Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
If this series goes back to Oshawa it will be a miracle. They looked scared to death of the Generals. Before period 2 when they switched ends a General bumped into Austin on his way to the net and then a couple Generals were down by Austin talking to him and skating around him while the Petes did nothing. Maybe not a big deal, but pretty indicative, it seems to me, of the confidence the Gens have against the Petes and the lack of any interest on the Petes part to push back.

I do hope someone on Oshawa will fight Merkley. I'm so sick of his act. But it looks like other players know he's a joke and not worth throwing punches at. He keeps asking for it, though, so hopefully someone gives it to him.

On the positive side, Kirk looked good tonight, Hutton got his first career goal and the PK still looked solid.
agree with all you said

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Do I just take my tickets that say game 1 of the playoffs to the game on Tuesday? Season ticket holder, not sure if I’m supposed to take those tickets to the box office

Reactions: PenaltyBoxPetesFan

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
You use the one from the book, don't need to go to the box office.

Okay cool, I'm pretty sure the one in my book says Playoff Game One, March 21st or something on it. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to go trade that in for one with an accurate date.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
It's hardly Merkley's fault we're so far behind the Generals talent wise. Kind of done having the same discussion over and over again, but "sending a message" by scratching your best player on home ice in the post-season is exactly the opposite a team desperate for star players to report and not request trades out of town should be doing.

Kirk is -5, should we send him a message too? How about we strip Gallant of the 'C', the team isn't showing a lot of pushback. Where's Fraser's physical play gone? He's looking nervous out there to touch the puck. How about a big save from Jones? Overager Timleck is looking invisible. This obsession with Merkley like he's the sole reason we lose games against better teams is going to drive this message board apart next season, because if things don't go right, straight out of the gate he's going to be the scapegoat for everything the entire Petes as a team do wrong.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Oshawa point of view here....... Merkley is a really good player who doesn't need to do some of the things he does out there. He is a great puck mover and can dangle, smooth passer and good skater. But he plays dirty. Always see him slash someone not looking at him or do stupid stuff after the whistle but turn and skate away when he gets a reaction. If you are going to play that way then step up to the plate. Oshawa is rolling three scoring lines and has stepped up their intensity which lacked at certain points of the year. I also think that Oshawa is just one of those teams that has the Petes number. I remember the year we won the Mem cup in 15 we couldn't beat Kingston all year it seemed.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
The Petes best chance was a physical heavy forechecking game wearing down Oshawa, forcing Mattinen/Gross turnovers etc, and that's out the window without Grondin and Butler. A bad matchup got worse.

The early goals against are killers too, the Petes were outplaying Oshawa early last night and had a 3-0 deficit to show for it.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
It's hardly Merkley's fault we're so far behind the Generals talent wise. Kind of done having the same discussion over and over again, but "sending a message" by scratching your best player on home ice in the post-season is exactly the opposite a team desperate for star players to report and not request trades out of town should be doing.

Kirk is -5, should we send him a message too? How about we strip Gallant of the 'C', the team isn't showing a lot of pushback. Where's Fraser's physical play gone? He's looking nervous out there to touch the puck. How about a big save from Jones? Overager Timleck is looking invisible. This obsession with Merkley like he's the sole reason we lose games against better teams is going to drive this message board apart next season, because if things don't go right, straight out of the gate he's going to be the scapegoat for everything the entire Petes as a team do wrong.

You make some very good points. Fraser has totally lost his mojo and hasn't been much of a presence for months. Not sure what happened there, but the team would sure benefit from his confidence. They could really use him in this series, because Oshawa don't seem the least bit intimidated by anyone on the Petes.

It is unfair to blame Merkley for all their troubles. And it's not fair to put all the spotlight on him, but as he is the most skilled player on the team, we watch for him more. I wish he would avoid the constant scrums that do nothing and the little things like holding on to other players sticks. There's no need and it doesn't seem to be getting under the opponents skin.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Anyone think they can play a more competitive game tomorrow night? Or maybe even win one at home? Eventually there has to be a game where Oshawa scores less than 6, right? (I think they've scored 12, 6, 6, 7 and 8 against the Petes the last 5 meetings).

It should be a big crowd tomorrow night and I know there will be a lot of Generals fans there. I just hope they don't get to cheer all night.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Anyone think they can play a more competitive game tomorrow night? Or maybe even win one at home? Eventually there has to be a game where Oshawa scores less than 6, right? (I think they've scored 12, 6, 6, 7 and 8 against the Petes the last 5 meetings).

It should be a big crowd tomorrow night and I know there will be a lot of Generals fans there. I just hope they don't get to cheer all night.

I agree with your thoughts on Fraser. He has always been a wild card but lately has been all over the place, terrible giveaways, not as physical as he once was, he gave the puck up on Oshawa's 5th and 6th goal yesterday. I think that he has totally lost his confidence and just can't play for Wilson. It looks like he is afraid to make a mistake and therefore makes more. Wilson has that weird system in their own end where the D in the corner instead of going up the boards and making the safe play often throw the puck in front of their own net and it is not working. Fraser appears to be very confused. Sometimes the coach/player relationship just doesn't work.

Can you imagine how this thread would be all over Hull if he was still the head coach and we had been outscored 15-2 in 2 playoff games.

Having said all of that if we get goaltending this series will be tied after Thursday's game.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

Don’t blame ya.

PenaltyBoxPetesFan

Jan 10, 2019
That's about what I was expecting. They have about six players that are better than any single Petes player.

Some bounces could have gone Peterborough's way, should have been a few goals in the first period. Hinz had an empty net and I don't know what happened. Did anyone catch our first powerplay where Merkley had to yell to the bench because we literally had three players on the ice for at least 5 seconds, and then another player jumps on the ice and for about another 5 seconds we only have four players on the ice. Kind of a head scratcher how that happens.

The game day experience in Oshawa blows Peterborough out of the water. It was more depressing seeing the atmosphere, the beautiful arena, how professional the whole thing looked. It rivals games I've seen at NHL arenas. The game was bad enough but just seeing first hand how far behind the PMC is and knowing how far we are away from ever getting a state-of-the-art arena that can compete with that just bummed me out.
Agreed. Was there Sunday night they gave away a PS4 and a psp. We just give away signed pucks and 10% off at the petes store what a joke

PenaltyBoxPetesFan

Jan 10, 2019
Little distasteful on Oshawa end last night with the whack a pete on the jumbo I thought. Thing could have been different. Hinz had a terrible play on the 5th goal letting the guy walk right in and shoot. Lay down block rush him do something don’t let him walk right in. Only highlight I took out of the game was Hutton scoring his first ohl goal. Oh yeah and like said up top the roast beef was delicious! Let’s just win at least one at home right?

Reactions: Zebra

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
For the last 10 years i have been saying here and on the old Petes Message Board that the Petes are cursed when it comes to Oshawa. Losing big forwards like Grondin and Butler right before the playoffs was terrible luck as these are the kind of players the Petes need to have a chance against the much better, bigger Generals. The fact that the chips fell so that the Petes end up playing Oshawa (with the best record in the O in the last 10 games) in a playoffs where the Petes had a chance to upset, just proves my point. Some other-worldy entity cast a curse on the Petes. That or the economics of junior hockey does not work for small centres like Peterborough.

Reactions: Petesfan8

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Bad luck yes. But also need to look at it as we just aren’t there yet to match these top talent teams we can play with them regular season games but when it matters look what’s happening I think butler and grondin would help but the result wouldn’t be much deifferent shows we have a long way to go. On paper it says will be a great team next year... yes on paper but just cause they turn 19 that makes them a better hockey player? No. we don’t have game changers we have some talent and your avg hockey players unless some elite talent is brought in to join markley and Robertson we will be another 4 5 6 seed with a tough first rnd exit Really hope we can muster a win here on home ice but it’s hard to see it happening

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Bad luck yes. But also need to look at it as we just aren’t there yet to match these top talent teams we can play with them regular season games but when it matters look what’s happening I think butler and grondin would help but the result wouldn’t be much deifferent shows we have a long way to go. On paper it says will be a great team next year... yes on paper but just cause they turn 19 that makes them a better hockey player? No. we don’t have game changers we have some talent and your avg hockey players unless some elite talent is brought in to join markley and Robertson we will be another 4 5 6 seed with a tough first rnd exit Really hope we can muster a win here on home ice but it’s hard to see it happening

Those players turning 19 will be in their 3rd & 4th year playing against a new crop of 16-17 yr old rookies & 3 max [current 19-20 yr olds (OSH currently has 12)]. So yes, the Petes will be much better simply because they will be loaded with 19 yr olds.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
There something wrong with the Oshawa fan base they hate us with a passion? They fill the rink when the Petes are in town, there big mouths are every where yelling insults all game long? their immature little video making fun of what is a Pete on Friday , then Sunday there video whack a Pete were tasteless, and rude,classless organization? Its one thing if there doing it to other teams but have never seen it only against Petes? Historic brawls, coaches fighting Petes player in hall ways, no wonder big bad Generals are so brave at home ?Even the front office group try to create hatred toward our fan base? Grow up!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zebra

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
There something wrong with the Oshawa fan base they hate us with a passion? They fill the rink when the Petes are in town, there big mouths are every where yelling insults all game long? their immature little video making fun of what is a Pete on Friday , then Sunday there video whack a Pete were tasteless, and rude,classless organization?

Relax. The videos were cheesy and probably entertained the kids in the crowd like they were aiming to. I remember the year after the Gennies won, the Petes did a bandwagon cam for any Gens fans in the crowd. It's just the game ops crew getting paid to do their job, entertain the crowd and fill in commercial breaks.

Reactions: Nerf27

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
There something wrong with the Oshawa fan base they hate us with a passion? They fill the rink when the Petes are in town, there big mouths are every where yelling insults all game long? their immature little video making fun of what is a Pete on Friday , then Sunday there video whack a Pete were tasteless, and rude,classless organization? Its one thing if there doing it to other teams but have never seen it only against Petes? Historic brawls, coaches fighting Petes player in hall ways, no wonder big bad Generals are so brave at home ?Even the front office group try to create hatred toward our fan base? Grow up!

I agree -it is done in very poor taste.

Apparently winning graciously is not an Oshawa trait-

It’s one thing to win -but to win like a loser is another thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad