Confirmed with Link: Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The roster needs more elite skill. Giroux right now is the only one who really you can say has elite skill level. Couts doesn't have the skating to have elite skills. Schenn plays more of a Richards type player and skill set. Read is great player but doesn't have elite puck skills. We need players like bobby Ryan and a Jordan eberle type player who can control the play with the puck. Voracek needs to start using his body again, when he does that and protects the puck, he is elite. His back isn't fully healthy though so I will give him a pass for a little longer.

That's my take atleast. If we had one more player like a eberle or Ryan they could really set this offense up. Elite puck skills is what this team needs. Giroux and voracek and the only two who have that ability to consistently do it. Vinny is a little beyond his prime.

I definitely agree that if this team had better players they would be a better team.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
So are you saying the Flyers traded Richards and Carter because of the media and fans? Really?

Lupul has an interesting perspective on growing up. It jives completely with the reports that the Flyer vets like Pronger, Timonen and Briere didn't think the young guys were preparing properly. But what would Lupul know, he was there:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/14/time-to-do-my-job-leafs-joffrey-lupul-says

Leafs' Joffrey Lupul puts party past behind him - From late nights with Flyers mates and being written off by Ducks, winger matures into a professional

Lupul has been among the leaders in the NHL in only one category in his career: Late nights. As the Hall of Fame hockey writer Frank Orr once wrote: “He’s seen Dawn more often than Tony Orlando.”

The key to that sentence is past tense. Lupul used to be known as one of hockey’s great party boys. When he played for the Philadelphia Flyers as a 24-and 25-year-old, he played and lived alongside Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Scottie Upshall, Scott Hartnell — young, single millionaires living life in the big city.

Living too much of life.

“We had a lot of fun,” said Lupul. “Maybe too much fun.

“We had a bunch of guys on our team, all the same age, all the same way. It was the only team I’ve ever been on like that. We were best friends. We went out for dinner every night. We were young and experiencing life. We didn’t know any better.”

The team with Carter and Richards almost won a Stanley Cup in Philadelphia after Lupul was traded as part of a deal with Anaheim for defenceman Chris Pronger. Carter and Richards did win their Cup with their current squad, the Los Angeles Kings. Lupul is still waiting for his opportunity.

He doesn’t look back and regret the partying: He regrets not understanding what off-season training could do for him, how advanced his career might be now had he taken his job more seriously.

“In my first five seasons in the NHL, I didn’t put in the maximum preparation,” he said. “I never did the extra work. I never worked on my skills. I trained. I went to practice. But I never worked extras on my skating or passing or off ice stuff like flexibility. I didn’t spend enough time.

“I can do things now I couldn’t do then. It came with work, hard work. It came when I took a more serious approach to playing in the NHL.”

:sarcasm:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I definitely agree that if this team had better players they would be a better team.

It's not what I'm saying. I understand there is a hint of sarcasm in there, but we really don't have players that can control the puck down low for a good amount of time and play the possession game. Hartnell won't deke anyone out of there skates, Simmonds usually turns the puck when he tries. We don't have players to keep possession. Successful teams play that style. We need more of those players with that skill set

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The roster needs more elite skill. Giroux right now is the only one who really you can say has elite skill level. Couts doesn't have the skating to have elite skills. Schenn plays more of a Richards type player and skill set. Read is great player but doesn't have elite puck skills. We need players like bobby Ryan and a Jordan eberle type player who can control the play with the puck. Voracek needs to start using his body again, when he does that and protects the puck, he is elite. His back isn't fully healthy though so I will give him a pass for a little longer.

That's my take atleast. If we had one more player like a eberle or Ryan they could really set this offense up. Elite puck skills is what this team needs. Giroux and voracek and the only two who have that ability to consistently do it. Vinny is a little beyond his prime.

Ugh...this dude's name won't die. It's almost like Godwin's law...as far as bringing his name up.

Anyway, don't necessarily disagree with anything you are saying and have said it myself (we need more skill) but Bobby Ryan won't be coming here anytime soon..only when he is beyond his prime like Vinny..then we will sign him to a multiyear deal and expect him to be like Bobby of old. Seems to be the Flyers trend..hopefully Hexy changes that when he is in there.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It's not what I'm saying. I understand there is a hint of sarcasm in there, but we really don't have players that can control the puck down low for a good amount of time and play the possession game. Hartnell won't deke anyone out of there skates, Simmonds usually turns the puck when he tries. We don't have players to keep possession. Successful teams play that style. We need more of those players with that skill set

I agree....

Why was Briere successful with Leino.....puck possession..until Leino started concentrating on buying shoes and thought he was Hugo Boss..then he became a turnover machine.

G has been most successful with a dude like Jagr...

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Lupul has an interesting perspective on growing up. It jives completely with the reports that the Flyer vets like Pronger, Timonen and Briere didn't think the young guys were preparing properly. But what would Lupul know, he was there:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/14/time-to-do-my-job-leafs-joffrey-lupul-says

:sarcasm:

Now you did it Larry....

But seriously..not like the GM himself didn't call out that crew for partying too much.

The people that say the off ice stuff had little or nothing to do with the trades have a huge blind spot for whatever reason.

[MOD]

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Did anybody read Eklund's blog post ( I know I know...) yesterday about the Flyers not caring about what the fans etc think about them changing coaches?

He mentioned that some of the players are not thrilled about Berube taking over and that if they don't shape up they will shipped out...

If true.. wondering who they are. Hopefully, nobody like a G....don't need that kind of drama...not after what we've dealt with the last couple of years.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Hartnell and giroux seemed to talk well about him when it was announced he would be our coach. Also, they need to grow up if they aren't happy with the coaching change, it's part of the business. You won't have the same guy for your entire career.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Did anybody read Eklund's blog post ( I know I know...) yesterday about the Flyers not caring about what the fans etc think about them changing coaches?

He mentioned that some of the players are not thrilled about Berube taking over and that if they don't shape up they will shipped out...

If true.. wondering who they are. Hopefully, nobody like a G....don't need that kind of drama...not after what we've dealt with the last couple of years.

Since it's Eklund I won't take it as much, but if true then welcome to Richards/Carter 2.0.

Such fun that would be.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hartnell and giroux seemed to talk well about him when it was announced he would be our coach. Also, they need to grow up if they aren't happy with the coaching change, it's part of the business. You won't have the same guy for your entire career.

Agreed.....

Having said this....if Hartnell doesn't get his brain to operate properly soon I'm all for possibly moving him. I know he is trying but it seems to be a case with him of trying too hard and to do too much. That funk with him sometimes lasts too long. G is suffering similarly but with his skill I'm pretty sure he'll break out of it.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Agreed.....

Having said this....if Hartnell doesn't get his brain to operate properly soon I'm all for possibly moving him. I know he is trying but it seems to be a case with him of trying to hard and to do too much. That funk with him sometimes lasts too long. G is suffering similarly but with his skill I'm pretty sure he'll break out of it.

People don't seem to realize this, but more often then not statistically he's been a 20 to 25 G and 40 to 50 P guy then the 30 G, 60 P Hartnell we expect over the last five seasons.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Since we're on the topic of Eklund he also said the Flyers/Jets have been talking about Dustin Byfuglien but that's kind of an easy rumor to pass.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
People don't seem to realize this, but more often then not statistically he's been a 20 to 25 G and 40 to 50 P guy then the 30 G, 60 P Hartnell we expect over the last five seasons.

If he scores 50 points in the next 78 games, I 'd be more than happy.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm pretty anti-Bufflin, but hell with it, give me some more offense on the blue line, can never have enough.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Penguins and the likes of Edmonton and other pick-farming teams aside, how many teams have more than one elite player on them? We've picked top 2 once in a lifetime, our squad is balanced rather than top-heavy and it tends to do us well.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Penguins and the likes of Edmonton and other pick-farming teams aside, how many teams have more than one elite player on them? We've picked top 2 once in a lifetime, our squad is balanced rather than top-heavy and it tends to do us well.

The use of the term "elite" is probably taking it to an extreme...

We need some more playmakers who are crafty with the puck and can establish/keep puck possession. We have a bit too many dump and chase types IMO.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
No to man boobs! Although he would seem like Berube's type of player....

He still flys out there despite his big stature. My only issue with him is his compete level, when he wants to play he's one of the better offensive defensemen in league but it's hard to get him to do that night in & night out.

I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion they'll be going after a mobile defensemen this summer & Byfuglien makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad