Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik - II

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Assuming no trade, when Pasta returns, who sits or gets sent down to Providence? Coolman had his best game vs. STL, and Cehlarik after a bad start played very well on his new line. Plus there's Nordstrom. I'm guessing Coolman.

I would say Kuhlman gets sent down. He'll be better off continuing to play big minutes in Providence and hopefully help them make the playoffs. Also, you know its Kuhlman, right? :laugh:

Reactions: Pomee

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I missed yesterday`s tilt but haven`t much liked PC`s game in recent weeks. Really encouraged with his first week or two here but seems to have lost something

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I missed yesterday`s tilt but haven`t much liked PC`s game in recent weeks. Really encouraged with his first week or two here but seems to have lost something

I am going to step out on a limb a bit and say he is playing a bit fearfully. He knows one mistake and he could be sitting, or maybe on a bus back to Providence. As much as I like what Cassidy has done with this team, I don't care for this aspect of it all. You watch Krug, Chara, Miller, Marchand, Pasta screw up all day long, doing things that are as bad or worse as anything Cehlarik does and not a peep. Cehlarik makes a stupid pass that leads to a high quality scoring chance, you're sitting a shift. Hard to perform with the confident freedom that allows people to excel at their pursuits with that kind of weight around their necks.

Last edited:
Reactions: kjpm and Pomee

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
thought that line looked night & day better with Cehlarik on it tonight than with Nordstrom against Tampa. They were buzzing big-time in the 1st and 2nd, then Cehlarik makes a couple mistakes & gets glued to the bench. I hope he can just work through it & stay in the lineup because he brings a skillset that line really needs while all Nordstrom brings is defense.

Ultimately when Pasta's back I think that line is gonna get a Debrusk, Mojo or Heinen on it anyway & Backes won't be sat long-term so Cehlarik's days are probably numbered anyway (at least this season.)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
thought that line looked night & day better with Cehlarik on it tonight than with Nordstrom against Tampa. They were buzzing big-time in the 1st and 2nd, then Cehlarik makes a couple mistakes & gets glued to the bench. I hope he can just work through it & stay in the lineup because he brings a skillset that line really needs while all Nordstrom brings is defense.

Ultimately when Pasta's back I think that line is gonna get a Debrusk, Mojo or Heinen on it anyway & Backes won't be sat long-term so Cehlarik's days are probably numbered anyway (at least this season.)

Looks like it

Cehlarik at this rate probably prays that Donny doesnt offer an extension after this season. Or trades him to a less restrictive system that better suits his needs

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/peter-cehlarik-hits-bench-getting-away-playing-bruins-way

Cassidy giving it to Cehlarik (benching)

Yikes... even adding extra mustard commenting about him being sent down/trade deadline etc.

Maybe they had an argument?

Can someone explain what Cehlarik screwed up so bad on?? I didnt catch it... end of 2nd on the defensive end?

Reading between the lines here, (and you really don’t have to dig that deep because Cassidy lays it out) it seems to be either an attitude or aptitude problem:

“He’s here in the NHL. He’s earned his right to be in the lineup. I think we’ve used him up in the lineup with [David] Krejci. We’ve used him with Charlie Coyle, two very good players,” said Bruce Cassidy, who said the benching was because of "his routes, responsibility away from the puck and managed it at the end of the second period in your own end."
“So I think at some point the responsibility falls on the player to be ready to play, and play the Bruins way. I thought he got away from that a little bit, so that’s it.

“Only he can answer whether he’s frustrated or [tired from] the travel. It’s certainly not the hour travel [from Providence]. Maybe the fact that he got sent down might have bothered him. I don’t know, I can’t answer that. We made some decisions at the deadline to – as much as for roster purposes than anything. We got past that. He got called up because he deserves to be here, and tonight we just made a decision to just cut back and use other people.”

Cassidy pretty much comes right out and says it. Either Cehlarik “isn’t getting it” or doesn’t want to.

Seems pretty clear to me

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/peter-cehlarik-hits-bench-getting-away-playing-bruins-way

Cassidy giving it to Cehlarik (benching)

Yikes... even adding extra mustard commenting about him being sent down/trade deadline etc.

Maybe they had an argument?

Can someone explain what Cehlarik screwed up so bad on?? I didnt catch it... end of 2nd on the defensive end?

i saw 2 plays

he tried chipping it by a devils player for a breakout and it got picked off at blueline. similar to his turnover in stl.

then he covered for grizz at the point and for some reason didnt stay with his guy and it led to a 2 on 1.

i didnt think he dederved the benching as the line was very good when he was in there.

Reactions: CDJ

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Looks like it

Cehlarik at this rate probably prays that Donny doesnt offer an extension after this season. Or trades him to a less restrictive system that better suits his needs
There aren’t too many systems that allow you to make egregious turnovers in terrible spots on the ice that lead to scoring chances. Kid has great hands but his overall game isn’t ready for this level.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I think if he made the opening night roster instead of Donato he would have played through some of this. You have to let young players do that. That being said I have no problem with him getting benched in a 1 goal game.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
he'll do well in edmonton where that stuff happens routinely and nobody cares
That’s a good point. It’s not just Cassidy. There is a veteran core in that locker room that isn’t going to put up with it.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
That’s a good point. It’s not just Cassidy. There is a veteran core in that locker room that isn’t going to put up with it.

i never got the feeling cehlarik was long for boston. there seems to be a lot of interest, so maybe b's can get
a high 3rd rounder for him before the draft. made sense to keep him around now in case they needed a
guy they can plug in, but seems likely there will be a mutual parting of ways this spring.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
i saw 2 plays

he tried chipping it by a devils player for a breakout and it got picked off at blueline. similar to his turnover in stl.

then he covered for grizz at the point and for some reason didnt stay with his guy and it led to a 2 on 1.

i didnt think he dederved the benching as the line was very good when he was in there.

Bingo.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’ve seen Jay leach quotes with the same criticism

It’s a consistent issue for him (turnovers, play away from the puck). He’s got size and skill but he won’t crack this lineup permanently if he doesn’t fix it

I’m cool with the benching.

It’s true, others on the team turn it over and don’t get punished. They don’t do it with nearly the consistency or recklessness Cehlarik does it with. Cehlarik is a human odd man rush generator for the other team. He’s not fast enough to get back into the play when he makes a bad read either

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I’ve seen Jay leach quotes with the same criticism

It’s a consistent issue for him (turnovers, play away from the puck). He’s got size and skill but he won’t crack this lineup permanently if he doesn’t fix it

I’ve been a Cehlarik booster since he first came up but he’s been given multiple chances to make the club and he keeps stepping into his own mess.

He’s tentative, then he shows flashes of what everyone gets excited about like he did early on last night, then he makes boneheaded plays like he did again last night and misses assignments.

I think the organization has been more than patient with him and tried to give him all the tools and guidance he needs to get better but to me he seems to be stuck in neutral.

Maybe he needs a change of scenery because his time here seems to be coming to a point where he’s losing favor with the brass

Reactions: OV, Alicat and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He (Coyle) did, but it wasn’t through a blatant neglect of his responsibilities and they weren’t brutal in the way that I wasn’t worried about any offense coming of them

Cehlarik turns it over and it’s always a 2-1 or 3-2

Reactions: veganbruin

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I’ve been a Cehlarik booster since he first came up but he’s been given multiple chances to make the club and he keeps stepping into his own mess.

He’s tentative, then he shows flashes of what everyone gets excited about like he did early on last night, then he makes boneheaded plays like he did again last night and misses assignments.

I think the organization has been more than patient with him and tried to give him all the tools and guidance he needs to get better but to me he seems to be stuck in neutral.

Maybe he needs a change of scenery because his time here seems to be coming to a point where he’s losing favor with the brass

On the team..many turn it over. Cehlarik lack of interest on the D end as well mediocre skating cant help him "cheat" his way back to prevent odd man rushes

It happens to Krug alot on the PP that leads to shorthanded opportunities

The issue is that you just cant have Cehlarik and Backes on the same line. Not enough speed to satisfy Cassidy 200 foot game need

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
On the team..many turn it over. Cehlarik lack of interest on the D end as well mediocre skating cant help him "cheat" his way back to prevent odd man rushes

It happens to Krug alot on the PP that leads to shorthanded opportunities

The issue is that you just cant have Cehlarik and Backes on the same line. Not enough speed to satisfy Cassidy 200 foot game need

Every player turns it over. It’s really a matter of when and where they do it that makes a difference. The issues I see with Cehlarik, is as you pointed out, skating, in addition to what I see is a troubling lack of confidence and awareness in some situations.

What’s even more troubling is that apparently these were/are issues in Providence as well.

The time has passed for this kid to keep teasing with what he supposedly can be, it’s time for him to be what he is and do it now

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Cehlarik imo is very much like Donato, Vatrano, Jeff Skinner

Offense comes 1st. And these type of players can "fit" with teams that emphasize in having a very mobile D core

Like another poster suggested worse case, trade Celery for a 3rd in the offseason

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Every player turns it over. It’s really a matter of when and where they do it that makes a difference. The issues I see with Cehlarik, is as you pointed out, skating, in addition to what I see is a troubling lack of confidence and awareness in some situations.

What’s even more troubling is that apparently these were/are issues in Providence as well.

The time has passed for this kid to keep teasing with what he supposedly can be, it’s time for him to be what he is and do it now

Not sure anymore

Like Donato, Vatrano... maybe its better to part ways

Sweeney also if you think about it doesnt draft these kind of players vs JFK, Frederic of the world.... these are grandfathered prospects from Chiarelli era

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad