News Article: Pete DeBoer could be next coach of the leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I don't understand some peoples logic. We say "we suck at defense, our system sucks"

So rumor comes out of us getting a really good defensive/ puck posession team and people say "no he won't fit our team well"

So do people want Wilson's run and gun back?

There is no super coach out there.

We need a new coach, I doubt anyone says otherwise with much conviction. I'll take whatever coach we get because a/ I really don't think it matters with this team, and b/ it'll help expose this team and managements decisions regarding this team even more. That said, when you look at this team and NJ, do you really not see how they are built for puck retrieval more so than us? Elias and Zajac are ridiculous at getting the puck and keeping it. Add a guy like Jagr in and it's even more pronounced. Their problem wasn't defense like ours, it was offense, but they had a defense that could succeed playing that way. We don't. We have soft, individualistic forwards and dumb as rock defensemen. That won't change from this year to next. It just feels like this year we *****ed and moaned about no defense and next year we'll still lose games because now we can't score enough to win since you don't just play a defensive system, you also play an offensive one that suits your defense

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Firing Carlyle would be very stupid. Just last year people wanted him to be the Adams. They went through a bad stretch but it isn't Carlyles fault IMO. His system could be worked on, but I doubt a new coach would benefit this team long term.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Debs ain't bad really. He took an avg team to the cup. This year they had nobody and almost made the PO.

I think he may be the best choice if available.

The point I've been trying to make is that he is a good coach for those kind of circumstances, those kind of teams.

Coaches are not just good or bad, and if you replace a bad coach with a good the whole team gets instantly better. It doesn't work like that. They all have different ideas, different systems, different ways of handling individuals.

The trick is figuring out what kind of team Toronto is going to be going forward, look over the roster to make sure we've got the right personnel for it, and then find the coach that is the right fit for the collection of people and player types. Not the "best" coach individually, the one that fits what we need the most.

How did he mishandle him? His icetime is the exact same as Rielly this year and it was even higher the previous 2 years.

He was mishandled because he was benched as soon as he made a mistake, and sometimes he was benched and was left confused because he had no idea what he had done wrong. If you have a top prospect you give him the opportunity to succeed, and you keep a constant dialog to make sure they know what they do well and what they need to improve. This didn't happen with Larsson.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Firing Carlyle would be very stupid. Just last year people wanted him to be the Adams. They went through a bad stretch but it isn't Carlyles fault IMO. His system could be worked on, but I doubt a new coach would benefit this team long term.

I think there are very few coaches in the NHL who can go from one type of team to another and succeed. Carlyle isn't one them. His inability to come up with anything that played to this teams strengths and away from their weaknesses was his downfall. It isn't all on him though. These players aren't a good working group

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Elliotte Friedman of the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/CBC's+Hockey+Night+in+Canada/ID/2448757139/

- Peter DeBoer will most likely stay in New Jersey as the head coach of the Devils. He is negotiating a multi-year contract with the Devils.

- Dave Nonis will not become the new GM of the Calgary Flames.

- Brendan Shanahan will keep Nonis as GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs for now.

Last edited:

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
According to Elliotte Friedman of the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/CBC's+Hockey+Night+in+Canada/ID/2448757139/

- Peter DeBoer will most likely stay in New Jersey as the head coach of the Devils. He is negotiating a multi-year contract with the Devils.

- Dave Nonis will not become the new GM of the Calgary flames.

- Brendan Shanahan will keep Nonis as GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs for now.

steve-carrell-office.gif

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Sinkkunaattori

Go Waffles Go
Aug 5, 2011
Do u want exciting hockey or winning hockey? I dont care how boring the games might become, i just want to win!

As long as they win I dont think anyone cares how they do it, latest example being this season when they were pinned in their own zone for 70% of the time or more but it was fine since they were winning. If DeBoer could somehow magically manage to get these guys we got(few liabilities shed off-season I hope) to play a good tight game, I think we have enough Kovalchuk's etc in the team to go at least as far as he got the Devils.
I do wonder what he would do with mobile D like Gardiner's and Rielly's though.

That picture was just something funny I remembered and thought it Has to be in this thread :P

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
Do u want exciting hockey or winning hockey? I dont care how boring the games might become, i just want to win!

how about a winning team that is tolerable to watch, new jersey games are the only ones I fall asleep watching

whats the point of cheering for a team that is suffocating to watch night in night out, successful or not

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
I just hope they have a thorough process of figuring out who the best coach for this team should be, and not just go for a name or someone's old friend.

mikebel111*

how about a winning team that is tolerable to watch, new jersey games are the only ones I fall asleep watching

whats the point of cheering for a team that is suffocating to watch night in night out, successful or not

It doesn't matter how it's done, even if it makes u sleep

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Blashill please. Someone who can focus on developing our youngsters would be nice. Then again, I also thought Eakins would be a good NHL coach so what the hell do I know(yes I know Eakins had plenty of vets on his Marlies teams)

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Blashill please. Someone who can focus on developing our youngsters would be nice. Then again, I also thought Eakins would be a good NHL coach so what the hell do I know(yes I know Eakins had plenty of vets on his Marlies teams)

Blashill can take credit for making Nyquist and Tatar the players they are right now, among other young guys developing. The fruits of his labor are already paying off with the Wings, and in just 2 years of coaching in Grand Rapids. Eakins never developed anyone and rode all the vets. Only guy who ever became a notable asset under him was Kadri.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
Deboer would've been perfect. Least shots against in the NHL, almost 1000 less shots than Carlyles leafs this year. Deboer would have told us once and for all if we are truly failing in personell, or just coaching. If we didn't drastically drop in shots against, you could definitely chalk it up to a ****** core that needs to be changed. There's always a chance that Randy has just completely lost his players and could not motivate them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad