Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik - II

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Not sure anymore

Like Donato, Vatrano... maybe its better to part ways

Sweeney also if you think about it doesnt draft these kind of players vs JFK, Frederic of the world.... these are grandfathered prospects from Chiarelli era

Very true. It’s clear the Bruins have a vision for the type of player they want under Sweeney. But nobody can say that guys like Cehlarik and Donato weren’t given fair shots either

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
That’s a good point. It’s not just Cassidy. There is a veteran core in that locker room that isn’t going to put up with it.

Please.
Watch just about any game, and you'll see the same mistakes he makes made by veterans that go unpunished.
He is making rookie mistakes, and yes more than other players. They yank him around, he has to be
on pins and needles when he on the ice. Sadly, I think it is too late in the season to settle him down and let him play, and even if Donny likes him, I think Cassidy does not, so I would guess he is gone.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I'm curious as to what some of you think an NHL 3rd liner is and who you expect to see them get for the money they have after they've blown through nearly all of their forwards who were approaching NHL ready.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Please.
Watch just about any game, and you'll see the same mistakes he makes made by veterans that go unpunished.
He is making rookie mistakes, and yes more than other players. They yank him around, he has to be
on pins and needles when he on the ice. Sadly, I think it is too late in the season to settle him down and let him play, and even if Donny likes him, I think Cassidy does not, so I would guess he is gone.

The problem is, he is doing little else out there in any zone and when he makes those mistakes they are amplified. I had 0 issues with his benching last night, he was awful, 2 separate occasions, 2 Devils literally skated by him with the puck and all he did was waive his stick at them, didn`t try to take an angle, or impede their progress, just waived at them.

I`ve said it here and elsewhere, his initial 6-7 games of his callup, he appeared to be a player who was driven to stay with the big club, worked hard in all 3 zones, was making things happen in the offensive zone. Since then, he`s been irrelevant, I noticed Kuhlman more and IMO, he`s the guy who should be in the lineup, busts his arse shift in and out. Might not have the natural skill of Cehlarik but still...

I want more from Cehlarik, I know it`s there, we have seen it, he can`t afford to let fellow AHL opponents skate by him like he did last night then takes a penalty, not a good recipe or argument to state your case for more ice time

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I'm curious as to what some of you think an NHL 3rd liner is and who you expect to see them get for the money they have after they've blown through nearly all of their forwards who were approaching NHL ready.

In this salary cap era, bottom 6 forwards are in great supply. Finding a good fit seems to be more important than filling a hole. For example, Colby Cave is maintaining his role as 3C in Edmonton.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
In this salary cap era, bottom 6 forwards are in great supply. Finding a good fit seems to be more important than filling a hole. For example, Colby Cave is maintaining his role as 3C in Edmonton.
well, a bit of a poor example, I`d wager someone on this board (not me) could fight for a spot on that lineup:laugh:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Please.

You just countered your own argument though. He’s not a rookie and makes more mistakes than he should out there. This is why he finds his rear end stapled to the bench

Reactions: OV

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Please.

There are 2 problems

He is inconsistent and makes Rookie Mistakes.

Despite some flash, etc. on the offensive end of the rink. He also has failed to produce anything on offense. He Has 10 points in 32 career games. He made a splash on his first weekend, but since then he has 3 points in 13 games.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Scoring covers a multitude of mistakes.

A lack of scoring multiplies them.
but it isn`t just scoring, he**, Heinen couldn`t hit the side of a barn all season until recent weeks and Butch, outside of a few games, kept sending him over the boards and why? He was still playing focused in other areas and wasn`t hurting the team in that manner. Cehlarik can do much better, the effort and focus of his first 6-7 games after being called up in compared to his game in recent weeks is night and day.

I wouldn`t be one bit shocked if there is a Kuhlman sighting for the next game

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
On the team..many turn it over. Cehlarik lack of interest on the D end as well mediocre skating cant help him "cheat" his way back to prevent odd man rushes

It happens to Krug alot on the PP that leads to shorthanded opportunities

The issue is that you just cant have Cehlarik and Backes on the same line. Not enough speed to satisfy Cassidy 200 foot game need

I wonder who's decision it was to put 2 subpar skaters on the same line and if it backfires to blame them.

The way I read Cassidy's quote is a frustration Cehlarik was not flipped for a proven top6 winger. I guess he thought he would not need to deal with him after the deadline. Also Donato's points outburst doesn't help to keep his coolness. The tension between Cehlarik and Cassidyy has been going for quite a while. Cassidy regularly swapped Cehlarik before being benched last 2 games with an another winger the last shifts in the 3rd period to protect the lead/tie. I think it's a bit immature to pick on a prospect who is just past 30 games at NHL in total. I would expect from a coach actually to try coach him instead of just punish him. If Cassidy wanted Lee freaking Stempniak (with the usuall bulls**it of giving us "a character guy with an experience") in the line up he could have saved us his drama and leave Cehlarik in Providence.

As for Cehlarik he is what he is. The line of Coyle Backes Cehlarik was dominant in a puck possession against STL and also Jersey. He plays a skilled game with a high risk/high reward style. Yes, that style is almost a guarantee for a turnovers however do we need another Nordstrom, Acciari or Wagner with no skill on this team?
What I don't understand is Cassidy had had enough patience with Pasta and his turnovers his first 2 seasons. Not having the same approach with other skilled prospect brings the thought that this is not only hockey related matter.

Reactions: rocketdan9

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Cehlarik imo is very much like Donato, Vatrano, Jeff Skinner

Offense comes 1st. And these type of players can "fit" with teams that emphasize in having a very mobile D core

Like another poster suggested worse case, trade Celery for a 3rd in the offseason

Jeff Skinner is nothing like the three other guys in this discussion.

He was a Top 10 pick.

Made the NHL at 18.

Scored 30 goals his rookie season.

Is a “plus” skater.

There is literally no comparison between them.

Pasta is definitely an “offense first” player and he’s fine in Boston’s system...because he produces. If you aren’t going to play D, you better be making up for it on the offensive end, and Cehlarik isn’t right now. In his defense, he’s gotten jerked around a bit this year. I would have preferred to see him in the team out of camp for a little larger sample size on what he can do. It will be interesting to see what happens this offseason with him and the B’s.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I wonder who's decision it was to put 2 subpar skaters on the same line and if it backfires to blame them.

The way I read Cassidy's quote is a frustration Cehlarik was not flipped for a proven top6 winger. I guess he thought he would not need to deal with him after the deadline. Also Donato's points outburst doesn't help to keep his coolness. The tension between Cehlarik and Cassidyy has been going for quite a while. Cassidy regularly swapped Cehlarik before being benched last 2 games with an another winger the last shifts in the 3rd period to protect the lead/tie. I think it's a bit immature to pick on a prospect who is just past 30 games at NHL in total. I would expect from a coach actually to try coach him instead of just punish him. If Cassidy wanted Lee freaking Stempniak (with the usuall bulls**it of giving us "a character guy with an experience") in the line up he could have saved us his drama and leave Cehlarik in Providence.

As for Cehlarik he is what he is. The line of Coyle Backes Cehlarik was dominant in a puck possession against STL and also Jersey. He plays a skilled game with a high risk/high reward style. Yes, that style is almost a guarantee for a turnovers however do we need another Nordstrom, Acciari or Wagner with no skill on this team?
What I don't understand is Cassidy had had enough patience with Pasta and his turnovers his first 2 seasons. Not having the same approach with other skilled prospect brings the thought that this is not only hockey related matter.

I think your assumption that this isn’t “only a hockey related matter” is very speculative.

Pasta and Cehlarik are two very different types of players and were in very different situations. One was a first round pick, 18/19, on the first year of his ELC, average size, but an excellent skater. The other is less heralded, older, bigger, a lot more experienced and needs to make up for his lack of speed with positioning and anticipation.

Lumping the two of them into the same category is disingenuous. Cassidy is obviously looking for certain things from Cehlarik that he’s not seeing. Let’s hope for the teams sake (and his) that he figures it out.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Jeff Skinner is nothing like the three other guys in this discussion.

He was a Top 10 pick.

Made the NHL at 18.

Scored 30 goals his rookie season.

Is a “plus” skater.

There is literally no comparison between them.

Pasta is definitely an “offense first” player and he’s fine in Boston’s system...because he produces. If you aren’t going to play D, you better be making up for it on the offensive end, and Cehlarik isn’t right now. In his defense, he’s gotten jerked around a bit this year. I would have preferred to see him in the team out of camp for a little larger sample size on what he can do. It will be interesting to see what happens this offseason with him and the B’s.

I disagree. Skinner is a good agility skater (spins etc). But straight line speed is decent not great

From what I have seen, he is not focused on defense and does not play a 200 foot game consistently.

Pasta is the same...but like Krug, they get a pass due to their consistent offensive output

For whatever reason Celly took a back seat to Donato and Bjork to start the season

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think your assumption that this isn’t “only a hockey related matter” is very speculative.

Pasta and Cehlarik are two very different types of players and were in very different situations. One was a first round pick, 18/19, on the first year of his ELC, average size, but an excellent skater. The other is less heralded, older, bigger, a lot more experienced and needs to make up for his lack of speed with positioning and anticipation.

Lumping the two of them into the same category is disingenuous. Cassidy is obviously looking for certain things from Cehlarik that he’s not seeing. Let’s hope for the teams sake (and his) that he figures it out.

Also Pasta can "cheat" his back on D, due to his fast skating

But Pasta at times frustrates the hell out of me....falling everywhere on the ice, like a ragdoll

Cehlarik doesn't do this and is strong along the boards. Yesterday on two occasions he protected the puck nicely

OVERALL Cassidy has no choice but to work with Cehlarik while Kuraly is out (protocol). Though this could soon end by Tuesday. Then I doubt Cehlarik will get another call up from there

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008

It is speculative on my part. Some of it was however in an article upon Cehlarik's call up back in January. At least that's what I understood from his interview for his local hometown newspapers.

I am not trying to compare Pasta to Cehlarik. Pasta's example was that he kept trying his high risk attempts despite causing turnovers. The message Cassidy is sending to Cehlarik is to play a zero mistake/low risk game. I just wonder why he makes such a fuss about it when he is not going to play him in the playoffs anyway.

Last edited:

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
We're in a ruthless race for home ice, you can't be giving away goals and losing any games because of it. He basically cost us a point in St. Louis. Call up Kuhlman.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
We're in a ruthless race for home ice, you can't be giving away goals and losing any games because of it. He basically cost us a point in St. Louis. Call up Kuhlman.

The game was decided on a shootout

can't blame a player losing 2-1 or even 0-1

blame the lack of offense

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
You just countered your own argument though. He’s not a rookie and makes more mistakes than he should out there. This is why he finds his rear end stapled to the bench
He's played like 32 games in the NHL over 2 seasons.
More than likely he won't amount to much more than a 3rd liner.
I know the B's are always fighting for the playoffs and one of the top spots in the league, so they don't
have the luxury of sending a guy out there to play and give him 20 games with out yanking him around, and
seeing what he's got.

Reactions: Chief Nine

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I disagree. Skinner is a good agility skater (spins etc). But straight line speed is decent not great

From what I have seen, he is not focused on defense and does not play a 200 foot game consistently.

Pasta is the same...but like Krug, they get a pass due to their consistent offensive output

For whatever reason Celly took a back seat to Donato and Bjork to start the season

I’m having a hard time with the fact that I’m having a conversation comparing Skinner and Pasta to Cehlarik.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
He's played like 32 games in the NHL over 2 seasons.
More than likely he won't amount to much more than a 3rd liner.
I know the B's are always fighting for the playoffs and one of the top spots in the league, so they don't
have the luxury of sending a guy out there to play and give him 20 games with out yanking him around, and
seeing what he's got.

And that’s what makes it harder for kids like him and Donato to crack a lineup that’s in this position. Nothing against either one, but in Cehlarik’s case he seems to be running out of time

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
His turnover was DIRECTLY to a goal, the Steen 2 on 1

well I do agree

But don't act like he is the only one doing this....players make mistakes

Debrusk one handed attempt to clear the zone, resulted in a goal vs Tampa

Marchand/Pasta have handful of mistakes that has led to goals

Krug probably leads the team where turnover has led to goals

Cehlarik definitely has hiccups once in a while but he also helps generate lots of chances on the offensive zone

Coyle line looks night and day these days with Celly on the third line vs Nordstrom/Backes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad