Confirmed with Link: Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Apparently Lappy's main project is to get Rinaldo on the PK.

I'll admit, that'll be something to see. Rinaldo is a very quick skater, so it could be very beneficial to the Flyers

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Apparently Lappy's main project is to get Rinaldo on the PK.

I'll admit, that'll be something to see. Rinaldo is a very quick skater, so it could be very beneficial to the Flyers

He's done it in the AHL and has gotten looks in preseason the past two yrs.

That would make him a great 4th liner IMO. Hope this is true.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I remember Lavi mentioning the same thing about Rinaldo, ya know becoming a pk'er. Idk why it never happened but it's nice to hear he will be given the chance to expand his role. Lappy was a great pk'er so he's learning from the right guy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And it gives Rinaldo even more of an incentive to keep his skates on the ice and his shoulders/elbows low when he hits. Can't kill any penalties if he's the one in the box.

Against Carolina and Florida he did a great job of not giving the refs and opportunity to make a reputation call.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I want to be positive about Berube but this experiment of playing Simmonds and Hartnell with Giroux seems doomed to failure. G and Voracek were great together last year.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
I want to be positive about Berube but this experiment of playing Simmonds and Hartnell with Giroux seems doomed to failure. G and Voracek were great together last year.

It works out great on the PP, but thats the PP. Maybe in offensive zones it would be a nightmare. Hartnell really needs to get going. With his caphit he needs to produce

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

They played 1 game together give it at least a few games.

Giroux himself needs to get it going out of anybody on this team, a player of his caliber should be carrying a line.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

So were Voracek and Schenn.

I agree it's important to get G going, cause he's the guy, but a player of his caliber shouldn't have to play with someone to get going.

To be honest in the short period they were together, they didn't look very good. In fact they were invisible. Voracek, Vinny and Schenn were our best line last game. I think they need to stick things out a bit and see how things turn out. Lavi's style was to try 80 different combo's per game but I think that was counterproductive to developing "chemistry".

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
So were Voracek and Schenn.

I agree it's important to get G going, cause he's the guy, but a player of his caliber shouldn't have to play with someone to get going.

To be honest in the short period they were together, they didn't look very good. In fact they were invisible. Voracek, Vinny and Schenn were our best line last game. I think they need to stick things out a bit and see how things turn out. Lavi's style was to try 80 different combo's per game but I think that was counterproductive to developing "chemistry".

The Couts line was easily the best line vs Florida.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't know, I think a case could be made for it. While they didn't have any flashy scoring chances they were consistently applying forechecking pressure in the offensive zone. They regularly generated shot opportunities. Looked like that line was possibly starting to click more and more as the game went on. We'll see if there's some real chemistry forming there or if it was a flash in the pan.

Edit: They're helped by other lines not looking good.

Lecavalier is carrying his line on his own right now, but I thought Couturier's was starting to show more chemisty.

Last edited:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
And it gives Rinaldo even more of an incentive to keep his skates on the ice and his shoulders/elbows low when he hits. Can't kill any penalties if he's the one in the box.

Against Carolina and Florida he did a great job of not giving the refs and opportunity to make a reputation call.

Ive been wanting to say this all week.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know, I think a case could be made for it. While they didn't have any flashy scoring chances they were consistently applying forechecking pressure in the offensive zone. They regularly generated shot opportunities. Looked like that line was possibly starting to click more and more as the game went on. We'll see if there's some real chemistry forming there or if it was a flash in the pan.

Edit: They're helped by other lines not looking good.

Lecavalier is carrying his line on his own right now, but I thought Couturier's was starting to show more chemisty.

That's the main reason why I think people really need to lay off the "we need more talent next to Giroux" theory. They've been switching a few guys around with Vinny & his lines have been pretty consistent so far through the four games.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I Had a daydream that Giroux would struggle this year but would be selected to the canadian olympic team where he would explode as a winger with Eric Staal Centering him.

When the season restarts Berube puts him on the wing of Couturier and he explodes.

Just a daydream but could be interesting.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
That's the main reason why I think people really need to lay off the "we need more talent next to Giroux" theory. They've been switching a few guys around with Vinny & his lines have been pretty consistent so far through the four games.

While I agree that Giroux should produce regardless of which one of our scoring wingers he's paired with, he's currently paired with probably the worst pair possible. Two guys that are good for 30 G and 50 to 60 P even at their best, that play a very similar net crashing game, and also one of them is Hartnell. Probably our most under performing forward this season and has consistency issues throughout the seasons. He also falls down a lot.

EDIT: Also, his favorite pass is a slap pass.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Giroux has certainly been trying to force things too much to his detriment. But the situation is definitely made worse by Simmonds and Hartnell's play right now. I like that they're both hustling their ***** off, but they're hustling to do the wrong thing or flub.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Giroux has certainly been trying to force things too much to his detriment. But the situation is definitely made worse by Simmonds and Hartnell's play right now. I like that they're both hustling their ***** off, but they're hustling to do the wrong thing or flub.

Yeah, it's not black-and-white on Giroux or not on Giroux like others like to argue about. It's both on Giroux and the bad winger selection.

I have faith that Simmonds will rebound when the rest of the team does. He's much younger then Hartnell and has been more consistent throughout his young career plus he's been trending upward since he got here (if you discount the games this season which is too small a sample size anyhow). Plus I've never heard of Simmonds being as, shall we say, thoughtless as Hartnell in terms of plays. For instance, I don't think I've ever heard of Simmonds being a league leader in minor penalties nor throwing his glove at an opposing player on a breakaway.

I mean, this is far from the first time Hartnell has hit a slump here. Nothing really new with him. Kind of is for Simmonds.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Given G's extension (as I said when signed it was a year too soon) he should be producing at at least .75 ppg regardless of playing with Voracek or with a Talbot equivalent, let alone Hartnell or Simmonds or else he will be grossly overpaid. He will be paid at a level that assumes he makes people around him much better.

I do think he will play better going forward and believe he has the ability to play up to his contract extension, but he didn't do it at the start of last year and he is not doing it now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad