Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Well that was a good effort and an entertaining game. Salinitri is just deadly with the puck on his stick, not sure why the Flyers didn't give him an ELC.

Probably deserved the 'W' tonight and had all the opportunity to take it, but couldn't. A bounce or two might have turned the tides but we got a bounce or two in Game 3 so you can't rely on that. We had two long 5-on-3's and only put up one goal. Our PK has looked really good, it's a shame that we're down 3-1 cause the series is just getting really interesting.

I like Noel a lot as a player, and I like that he never dives even though he's always dragging a defender or two with him on his back when he rushes, but I don't think I've ever seen a two minute penalty for kneeing. It's usually a game misconduct and from my vantage point I don't see how it wasn't on Noel. Kneeing that caused an injury, but only two minutes.

All in all if that's all we see at the PMC this year we were treated to 2 good games that the series openers in Oshawa made me think we wouldn't get. Petes battled hard, controlled the physical play, controlled the board battles, and put on a hell of a show. Good experience for everyone heading into next season.
Agree with most of this, Noel should have been kicked out, I'd still send the tape in for review/disciplinary action. I don't think of him as a dirty player either but that was late and on the knee of an unsuspecting player.

Petes were the more dominant team but Oshawa has goaltending and goal scorers that are superior to the Petes and that's the difference. Their defense gets exposed so easily but Keyser is always there to bail them out and then they are very opportunistic offensively. These aren't excuses though, that goaltending and goal scoring ability is from the talent they've put together.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Petes definitely played well enough to win that one. I'd actually say they deserved that win, but what can you do. I'd think it's slim odds the series will come back to Peterborough, but they played very well in both home games, at least.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I've probably missed this somewhere but why does Hutton still wear a full cage?

My guess is he’s just not comfortable without it yet? Because he is old enough to not have to wear it.

I believe it's because he is an affiliate player. He only played 10 regular season games. He is probably affiliated with a major midget team somewhere, and is on a different card (doesn't count towards the 30 card limit for the season).

It's not a birthday thing, since there are late birthday 16 year olds that don't wear it.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Agree with most of this, Noel should have been kicked out, I'd still send the tape in for review/disciplinary action. I don't think of him as a dirty player either but that was late and on the knee of an unsuspecting player.

Petes were the more dominant team but Oshawa has goaltending and goal scorers that are superior to the Petes and that's the difference. Their defense gets exposed so easily but Keyser is always there to bail them out and then they are very opportunistic offensively. These aren't excuses though, that goaltending and goal scoring ability is from the talent they've put together.
Exactly right, that’s been my assessment of Oshawa all year, no way they should have won this game. Petes did everything they could, damn PP really cost them. Feel bad for Kirk, one of my favourite Petes. Kind of cool a British hockey player.
Also if that was the Pilons or Fraser with the knee they would have likely been looking at a suspension.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Exactly right, that’s been my assessment of Oshawa all year, no way they should have won this game. Petes did everything they could, damn PP really cost them. Feel bad for Kirk, one of my favourite Petes. Kind of cool a British hockey player.
Also if that was the Pilons or Fraser with the knee they would have likely been looking at a suspension.

Like in real life, having a good reputation or a bad reputation affects how people treat you....

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I was one of the many thinking Hunter Jones could really come into his own this series and make a case that he'll be a top 3 goalie next year but man has he been disappointing. He was a couple big saves last night away from us going back to Oshawa 2-2. It obviously doesnt help things when hes going against a top 2 goalie at the other end but

Might not be not fair to ask him to stand on his head and win a game for the Petes, but every elite goalie does it and our only chance this series was for him to steal 2. The trap stole one. Now we need him to steal games 5/6 then anything can happen in a game 7....

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Like in real life, having a good reputation or a bad reputation affects how people treat you....
If thats a jab at me your'e being ridiculous and trying to argue again. You know nothing about me my repuration or character. Come spend some tine up northI I have been enjoying the series and wanted to talk hockey with some Petes fan but if you can"t move on and without having to jab Im out
t. I literally get along with just about everyone on here. Im trying to be cool but you make no sense sometines. An admirable quality is to be able to argue and even fight and not hold a petty grudge. Thats one quality of men.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Jones made some five bell alarm saves during the two games in Peterborough. He's the only reason we got a win, and was the only reason we were close to tying the series. We scored five goals in those two games, when Oshawa has given their goalie 22 goals in support. Jones has essentially played Game 3 and 4 like it was OT and the next goal wins/loses. Can't really ask for much more than that. He did what we thought he could do and that was steal a game for us. Look at the other scores around the playoffs and how many wins does 3 goals and 2 goals get you? What more do you want from an 18 year old, second year goalie? Jones is this season and post-season MVP.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Blaming Jones for the losses is as bad as blaming Merkley, who by the way was THE guy going up the bench, trying to rally the troops and going back to Jones' with taps on his pads when Oshawa went ahead 3-2 (on a goal he was no way responsible or even on the ice for) .

I am completely done on fans piling on this guy because, sometimes his body language isn't great? Maybe look at the dmen who actually made the errors that led to Gens goals.

Get the hell over it and recognize what he does for this team.

Oshawa has a dman who gives it away more, chirps after the whistle more and has 1/10th the talent Merkley has and I don't see their fans constantly burying him

Last edited:

Awagner3018

Sep 27, 2018
Blaming Jones for the losses is as bad as blaming Merkley, who by the way was THE guy going up the bench, trying to rally the troops and going back to rally Jones' with taps on his pads when Oshawa went ahead 3-2 (on a goal he was no way responsible or even on the ice for) .

I am completely done on fans piling on this guy because, sometimes his body language isn't great?

Get the hell over it and recognize what he does for this team.

Oshawa has a dman who gives it away more, chirps after the whistle more and has 1/10th the talent Merkley has and I don't see their fans constantly burying him

May not be the reason petes are losing. But he does have a well documented history of bad behavior. Being booted off benches mid game etc. We can all agree i think based on talent alone hes probably a 15 pick. But theres a reason he dropped.

Im also assuming your speaking about gross from oshawa ? Maybe not talented but doesnt take a shift off honestly probably better in the defensive end than merkley.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
The boys started the series a cpl games late now there in it let’s push it a cpl games longer!! I can’t make it to Oshawa tonight I sadly have to work but I’ll be listening bring this back to ptbo boys Sunday Funday at the Mem centre. LETS GO PETES!!!!!!

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
not sure how much is left in the tank for the Petes especially Paquette he's been terrific on faceoffs and leading the way with effort. Petes need a big game from Jones tonight if he's on it'll be close if Oshawa gets an early one again it'll be tough on the road. Fans deserve one more home game at least!!

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Great effort by the Petes again they we’re the better team 5 on 5 PP blew it for them it never improved the whole season. Jones was great. Thought Paquette was mvp of playoffs for Petes. Salinitri and keyser were the difference for the gens.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Please tell what time keyser dove im curious
Ahhh every time he was bumped layed out on the ice didn’t you see the players yelling at him haha diver ....excellent goalie though just trying to draw a pim even your announcers said he embellished the merkley bump cmon be honest I’ll admit merkley does it as well don’t like it at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad