Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik - III

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Signed for another season. Is this his last chance to crack Bruins roster? Who are his top rivals he should beat to earn a roster spot?
Heinen could move to the right side where in the past he's been pretty successful
Debrusk could move too I would need to see a breakdown of his stats left vs right side,the eye test tells me keep him on the left
I wouldn't mind trying Cehlarik Coyle and Kuhlman,Senyshyn, Ritchie, Heinen Lindholm I'm up for all of it

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Signed for another season. Is this his last chance to crack Bruins roster? Who are his top rivals he should beat to earn a roster spot?

I don't think its his last chance, but the competition grows year after year. You figure right now these guys are locked in barring a trade or injury

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - ???
??? - Coyle - Heinen
Nordstrom - Kuraly - Wagner

*I put Heinen on the RW but he could slide to LW too

Now I'd say even the 4th line is not 100% safe outside of Kuraly, but Cehlarik isn't really a 4th line type of guy. So in that middle six you probably have the following guys trying to earn these two spots:

Backes
Ritchie
Lindholm
Gaunce
Kuhlman
Studnicka
Senyshyn
Bjork
Frederic
Steen
Lauko

Now Luako and Steen I think are long shot/dark horses. Bjork is coming off another shoulder injury and probably needs some TOI in the AHL. So there are probably 8 other guys that Cehlarik will be trying to battle with.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Heinen could move to the right side where in the past he's been pretty successful
Debrusk could move too I would need to see a breakdown of his stats left vs right side,the eye test tells me keep him on the left
I wouldn't mind trying Cehlarik Coyle and Kuhlman,Senyshyn, Ritchie, Heinen Lindholm I'm up for all of it

Ya I feel like he wasn't as effective on the right side. When Cehlarik first came up I believe they moved DeBrusk to the right side and in 10 games he had 0G/2A.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Ya I feel like he wasn't as effective on the right side. When Cehlarik first came up I believe they moved DeBrusk to the right side and in 10 games he had 0G/2A.

Yeah, I agree. I think he has a legitimate shot at 3LW. But he is not only going to have to show he can produce there, but that he can give consistent effort game after game. I think thatshis biggest knock on him at the NHL level that I saw last season. Several of our Providence call-ups were good for a game or two, then fizzled.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yeah, I agree. I think he has a legitimate shot at 3LW. But he is not only going to have to show he can produce there, but that he can give consistent effort game after game. I think thatshis biggest knock on him at the NHL level that I saw last season. Several of our Providence call-ups were good for a game or two, then fizzled.

Would agree on the consistency part. Thought this was kind of interesting, if you look at Cehlarik's game logs, 6 of his 10 career points have come in the first 3 games after a call up.

'16-'17: 3GP / 0G / 2A
'17-'18: 3GP / 1G / 0A
'18-'19: 3GP / 2G / 1A

Now after those 3 games....

'16-'17: 14GP / 1G / 1A
'17-'18: 3GP / 0G / 1A
'18-'19: 17GP / 2G / 1A

I think a line of Cehlarik - Coyle - Heinen could be interesting. Coyle/Heinen are good possession guys and Cehlarik is good along the boards (when he wants to be). The downfall is IDK that there is really any "shooter" on the line lol.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Would agree on the consistency part. Thought this was kind of interesting, if you look at Cehlarik's game logs, 6 of his 10 career points have come in the first 3 games after a call up.

'16-'17: 3GP / 0G / 2A
'17-'18: 3GP / 1G / 0A
'18-'19: 3GP / 2G / 1A

Now after those 3 games....

'16-'17: 14GP / 1G / 1A
'17-'18: 3GP / 0G / 1A
'18-'19: 17GP / 2G / 1A

I think a line of Cehlarik - Coyle - Heinen could be interesting. Coyle/Heinen are good possession guys and Cehlarik is good along the boards (when he wants to be). The downfall is IDK that there is really any "shooter" on the line lol.

Agreed, but who is a shooter we CAN put on that line? Not convinced Senny is enough of a triggerman at this point to warrant his election over Cehlarik. Don't think any of our new acquisitions fill that need as well. I kinda expect a Heinen/Coyle/Ritchie line to be tested quite thoroughly throughout the first 2 months of the season. Though I could see Cehlarik replacing Heinen if he gets put in the top 6.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't think its his last chance, but the competition grows year after year. You figure right now these guys are locked in barring a trade or injury

DeBrusk - Krejci - ???
??? - Coyle - Heinen

*I put Heinen on the RW but he could slide to LW too

Now I'd say even the 4th line is not 100% safe outside of Kuraly, but Cehlarik isn't really a 4th line type of guy. So in that middle six you probably have the following guys trying to earn these two spots:

Backes
Ritchie
Lindholm
Gaunce
Kuhlman
Studnicka
Senyshyn
Bjork
Frederic
Steen
Lauko

Now Luako and Steen I think are long shot/dark horses. Bjork is coming off another shoulder injury and probably needs some TOI in the AHL. So there are probably 8 other guys that Cehlarik will be trying to battle with.

Gaunce? Where did he come
From lol. Did I miss something.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
If he gets his opportunity, hopefully he makes the most of it because otherwise he'll be claimed on waivers.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
DeBrusk - Krejci - ???
Heinen- Coyle - ???

Battle for two spots barring a trade:Bjork/Studnicka/Senyshyn/Cehlarik
Ritchie- 4th line
Lindholm- 4th line
Frederic- AHL ( center call -up)
Gaunce - AHL
Steen-AHL
Lauko-AHL
Backes- liked moved before the year starts

Last edited:

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Agreed, but who is a shooter we CAN put on that line? Not convinced Senny is enough of a triggerman at this point to warrant his election over Cehlarik. Don't think any of our new acquisitions fill that need as well. I kinda expect a Heinen/Coyle/Ritchie line to be tested quite thoroughly throughout the first 2 months of the season. Though I could see Cehlarik replacing Heinen if he gets put in the top 6.

Gotta think that Seny takes the 2RW spot out of camp unless he is totally flat and lost. He was drafted as a shooter, was he not? Run him and tell him to rifle is everytime, then JD for front of net rebounds/tips.

Reactions: Estlin

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Battle for two spots barring a trade:Bjork/Studnicka/Senyshyn/Cehlarik
Ritchie- 4th line
Lindholm- 4th line
Frederic- AHL ( center call -up)
Gaunce - AHL
Steen-AHL
Lauko-AHL
Backes- liked moved before the year starts

I think that's more or less how it will be (my money is on Bjork and Senyshyn taking the two available wing spots). Backes, unfortunately, will probably still be with the organization, either as a 13th/14th forward or in Providence.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Gotta think that Seny takes the 2RW spot out of camp unless he is totally flat and lost. He was drafted as a shooter, was he not? Run him and tell him to rifle is everytime, then JD for front of net rebounds/tips.

I think kuhlman has the inside track at the 2RW. He played very well in his short stint on that line in the regular season and as well in the playoffs.

Reactions: pemulis

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Modifying remer's post:

DeBrusk - Krejci - ???
Heinen- Coyle - ???
???

Battle for three spots barring a trade:

1-way contracts: Lindholm, Ritchie, Backes
Not waiver eligible: Cehlarik
Waiver eligible: Kuhlman/Bjork/Senyshyn/Studnicka/Frederic
Veterans on 2-way contracts: Gaunce, et al

Everyone's math is correct, assuming good health (knock on wood) there are ~ 2 too many 4th liners. But if they keep the Ritchies of the world out of the top 9, there are two spots open, one for Cehlarik, one for a waiver eligible player.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Cehlarik has never been particularly outstanding at any level he's ever played at. His best campaign anywhere was reaching 20 goals in Providence, which doesn't scream grand potential for an NHL career.

He's 24 and hasn't really stuck at the NHL level, and that includes significant time riding Krejci's wing when he was in Boston. I just don't see it coming together with this guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad