Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think the real significance of the tweet about about the time is that it shows everyone how biased we can be about a player. Instead of reading it for what it was (and like MMB pointed out, without context) it was attributed that he's out there for 3 hours before anyone else is at the facility. Obviously that's not accurate. And obviously we all as fans of the team want Peter to succeed, but let's rein the expectations in a bit. He's a young guy that's worked hard to earn a shot. Let his game grow and show whether he belongs here or not. No 5 minutes before 8 tweets needed. lol
Well it's a direct quote from the coach down there, a coach who also mentioned he had some issues that needed to be fix, so it's worth discussing. I don't think people thinking 5am is bias as much as it is probably a misquote or poor wording.

You seem to not be his biggest fan, which is fine, but I don't really see anyone expecting him to be an all-star or the answer to our problems. Most people are just happy to see him earn his chance to see what he can do and if he can provide some secondary scoring. There's also a solid chance he's being showcased and secondary chance that Heinen/Donato might be traded and they want to see if he can fill their spot.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah this thread is going to be really interesting whether he blows people's minds or if he stinks up the place. Looking forward to it :naughty:

And we'll know all there is to know about him in two shifts or less :laugh:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Yeah this thread is going to be really interesting whether he blows people's minds or if he stinks up the place. Looking forward to it :naughty:
I don't look forward to it. Either a lot of people hyping the hell out of him if he plays well his first game or a lot of people saying he's awful, because there's obviously no middle ground here :laugh:

Reactions: Dr Hook

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
all I know is that something is going on at or around five to 8am and I`m getting a little suspicious as to what that might be:laugh:
giphy.gif

Reactions: BMC and ODAAT

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
I’m excited. He’s clearly got skill and vision on the ice. If he rounds out the other parts of his game (using his big frame along the boards effectively, cleaning up turnovers, amping up the intensity), I think he’ll stick around and even excel.

Regardless of your ex-ante position of his value, as bruins fans we should all be rooting hard for the kid!

False Start

May 8, 2018
Things I would be watching out for are not his offensive skills.

He's not fleet of foot and can fall behind plays. I would watch to see if he's in the right position on the forecheck, making the correct reads defensively. Doing this at minimum would keep him in the lineup for at least a little bit.

He should be able to win board battles, being a players with size he should be able to use it effectively. Lastly, there needs to be a medium between high risk plays and dangerous turnovers. With offensive players you have to acknowledge that but too many of the latter will get you sent right back down to the bench.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Cassidy states

"That was his issue the last time here, the puck management and when to make a play and when to make a play through your teammates, a safer play."
-----------
Though this is not true for Marchand, Pasta, Krejci lol

I guess if you score some points ... this quote doesnt apply

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Things I would be watching out for are not his offensive skills.

He's not fleet of foot and can fall behind plays. I would watch to see if he's in the right position on the forecheck, making the correct reads defensively. Doing this at minimum would keep him in the lineup for at least a little bit.

He should be able to win board battles, being a players with size he should be able to use it effectively. Lastly, there needs to be a medium between high risk plays and dangerous turnovers. With offensive players you have to acknowledge that but too many of the latter will get you sent right back down to the bench.

I agree

If Donato has been able to evolve his game to do this, so can Cehlarik

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Is it that he's there "every morning" that's significant?

Is it the time he starts? If so, why say 7:55 instead if eight?

Or does he skate really early and "five" and "every morning" is simply hyperbole to illustrate how hard he works?

It's the problem with Twitter reporting. Basically this tweet of someone else's quote says almost absolutely nothing.
That is the problem with Twitter reporting, but I think we can all understand the point he was trying to get across, which is that Cehlarik works harder than everyone else. He didn’t do a good job of explaining why he works harder but it seems he believes he puts in extra time.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Per Cassidy

Jake DeBrusk and Chris Wagner will play tonight. Peter Cehlarik will play the left with David Krejci. DeBrusk on the right. David Backes is the scratch up front. John Moore and Steven Kampfer out on the back end.

I don't like the idea of Debrusk as RW—I believe that Cehlarik is more used to and comfortable playing his off-wing—but I love Backes being scratched.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I’m excited. He’s clearly got skill and vision on the ice. If he rounds out the other parts of his game (using his big frame along the boards effectively, cleaning up turnovers, amping up the intensity), I think he’ll stick around and even excel.

Regardless of your ex-ante position of his value, as bruins fans we should all be rooting hard for the kid!

yes

Its going to be between him and Backes or another callup before Nordstrom returns/trade deadline

Crucial opportunity for Cehlarik

I hope he helps the 2nd line score an even strength point

BruinsNetwork

That is the problem with Twitter reporting, but I think we can all understand the point he was trying to get across, which is that Cehlarik works harder than everyone else. He didn’t do a good job of explaining why he works harder but it seems he believes he puts in extra time.

Think he’s just using it to demonstrate that he’s there, ready to go, before anyone else, first thing in the morning— every morning.

I’ve shared this before, but my favorite experience with Peter Cehlarik wasn’t even speaking to him. It was in passing when I was on my way to the locker room to interview a player.

Long story short, Cehlarik was still in his compression pants when everyone else had showered and changed back into their suits.

He was at the work bench working on his stick after a pretty rough game.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I don't like the idea of Debrusk as RW—I believe that Cehlarik is more used to and comfortable playing his off-wing—but I love Backes being scratched.

I wouldn't worry about this

Bruins have wingers cris crossing all game long anyways

due to Debrusk speed, they likely placed him on the RW

Cehlarik is not as good of a skater so that half a sec needed to adjust (turned around on the boards/puck coming around the boards) ... is probably what Cassidy wants to avoid

Reactions: Estlin

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Think he’s just using it to demonstrate that he’s there, ready to go, before anyone else, first thing in the morning— every morning.

I’ve shared this before, but my favorite experience with Peter Cehlarik wasn’t even speaking to him. It was in passing when I was on my way to the locker room to interview a player.

Long story short, Cehlarik was still in his compression pants when everyone else had showered and changed back into their suits.

He was at the work bench working on his stick after a pretty rough game.

Can you explain what this means?

was he on the ice, putting in extra practice?

OR taping his stick etc

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Well it's a direct quote from the coach down there, a coach who also mentioned he had some issues that needed to be fix, so it's worth discussing. I don't think people thinking 5am is bias as much as it is probably a misquote or poor wording.

You seem to not be his biggest fan, which is fine, but I don't really see anyone expecting him to be an all-star or the answer to our problems. Most people are just happy to see him earn his chance to see what he can do and if he can provide some secondary scoring. There's also a solid chance he's being showcased and secondary chance that Heinen/Donato might be traded and they want to see if he can fill their spot.

It's not that I'm not a fan or dislike the guy. I just don't agree with the ardent fans that he's the answer. It's not that I don't think he can do it either. It's that I think the expectations by the pro Cehlarik are out of whack.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
are you not seeing it?

He is playing much better since sent down Prov

He is playing better on the defensive end, winning those little battles along the boards. And overall doesn't look lost.

I’m still not seeing it.

I think Cassidy is very selective about when and where he gets him out there. On the PP, offensive zone draws, etc.

What I see is a very talented offensive player who has two different compete levels. One in the offensive zone when he’s hounding or carrying the puck and one in his own end. When that compete level in the D and NZ are the same as the OZ, he will be a legit player.

He needs to improve his skating and his functional strength (same could be said for lots of young players, not just Donato). I think he can fix the things he has issues with, but wish the B’s had just given him a year in PRO to do it.

False Start

May 8, 2018
are you not seeing it?

He is playing much better since sent down Prov

He is playing better on the defensive end, winning those little battles along the boards. And overall doesn't look lost.
I'm seeing it but not at the level you are.

It's a very very slight improvement, enough to keep him in the lineup because of his offense. But he still loses the puck randomly for no reason, still weak along the boards. Weak on his skates when he gets going, seriously he somehow gets lighter on his feet when he's flying high. Guys breath on him and he'll fall over.

I want him to be as cerebral as JFK while maintaining his offensive flair. If he can do that he'll score 30 in this league.

Reactions: Blowfish

BruinsNetwork

Can you explain what this means?

was he on the ice, putting in extra practice?

OR taping his stick etc

Believe he had the blowtorch out on his blade and then he was sawing down the handle a bit and working it out in general. Just goes to show that he wasn’t happy with something on the ice and was doing his best to make adjustments afterwards. Even if everyone else was already on their way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad