Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
That is a very one sided trade proposal for the Petes.
Don’t take this the wrong way but I don’t think Pekar has as much value as you may hope. Imports don’t usually fetch much. Refer to the deal where Barrie acquired Sokolov or the Ruzicka last year. Based on those deals then this trade is really only missing a 2nd or 3rd going to Barrie.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Section7, Tucker alone would probably cost Butler+2 2nds+2 3rds. So in that trade, we'd be getting Pekar for free, which won't happen. As is the case with every year, value is determined by the market and there are several good teams who have an open import spot so you won't be getting a Pekar/Jenik type for close to free like is the case in some years

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Section7, Tucker alone would probably cost Butler+2 2nds+2 3rds. So in that trade, we'd be getting Pekar for free, which won't happen. As is the case with every year, value is determined by the market and there are several good teams who have an open import spot so you won't be getting a Pekar/Jenik type for close to free like is the case in some years

Exactly

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
I am open to seeing your version of this rumoured deal

You might get Tucker for that - or not even. At best you are expecting the 2 imports to be a straight up trade? Not realistic. There are teams that have room and would offer more than that for the Barrie import (Guelph, Saginaw, Sudbury, etc...).

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
OHL Insider is saying no trade clauses could be causing trouble for the Petes in making deals.
Is he referring to guys on other teams not wanting to come to the Petes? If so, I'd be interested to know why?

If you are a player who is a trade target and you have a no trade clause, you would use it to ensure that you go to a team that....
  • is ready for a long playoff run with a shot at an OHL championship (Petes?......CHECK)
  • has a number of offensively talented players that you would have an opportunity to play with (Petes?......SDA, Robertson, Kirk, Chisholm, McTavish, Gallant?.....CHECK)
  • has solid goaltending (Hunter Jones?.......CHECK)
  • has a good coaching staff (Wilson, Verner, Walser.....CHECK)
What issues would players have with the Petes at this point?
Maybe some agents have issues with the Petes from the past?

Someone should let these players know that post trade deadline the Petes have 18 home games and only 10 road games. Less time on the bus and none of these road games are up north or far west......that has to be appealing.

Is it possible that some young Petes players might be using their no trade clause?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
OHL Insider is saying no trade clauses could be causing trouble for the Petes in making deals.
Is he referring to guys on other teams not wanting to come to the Petes? If so, I'd be interested to know why?

If you are a player who is a trade target and you have a no trade clause, you would use it to ensure that you go to a team that....
  • is ready for a long playoff run with a shot at an OHL championship (Petes?......CHECK)
  • has a number of offensively talented players that you would have an opportunity to play with (Petes?......SDA, Robertson, Kirk, Chisholm, McTavish, Gallant?.....CHECK)

Someone should let these players know that post trade deadline the Petes have 18 home games and only 10 road games. Less time on the bus and none of these road games are up north or far west......that has to be appealing.

Is it possible that some young Petes players might be using their no trade clause?
As a young 16 yr old player would you really want to go to Niagara right now? They are going to be out of it for the next few years and GM and owners have a bad reputation.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Tucker may be best of limited 19 yr old LD options, but for a non-WJC caliber player, that would be a fleecing imo. Keane went for (Duhart?, 2nd) & *3rd, *2nd last season

Last edited:

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Yep - Reputation may not be the whole story but it makes parents and agents think before they leap.
Lol don’t believe everything you read from the Insider Niagara has a state of the art arena good education system and great fan support besides will not the Petes be in an rebuild next season.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Lol don’t believe everything you read from the Insider Niagara has a state of the art arena good education system and great fan support besides will not the Petes be in an rebuild next season.
It has nothing to do with the arena or the fans and everything to do with the owners. Anyway don't want to tie up the Petes thread with this so I will move on.

Reactions: dirty12

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Ummmmm the League proved their shady dealing lol what more proof do you need

Reactions: dirty12

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
So does all this talk mean that Thomas may go for a slightly reduced price?
If top teams trying to acquire him have young players unwilling to go then that means less teams in the market for him.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
You might get Tucker for that - or not even. At best you are expecting the 2 imports to be a straight up trade? Not realistic. There are teams that have room and would offer more than that for the Barrie import (Guelph, Saginaw, Sudbury, etc...).

Adam Ruzicka only got a 2nd and two 3rds and I'd say he's basically the same value as Pekar. Butler and two 2nds and two 3rds for just Tucker is an overpay in my opinion. Butler and two 2nds if really fair for Tucker and add some conditional picks for if he plays an OA year. If they're going to go all out then go after Thomas Harley and Jan Jenik.

Reactions: Finster8

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

You'd have to think it's more the Petes players blocking trades than the other way around. Avon being local may cause that and I don't think Oke would get the OK to deal McTavish. Dealing McTavish may do more harm than good to the organization.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I don't want to trade anybody.
I have bonded with this team and I haven't bonded with a Petes team since 2006-

Couldn't we just trade "picks" for a BUG?

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Tucker may be best of limited 19 yr old LD options, but for a non-WJC caliber player, that would be a fleecing imo. Keane went for (Duhart?, 2nd) & *3rd, *2nd last season

Except you’re completely leaving out the context that last year was an anomaly and almost every player except Studnicka went for far less than they normally do because of the market. Suzuki+Durzi, the top D and F in the league arguably, went for a shitty OA, a decent 2000, a decent 2001 and ONE 2nd, ONE 3rd, ONE 4th
Not to mention that this year there are potentially 12/20 teams who could be looking to buy, especially a player like Tucker who isn’t signed and is a late round pick so could be back next year, so probably 14/20 teams would want him either for this year or not (or both)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Except you’re completely leaving out the context that last year was an anomaly and almost every player except Studnicka went for far less than they normally do because of the market. Suzuki+Durzi, the top D and F in the league arguably, went for a ****ty OA, a decent 2000, a decent 2001 and ONE 2nd, ONE 3rd, ONE 4th
Not to mention that this year there are potentially 12/20 teams who could be looking to buy, especially a player like Tucker who isn’t signed and is a late round pick so could be back next year, so probably 14/20 teams would want him either for this year or not (or both)

DiPietro went for close to all-time high for goalie. OAs were not cheap. Entswhile (two parts) went for what he should have. Robertson went for what he should or more. Phillips was pricy. Ruzicka was right. Demeo was too costly ... Guelph got a sweet deal on Durzi/Suzuki because there was no one left to bid on the ‘package deal’

Last edited:

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017

They could trade picks for some small upgrades. I'm pretty surprised how willing people are to throw Butler, Spearing, Avon into trades.

I'm leery about some of the top guys mentioned too. Oshawa fans have ripped Noel for not looking interested all year but we're expected to think he'd be all in playing for the division rival when the deeper he goes in the playoffs, the less he can play for AHL Springfield?

I've made my thoughts on Hayton clear a number of times. I don't think being from here means anything to him and after so long in the NHL lifestyle, it would be quite an adjustment to square corners and PMC showers.

Reactions: Zebra

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
I hate armchair GMing what fair value for trades are.

I hate the idea of spending a boatload on Tucker when we already had a pointpergame defenseman but his attitude sucked. Tucker better be Mr Humble for us to dredge up sinking more cost into that area. If we're talking to Barrie, I like the idea of Pekar as we need more dynamic forwards, and as good as Maier has been, it's an area of strength. I'd target a guy like Matthew Hill with Pekar, over paying a bloody ransom for Tucker.

I don't think we should deal Spearing, I don't think we should deal Avon. Butler and picks is enough to open the doors we need opened.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

That’s nice and all... but this team as currently constructed isn’t winning a championship... don’t you want that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad