Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Side note, but I just read Niagara was fined $250 000 and lost 2 first round picks for recruiting violations.

Improves our 2nd round picks.

Having traded Leyton Moore earlier, that means they won't have a 1st round pick in 3 of 4 drafts from '18-21. I'm sure they will get one for Akil Thomas at the deadline next year, but that hurts. Currently no 2nd round picks until 2026.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Improves our 2nd round picks.

Having traded Leyton Moore earlier, that means they won't have a 1st round pick in 3 of 4 drafts from '18-21. I'm sure they will get one for Akil Thomas at the deadline next year, but that hurts. Currently no 2nd round picks until 2026.

KGN pick is basically a first rounder now when Flint passes them.... NB pick would be 28 if the draft was today.... do you keep that pick or deal it for futures? Kind of hard to deal it for futures if the team continues to struggle....

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
KGN pick is basically a first rounder now when Flint passes them.... NB pick would be 28 if the draft was today.... do you keep that pick or deal it for futures? Kind of hard to deal it for futures if the team continues to struggle....

If Flint passes Kingston, it could help a forward slide to the Petes. I can't see Kingston passing on McTavish 2nd, so if they get the first pick, they pick Wright and hopefully McTavish says no to Flint. Wishful thinking.

At this point, I say keep it. Build depth around the 1st round picks. If things go well, the Petes will still have the players/picks available to buy. If things go bad the Petes can deal Merkley, SDA, Kirk, Jones, Gallant and build around the 4 players selected this year.

Reactions: Petes

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
That's definitely the downside to it, but Kingston is a long ways a way from being a team I'd be worried about even with Wright.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Has viewfromabove ever said anything positive about this team? Aside from about one particular player?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That's definitely the downside to it, but Kingston is a long ways a way from being a team I'd be worried about even with Wright.

It might not be a long ways away before Kingston is a good team. They have accumulated 2001 - 1st, 3-2nds, 3-3rds, 4th, 5th ... 9 - 19 yr olds in 2020-21.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Quality over quantity.

Their 2001 born forwards are mostly a bunch of guys that will barely crack 10 points.

Their top scoring 2002 born forward has 6 points.

Not worried about them.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Kingston's roster does not look good at the moment. They would have to make several moves to be competitive next season.

Barrie and Kingston are able to compete with the Petes at the moment because we don't have a hard working team. We won't again next season unless several major moves are made.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Quality over quantity.

A lot of high picks, picked by recently quality teams in Kingston, Guelph, Niagara, London, Oshawa. And generally, teams with with the most 19 yr olds win most.

Last edited:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
If Flint passes Kingston, it could help a forward slide to the Petes. I can't see Kingston passing on McTavish 2nd, so if they get the first pick, they pick Wright and hopefully McTavish says no to Flint. Wishful thinking.

At this point, I say keep it. Build depth around the 1st round picks. If things go well, the Petes will still have the players/picks available to buy. If things go bad the Petes can deal Merkley, SDA, Kirk, Jones, Gallant and build around the 4 players selected this year.
I think this will be the decision to be made leading to the deadline next season. I’m hoping the Petes aren’t stuck in limbo in the middle of the standings and not sure whether they should buy or sell.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Kingston's roster does not look good at the moment. They would have to make several moves to be competitive next season.

Barrie and Kingston are able to compete with the Petes at the moment because we don't have a hard working team. We won't again next season unless several major moves are made.
What are the major moves you would suggest?

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
What are the major moves you would suggest?
if i may be so bold to jump in on that one...i'd say d coach released and trade SDA either move for a 4th (all theyll get now) or beg sanjose to keep Merkley team is far worse off with him in lineup to start. I'd be keeping the 2 1sts to add to the likes of jones, robertson, butler, chisholm keep building. Oh and i see that Supryka has 9pts in last 15gms with 17 shots on net and a -7 but not good enough for Petes coaching??? couldnt play.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I wonder if Austin will start tonight. If they had won Thursday, I would think so, but now maybe Wilson will just keep going with Jones. They're due for a good game, so hopefully it comes tonight because Monday and Thursday will both be tough ones.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Most top picks will declare NCAA when Peterborough enters the conversation. And it’s amazing to me all these arm chair Gm’s ideas when all the talk has been about how this team is going for it next year. I’ve got news for you, good luck. Did anyone watch the last few games? The Petes have won 3 games this year. ThEy had the perfect opportunity to develop their 2000 born draft class and didn’t. They sent 9 players to the Ohl Gold cup that draft year and that didn’t include Gogalev or SDA. Had there been a plan in place to develop for the future this team was in good shape to be ready for next year. But here we are again wondering what the hell went wrong. Until this team is sold to private ownership it will be the same thing year after year. And by the reaction of some of the players on the bench and after the game on the ice last night this ship is sinking fast. I sure hope they can turn it around.
this is bang on to me watching this the drafting has been very good for a team that doesnt get any US or NCAA commits to report. I disagree with the trap style as for most part the forward group is a smaller skilled group robertson hinz sda timleck not trapping type players to me. i think there is something there with wilson though but their D has been dreadfully bad and a new D coach is a must in offseason. i like what wilson did with Butler but we lost Supryka as he was destroyed confidence wise and no way could play after they threw him aside now hes doing ok. The initial development of Gogolev was not done properly by hull then had to be moved as the coaches pushed for Merkely ive heard despite what others warned them trying to make a quick PP fix. To me not an Oke problem he is trying to get what his coaches want and that move will set the Petes back id say. when do you look in mirror and say we need a PP coach it isnt working? too much skill out there for them not to be decent on the PP.
Positive is the fact they have 2 1sts coming to them and 2 2nds in 2019. Stop, put the brakes on, dont trade anyone! build around these young players start winning games bring people back make it a good atmosphere in rink, show agents they can develop players then fans and drafted players will come....winning solves everything :thumbu:

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
I like how people cite Merkley coming over as when we started to go downhill, and not the Petes burning Jones out in the first half like we did with Wells a couple seasons ago.

Merkley is a + player in Peterborough, he's not the reason Jones is letting in 5 goals a game instead of the 2 he managed at the beginning of the season. We weren't some tight defensive unit before the Merk trade, we just got bailed out by A+ goaltending that we're not getting anymore. And I'm not even blaming Jones, a kid can only handle that workload so long before he burns out. He looks lethargic out there when at the start of the season he was electric. It's the Petes fault, they could have leaned on Austin more, who in my opinion has looked capable, or traded for an experienced back up.

If we didn't have Merkley on our team right now we'd be competing with Kingston and Flint in the Shane Wright sweepstakes.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I like how people cite Merkley coming over as when we started to go downhill, and not the Petes burning Jones out in the first half like we did with Wells a couple seasons ago.

Merkley is a + player in Peterborough, he's not the reason Jones is letting in 5 goals a game instead of the 2 he managed at the beginning of the season. We weren't some tight defensive unit before the Merk trade, we just got bailed out by A+ goaltending that we're not getting anymore. And I'm not even blaming Jones, a kid can only handle that workload so long before he burns out. He looks lethargic out there when at the start of the season he was electric. It's the Petes fault, they could have leaned on Austin more, who in my opinion has looked capable, or traded for an experienced back up.

If we didn't have Merkley on our team right now we'd be competing with Kingston and Flint in the Shane Wright sweepstakes.
It’s not his skill it’s his character unfortunately that’s seeping into team I’m telling you I know from Guelph staff you just can’t win and yeah it would be terrible to either get Wright or Clarke plus Lockhart or Mctavish (of course I’m kidding) but why would that be so bad at this stage..

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
It’s not his skill it’s his character unfortunately that’s seeping into team I’m telling you I know from Guelph staff you just can’t win and yeah it would be terrible to either get Wright or Clarke plus Lockhart or Mctavish (of course I’m kidding) but why would that be so bad at this stage..

Why would getting last place be bad at this stage? Oh I don't know, not like we just lost a third overall pick who didn't want to report, not like we have multiple high draft picks we need to recruit ha ha.

Having a first round drafted NHLer on our squad is going to be a big sell for agents.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
this is bang on to me watching this the drafting has been very good for a team that doesnt get any US or NCAA commits to report. I disagree with the trap style as for most part the forward group is a smaller skilled group robertson hinz sda timleck not trapping type players to me. i think there is something there with wilson though but their D has been dreadfully bad and a new D coach is a must in offseason. i like what wilson did with Butler but we lost Supryka as he was destroyed confidence wise and no way could play after they threw him aside now hes doing ok. The initial development of Gogolev was not done properly by hull then had to be moved as the coaches pushed for Merkely ive heard despite what others warned them trying to make a quick PP fix. To me not an Oke problem he is trying to get what his coaches want and that move will set the Petes back id say. when do you look in mirror and say we need a PP coach it isnt working? too much skill out there for them not to be decent on the PP.
Positive is the fact they have 2 1sts coming to them and 2 2nds in 2019. Stop, put the brakes on, dont trade anyone! build around these young players start winning games bring people back make it a good atmosphere in rink, show agents they can develop players then fans and drafted players will come....winning solves everything :thumbu:
I
That sounds good to use these draft picks and build around them. But that’s what we always try to do. On paper next year with jones Robertson Kirk butler merkley cermak this should be the most talent we’ve had on a team in a long time. We can’t sit back and hope one the draft picks turns into a stud we need to use them as trade value and bring in known players to go with our talent and go for it. As a fan speaking for all fans we deserve to see them go all in we have the pieces here already add to them and take a run at it no more let’s draft and see what happens. As we’ve mentioned many times we haven’t had a good track record at developing we will have 4 top rookies to trade plus a cupboard full of picks use
them bring in talent that is already developed for us

Reactions: dirty12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad