Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Just trade the kid and recoup a bunch of picks. Then get rid of Oke before he wastes them all. Use the picks to make a competitive team that Cuylle will have to play against for years. You don’t think Niagara enjoyed knocking out the Gens and Lessio for 2 years?

definitely need new blood in there

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Kitchener has a weak forward group heading into this season, but a strong D group returning.

Dealing Vallati to Oshawa for the picks and then dealing picks to the Petes for Cuylle makes so much sense.

It’s no coincident that Kitchener’s 2018 first round pick, Valade, was Cuylle’s line mate with the Marlies last year.

If u look at the strong group of 2000’s the Petes have, they should be competitive for the next few years and after trading Cuylle they will have two first round picks next year in the draft of 03’s

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Kitchener has a weak forward group heading into this season, but a strong D group returning.

Dealing Vallati to Oshawa for the picks and then dealing picks to the Petes for Cuylle makes so much sense.

It’s no coincident that Kitchener’s 2018 first round pick, Valade, was Cuylle’s line mate with the Marlies last year.

If u look at the strong group of 2000’s the Petes have, they should be competitive for the next few years and after trading Cuylle they will have two first round picks next year in the draft of 03’s
This was a ridiculous year for the Petes to draft a player who won't report. I think it can be a good strategy at times, namely when you're in a position to win and your first round pick is going to have a tough time cracking the lineup anyway, you kickstart your rebuild for after the big push by having two first round picks the year after you're all in.

To do it when your best player is a 17 year old is asinine. The #1 priority should have been players to build around Nick Robertson but instead they punt the best chance to add an elite player to go alongside him a year down the road.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Don't look now, but Niagara just traded a 2000 Dman (McPherson) for picks........to "make room" on their back end.

Does this open up the possibility of Matt Timms heading to the Ice Dogs?.........time will tell

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Don't look now, but Niagara just traded a 2000 Dman (McPherson) for picks........to "make room" on their back end.

Does this open up the possibility of Matt Timms heading to the Ice Dogs?.........time will tell

Or it could've been the new NHL drafted Euro D-man who they just signed that they were making room for. Or their 1st round pick in the latest OHL draft....

Roberts-Hunter
Bukac-Schaefer
Lleyton Moore(1st round pick)-Constintinou
Ham

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
if it happened to windsor, id ask what we did wrong and what we need to improve to get high end kids in our program, not take aim at the kid for not wanting to come. org needs to step and not accept mediocrity
Buddy lots of times it’s the player,parent or agent that just wants to go elsewhere and refuses to show to dictate where they want to go and has nothing to do with the team I don’t know the cuylles so I have no idea what the problem is....take McLeod, mete, domi all 3 wouldn’t report and all 3 had 1 destination in mind so it’s not as simple as you make it out to be

Reactions: Zebra

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
You were raised to let people take advantage of you and never stand up for yourself and look out for your best interest? Interesting parenting tactic....

Imagine being in grade 9 and knowing you could get this unbelievable job that would be great for you but you get a message from McDonald’s being like nope we own you and you have to come live in this random city for 4 years too! I’d hope you’d be like uhhh, no I’m going to do what’s best for me not what some random guy I’ve never met told me to do because he claims he owns me
The OHL and McDonald's are two very different jobs my friend, so, while I appreciate the effort, that comparison can't really be made. If this kid made the decision to pursue hockey as a career, then he needs to realize that he has to make some changes to his life and he can't call the shots, its not how that career works.

As for how I was raised, I was raised to be grateful for the opportunities I was given, and to be willing to play for a team that wanted my talents on it. Not to sit and bitch and moan because I didn't feel like playing there. It is a big difference from being taken advantage of, I'm sorry that you're having trouble understanding that, but it's not the case.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Buddy lots of times it’s the player,parent or agent that just wants to go elsewhere and refuses to show to dictate where they want to go and has nothing to do with the team I don’t know the cuylles so I have no idea what the problem is....take McLeod, mete, domi all 3 wouldn’t report and all 3 had 1 destination in mind so it’s not as simple as you make it out to be

years ago,no one would go to london or windor, new managemt and ownership and putting the work in and they are both desireable locations. look what Dubas did in the soo. petes haven’t had strong managemt since they let Twohey go.

Reactions: cub

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
years ago,no one would go to london or windor, new managemt and ownership and putting the work in and they are both desireable locations. look what Dubas did in the soo. petes haven’t had strong managemt since they let Twohey go.
I hear you yes.....there is some of that for sure but petes haven’t been bad last few years finals 2 yrs ago for east but I hear you

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
In the past 12 years the Petes have won a grand total of 3 playoff rounds. I don't know if that fact alone scares players away but it could be a reason.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
In the past 12 years the Petes have won a grand total of 3 playoff rounds. I don't know if that fact alone scares players away but it could be a reason.
In the last 5 yrs would you say that things may be heading in a more positive direction on the ice? The arena they can’t change other than the board sell to an ownership group and hope they don’t move them for the fans perspective which is a factor as well I’m quite sure.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I think they should set out to prove guys like cuylle wrong. take the picks you get for him and get a good player who's willing to come. You've got SDA, Gogolev, Robertson, Gallant, Chisholm, Osmanski, Cermak, Kirk, etc. which is a solid core and if you can add an elite guy you have a decent team for a couple of seasons as a lot of the guys above have 2 or more seasons in them

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
It’s a tough spot for sure.... because yes we get the comp pick at 5th overall next season, but what good does that even really do if we have to reach way down the draft board to get a guy to commit anyways?

I agree with No1, yes the defected player strategy can be a great rebuilding tool when used properly - at the right time. This was not it. I would have just preferred they selected Foudy (like they were going to) or Moore.

Reactions: i luvallsports

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
The OHL and McDonald's are two very different jobs my friend, so, while I appreciate the effort, that comparison can't really be made. If this kid made the decision to pursue hockey as a career, then he needs to realize that he has to make some changes to his life and he can't call the shots, its not how that career works.

As for how I was raised, I was raised to be grateful for the opportunities I was given, and to be willing to play for a team that wanted my talents on it. Not to sit and ***** and moan because I didn't feel like playing there. It is a big difference from being taken advantage of, I'm sorry that you're having trouble understanding that, but it's not the case.
It doesn't sound like the kid is doing that ....

Will Cuylle@willcuylle

Happy to announce my commitment to play D1 hockey for Penn State University. Thank you to my parents, teammates, coaches and all who have helped me get to this point. #weare
6:09 PM - Jun 5, 2018

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
where have u been
I'm just saying it doesn't seem like the kid is doing this " Not to sit and ***** and moan because I didn't feel like playing there..... The only ones that are ***** and moaning are people who want the kid to go somewhere he doesn't want to go....The kid has other options and it sounds like he is happy...

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
I'm just saying it doesn't seem like the kid is doing this " Not to sit and ***** and moan because I didn't feel like playing there..... The only ones that are ***** and moaning are people who want the kid to go somewhere he doesn't want to go....The kid has other options and it sounds like he is happy...
Its the kid's life nobody else. This is not the NHL where loyalty is expected and and in a few exceptional instances that principle doesn't even apply to star players who didn't report. Its a negotiating tactic. Good for him

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Funny part is.... from everything I’ve heard.... it’s almost entirely the agent, not the kid that doesn’t want Petes.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Funny part is.... from everything I’ve heard.... it’s almost entirely the agent, not the kid that doesn’t want Petes.

He's with Orr Group isn't he? If so that is a major problem because they represent like all the good players.....

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
He's with Orr Group isn't he? If so that is a major problem because they represent like all the good players.....
BINGO! 2 agencies had the top 10 last year and made it quite clear what teams were out and who were in...tough for a draft team if you’re not on the list lol

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
I would say draft the best player they dont want to report let them sit our go play college. Thats the only way i see things changing ,if team don't cave to the agent our players

Reactions: PEPSIHEAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad