Confirmed with Link: Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren announced Monday morning that Craig Berube has been named the 18th head coach in Flyers history, replacing Peter Laviolette, who was relieved of his duties.

Berube, 48 (12/17/65), had started his seventh season as a Flyers assistant coach and is in his 17th overall season with the club. Berube was most recently named a Flyers assistant coach on August 7, 2008, and also served as an assistant coach for most of the 2006-07 season.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=685799&navid=DL|PHI|home

----------------------------------------

Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers 4m
Flyers have fired Peter Laviolette, per a source. Replacing him with Craig Berube. Press conference at 11am.

https://twitter.com/DNFlyers/status/387209321341145088

There it is

Last edited by a moderator:

HartsyMania

What, me worry?
May 14, 2010
Pennsylvania
Good. I really appreciate everything Lavy has done for us, but this needed to happen. The team was getting beat the same exact way every single shift, and needed a shakeup. If this team doesn't change under a new coach, I believe that it's more of a personnel problem and Homer will be next on the chopping block.

Best of luck to Laviolette in the future, I'm sure if he's put in the right position with the right team he can still succeed.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Well that was a lot faster than I thought it would take, here's to the Flyers having enough time to turn it around

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Wow. That didn't take long. I figured they would give him at least a couple weeks to sort things out. I have no idea what to expect from Berube.

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
Best wishes to Lavy... he was a great replacement for what was there before him and he coached one hell of an offensive team a couple years ago, but things needed to change as the 29 other teams figured out how to beat his system.

Just wish this was done at the end of last regular season, we could have replaced him with a high quality coach.

Evergreen

I think Laviolette is a very good coach. The thing I am having trouble understanding is why he so adamantly refused to alter his systems at all once it was clear that they weren't working. He just kept trying the same futile "high offense" systems until the very end. I mean even Boudreau attempted to change to a more defensive system in his final year in Washington. Hopefully Berube doesn't simply employ the same systems that Lavi used. It's hard to predict what he will do, though, considering he doesn't really have much coaching experience whatsoever to look at.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Also, those canadian fans on main board are unbearable. How did the Leafs fans become so confident over just one summer?

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
Atta boy Homer!

I appreciate Lavi and everything he has done for the org.

He should have a ring with us.

However his system doesn't fit our team anymore. We are no longer the '09/'10 SCF Flyers.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Atta boy Homer!

I appreciate Lavi and everything he has done for the org.

He should have a ring with us.

However his system doesn't fit our team anymore. We are no longer the '09/'10 SCF Flyers.

You are praising Holmgren?

We now have Berube as coach when we could have had a better coach from the ones available in the offseason. Moreover, this team still has issues..they don't have enough quick players. Not sure how Berube of all people is going to figure out what to do with this squad....

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Well there goes all of the optimism, now the team sucks, the coach got fired, if the replacement doesn't work, the GM will get fired.

Hey, when do people start blaming the players for being ******?

Calderone

old time hockey
Oct 18, 2008
Philly Metro Area
Absolutely done too late.. No idea why he wasn't given a dirt nap after last seasons abomination. Then the new coach woulda had the whole off-season and training camp to prepare/implement his system.

But better late than never.

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
crazy-happy-dance.gif

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Did anyone else get the ESPN alert on their phone saying "NHL - Flyers fire Peter Laviolette after 0-3-0 start -- source; In 5th season with 1 playoff appearance". I literally shake my head every time ESPN tried to cover anything to do with hockey. I hope to the hockey gods that they meant Stanley Cup Final appearance and not Playoff appearance. Either way, still morons.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Cant have the record they have had so far and in preseason and be the flyers head coach. They will make the playoffs this year or heads will roll, that is one of the things that I love about the flyers is every year they try and win. I mean if you've followedthis team at all you know that any screw ups will not be tolerated the year after missing the playoffs.

Best of luck to Lavi, will miss the JAM. Berube vs Bylsma should be awfully interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad