Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
How does Merkley react to this? Does he bounce back positively? Or does he shut down? If he shuts down, I think there's no chance of them keeping a playoff spot. I see it as 50/50 how he'll react.

Reactions: NorthernVoice

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I actually really really hope there is something more specific to the Merkley benching. I know he took some loooooooong shifts Thursday night, so maybe based on that? He really could have had 3 or 4 points very easily that game though and it's a game the Petes should have won if they got some bounces and some stops.

Wilson makes some vague comments in the paper about being committed at both ends ("Merkley was the next to sit out for what Wilson called a hockey-related decision."Guys must be accountable for their play," said Wilson. "You have to play in all areas of the ice and play 110 per cent and give that all the time.")
, but the Petes only allowed 17 shots total on Thursday, this is when you're going to make a stink about defensive play? I hope Wilson isn't this dumb.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Othmann scored a hatty last night in Team Ontario’s opening game of the tourny. Don’t think he lasts until 5th overall.... if we miss the playoffs maybe we get him with our pick.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Othmann scored a hatty last night in Team Ontario’s opening game of the tourny. Don’t think he lasts until 5th overall.... if we miss the playoffs maybe we get him with our pick.

So, which don mills flyers (Wright, Clarke, Schmidt, Othmann) & McTavish & Lockhart are chosen in top four?

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Is Schmidt a threat to not show? He seems to appear everywhere as top 5 ON born 2003.
ncaa commit but who knows, may depend on where he is selected as in the team...zhilkin is same but rumours is he will play in ohl, as usual, certain agents trying to sway where clients land. personally i would take a few other dmen ahead of schmidt but not many

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
like do people actually think if we had Omanski/Fraser/Chisholm/McNamara running as our top four and Gogolev in the lineup we'd be a team that isn't letting in 6 goals a game?
We were a top ten team and above 500 when they did Also had one of the best penalty kill percentage in the league. We may want to look at some of the forwards as well. This is an entire team issue not just what’s happening in net and on the blue line.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
We were a top ten team because Jones was playing like the best goaltender in the country and that was masking how mediocre we actually were.

His usage is the #1 reason we're falling down the standings. Lots of 3 game weekends this year where he played all 3 games when Austin should have seen some action to rest our best player. This weekend being another perfect example, Jones in Wednesday, Jones in Thursday, Jones in Saturday. 16 goals allowed in that stretch. Why wasn't Austin in net Thursday or Saturday?

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
We were a top ten team because Jones was playing like the best goaltender in the country and that was masking how mediocre we actually were.

His usage is the #1 reason we're falling down the standings. Lots of 3 game weekends this year where he played all 3 games when Austin should have seen some action to rest our best player. This weekend being another perfect example, Jones in Wednesday, Jones in Thursday, Jones in Saturday. 16 goals allowed in that stretch. Why wasn't Austin in net Thursday or Saturday?
It’s worked for Sudbury so far. Larry Robinson told Patrick Roy in his rookie year after a game “no more soft goals Patrick”. They went on to win the cup that year. Great goaltending wins championships period. If Jones can find his game again and we start scoring we can turn it around. Go Petes.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002

A goal and 4 assists in the 1st period tonight.

5 points on 5 goals tonight. 9 points on 10 goals scored by Ontario so far.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
It’s worked for Sudbury so far. Larry Robinson told Patrick Roy in his rookie year after a game “no more soft goals Patrick”. They went on to win the cup that year. Great goaltending wins championships period. If Jones can find his game again and we start scoring we can turn it around. Go Petes.
Ok, agreed. It has everything to do with Jones making 9 stops out of ten, so can we please stop scapegoating Merkley?

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Ok, agreed. It has everything to do with Jones making 9 stops out of ten, so can we please stop scapegoating Merkley?

No, Hunter Jones didn't just forget how to stop pucks over the Christmas Break. Does Merkley being very shaky defensively mean that the opposing teams are getting a lot more grade A chances against us? Absolutely. Does Merkley alone cause that? Of course not. It has to fall on coach Wilson more than anyone else. When we play the trap, the other team picks us apart and dominates while we sit back and get no chances. When we run and gun, they score 2 while we score 1. None of his systems/play styles have been working for over a month now and I haven't seen very many changes made

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
No, Hunter Jones didn't just forget how to stop pucks over the Christmas Break. Does Merkley being very shaky defensively mean that the opposing teams are getting a lot more grade A chances against us? Absolutely. Does Merkley alone cause that? Of course not. It has to fall on coach Wilson more than anyone else. When we play the trap, the other team picks us apart and dominates while we sit back and get no chances. When we run and gun, they score 2 while we score 1. None of his systems/play styles have been working for over a month now and I haven't seen very many changes made

Except Merkley is one of the lone + defensemen over that stretch while other blueliners are posting double digit negatives. Why is Merkley even mentioned as a reason why Jones is letting in half a dozen goals a game now.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Except Merkley is one of the lone + defensemen over that stretch while other blueliners are posting double digit negatives. Why is Merkley even mentioned as a reason why Jones is letting in half a dozen goals a game now.
He’s not. And I’m not sure where this is coming from??? They’re all to blame. From the top down. Merkley is a stud offensively Let’s hope he can turn this ship around. That’s why they got him.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

If everything were equal, sure. But Merkley is a 1st rounder so (and 1st overall to the OHL) so yeah, he has a lot more responsibility than an Osmanski does. When the scoring dries up we don't look at Butler and Cermak, we look at SDA and Robertson. Merkley hasn't been bad lately, but not being bad isn't good enough for an NHL 1st round pick. I wonder if Chisholm just isn't used to playing this many games in a season (41 and then 47 the last 2 years) but man has he looked bad lately. Not like himself at all

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
The worst dman since the Merkley trade has been Chisholm... he's had the worst +/- rating since the trade and has seemed to let off the gas like I've never seen before. He's supposed to be the team's top dman and has been the worst as of late. Stop ripping on Merkley, we got exactly what we expected from him. It's other players who've dropped their games as of late.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
I think Chisholm has been falling off with his role changing he was our merkley take the puck lead a rush. But now he’s being told he’s our shutdown man he’s tentative not so free whielding. He’s getting caught flat footed quite a bit and I think that’s his role change he hasn’t quite figured out how to change his play For this style to work

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
A goal and 4 assists in the 1st period tonight.

5 points on 5 goals tonight. 9 points on 10 goals scored by Ontario so far.

10 points in two games for Othmann is pretty insane.... but McTavish does have 7 points in 5 CCHL games playing against junior aged players.... which is also quite impressive.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Say what you will about Merkley's skill; he has incredible offensive prowess that can offset his defensive liabilities but there is nothing he has than can offset his personality.
If it were just that he was a genetically gifted, entitled athlete that would be fine but if you knew half the things he did in Guelph that split the room and created a cancer then you would think twice about saying his offensive talent will carry him through.
If Wilson sat him to send a message, he has more balls than Burnett has but I don't think it will make a difference because quite frankly I don't think Merkley gives a s^!t.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
We will see now won’t we. We made the trade it’s done he’s a pete now good and bad we just hope the good can out way the bad Not every day you can get. Talent like merkley the entire league would say the same things about his skill and attitude. But what should teams just say screw it and cut him his attitude is a cancer? That will nvr happen there will always be a team willing to have his skills in there roster Let’s hope Wilson can keep him in line long enough to help us before he moves on the San Jose’s organization

Reactions: PenaltyBoxPetesFan

PenaltyBoxPetesFan

Jan 10, 2019
Seriously, if half his passes that set up WIDE OPEN NETS had been converted Thursday night, he would have had about 5 assists.
At least Wilson is willing to sit anyone, I suppose. We complained (I know I did, at least) about Hull not holding players accountable. Do they go with Jones yet again Monday? And Thursday? I see Barrie won tonight, too. Only 3 points back.
Sit anyone? Should be sitting sda till he learns to pass the puck when he should instead of circling the zone stick handling till he loses it.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad