Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
This kid has been one of my favourite Bruins prospects since I caught him in the WJCs a few years back playing very well on a weak team. He put up good numbers as a young kid in the SHL and then, in his first year on NA ice, led the P-Bruins in ppg average (I believe, too lazy to check) his numbers dipped at the end too as he was trying to play through a trashed shoulder.

He has the size (6'2, 200+ pds) that we could really use up front and apparently came to camp in amazing shape.... also meshes well stylistically with a Krejci, Pastrnak.

Yet, somehow the kid gets little love here and is often a forgotten prospect.

After a long layoff with surgery, he starts the year with 5pts in 2 games in the AHL, meanwhile the B-Bruins have really struggled.

IMO, he should be called up to Boston ASAP and DeBrusk or another kid should be sent down and told to try and dominate the AHL first before coming back up.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Going tonight with a bunch of my buds so I'll have seen him live twice in 8 days

He was a beast last week.

In a nut shell if he plays well tonight and the Bruins struggle in the desert I would bring him up and go with a Czech line. I think that line could take off like Wheeler-Krejci- Ryder did in 2008.

As for DeBrusk he impresses me.

The two vets without the deep resumes who would be the first to be bumped from any life boat are Spooner and Beleskey.

Cassidy may saber rattle but unless these two are going well he would start there - long term I don't see it

my Cassidy reshuffled November lineup

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Cehlarik-Krejci-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Kuraly-Backes
Vatrano-Nash-Heinen

Third line can grind and play D and swapping DeBrusk for Acciari is an upgrade offensively. That line owned the Senators in the playoffs as their D couldn't handle the forecheck and size

The fourth line has skill and good speed. Vatrano has played well early on and Heinen if given a chance will be good.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like your post Colt but I do/will disagree that the kid "gets little love here", truthfully, from what I have read about him most here agree with you that he will be/should be with the big club. Bjork and DeBrusk are the sexy prospects here clearly but I haven`t read too many fans here who didn`t like what they saw in PC`s short stint in Boston last year.

I think had he had a full training camp, could very well have started the year with the big club. I`ll bet we see him soon. I don`t have the advantage like many here to see the PB games so I can`t comment on how he`s looked early on there, appears to be putting up the pts which is a positive

Reactions: Blowfish

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like your post Colt but I do/will disagree that the kid "gets little love here", truthfully, from what I have read about him most here agree with you that he will be/should be with the big club. Bjork and DeBrusk are the sexy prospects here clearly but I haven`t read too many fans here who didn`t like what they saw in PC`s short stint in Boston last year.

I think had he had a full training camp, could very well have started the year with the big club. I`ll bet we see him soon. I don`t have the advantage like many here to see the PB games so I can`t comment on how he`s looked early on there, appears to be putting up the pts which is a positive
Yah he gets a lot of love - I'm actually getting sick about hearing about him from my hockey posse

They act like he's going to be Dave Andreychuk redux

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yah he gets a lot of love - I'm actually getting sick about hearing about him from my hockey posse

They act like he's going to be Dave Andreychuk redux

Wish I had a posse, I`d take a 1300+ pt career, as long as it was all with the B`s

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Wish I had a posse, I`d take a 1300+ pt career, as long as it was all with the B`s
Dog, Ideal car, season tickets, 50" + TV, posse made up of much more skilled and smarter friends, surround yourself with bright patient women

I got it all checked off (since I can't change a light bulb or barely dress myself the last two are vital)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I think the only reason Cehlarik got a little less “love” was because he was injured and missed the AHL playoffs last year and then missed all of the preseason this year. If he keeps producing in the AHL he will be up in short order, as the B’s coaches seem to really like him.

Reactions: Blowfish

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
He was up and was doing everything right on the ice. He just could not score and looked soft on the puck. He "looked" good i grant you with the eye test. But the finish is a very important part. I will take another look, just bury a few and make your case.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Oh I give him plenty of love ....lol . He's lost behind a bunch of new shiny toys. My first time watching him live was in Buffalo prospects challenge and he was by far the best player on the ice. His time with Krejci and Pasta was short but during that time the team went on a major winning streak. Many of us so his slick passing and calmness to . his game. I had him #3 behind McAvoy and Bjork in our prospect rankings. Hope to see him called up next week. Nice to see him finally getting some respect.

Reactions: Strafer

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't see anything wrong with being a fan of this kid... but its a numbers game right now. did he do more than Bjork or debrusk to get a chance today? how many kids can we look at one time before its too many kids being looked at??

if you want to see what happens when your entire lineup is kids look at organizations like buffalo and Arizona and until recently Edmonton for your answer.

eventually 2-3 of our current group of kid forwards will become mainstays on the team.. maybe 4 at the outside.. and a lot of others will have to be dealt.

we can look at history... some of the greatest collections of kids... like colordo when they had those 3 first overall picks in a roll. they needed to trade away all of Lindros/sundin/Nolan to make it work... but they found their keepers in sakic/Forsberg/drury and company...and then they had to find the right vets to add the stability they needed. that islander team of trottier/bossy went through the same thing... trading away the young and talented billy harris to bring in the grizzled vet butch goring because you cant have too many kids around

will ceherik be the guy that outplays Bjork or debrusk to get a spot? sure... I think he might... but theres at least 7 kids in the system right now that I can see becoming fixtures on our big team and reality tells me that there wont be room for all of them to make it

its a numbers/waiting game right now to see who shakes out

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't see anything wrong with being a fan of this kid... but its a numbers game right now. did he do more than Bjork or debrusk to get a chance today? how many kids can we look at one time before its too many kids being looked at??

if you want to see what happens when your entire lineup is kids look at organizations like buffalo and Arizona and until recently Edmonton for your answer.

eventually 2-3 of our current group of kid forwards will become mainstays on the team.. maybe 4 at the outside.. and a lot of others will have to be dealt.

we can look at history... some of the greatest collections of kids... like colordo when they had those 3 first overall picks in a roll. they needed to trade away all of Lindros/sundin/Nolan to make it work... but they found their keepers in sakic/Forsberg/drury and company...and then they had to find the right vets to add the stability they needed. that islander team of trottier/bossy went through the same thing... trading away the young and talented billy harris to bring in the grizzled vet butch goring because you cant have too many kids around

will ceherik be the guy that outplays Bjork or debrusk to get a spot? sure... I think he might... but theres at least 7 kids in the system right now that I can see becoming fixtures on our big team and reality tells me that there wont be room for all of them to make it

its a numbers/waiting game right now to see who shakes out

Cehlarik not playing has more to do with him getting his conditioning and timing back. He will be called up soon. Who sits will be interesting. Hoping it's Beleskey or Schaller.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He was up and was doing everything right on the ice. He just could not score and looked soft on the puck. He "looked" good i grant you with the eye test. But the finish is a very important part. I will take another look, just bury a few and make your case.

He had 2 very nice goals called back due video recall. Someone was over the line a 1 mm.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I disagree. For a guy that did very little with the opportunity he got last year, I think he gets more love and attention than he should. He's young and there's plenty of room for growth, but he didn't contribute in a meaningful way in the short stint he got. Now he's got to earn his spot back from young guys that have passed him on the depth chart.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I disagree. For a guy that did very little with the opportunity he got last year, I think he gets more love and attention than he should. He's young and there's plenty of room for growth, but he didn't contribute in a meaningful way in the short stint he got. Now he's got to earn his spot back from young guys that have passed him on the depth chart.

Sorry but totally disagree with this post. He did well playing with Pasta/Krej in fact that was the best Pasta/Krejci played all season. Coinkydink?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Dog, Ideal car, season tickets, 50" + TV, posse made up of much more skilled and smarter friends, surround yourself with bright patient women

I got it all checked off (since I can't change a light bulb or barely dress myself the last two are vital)

classic, I got the bright patient woman thing covered

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I liked some things he did, didn`t look overwhelmed but did look like a young player who could use some more development time and that`s completely ok, he`ll get his callup this year I`ll guess

Reactions: LSCII

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cehlarik not playing has more to do with him getting his conditioning and timing back. He will be called up soon. Who sits will be interesting. Hoping it's Beleskey or Schaller.

It would almost have to be one of DeBrusk or Bjork going down to Providence to make room. As such I think the Bruins are doing the right thing. I want those guys to get a reasonable chance, give them 8 games before giving up on them

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sorry but totally disagree with this post. He did well playing with Pasta/Krej in fact that was the best Pasta/Krejci played all season. Coinkydink?

Yeah, I think it was. The guy had some holes in his game he needs to tighten up. For example, I didn't like how frequently he turned the puck over for one. Now that being said, he's young and has plenty of upside. So I'm not down on him, but want to see him make some strides.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Cehlarik had another stellar providence game

1 goal and 2 assist...Bruins win 3-2

his line is on fire (Cehlarik, JFK, Agostini)

why not bring lineup and see what it can do at the NHL level

can't be much worst than what Spooner line is doing

Reactions: Number8 and Strafer

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I like Cehlarik's game a lot, tall, rangy, smart. He seems to be putting it together in the AHL along with Agostino. This is the same kid that caught a skate in the throat during a playoff game in Sweden 2 years ago and helped set up the winner when he came back after getting 15 stitches.
Cehlarik didn't first notice how bad it was, but after seeing the towel he'd pressed against his neck, he realized how bad it really was.
Here's a picture of the aftermath, taken from Aftonbladet. It's not the nicest picture you'll see all day. Any kid that comes back to the ice after
that and lays it on the line to help his team win, has ' IT ' in my books.
lule231234.0.jpg

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I like Cehlarik's game a lot, tall, rangy, smart. He seems to be putting it together in the AHL along with Agostino. This is the same kid that caught a skate in the throat during a playoff game in Sweden 2 years ago and helped set up the winner when he came back after getting 15 stitches.
Cehlarik didn't first notice how bad it was, but after seeing the towel he'd pressed against his neck, he realized how bad it really was.
Here's a picture of the aftermath, taken from Aftonbladet. It's not the nicest picture you'll see all day. Any kid that comes back to the ice after
lule231234.0.jpg

Scary. Same thing happen to Lauzon

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
lule231234.0.jpg
WOW, very impressed with this kid. Last season he came up and made a difference. He made a wing to wing pass that saucered over 2 or opposing forwards and I think it was Krejci who put it home. IIRC my wife and I went to a B's preseason game and then a Providence game and he stood out in every respect. My wife isn't a hockey aficionado but she kept mentioning him (called him "celery") said that he was the best player on the ice, and that he stands out in every play. When he turned the puck over he dogged the guy intensively until he retrieved it or in some way tried to redeem himself. IMO he sustained whatever injury it was that he needed surgery for while here and then he tried to just keep playing but he couldn't regain the level of play that he was at prior to the injury.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Scary. Same thing happen to Lauzon
It built character in them both. Lauzon eventually came back in the Memorials and played great. I cannot remember if Cehlarik scored in OT or set up the goal to win it for his team, after just turning 20 mind you. Combine this with DeBrusk and his injury to the nether region and coming back, shows they drafted character. Unlike Subban who never recovered, I think PK got all the initiative and drive in the family.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Yeah, I think it was. The guy had some holes in his game he needs to tighten up. For example, I didn't like how frequently he turned the puck over for one. Now that being said, he's young and has plenty of upside. So I'm not down on him, but want to see him make some strides.

Good observation he was a little careless with some of his passing...

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad