Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The Petes have not been good at all tonight
No chemistry, so many missed passes, too many spectators on the ice, too many guys over handling the puck.
Spearing played well for the Petes
Edmonds was solid in goal for Barrie
Better get the ship righted if you want to go to the dance

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Man looking at that lineup card, I think putting SDA on a line with Hinz and Kirk could be good for him. Two linemates that make stuff happen and go hard every shift. Has that been a line combo at any point this year?

I don't think it matters who SDA plays with, he'll be awful. Has been all season. It's just brutal to watch him on the ice.

And if Little was a scratch because of his penalty in Oshawa, why hasn't SDA been scratched yet because of his constant turnovers and poor play? Is it because he's a Leafs pick?

Last edited:

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
The Petes have not been good at all tonight
No chemistry, so many missed passes, too many spectators on the ice, too many guys over handling the puck.
Spearing played well for the Petes
Edmonds was solid in goal for Barrie
Better get the ship righted if you want to go to the dance

It looked like they didn't complete a pass all night. If they keep playing like that, Barrie deserves to pass them for 8th place. Some pretty cheap calls, again.

He's been pretty good lately, but could Merkley PLEASE get up off the ice in under 5 seconds when he goes down instead of lying there looking at the refs? He ends up out of the play because of it. Seems like it happens at least twice a game.

Last edited:

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Hard to find any positives from tonight. I was even one number away on the jersey raffle which means whatever guy got there one minute before I did got the winning ticket. Bound to win it one of these weeks. All I've won all season is a free chicken meal from Mary Brown's.

They cranked the sound system up tonight so every time that woman introduced the Harveys challenge or the kiss cam, my ears bled from the shrill deafening sound of her voice.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
I don't think it matters who SDA plays with, he'll be awful. Has been all season. It's just brutal to watch him on the ice.

And if Little was a scratch because of his penalty in Oshawa, why hasn't SDA been scratched yet because of his constant turnovers and poor play? Is it because he's a Leafs pick?

Likely. He's been brutal all season. I didn't see most of the game, but one of the times I tuned in I saw SDA give the puck away. He does almost every shift it seems, and sometimes multiple times a shift. It's almost as if he's not even trying, because he was never this bad in the past and I thought he was overrated then as well.

What has happened to the Peterborough Petes? My god. I knew they weren't a top team, but they shouldn't be this bad, or anywhere close. There doesn't seem to be much urgency with them or with anyone in the organization as to why they're this bad.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
This was from my season preview column this year. This team is basically as expected but a strong first half on Hunter Jones' back set expectations higher.

The Petes allowed the third most goals in the OHL last season and made no major off-season additions to the defence or goaltending. The greatest hope for overall defensive improvement comes from Wilson's appointment and implementation of a new overall team defensive system. A major question looms in net, where the Petes have only 15 games of OHL experience and may have to look to add a veteran at some point.
With expected regression from Eastern Conference rivals in Kingston, Hamilton and Mississauga, the Petes should be in the mix for a playoff spot. An improvement in overall defence and a strong showing in net could push the team into the upper half of the conference.
The Petes could have as many as 19 players returning who suited up for the club last season which, given natural year over year improvement, should be a strength, but if the goal prevention issues of a year ago aren't improved, another long season isn't out of the question.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
The Petes should have scored a half dozen goals tonight easily. Kirk missed a couple empty nets. Merkley missed an empty net and hit a crossbar. Gallant missed an empty net at the end of the game, Butler hit a cross bar. Power play was bad, the Colts capitalized with some quick strikes but let's be honest, Barrie barely touched the puck tonight, Petes didn't capitalize on countless chances and didn't get the stops.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
At this rate I can’t see SDA being a Pete next season.... Wilson can’t stand him, if you watch the bench he’s screaming at him after almost every shift.

If we miss the playoffs, or even finish 8th... you have to think Oke’s on the hot seat. We all knew this would happen when he failed to help this team at the trade deadline. I think Walser and Verner need to go as well... two years in a row the D and goalies have plummeted down the stretch.

Next year’s supposed to be “the year” but I can’t see it, if you don’t gain valuable playoff experience this season. Not very often a team goes from awful to champs.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
At this rate I can’t see SDA being a Pete next season.... Wilson can’t stand him, if you watch the bench he’s screaming at him after almost every shift.

If we miss the playoffs, or even finish 8th... you have to think Oke’s on the hot seat. We all knew this would happen when he failed to help this team at the trade deadline. I think Walser and Verner need to go as well... two years in a row the D and goalies have plummeted down the stretch.

Next year’s supposed to be “the year” but I can’t see it, if you don’t gain valuable playoff experience this season. Not very often a team goes from awful to champs.

I hope you're right about SDA not being here next season. If Wilson is screaming at him, why is he still getting on the ice when he contributes nothing? He's not producing offensively and he can't play defensively, so there's no reason for him to be on the ice.

I was also thinking the same thing last night, that next season is supposed to be the year they contend. With this group, I don't see it happening. Take away Osmanski, Paquette and Timleck and it's even weaker.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
If we're as broke as it sounds like we are, can't imagine they're going to lure top GM or assistant coach talent. Lots of teams bringing in younger former OHLers as assistant coaches, I'd be down for something like that.

I feel bad for Wilson because he's doing what he can but there's just something wrong with this organization. I feel bad for Oke too although if it weren't for the old boys club that runs the team and nepotism, he wouldn't be in that role to begin with. Games like last night really make you question why even bother.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
SDA is only playing for himself and it’s not working dubas must be shaking his head at that signing he’ll be lucky to play echl after junior This is exactly why oke needs to go didn’t pull the trigger to strengthen this team up for the future this team is looking worse than last year. Wilson is atleast keeping us afloat for now. If we end up in 8th or even funnier 9th how does oke not get canned to years in a row you know the team needs help and didn’t bring in players or very least ship a player out for some good picks he’s always content to just stand pat and hope a player turns into a star He’s helpless Maybe on a different team his style would work but not here we are small market need to go all in every few years and tinker your way back from the bottom the next few only way will get a top tier team

Last edited:

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
I’ve nvr been so mad watching a hockey game as I was last night. By no means do I think this team is top tier but come on Barrie? You gotta be able to beat these teams I don’t know if they play down on them and look ahead what ever it is hope they see they gotta change or pretty soon we’re on the out side looking in. March 9th in Barrie could be a huge game

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Trade him to London, and get whatever return you can get on him. The Hunter connection with Toronto would be a perfect fit for Dubas, Toronto and SDA to get him back on track.

We'd be selling low so even getting someone like Sahil Panwar or Billy Moskal would be decent. I think starting a fourth line talent that works hard is a bigger net positive on the ice than starting a top line talent that doesn't give a damn like SDA is right now. Cut our losses and move on.

Use some draft capital and take a run at a team like Sarnia or Niagara that don't have any picks in upcoming years.

Kirk - Robertson - ?
Cermak - Gallant - Butler
Little - Grondin - Hinz
? - ? - Denault

Merkley - Spearing
Fraser - Chisholm
McNamara - ParkerJones

With only two OA spots filled assuming Gallant isn't signed, both Euro spots filled, and two future 1st round picks to insert into the lineup. I'd be totally fine moving on from McNamara/JPJ if it meant upgrading our blueline ability. We have some decent mobility from the back end but that projected starting six is going to leak like a sieve again, with Jones needing to play lights out to mask how bad they are.

I'm only really sold on Gallant as an OA if that ends up happening. Fraser is a fan favorite and has some great hits and a physical element we need, but I'm not sure he impacts the game positively enough to be an OA in an "all in" year. Basically there's a lot of question marks in what is supposed to be our window to compete. It would be hard to argue that any additions we make would out perform Paquette/Timleck really. Just spit balling here.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Trade him to London, and get whatever return you can get on him. The Hunter connection with Toronto would be a perfect fit for Dubas, Toronto and SDA to get him back on track.

We'd be selling low so even getting someone like Sahil Panwar or Billy Moskal would be decent. I think starting a fourth line talent that works hard is a bigger net positive on the ice than starting a top line talent that doesn't give a damn like SDA is right now. Cut our losses and move on.

Use some draft capital and take a run at a team like Sarnia or Niagara that don't have any picks in upcoming years.

Kirk - Robertson - ?
Cermak - Gallant - Butler
Little - Grondin - Hinz
? - ? - Denault

Merkley - Spearing
Fraser - Chisholm
McNamara - ParkerJones

With only two OA spots filled assuming Gallant isn't signed, both Euro spots filled, and two future 1st round picks to insert into the lineup. I'd be totally fine moving on from McNamara/JPJ if it meant upgrading our blueline ability. We have some decent mobility from the back end but that projected starting six is going to leak like a sieve again, with Jones needing to play lights out to mask how bad they are.

I'm only really sold on Gallant as an OA if that ends up happening. Fraser is a fan favorite and has some great hits and a physical element we need, but I'm not sure he impacts the game positively enough to be an OA in an "all in" year. Basically there's a lot of question marks in what is supposed to be our window to compete. It would be hard to argue that any additions we make would out perform Paquette/Timleck really. Just spit balling here.

Robertson will not play in the middle. That experiment died very quickly last season. He is a winger.

SDA to LDN for Moskal and picks.... flip those picks to Niagara for J.Paquette to fill last OA spot.

Draft Othmann(5), Pinelli(9), Matier(23).

Robertson- Gallant - Butler
Kirk - Moskal - Othmann
Cermak - Grondin - Hinz
Little - Pinelli - Denault
J.Kirk

Paquette - Merkley
Chisholm - Fraser
Spearing - ParkerJones
Matier

Jones
Austin

.... as you can tell, I enjoy the whole armchair GM game.

Last edited:

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Wonder if the Petes take a run at local product Jon-Randall Avon with their 2nd round pick, he's projected to go mid second and I imagine he's not someone you need to sell on joining the Petes.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Robertson will not play in the middle. That experiment died very quickly last season. He is a winger.

SDA to LDN for Moskal and picks.... flip those picks to Niagara for J.Paquette to fill last OA spot.

Draft Othmann(5), Pinelli(9), Matier(23).
Are you thinking Mctavish is gone at #5 now?

I agree that Avon would be a likely fit. I'm not a fan of reaching to draft local players but it seems like late-first/early-second is the range for him anyway.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
The Merkely deal for this team was/is a coach/team killer. Take a look at their record after that trade—brutal...it’s seeping into the team and something drastic has to be done to me...coach or coaches...players watching for a loooong time and moved out for whatever in summer it HAS to show they can handle 2 1st round picks coming in or they’re gonna run into same no-show issue or have to settle with only guys who will report...it’s not good folks, or good BUT can be fixed

Reactions: viewfromabove

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

I agree that Avon would be a likely fit. I'm not a fan of reaching to draft local players but it seems like late-first/early-second is the range for him anyway.
I’m guessing mctavish will be gone but othmann would be there I think but will he come with all that is going on right now????

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

I'm sure if he was in London he'd put up 70 points next season, at least. Even if most were PP assists. They'd find a way to turn him into a legitimate player.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
I’m guessing mctavish will be gone but othmann would be there I think but will he come with all that is going on right now????
Most top picks will declare NCAA when Peterborough enters the conversation. And it’s amazing to me all these arm chair Gm’s ideas when all the talk has been about how this team is going for it next year. I’ve got news for you, good luck. Did anyone watch the last few games? The Petes have won 3 games this year. ThEy had the perfect opportunity to develop their 2000 born draft class and didn’t. They sent 9 players to the Ohl Gold cup that draft year and that didn’t include Gogalev or SDA. Had there been a plan in place to develop for the future this team was in good shape to be ready for next year. But here we are again wondering what the hell went wrong. Until this team is sold to private ownership it will be the same thing year after year. And by the reaction of some of the players on the bench and after the game on the ice last night this ship is sinking fast. I sure hope they can turn it around.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

McTavish is now ranked 2 or 3 on most draft sites now.

Avon is a nice player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad