News Article: Pete DeBoer could be next coach of the leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I'm welcoming him with open arms.

Look at the team's he's coached? Florida has always sucked and New Jersey is nothing without Parise/Kovalchuk

He could do alot of good things in Toronto, and I like his puck-possession style. Also the fact that he drafted Kadri and thinks very highly of him is something I really like, Kadri will flourish under a coach that has confidence in him.

Welcome Pete.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NJ is #1 is shots against 25.6, and Toronto is 30th @35.9

NJ is #1 on the PK% and Toronto is 28th.

DeBoer seems perfect to fix the Leafs greatest weakness, of shots and goals against.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011

DeBoer seems perfect to fix the Leafs greatest weakness, of shots and goals against.

Sounds good to me.

Seriously don't know whats wrong with some fans here. Never happy or satisfied. Want change then when change comes get mad. But this is probably the same camp that wanted Dallas Eakins so pay no attention.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
and where is New Jersey in the standings?

again - i'm not against DeBoer for being miserable sakes. I want the right coach, that's all. take a long hard search of whose available and then pick after you've fixed some of the team. this way the coach knows who he has.

Also - if a lot of NJ fans aren't happy with the guy (note: they warned us about Clarkson). i'd hesitate a bit before jumping in with open arms.

mikebel111*

again - i'm not against DeBoer for being miserable sakes. I want the right coach, that's all. take a long hard search of whose available and then pick after you've fixed some of the team. this way the coach knows who he has.

Also - if a lot of NJ fans aren't happy with the guy (note: they warned us about Clarkson). i'd hesitate a bit before jumping in with open arms.

Not to be harsh, but being right at one thing doesnt mean they will be right again

Kyle Doobas*

A lot of CBJ fans weren't happy with Ken Hitchcock either. Not that I think being skeptical about these things is a bad idea or anything - just saying. :P

Nevermind past coaches, Habs and Pens fans never seem to stop *****ing about Therrien and Bylsma and their teams are doing pretty well. :laugh:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I think you could definitely kiss goodbye any chance of Stamkos coming to Toronto as a free agent. No way any talented players openly choose to play garbage robot hockey.

Kyle Doobas*

I think you could definitely kiss goodbye any chance of Stamkos coming to Toronto as a free agent.
Oh no. I really liked our chances, too. :sarcasm:

tbh though I would imagine most UFAs are aware that good teams don't play pond hockey, and would expect to have to fit into some sort of system. It didn't seem to deter Ilya Kovalchuk from signing in NJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011

Well to be fair to NJ, they would be in the playoffs if they at least won 3 out of the 13 shootout losses :laugh:. I mean 0-13 in the shootout, damn.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

I've always touted if the Leafs can fix their GA (shots against this year) and PK, they'll be just fine.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Devils have lost 18 OVERTIME LOSSES!! If they could have gone at least 7/13 for shootouts they would be in the playoffs.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If our team is incapable of playing for a coach whose systems require a strong work ethic, I think we need to worry less about the coach and get some new players.

You kind of miss my point there. It's not that the system requires strong work ethic, it's that it relies solely on work ethic. It doesn't fit us badly because of the work rate, it fits us badly because it's a system that doesn't cater to skilled players and that's what this team have in droves. In a DeBoer system, you don't see a lot of creativity. People like Kessel, Kadri, Bozak and Lupul will be half as useful as they are now. With very few exceptions, his defensemen don't take chances. They don't join rushes or carry the puck all that much. There's a big chance guys like Gardiner and Rielly would take back seat positions going forward. That's pretty much our whole core group excluding Bernier. I'd like to see a few of them move out anyway, but we should have a system that gets the most out of the remaining players as possible, not the exact opposite.

A DeBoer system puts the puck deep and pursues it with heavy forecheck, and then rotates back to defense for low percentage shots through traffic. If this is what we want, then fine. DeBoer is a great choice. But it'll require a ton of roster movement or we'll have a team full of players not being used to their strengths.

If we want work ethic and better defense that's possible to get without going from a skill-based team to the opposite.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Detroit is a perfect example of a high skilled team, traditionally speaking not so much this year, that plays a suffocating defensive system. They haven't played pond hockey since Bryan Murray was the head coach but they have played with a very high skill level and loads of puck possession. I'm not a big fan of their style, but it beats the Devils style.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Anybody know?

How much of this is his style of coaching and how much is the talent level of the two teams he's coached at the NHL level?... I'm curious what style he coached in junior especially his last stint with Kitchener... I realize junior hockey is different but I'd like to try and determine if he's always had a boring, defensive style of coaching?...anyone know through the experience of watching rather than hearsay?...

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

New jersey's best player is 42 year old Jagr, a walking dinosaur. When New jersey had good players (Parise/Kovalchuk) they went to the Stanley cup fianls. I don't blame Deboer for not getting the devils to the playoffs because their roster is garbage and they value Brodeur>Schneider, which is ridiculous. Yet despite all of this the Devils allow the least shots on goal in the league and regarding advanced stats their one of the best, toe to toe with La, Chicago, St.louis etc

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Wilson,Carlyle,next.
I don't care who they hire, we will find out pretty quick then if it's more than just coach. If the core is flawed he could be the next victim.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It should be a warning sign that nobody wants to stay in New Jersey. Sure Kovalchuk re-signed but then he bolted for Russia shortly after. Good players want to play real hockey, not Devils hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad