News Article: Pete DeBoer could be next coach of the leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...le-leafs--say-it-ain-t-so--lou-215805162.html

I think he would be a great fit. Good relationship with kadri and clarkson. Grew up in ontario, drafted by the leafs many years ago. He took the devils to the cup final with a very average roster and the devils had a better year than the leafs with a much worse roster.

Kovalchuk, Parise, Elias, Henrique...far from an average roster.

If the rumor is true with him and developing young players, then I don't want him near this team.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Oh god please no!!!! This would be worse than Carlyle. He loves his grinders and 4th liners...Orr would probably get more ice time!!! Clarkson would probably replace JVR or some **** on the first PP unit tbh, **** this guy.

He'll try to turn the leafs into a grinding team which will end horribly...I'll seriously be pissed if he gets hired...

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Kovalchuk, Parise, Elias, Henrique...far from an average roster.

If the rumor is true with him and developing young players, then I don't want him near this team.

Henrique was a rookie, maybe Zajac?

Even still, for a Stanley Cup finals team, that is a pretty average roster. The Defense didn't have one notable name.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
You know either way, people will be for it and against it. Then if it fails people will come out in hindsight and claim they said it would be terrible from the beginning. If it works those people will find something else to hate on.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...le-leafs--say-it-ain-t-so--lou-215805162.html

I think he would be a great fit. Good relationship with kadri and clarkson. Grew up in ontario, drafted by the leafs many years ago. He took the devils to the cup final with a very average roster and the devils had a better year than the leafs with a much worse roster.

If I'm hiring a coach to build a successful program, I'm not that interested in bringing in a guy just because he can get along with Kadri or Clarkson. If Kadri doesn't learn to do things the right way under any coach on a consistent basis, he can get the **** out, and Clarkson should get his head straight and take some skating lessons in the summer.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Clarkson continuing to ruin the team. Now we are looking for a coach that will compliment this 5.25 million boat anchor at the expense of everyone else.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Both Deboer and Randy need to be let go in order for this to happen. It's MASSIVE speculation. That said, I sure hope it doesn't happen. Say goodbye to entertaining hockey, and say goodbye to Gardiner/Rielly playing more than 16min.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
DeBoer is a coach who can implement a system with really good defence and puck possession. If this is what we want for our team, he'd be a very good choice. However, we would need to make significant roster changes, as I think our current roster is just not built for this style of play (too soft and offensively minded).

If we hire DeBoer, I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Gardiner, Lupul, Raymond and Franson gone.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If I'm hiring a coach to build a successful program, I'm not that interested in bringing in a guy just because he can get along with Kadri or Clarkson. If Kadri doesn't learn to do things the right way under any coach on a consistent basis, he can get the **** out, and Clarkson should get his head straight and take some skating lessons in the summer.

You would hope they'd sign the best coach possible, with little regard to a couple complimentary players on the team.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I hope they wait. Dineen isn't going anywhere (neither is Blashill right now).
DeBoer is a UFA coach (so is Trotz). just take your time, fix the team, and then pick the coach.

last time we got something from New Jersey it sucked monkey butt. (and they told us). we're already being warned re: DeBoer. So Daisy says "Do. Not. Want."

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
If Pete DeBoer is named HC, it's almost a guarantee that Steve Spoot will be named assistant. As a lifelong KIT Rangers fan, I can attest to the success in major junior ranks (2003 Mem Cup win and 2008 Mem cup runner up). But THIS IS THE NHL. Clarkson and Kadri might have a renaissance though.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
A better coach for sure, but seriously not a fan of this. I hope Nonis and Shanaban are smart enough to play to the teams strengths and not repeat their mistakes.

New Jersey plays a gross brand of hockey.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Peter DeBoer has his qualities and I think he is a generally pretty good coach, but he is a very bad fit with the type of players we have. If you want to get the most out of a roster with work ethic but not as much talent, then DeBoer is great at that. If Toronto gets him it better be a part of a complete revamp of the roster, because almost none of our core players fit his style. Including Rielly.

He's also known for being really bad with prospects, so he's a bad pick in any scenario in which we try to continue going for a younger team and build our farm while evolving.

Kyle Doobas*

Peter DeBoer has his qualities and I think he is a generally pretty good coach, but he is a very bad fit with the type of players we have. If you want to get the most out of a roster with work ethic but not as much talent, then DeBoer is great at that. If Toronto gets him it better be a part of a complete revamp of the roster, because almost none of our core players fit his style. Including Rielly.
If our team is incapable of playing for a coach whose systems require a strong work ethic, I think we need to worry less about the coach and get some new players.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
DeBoer is a coach who can implement a system with really good defence and puck possession. If this is what we want for our team, he'd be a very good choice. However, we would need to make significant roster changes, as I think our current roster is just not built for this style of play (too soft and offensively minded).

If we hire DeBoer, I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Gardiner, Lupul, Raymond and Franson gone.

Gardiner isnt just a rush guy, when hes turned on he can be a huge possession player taking over the game

but I agree its time to clean house anyways and it would be needed with DoBoer

mikebel111*

I have always liked Deboar though the latest reports of prospects and young players makes me a little hesitant

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end no matter who they look at for coaching there is going to be pros and cons. Can poke holes into anyone's resume. The question is whether they can get more out of the roster than Carlyle did and what changes to the roster will unfold around the same time.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
lol @ some of the replies in this thread

As if there's some kind of super coach available that will fix this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad