Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik - III

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Liked what I saw, again. Got on the board like Bruce asked. Now it's something else. I doubt the message he's trying to send is to the player.

Thought he played hard on the puck...more than normal. Not sure what Cassidy means about going to the net. He's always in those dangerous areas (front of net).

There isn't a love hate relationship with Cassidy/Cehlarik. That's for certain however I get what Cassidy wants and I saw Cehlarik for the most part doing that tonight.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Every time I see him play I think he could be better. Not sure what it is, just too much ‘hope this works’ in his game.

because he can, we see very brief glimpses of what could be when he`s playing engaged. Has very good vision, clearly some offensive talent, solid size but he just underwhelms, like you, there should be more to give I believe

Reactions: Blowfish

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
because he can, we see very brief glimpses of what could be when he`s playing engaged. Has very good vision, clearly some offensive talent, solid size but he just underwhelms, like you, there should be more to give I believe
It’s kinda like someone has told him there’s a 3 second clock on him where he has to get rid of the puck.

Might be a confidence thing. But if he could learn to rag it a bit, like Coyle or Krejci, he could be more effective. He certainly has the size to stick his ass out and play keep away.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It’s kinda like someone has told him there’s a 3 second clock on him where he has to get rid of the puck.

Might be a confidence thing. But if he could learn to rag it a bit, like Coyle or Krejci, he could be more effective. He certainly has the size to stick his ass out and play keep away.

yeah I don`t know, I have been rough on the guy but I think he`s earned it, many here post things which might lead a fair weather fan to think this guy is a top 6 lock and do I ever wish he was. To be able to fill that spot internally and doing so at a cost effective price tag would be great but he just shows a shift or two a game where he teases you, then I don`t even notice him. Can tell you one thing, for a guy looking for full time NHL duty, he does nothing to catch your eye and force the coaches hand to play him more

Reactions: easton117

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Bruce just doesn't like Cehlarik. That is beyond obvious. Last night Cehlarik played a good game. The Bs had two goals and Cehlarik had the lone assist on one of them. He is going to the boards. He is giving effort. He was the lone defender in the Wing's zone last night against two Wings with the puck, and he hustled and used his reach and angle to make an excellent defensive play to get an ozone draw for the Bs when the Wings were forced to pass back to Bernier. That was a play people here would be gushing about if Bergy was the one making it. Cehlarik also camped out in front of the crease a good amount of time and actually fought for and won position a good many times. Twice he snuck in on the far side of the crease and was there alone ready for an easy one-timer but his teammates didn't bother passing to him. The most obvious goal would have happened had a driving McAvoy bothered looking up instead of wristing a crappy low pct shot at Bernier rather than take the open passing lane and getting it to Cehlarik for a tap in. The idea that Cehlarik's so-called lack of speed is hurting the team is absurd. Someone needs to show me where his so-called lack of speed is leading to opposition goals, or is preventing him from gaining position in the ozone. Good luck, you can't. When he plays with skilled players he looks good. I have to wonder how much better he would look if he got 10 or 12 games with the same line, and without worrying about making a mistake and have Bruce do his usual Pavlovian response of sharply reducing his minutes or bench him when other players are contributing less and making more mistakes.

The bottom line is that Cehlarik, and a couple other players, would benefit greatly from being put with the same teammates for multiple games to develop chemistry. Bottom 9 players need this more than superstars, although even superstars can struggle when bounced all over the lineup. The Bs have struggled with 5x5 bottom 9 scoring for the past couple years. It was a huge part of costing them a Cup. That is partially on Bruce. He's a very good coach with a couple of bad blind spots. That's why I still believe he has a ceiling on actually winning a Cup (he has gotten a bit better, but if he doesn't make a couple changes in his approach he will never win a Cup -- take it to the bank). A kid like Cehlarik has done what he is supposed to at the AHL level (his coaches have spoken highly of his work ethic and skill) and at the NHL level has done pretty well with spot play and a stupid short leash from Cassidy.

On a more general level, Cassidy needs to get over himself and realize he needs more offense from his bottom 9. That comes from, for example, playing a skill player who doesn't hurt you defensively on the second/third line regularly rather than rotate fourth liners and scratch-quality players in and out of the 2RW and 3RW. He gets too clever and overthinks things in terms of the short game, rather than see big picture for the long game. It's f***ing ridiculous and will cost the Bs another Cup unless some stuff changes. I'm not counting on a near-perfect storm playoff run like last year setting up for the Bs. f***ing broken record, I realize that.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think the Cassidy can’t win a cup take is an absurd one but go off king. Would’ve won one last year if the first line decided to show up, that has nothing to do with his coaching ability

Cehlarik looked solid last night, that’s more than we can say about most of the team. I still don’t think he’s been all that good otherwise.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I think the Cassidy can’t win a cup take is an absurd one but go off king. Would’ve won one last year if the first line decided to show up, that has nothing to do with his coaching ability

Cehlarik looked solid last night, that’s more than we can say about most of the team. I still don’t think he’s been all that good otherwise.

That's my point. The first line is not going to show up and be heroic every game, and sometimes they will be neutralized. Happened in the playoffs in 2018 and happened again in 2019 when it counted. Development of offensive chemistry in the middle 6 is important for nights when the first line isn't playing all-world, or for when an injury occurs to a skill player. Musical chairs and personal whims throughout the regular season is a coaching issue when it fails to develop what is needed in terms of offensive chemistry and depth during a long playoff run. Bruce's ADHD decision making with lines and lineups isn't doing the first line any favors since it places undue pressure on that line to produce way more than its fair share.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The first line did not need to produce more than their fair share, they just needed to produce at all and they did not. That’s neither here nor there though

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The first line did not need to produce more than their fair share, they just needed to produce at all and they did not. That’s neither here nor there though
They can’t produce all the time. Right now they’re the guys in the group project that all the work while guys that do nothing get credit with an A as well.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bruce just doesn't like Cehlarik. That is beyond obvious. Last night Cehlarik played a good game. The Bs had two goals and Cehlarik had the lone assist on one of them. He is going to the boards. He is giving effort. He was the lone defender in the Wing's zone last night against two Wings with the puck, and he hustled and used his reach and angle to make an excellent defensive play to get an ozone draw for the Bs when the Wings were forced to pass back to Bernier. That was a play people here would be gushing about if Bergy was the one making it. Cehlarik also camped out in front of the crease a good amount of time and actually fought for and won position a good many times. Twice he snuck in on the far side of the crease and was there alone ready for an easy one-timer but his teammates didn't bother passing to him. The most obvious goal would have happened had a driving McAvoy bothered looking up instead of wristing a crappy low pct shot at Bernier rather than take the open passing lane and getting it to Cehlarik for a tap in. The idea that Cehlarik's so-called lack of speed is hurting the team is absurd. Someone needs to show me where his so-called lack of speed is leading to opposition goals, or is preventing him from gaining position in the ozone. Good luck, you can't. When he plays with skilled players he looks good. I have to wonder how much better he would look if he got 10 or 12 games with the same line, and without worrying about making a mistake and have Bruce do his usual Pavlovian response of sharply reducing his minutes or bench him when other players are contributing less and making more mistakes.

The bottom line is that Cehlarik, and a couple other players, would benefit greatly from being put with the same teammates for multiple games to develop chemistry. Bottom 9 players need this more than superstars, although even superstars can struggle when bounced all over the lineup. The Bs have struggled with 5x5 bottom 9 scoring for the past couple years. It was a huge part of costing them a Cup. That is partially on Bruce. He's a very good coach with a couple of bad blind spots. That's why I still believe he has a ceiling on actually winning a Cup (he has gotten a bit better, but if he doesn't make a couple changes in his approach he will never win a Cup -- take it to the bank). A kid like Cehlarik has done what he is supposed to at the AHL level (his coaches have spoken highly of his work ethic and skill) and at the NHL level has done pretty well with spot play and a stupid short leash from Cassidy.

On a more general level, Cassidy needs to get over himself and realize he needs more offense from his bottom 9. That comes from, for example, playing a skill player who doesn't hurt you defensively on the second/third line regularly rather than rotate fourth liners and scratch-quality players in and out of the 2RW and 3RW. He gets too clever and overthinks things in terms of the short game, rather than see big picture for the long game. It's ****ing ridiculous and will cost the Bs another Cup unless some stuff changes. I'm not counting on a near-perfect storm playoff run like last year setting up for the Bs. ****ing broken record, I realize that.

wow well done sir.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They can’t produce all the time. Right now they’re the guys in the group project that all the work while guys that do nothing get credit with an A as well.

They get paid to produce all the time. And again, they didn’t even need to produce a lot! They just had to do anything 5 on 5. Anything! But again that’s not what this thread is about

This thread is about an ok hockey player who doesn’t really fit in with the coach

Reactions: Mainehockey33

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i thought he had a good game.
kinda sick of cassidy tossing him under the bus all the time.

maybe toss #73 under the bus. the guy is supposed to be the next doughty and so far ive seen better offense and paas decisions from carlo.

BruinsNetwork

Just simply don't think the coach likes the style of game that this particular player brings. Don't think either of them are really at fault, it just isn't a good fit from what I can see. Cehlarik doesn't play like DeBrusk, Bjork, Heinen or Marchand. He doesn't have that "puck-hound" mentality that Cassidy loves. He does, however, have good patience, vision, playmaking capabilities and other skills though.

Not sure what the future holds for Cehlarik in this organization, but I honestly thought he was fine last night, despite there being a couple things left to be desired. For starters, thought he was great in the offensive zone and made a few subtle plays last night. On the contrary, thought he was lack-luster in his own end at times. Thought he was closing on players quicker and more efficiently than before, but he wasn't really making a play when finally closing on them. It was kind of weird to see, but I don't think he had a "bad" game.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Cehlarik not in morning rushes

I think we may have seen the last of him...as other forwards get healthy he gets pushed further down the depth chart and with what he has shown ( or hasn't ) I think his star has dimmed to the point it's about to blink out

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
didn't see the game on friday, but i've long thought cehlarik was destined to play elsewhere.
assume there's differing opinions on him within the organization (just like there are here).
but if the coach doesn't think he fits, i say move him along. cassidy isn't going anywhere
anytime soon.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
didn't see the game on friday, but i've long thought cehlarik was destined to play elsewhere.
assume there's differing opinions on him within the organization (just like there are here).
but if the coach doesn't think he fits, i say move him along. cassidy isn't going anywhere
anytime soon.

agreed. I see Gaunce next call up.
Is cehlarik waiver eligible or can he be claimed? I believe it was Dom mentioned that he wasn’t emergency call up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad