Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik - III

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
I remember there was an interesting article with his countryman Boris Valabik, a former Thrashers player, a year ago. A lot was discussed about why the young slovak players don't make it out of camps and their experience when they come to the camp in US/Canada for the first time.

"It's a huge shock for them. The intensity of the training and the attention to the detail that is suddenly required from them. What they thought was hockey in Europe is not the same there. In America, it is taken quite differently, in more details, more intensively."

One of the question was also why Bakos got injured during the Bruins preseason camp. His answer was self explaining:

"These injuries come due to the intensity of the workouts in the practice. The exercises are as intense as the regular game itself. Even if a players can manage one game, he can feel exhausted after just a week. Then the body can not handle it and gets hurt."

I think this could explain exactly why Cehlarik was never able so far to have a consistency in his game. After his call ups he would have a strong 2-3 games and then slowly fade away or had some kind of injury.
I guess this would also answer the reference by Cassidy of "has no NHL pace"during the camp in China last year. The coach saw it before we could see it.

In case anybody wanted a link to the article(in slovak):
Prečo Slováci končia už v kempoch NHL? Je to pre nich obrovský šok, vysvetľuje Valábik

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I remember there was an interesting article with his countryman Boris Valabik, a former Thrashers player, a year ago. A lot was discussed about why the young slovak players don't make it out of camps and their experience when they come to the camp in US/Canada for the first time.

"It's a huge shock for them. The intensity of the training and the attention to the detail that is suddenly required from them. What they thought was hockey in Europe is not the same there. In America, it is taken quite differently, in more details, more intensively."

One of the question was also why Bakos got injured during the Bruins preseason camp. His answer was self explaining:

"These injuries come due to the intensity of the workouts in the practice. The exercises are as intense as the regular game itself. Even if a players can manage one game, he can feel exhausted after just a week. Then the body can not handle it and gets hurt."

I think this could explain exactly why Cehlarik was never able so far to have a consistency in his game. After his call ups he would have a strong 2-3 games and then slowly fade away or had some kind of injury.
I guess this would also answer the reference by Cassidy of "has no NHL pace"during the camp in China last year. The coach saw it before we could see it.

Prečo Slováci končia už v kempoch NHL? Je to pre nich obrovský šok, vysvetľuje Valábik

Where is Bakos?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Ok, but Cehlarik came from Sweden, where he was 5 years. Then 3 seasons mostly in AHL. That is a looooot time to be accustomed.

Boris Valabik can speak, he is the Slovakian Done Cherry. But as with his Canadian counterpart, you mus good thing about things he say.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Almost word for word what I have said for a year and a half now :laugh:
great minds think......bah who am I kidding, just have never seen what many others here seem to think they see

Too bad but just think he`s one of many who`ll never put it all together to plant himself full time on an NHL roster

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
I haven't been able to watch at all this preseason. I've never thought much of him when he's been up with the team, but thought he'd at least draw into one of the last 2 games. Is it safe to assume he's played his last game with Boston? At this point, I'm not even sure I'd want him taking minutes down in Providence. He's not terrible, I do think there is a little bit of NHL talent in there somewhere. He's just not better than any of the NHL options at left wing, and the younger guys have far higher ceilings. Time to move on, and I think the Bruins are.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
today is the day. peter the great is on waivers. maybe he gets claimed, maybe he doesn't.
maybe he clears and gets traded for a similarly waived player. tomorrow may be the start
of a new chapter for mister cehlarik. we. shall. see. i'm gonna go get my popcorn :popcorn:

Reactions: LSCII

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
today is the day. peter the great is on waivers. maybe he gets claimed, maybe he doesn't.
maybe he clears and gets traded for a similarly waived player. tomorrow may be the start
of a new chapter for mister cehlarik. we. shall. see. i'm gonna go get my popcorn :popcorn:

I don't think he does get claimed.

There are exceptions to the rule, but this time of year there is kind of an unwritten rule not to grab players from the waiver wire. While it does happen, it's not the norm.

I'm more curious to see if someone grabs Josh Ho-Sang, the self proclaimed most talented player in his draft class, then I am to see if someone grabs Cehlarik.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I think Cehlarik would be pretty happy if someone picked him up. He's not going anywhere in this organization. Wrong place at the wrong time.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think Cehlarik would be pretty happy if someone picked him up. He's not going anywhere in this organization. Wrong place at the wrong time.
how is it a "wrong place at the wrong time" situation?

The guy had a prime opportunity playing regular shifts with Krejci & Pastrnak a couple years ago and didn't do enough to lock down that spot and then got outperformed by guys who broke into the NHL after him. Don't see this as a case of a guy being a victim of the numbers game at all. He had first crack at a top 6 spot & didn't win it. It's really all on him at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad