Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
This was a ridiculous year for the Petes to draft a player who won't report. I think it can be a good strategy at times, namely when you're in a position to win and your first round pick is going to have a tough time cracking the lineup anyway, you kickstart your rebuild for after the big push by having two first round picks the year after you're all in.

To do it when your best player is a 17 year old is asinine. The #1 priority should have been players to build around Nick Robertson but instead they punt the best chance to add an elite player to go alongside him a year down the road.

The other problem that is going forward that might be underrated with fans but not in the hockey circles is Don Barrie putting out that article

Will Cuylle should have to sit out Ontario Hockey League season if he doesn’t report to Peterborough Petes

This did some damage whether you agree with it or not. It didn't do any favors for Petes recruitment.

Now anytime a player is selected in the draft and is having 2nd thoughts (These players have options) is that player going to have to worry about local media putting out an article calling him entitled and what not? Might seam small to us but it's not.

The good news for the Petes is, deal him and move forward. I saw someone suggest earlier (maybe on an earlier thread) to not trade him and let him sit which would be idiotic.

Victor Mete told OS he wasn't going to report and they took him anyways. OS Traded him to London and in the 1st round the next season selected Nick Suzuki and Markus Phillips. OS opened up a 3 year window with that trade (And some solid drafting) Take the boat load of picks you are going to get and be smart about who you select in next years draft. Next years draft could be one of the most crucial drafts in Petes history if they hit on their own 1st round pick, the comp pick, depending on the picks you get for Cuylle, I imagine you would want a near 2nd rounder in the package.

Wish you guys the best moving forward. Can't wait to get back up to Peterborough for a game. Honestly it is my favorite arena in the league. Not the most comfortable but the HOF is cool. It's unique and met some great fans.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The other problem that is going forward that might be underrated with fans but not in the hockey circles is Don Barrie putting out that article

Will Cuylle should have to sit out Ontario Hockey League season if he doesn’t report to Peterborough Petes

This did some damage whether you agree with it or not. It didn't do any favors for Petes recruitment.

Now anytime a player is selected in the draft and is having 2nd thoughts (These players have options) is that player going to have to worry about local media putting out an article calling him entitled and what not? Might seam small to us but it's not.

The good news for the Petes is, deal him and move forward. I saw someone suggest earlier (maybe on an earlier thread) to not trade him and let him sit which would be idiotic.

Victor Mete told OS he wasn't going to report and they took him anyways. OS Traded him to London and in the 1st round the next season selected Nick Suzuki and Markus Phillips. OS opened up a 3 year window with that trade (And some solid drafting) Take the boat load of picks you are going to get and be smart about who you select in next years draft. Next years draft could be one of the most crucial drafts in Petes history if they hit on their own 1st round pick, the comp pick, depending on the picks you get for Cuylle, I imagine you would want a near 2nd rounder in the package.

Wish you guys the best moving forward. Can't wait to get back up to Peterborough for a game. Honestly it is my favorite arena in the league. Not the most comfortable but the HOF is cool. It's unique and met some great fans.

Don Barrie is the Damien Cox of the Peterborough Examiner.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

Yes it can change your team for sure but watch OS in the next few yrs I’m guessing they’re gonna be back to having reporting troubles again once these guys flow through and move on..on flip side look at Erie’s run because mcdavid actually reported to the team that drafted him!! Along comes strome and others who are attracted to playing with a super star and voila! A dynamo team....but now they’re lean and we’ll see how they do for drafting and building from bottom again. Sudbury has a chance if byfield turns out to be a super star to attract players to play with him and win a championship possibly same boat as Erie was prior to mcdavid..I applaud byfield in reporting to Sudbury. This is how the draft is suppose to work look at nhl Pitt rebounded twice with Mario then Sid remember when Mario went to Pitt they were bad lol....branch can stop it if he wants lots of ways to have rules in place to prevent it

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Yes it can change your team for sure but watch OS in the next few yrs I’m guessing they’re gonna be back to having reporting troubles again once these guys flow through and move on..on flip side look at Erie’s run because mcdavid actually reported to the team that drafted him!! Along comes strome and others who are attracted to playing with a super star and voila! A dynamo team....but now they’re lean and we’ll see how they do for drafting and building from bottom again. Sudbury has a chance if byfield turns out to be a super star to attract players to play with him and win a championship possibly same boat as Erie was prior to mcdavid..I applaud byfield in reporting to Sudbury. This is how the draft is suppose to work look at nhl Pitt rebounded twice with Mario then Sid remember when Mario went to Pitt they were bad lol....branch can stop it if he wants lots of ways to have rules in place to prevent it

McDavid committing was obviously huge but don't act like that alone is the reason they were great. Alex DeBrincat as an undrafted FA, Travis Dermott in the 9th round, Nick Betz in the 9th round, Jordan Sambrook in the 10th round, Devin Williams in the 5th round and Darren Raddysh in the 5th round.

That's 6 of their best players that they got all in the 5th round or later. That's an unbelievable job of drafting.

And to your last line of that post, what exactly do you think Branch could do? Because if his new rule is "I'm forcing 14/15 year old kids to go to cities that they don't want to live in/play in", you'll just see the NCAA, USHL and OJHL talent go through the roof because the OHL will lose a ton of players

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
This was a ridiculous year for the Petes to draft a player who won't report. I think it can be a good strategy at times, namely when you're in a position to win and your first round pick is going to have a tough time cracking the lineup anyway, you kickstart your rebuild for after the big push by having two first round picks the year after you're all in.

To do it when your best player is a 17 year old is asinine. The #1 priority should have been players to build around Nick Robertson but instead they punt the best chance to add an elite player to go alongside him a year down the road.

Many are calling Oke a bad manager for drafting Cuylle since he said he wasn’t coming, but take a look at the history of these situations….
  • Look at how strong Owen Sound is now since the Mete trade.
  • Look at the team Niagara has grown thanks to trading defected players: Lessio and Bateman.
  • Look at what Flint acquired in the MacLeod trade and how they are trending upward thanks to the great young talent they now have.
I feel that declaring Cuylle defected and trading him for picks (likely three 2nds and three 3rds ) as well as receiving the compensatory picks (5th and 42nd overall in the 2019 draft) will put the Petes in a strong position going forward, with players and picks.

With the strong group of 2000’s the Petes have, the 2019-2020 season will be a good year for the team to go for it.

With the small (weak) group of 99’s they presently have, they will need to target some prime 99’s to acquire as OA’s for the 2019-2020 season.

With this haul of players and picks, Oke would be in good position to acquire players who fill any needs the Petes may have, heading into the last half of that season.

Drafting Cuylle is a win for me…….either way.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Many are calling Oke a bad manager for drafting Cuylle since he said he wasn’t coming, but take a look at the history of these situations….
  • Look at how strong Owen Sound is now since the Mete trade.
  • Look at the team Niagara has grown thanks to trading defected players: Lessio and Bateman.
  • Look at what Flint acquired in the MacLeod trade and how they are trending upward thanks to the great young talent they now have.
I feel that declaring Cuylle defected and trading him for picks (likely three 2nds and three 3rds ) as well as receiving the compensatory picks (5th and 42nd overall in the 2019 draft) will put the Petes in a strong position going forward, with players and picks.

With the strong group of 2000’s the Petes have, the 2019-2020 season will be a good year for the team to go for it.

With the small (weak) group of 99’s they presently have, they will need to target some prime 99’s to acquire as OA’s for the 2019-2020 season.

With this haul of players and picks, Oke would be in good position to acquire players who fill any needs the Petes may have, heading into the last half of that season.

Drafting Cuylle is a win for me…….either way.

Are you sure they get 5 and 42? I thought it was just the 5th overall pick...

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Bra Wavers: Niagara also drafted Logan Brown knowing he would not report. They dealt him to Windsor for 6 picks including 3 seconds and 2 thirds.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Are you sure they get 5 and 42? I thought it was just the 5th overall pick...

Because Cuylle is a top 4 pick, the Petes would also receive a compensatory pick at the end of the 2nd round. I believe this is because they are losing a 3rd pick and gaining a 5th pick.

Same thing happened when Flint traded McLeod to Missy.

Reactions: TheCoach

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Because Cuylle is a top 4 pick, the Petes would also receive a compensatory pick at the end of the 2nd round. I believe this is because they are losing a 3rd pick and gaining a 5th pick.

Same thing happened when Flint traded McLeod to Missy.

Cool. So... we could end up with

5th overall comp pick
42nd overall comp pick
3 seconds + 3 thirds

That’s quite the haul. Still not the right team to do it.... but good nonetheless.

Reactions: NorthernVoice

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Cool. So... we could end up with

5th overall comp pick
42nd overall comp pick
3 seconds + 3 thirds

That’s quite the haul. Still not the right team to do it.... but good nonetheless.

2019 Petes Draft

5th overall
plus own 1st rounder which likely is a top 4 (Don't shoot me, just looking at the overall roster, its not very good sorry) will eat crow if proven wrong at seasons end

2nd Round pick from NB

Hopefully a 2nd in this draft in the Cuylle trade

42nd overall selection

and hopefully a 3rd in this draft acquired via trades somehow.

Could be the most important draft in petes history. Things might not look pretty now, but they will be soon! unreal.

Reactions: Finster8

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
McDavid committing was obviously huge but don't act like that alone is the reason they were great. Alex DeBrincat as an undrafted FA, Travis Dermott in the 9th round, Nick Betz in the 9th round, Jordan Sambrook in the 10th round, Devin Williams in the 5th round and Darren Raddysh in the 5th round.

That's 6 of their best players that they got all in the 5th round or later. That's an unbelievable job of drafting.

And to your last line of that post, what exactly do you think Branch could do? Because if his new rule is "I'm forcing 14/15 year old kids to go to cities that they don't want to live in/play in", you'll just see the NCAA, USHL and OJHL talent go through the roof because the OHL will lose a ton of players
Man you love it when I have a say don’t you...lol....uugghhh here goes...firstly my point was he reported to where he was drafted ! Erie Went from 26pts year before mcdavid 46pts rookie year to 106pts .. Strome reported as well hard not to when mcdavid was there as he made it clear he wouldn’t report to every team if he fell a bit..betz sambrook and debrincat all great picks/signings (and lots of teams were trying to sign debrincat not just Erie) and all came after the 106 pt season my point is once they got on a winning roll players came ..8yrs prior to mcdavid they missed playoffs 5 x’s amd lost 1 round 3 x’s...hey if they get right back there good for them but you can’t refute it all started by mcdavid reporting Is all I’m saying..petes can get all the picks in the world but if no one reports what good are they...and as far as a rule it was debated at governors meeting regarding agents dictating where players go, it’s an issue ...talked about a certain commitment date to ohl and if a player doesn’t report where he’s drafted he’s out for 1 1/2yrs so he comes back into league on their draft year so it’s a real issue that they are aware of and are at least discussing it it’s getting worse every year if you only want 4 competitive teams awesome if you want parity we need guys to report period...top players reporting to their drafted club will bring more fans more cash to team to develop rink assets etc

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
2019 Petes Draft

5th overall
plus own 1st rounder which likely is a top 4 (Don't shoot me, just looking at the overall roster, its not very good sorry) will eat crow if proven wrong at seasons end

2nd Round pick from NB

Hopefully a 2nd in this draft in the Cuylle trade

42nd overall selection

and hopefully a 3rd in this draft acquired via trades somehow.

Could be the most important draft in petes history. Things might not look pretty now, but they will be soon! unreal.

I’d be shocked if the Petes miss the playoffs again.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I’d be shocked if the Petes miss the playoffs again.

They wont this year. Kingston and Mississauga likely miss. Kingston for sure ( I feel for their fans lol)

I wouldn't be surprised if they did as well. Bottom 5-10 in the east has been very strange the last few seasons.

You have a very solid group of 2000's and 2001's. I think you will be fine this season.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
They wont this year. Kingston and Mississauga likely miss. Kingston for sure ( I feel for their fans lol)

I wouldn't be surprised if they did as well. Bottom 5-10 in the east has been very strange the last few seasons.

You have a very solid group of 2000's and 2001's. I think you will be fine this season.

Never know. Kingston will still have Vilardi and Jason Robertson until early January. Those two alone could carry a team to a playoff spot....

It very well could come down to which teams bad goalie is less bad between Jones and Bonello lol

Reactions: MoWanchuk1

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

pretty weird to be talking about mississauga and kingston missing playoffs in a conference with peterborough and sudbury. good to see them getting it together, nonetheless

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Never know. Kingston will still have Vilardi and Jason Robertson until early January. Those two alone could carry a team to a playoff spot....

It very well could come down to which teams bad goalie is less bad between Jones and Bonello lol
Vilardi will very likely be in LA.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
NorthernVoice: Good point about Kingston. They have only won 4 playoff rounds over the same 12 year period. Max Domi would not report and I am sure there were others.

As I stated, I do not know if this is the only factor players use not to report.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Brock’s Top 30 for 2019

#8 on list
8. Nick Robertson - Forward - Peterborough Petes
This is 2018 (soon to be 2019) where smaller offensive forwards are no longer punished for their lack of size so long as they are skilled enough. And Robertson is skilled enough. He also grew, listed at 5'9 at the Hlinka, a couple inches more than he was listed as a Pete last year. Important to note that he's one of the younger players available this coming year, so wouldn't be surprised to see him continue to hit a late growth spurt. Brother of Kingston's power winger Jason, Nick plays a different game. A game based on speed, energy, and puck creativity. Very slippery in the offensive end, as he darts in and out of traffic, using quick hands to keep defenders guessing. Robertson is also an effective player without the puck as he uses his speed to chase down loose pucks and is effective in the neutral zone looking to force turnovers. Not sure I expect the Petes to be a terrific team this year, but I do expect Robertson to emerge as an offensive force. On a team with Der-Arguchintsev, Gogolev, Hinz, Gallant, etc, don't be surprised if he's the leading scorer come March.

HM- Hunter Jones could move up if he’s able to take the #1 spot and run with it...didn’t get the games he should have last year IMO hoping he’s ready all the same!

IMO Cameron Supryka has potential to be on the list as well with a more involved role this year

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Brock’s Top 30 for 2019

#8 on list
8. Nick Robertson - Forward - Peterborough Petes
This is 2018 (soon to be 2019) where smaller offensive forwards are no longer punished for their lack of size so long as they are skilled enough. And Robertson is skilled enough. He also grew, listed at 5'9 at the Hlinka, a couple inches more than he was listed as a Pete last year. Important to note that he's one of the younger players available this coming year, so wouldn't be surprised to see him continue to hit a late growth spurt. Brother of Kingston's power winger Jason, Nick plays a different game. A game based on speed, energy, and puck creativity. Very slippery in the offensive end, as he darts in and out of traffic, using quick hands to keep defenders guessing. Robertson is also an effective player without the puck as he uses his speed to chase down loose pucks and is effective in the neutral zone looking to force turnovers. Not sure I expect the Petes to be a terrific team this year, but I do expect Robertson to emerge as an offensive force. On a team with Der-Arguchintsev, Gogolev, Hinz, Gallant, etc, don't be surprised if he's the leading scorer come March.

HM- Hunter Jones could move up if he’s able to take the #1 spot and run with it...didn’t get the games he should have last year IMO hoping he’s ready all the same!

IMO Cameron Supryka has potential to be on the list as well with a more involved role this year

If he’s able to grab the #1 spot? Who exactly is standing in the way of that?..... it’s his, ALL his.... for better or for worse.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
If he’s able to grab the #1 spot? Who exactly is standing in the way of that?..... it’s his, ALL his.... for better or for worse.

I think the key to his comment was "take the #1 spot and run with it"
Very few goalies step into the OHL and are awesome in their first year. Jones had some encouraging stretches at the end of last season. This year the key will be to aim for consistency and gain some confidence. If we see some positive growth in his game this year, IMHO, he could become a top goalie in this league.

patience young grasshopper

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I think the key to his comment was "take the #1 spot and run with it"
Very few goalies step into the OHL and are awesome in their first year. Jones had some encouraging stretches at the end of last season. This year the key will be to aim for consistency and gain some confidence. If we see some positive growth in his game this year, IMHO, he could become a top goalie in this league.

patience young grasshopper

A .866 save % goalie (who wasn't a true rookie) becoming a top goalie in this league? Dude, c'mon now..,

There's a better chance he's out of the league in 2 years than a top 5 goalie

And to the comment that he was encouraging at the end of last season, after Jan 1 last year he was an .848 save %. In just Feb+March last year (last 2 months of the season) he was a .855 save %. In just March (last month of the season) he was an .863 save %. Did we watch the same games?

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
A .866 save % goalie (who wasn't a true rookie) becoming a top goalie in this league? Dude, c'mon now..,

There's a better chance he's out of the league in 2 years than a top 5 goalie

And to the comment that he was encouraging at the end of last season, after Jan 1 last year he was an .848 save %. In just Feb+March last year (last 2 months of the season) he was a .855 save %. In just March (last month of the season) he was an .863 save %. Did we watch the same games?

To be fair.... he had one of the worst blue lines in all of the CHL in front of him last season.

Edit: the same blueline that will suit up for the team again this season.... :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille