Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik - III

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Cehlarik cleared and I want to reiterate just how big of a ripple effect that could have in Providence.

The Bruins can now have Lauko, Carey, Cehlarik and Fitzgerald as the L1-L4 LW, which is just absurd.

By my count, Providence has: Studnicka, Steen, Bjork, Cehlarik, Fitzgerald, Gaunce, Senyshyn, Hughes, Frederic, Carey and Lauko, 11 players, for nine possible spots in the top-nine. That is just ridiculous.

Having high-end talent spread on not only L1-L3, but spilling into L4 or the bench, is an extremely nice problem to have. Especially those who have been requesting an uptick in production from certain prospects like Senyshyn. This lineup in Providence is gong to be a really, really fun time to watch.

Hoping Cehlarik doesn't take up a good developmental spot and they stick him on the 4th line

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Welp. Cehlarik has his work cut out for him.
Now he has to work his way up the lineup and get managements attention again on a stacked AHL team. Hopefully they have a good year and go far, maybe the playoff run will wake some some guys up.

I wonder if clearing waives will weigh on him. You gotta think he was hoping someone would give him a shot outside of Boston.

I can't imagine that not one team in the entire league wanted you for free as a 12th-14th f feels really good.

BruinsNetwork

I'd be staring at the wall for quite awhile myself....

Yet 22-year-old Daniel Sprong, who scored 14-goals in 63GP in the NHL last season, didn't get claimed and cleared waivers. Trust me, Cehlarik and other players on waivers aren't questioning themselves when they don't get claimed. Actually, I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of these prospects aren't even aware of how waivers work, to be honest.

Reactions: Blowfish

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yet 22-year-old Daniel Sprong, who scored 14-goals in 63GP in the NHL last season, didn't get claimed and cleared waivers. Trust me, Cehlarik and other players on waivers aren't questioning themselves when they don't get claimed. Actually, I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of these prospects aren't even aware of how waivers work, to be honest.

he can say to himself, Sprong and Ho-Sang are known head cases. As far as not knowing how they work, the realization of the matter is 30 teams passed on him for free, saying to him, you're not good enough for the NHL. That has to be a tough pill to swallow. Some use it as motivation for sure, so we will see

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I dont know... im pretty stupid but even I could figure out the difference between nhl minimum salary and a typical ahl contract. if I hear the coach keep telling me what I need to do to play in the nhl and somehow I cant quite manage... even though my friends and family and some of the fans are saying I have what it takes...

ive never been an nhl player... but I think id be quite bummed out going back to ahl. I wasnt bigtime friends with len esau… but I went to school with him. he ended up getting to the nhl for a cup of tea. he sacrificed his childhood just as much as any kid who had a long career in the nhl. len never told me he regretted his sacrafices but I think it was obvious he was very frustrated being basically an ahl allstar and never being able to break into the lineup fulltime with Edmonton/Quebec/Calgary who he was able to play some with...

im not really sure it would help me if someone said Daniel sprong or sven bartchi cleared waivers too

might be time for a guy like cehlarik to start considering his options in Europe next year if there is a chance to make some money there

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
he can say to himself, Sprong and Ho-Sang are known head cases. As far as not knowing how they work, the realization of the matter is 30 teams passed on him for free, saying to him, you're not good enough for the NHL. That has to be a tough pill to swallow. Some use it as motivation for sure, so we will see

Not sure this is fair. I feel it's pretty rare for a team to claim a guy right before the first game when teams are sending the on-the-cusp guys down. I dont know if it is some type of gentleman's agreement or what.

How many guys have been claimed in the past few days?

I'm willing to bet he'd get claimed if waived even a few weeks from now.

BruinsNetwork

Because Peter Cehlarik is most certainly reading hockey twitter and HFB each day, keeping up with other prospects being "known head cases?" Come on, Lou.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
"There's no way Cehlarik does not get claimed. He is an NHLer."

-Cehlarik does not get claimed-

"There is no way Cehlarik does not get claimed two weeks from now...."

Reactions: LouJersey

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If they mutually agreed to it or if he really wanted out that badly, then I'm sure he could. Don't think that will be the case though, to be honest. He's put in a lot of work over here and Providence loves to have him around. He got kind of snubbed in Boston, IMO, but an unfortunate injury didn't help this time around in preseason. He should be one of the first call-ups from Providence, but by the same token, I could see him being traded or swapped with another team somewhere if he clears waivers.

If he clears, I don't think Boston will be quick to trade him unless there's a deal that can't be passed up, to be honest. He'll be extremely valuable in Providence and make a ripple effect in the lineup that will add even more talent and production to these young, high-end prospects.
Thanks for the post. Never quite sure what PC has done to warrant the slagging off that some around here give him.

Reactions: Blowfish and maxl7

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Because Peter Cehlarik is most certainly reading hockey twitter and HFB each day, keeping up with other prospects being "known head cases?" Come on, Lou.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they know what the story is with players, especially since I'm sure he looked at who else got waived, but maybe he was just oblivious I'm sure. Better chance of that then him not really knowing what the waiver process is, no? Do you really think a professional hockey player isn't even aware of how waivers really works?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Yeah I'm pretty sure they know what the story is with players, especially since I'm sure he looked at who else got waived, but maybe he was just oblivious I'm sure. Better chance of that then him not really knowing what the waiver process is, no? Do you really think a professional hockey player isn't even aware of how waivers really works?

Considering Cehlariks career situation I am darn willing to bet he knows exactly what is going on. If he is smart he is NOT reading this or any message board OR social media regarding himself. That will get in your head in a bad way 100% of the time.

Was there not an srticle 2 years ago about Cehlarik not making the team out of camp and getting depressed over it so much that he got benched in Providence? It took him a few months of getting talked to by the coaches to get him out of it and back on track. They had him on the 3rd line then also.

You want me to believe that wont affect him now either, or that he is not even aware of all this?

Dealing with 100% speculation here as noone knows Cehlariks mind other than Cehlarik. But you have an uphill battle convincing me he is not phased by all this.

Again, if I am him I am already looking at other options. This is his LAST chance with Boston, his contract is up this year. He DID NOT make the team in the last camp of his contract.
Thatsvery bad for anyone who wants to have a career in the NHL.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Cehlarik is making decent money in the AHL this year, worst case for him is he plays it out and heads to the KHL

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Not sure this is fair. I feel it's pretty rare for a team to claim a guy right before the first game when teams are sending the on-the-cusp guys down. I dont know if it is some type of gentleman's agreement or what.

How many guys have been claimed in the past few days?

I'm willing to bet he'd get claimed if waived even a few weeks from now.

Generally speaking, there is kind of an unwritten rule that you don't grab guys off the waiver wire in late September - first week in October (start of the season). But it does happen

2018 - 7 players were taken off the waiver wire
2017 - 0 players taken
2016 - 2 players taken
2015 - 1 player taken
2014 - 5 players taken,

Once the season starts and teams try sending players down, that's when the action picks up

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Generally speaking, there is kind of an unwritten rule that you don't grab guys off the waiver wire in late September - first week in October (start of the season). But it does happen

2017 - 0 players taken
2016 - 2 players taken
2015 - 1 player taken
2014 - 5 players taken,

Once the season starts and teams try sending players down, that's when the action picks up

Isn't it also that teams are pretty set with their rosters and wouldn't necessarily want to put a claim in on someone, if it meant they had to end up exposing someone themselves to waivers who they didn't want to lose.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Isn't it also that teams are pretty set with their rosters and wouldn't necessarily want to put a claim in on someone, if it meant they had to end up exposing someone themselves to waivers who they didn't want to lose.

I'd think if there was a player worth claiming, he is probably worth more than your least valuable player.

Reactions: TCB

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

2017 - 0 players taken
2016 - 2 players taken
2015 - 1 player taken
2014 - 5 players taken,

for me if a guy is a clear improvement you MUST make the claim... i remember tim taylor and that was quite a grab for us. but the reality is that most waiver guys are very very very very comparable to the ones you are sending down yourself. if theres 700 guys in the nhl and then maybe 50-60 tough choices to send down... we are really discussing the difference between guys 650-and-750 in terms of talent for the nhl…

its rare that a potential difference maker would end up on waivers... and usually you have your own guys who you actually were thinking of trying in the nhl anyhow

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

we think alike and I think you make the point better... if the new guy is that marginally better than the guy you are shipping out... why make them uproot and move? if you cant guarantee the waiver claim a long term job that is worth it... why bother? I think its very rare when a waiver wire guy would have an honest chance on your team to better his situation

Reactions: TCB

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
for me if a guy is a clear improvement you MUST make the claim... i remember tim taylor and that was quite a grab for us. but the reality is that most waiver guys are very very very very comparable to the ones you are sending down yourself. if theres 700 guys in the nhl and then maybe 50-60 tough choices to send down... we are really discussing the difference between guys 650-and-750 in terms of talent for the nhl…

its rare that a potential difference maker would end up on waivers... and usually you have your own guys who you actually were thinking of trying in the nhl anyhow

The number of waiver claims drastically increase after the initial pre-season season waiver wire until the end of October.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Cehlarik cleared and I want to reiterate just how big of a ripple effect that could have in Providence.

The Bruins can now have Lauko, Carey, Cehlarik and Fitzgerald as the L1-L4 LW, which is just absurd.

By my count, Providence has: Studnicka, Steen, Bjork, Cehlarik, Fitzgerald, Gaunce, Senyshyn, Hughes, Frederic, Carey and Lauko, 11 players, for nine possible spots in the top-nine. That is just ridiculous.

Having high-end talent spread on not only L1-L3, but spilling into L4 or the bench, is an extremely nice problem to have. Especially those who have been requesting an uptick in production from certain prospects like Senyshyn. This lineup in Providence is gong to be a really, really fun time to watch.

This is extraordinary. For too many seasons the Providence line-up has included too many second or third rate prospects, along with some career AHL players. Almost all the talented forwards you listed are Bruins draft picks. Few spots are wasted in the development pipeline, highlighting solid drafting in the organization.

The situation on defense is similar, with talented prospects including Vaakanainen, Zboril, Lauzon and possibly Clifton (if Miller replaces him in Boston) and Zech (if the Bruins sign him).

Providence should indeed be good this season. My only concern is in goal. Will Lagace and Vladar be up to the standard of play we should see from the skaters? Perhaps Keyser will grab a spot if they falter.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
All in all and generally speaking there is competition for every position within the baby bs and the Bruins. It’s a good thing.

You’re going to have to earn your paycheck or there will be another player breathing down your neck to take your higher spot away from you. Good problem to have for the team.

Reactions: Blowfish and TCB

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Heinen is as steady as it gets in the bottom 6. How can you not include him?

Also, Frederic did not lose his value and I'm pretty sure the Schenn to Boston stuff was before he even played in the NHL.

The bolded is true for your whole post. Not just about Wagner.

How’s Heinen steady his season last year on the heels of 47 points was terrible until he got bumped to the first line he was as culpable as Donato. Clearly 3rd best player on the line in the playoffs.

He’s a legit NHLer with offense on a reasonable deal for 2 years. That’s it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad