to these little offensive guys which would not be good and especially with Kirk out. How many fights does Gallant now have?

tough call. With 7 secs and (last change) putting out Little, Grondin, Pauquette, Hudson, JPJ could cause coach to be questioned. Though I think that should be opening lineup vs Gens :)

Reactions: woodsy647

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
tough call. With 7 secs and (last change) putting out Little, Grondin, Pauquette, Hudson, JPJ could cause coach to be questioned. Though I think that should be opening lineup vs Gens :)

that was to answer who Foster had on the ice... at one point he had Brand, Baker, Pringle, Brahaney and one other on the ice for the last faceoff. Thankfully Baker and Brahaney got kicked out so nothing happened.

Reactions: dirty12

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
thankyou thankyou thankyou, said the exzactly same thing especially after last whistle #13 for Kingston skated across ice and tried to go after Nicky after whistle? What is Mr. Wilson doing?

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Gogolev 4th highest scoring left winger in league , leading scorer for Guelph imagine him in our lineup? Shame

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Some interesting prospects to keep an eye on -

Cole Patey(RW): 16 games played, 12 goals, 24 points (Major Midget) 1 game in OJHL with 1 goal

Josh Kavanagh(RD): 14 games played, 3 goals, 14 points (Major Midget)

Michael Simpson (G): 1.33GAA, 9 games played (Major Midget)

Riley Wood (LW): 28 games played, 10 goals, 22 points (GOJHL, Jr.B)

Nico Paone(RD): 28 games played, 5 goals, 12 points (GOJHL, Jr.B)

Jax Dubois(RW): 26 games played, 16 goals, 46 points (Major Midget)

Ellis Rickwood(C): 29 games played, 8 goals, 31 points (GOJHL, Jr.B)

Depending on the aftermath post trade deadline.... I think most of these players will wear the Maroon and White next season.

Reactions: Bra Wavers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad