News Article: Pete DeBoer could be next coach of the leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2004
Firing Carlyle would be very stupid. Just last year people wanted him to be the Adams. They went through a bad stretch but it isn't Carlyles fault IMO. His system could be worked on, but I doubt a new coach would benefit this team long term.

We've been going through a bad stretch for 130 games under Carlyle.

The man played Mike Kostka against the Bruins in game 1 last year instead of Jake Gardiner. Think about that. How anyone can defend Carlyle is beyond me.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Exactly. In all that time, how can there have been no improvement to the defensive side of the game? How? They had offense and good goaltending, and it wasn't possible to implement even an average defensive system? I hate to use the word but that seems unforgivable. De Boer might be a good option.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Too likeable...

But what if our players don't like him? Ever thought this group might need a Mike Keenan type guy who demands while torturing scurvy layabouts? I mean if the players don't like him,it wont matter anyway.

Im sorry but you need a Hitchcock for this team.If they quit again then what? I just don't see any really good coach taking a team with Phnaueff as their number 1 D seriously.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
Kovalchuk, Parise, Elias, Henrique...far from an average roster.

If the rumor is true with him and developing young players, then I don't want him near this team.

Reid Boucher, Jon Merill, Mattias Tedenby, Adam Henrique, Adam Larsson all have played a fair amount of games for the Devils over past 2 seasons while DeBoer has been their coach. I don't think he's a bad coach for development as long as the players are cut out to succeed. Their defence has always been supreme with the trap system and it requires vets to play that style. Lucky for them they had players more competent than Larsson to fill in the roles and thus his playing time fluttered. NJ doesn't really have the luxury of having many offensively gifted speedy d-men who can lead the offence. DeBoer catered his playing style to fit his roster.

I know Phaneuf isn't the smartest cookie in the jar but if we played a trap style of hockey he'd look much better out there. Phaneuf can be a premier shutdown guy if that is all he focused on. I think if we can keep Gunnar, Phaneuf, Rielly, Gardiner, Granberg/ Gleason, Ranger etc, under an organized hybrid trap system we can have 3 solid pairings where we can trap on D but turn it right back around with our dynamic skating defensemen (easier said than done).

Phaneuf - Granberg (pure shutdown)
Rielly - Gunnarsson (OFD - TWD)
Gardiner - Ranger (OFD - OFD/TWD) I guess Gleason would better suit the role as he can be a true stay at home d-man that can let Gards venture on Offence at will.

Playing a highly organized defensive system though, we need to have dedicated forwards (which as we saw this year...we don't really have). We need more two way high energy guys who can play a dump and chase game. Thankfully we have a boat load of prospects in the minors who fit the playing style (thanks to Spott) that can slot in.

Forwards:

Kessel - TWC (ROR?) - JVR - Top scoring line with two game breaking wingers and a highly responsible defence first center. Bozak fits the bill but if we can upgrade on him to even a player like ROR, it would help tremendously.

Holland - Kadri - Lupul - This would be the key forward line. If they put in 100% effort every shift, they are clutch enough to capitalize on their chances and not be defensive liabilities.

Clarkson - Bozak - Ashton - This would be our shutdown line. Holland and Ashton can be interchanged. Ashton is one of the best two way forward prospects we have in the system (I'd say him and D'Amigo are neck to neck) and he's strong, big and fast. Bozak can focus on shadowing players and he can be a shooter on this line (doesn't have to worry about feeding Kessel anymore)

D'Amigo - Carrick - Broll - The marlies kids who I've personally been thoroughly impressed with (other then Leivo, Abbot and McKegg). We're not going to be a run and gun team and so team speed won't be a big point of focus. Broll and d'Amigo are fast as hell though and Carrick is adequate but their hockey IQ, hustle and will to win is phenomenal.

Overall, the line up would look a lot different than it did this last game of the season but we'd infuse a ton of youth and energy and homegrown talent on to the roster. These kids all have something to prove and they have a solid pedigree in the AHL and juniors of delivering as the go-to guys on their teams. They all have a ton of pride and come from a winning tradition in the AHL. Much like the boost the Wings got and Lightning got thanks to their minor league kids delivering, we have potential to do the same. Worse case scenario Holland, Ashton don't put up flashy numbers, they are still very reliable defensively and extremely versatile. Our offence still runs primarily through the likes of Kessel, JVR, 1st line center, Kadri, Lupul, Bozak, Gards, Rielly, Phaneuf.

We are just adding a shot of youth into positions where they can play without much pressure and succeed. Plus we still have the likes of Leivo, Brown, this years pick, Gauthier, Finn, Percy coming up through the system. We need to take risks, we can't keep playing it safe and overpaying for current players and UFAs, at some point we have to look in our own backyard.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
I like your ideas for the forward lines Centre. The defence needs more adjustments. Granberg probably isn't a top 2 defender and definitely should not be put there as a rookie. But the forward lines have potential if the Leafs are making minimal changes, I'd love to see how that goes.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
I like your ideas for the forward lines Centre. The defence needs more adjustments. Granberg probably isn't a top 2 defender and definitely should not be put there as a rookie. But the forward lines have potential if the Leafs are making minimal changes, I'd love to see how that goes.

I agree about the defence as well. However, I think the Phaneuf - Granberg pairing would be our 2nd pairing most likely. Plus Granberg is already physically ready for the NHL, his defensive game is already good/great, it's his offense that has to come around. We can shelter him by playing him with Phaneuf and in turn playing with a rookie guy, might make phaneuf more timid and take less chances at being a tard

EDIT: If we can find a somewhat experienced mobile shutdown D-man to play top pairing, I have no issues seeing Gards as our #1 next year. He's still getting better defensively but we've seen his ability to carry the pace of the game on his own. Having a reliable guy paired with him might do wonders. I guess we could pair him with Gunnar and make that the top pair. Phaneuf - Granberg just has me salivating because of their physical abilities. They are both strong guys who can physically punish the opponents if that's all they focus on. It could bring out that competitive fire in Phaneuf that I haven't seen for the past few years where he wanted to hit anything and everything that came at him. Not to mention if Granberg can play with a mean streak that pairing has the potential to be epic.

Also it lightens the load for Phaneuf who can't log big minutes without getting worn down because of his playing style. Gardiner/ Rielly are of the Ryan Suter mold of defenceman. They won't lead the league in hits but they'll log big minutes because of their playing styles. We've seen Gards play 25+ mins on numerous occasions, specially his rookie season and he's been extremely successful at it. Boston series, he was our most dynamic defenceman and logged big time minutes without getting worn down. I think its an experiment worth trying. Worst case scenario, he can't handle the minutes, we can always call on phaneuf to step up and give him a breather and who knows, MoRiles might be ready to take reigns by that point as well. Long term I think we can do some serious damage running Rielly and Gardiner out with Phaneuf playing shutdown. He can channel his inner Scott Stevens and focus on laying guys out and defending his goalie. And before people point out the fact that its a waste of 7 million dollars to have him play that role, I agree BUT if it helps the team, it's not my money and so I don't give a ****. I just want to win. PERIOD. Phaneuf can be a $7 mil towel boy for all I care.

Last edited:

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
would be fine with deboer. at least he wouldn't be carlyle.

with the scoring and goaltending we had this year, if we're even a 50% possesion team we're looking at home ice advantage

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
hiring a coach for his effect on 2 players would be a
ludicrous move
Which is why if they hired him it'd be because of a variety of reasons. If you do something you normally don't pick 2 reasons from a long list of why you did it and say "these were the only reasons I did this." Someone else might if they want to presume you made a ridiculous decision though.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Elliot said that Deboer is about to sign a new contract in NJ. I take it a lot of people weren't watching HNIC last night.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I really don't want DeBoer. He hasn't really been impressive in his career at all.
He took NJ to a final, and otherwise hasn't shown much to warrant getting a job the likes of what we have here.

Badger Mayhew*

Elliot said that Deboer is about to sign a new contract in NJ. I take it a lot of people weren't watching HNIC last night.

He's heard "rumblings", doesn't have any details, and Deboer would need to accept the terms/sign the contract.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I really don't want DeBoer. He hasn't really been impressive in his career at all.
He took NJ to a final, and otherwise hasn't shown much to warrant getting a job the likes of what we have here.
He's been given pretty awful rosters and gotten more than most expected out of them. 08-09 in FLA, NJ's Final run and this year's NJ team all overachieved. A better SO record and the Devils make the playoffs this year, which is pretty crazy with their roster.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 24m
As others have noted, I believe we can scratch Peter DeBoer's name off list of free agent coaches. Extension with NJD expected soon

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Clarkson continuing to ruin the team. Now we are looking for a coach that will compliment this 5.25 million boat anchor at the expense of everyone else.

Yeah, like that would be the only reason he is considered for the job :shakehead

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Both Deboer and Randy need to be let go in order for this to happen.

Isn't Deboer's contract up?

It's MASSIVE speculation. That said, I sure hope it doesn't happen. Say goodbye to entertaining hockey

Wins are entertaining and, personally, I don't care how they win so long as they win. If Deboer can coach them to those wins then great.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The point I've been trying to make is that he is a good coach for those kind of circumstances, those kind of teams.

Coaches are not just good or bad, and if you replace a bad coach with a good the whole team gets instantly better. It doesn't work like that. They all have different ideas, different systems, different ways of handling individuals.

The trick is figuring out what kind of team Toronto is going to be going forward, look over the roster to make sure we've got the right personnel for it, and then find the coach that is the right fit for the collection of people and player types. Not the "best" coach individually, the one that fits what we need the most.

He was mishandled because he was benched as soon as he made a mistake, and sometimes he was benched and was left confused because he had no idea what he had done wrong. If you have a top prospect you give him the opportunity to succeed, and you keep a constant dialog to make sure they know what they do well and what they need to improve. This didn't happen with Larsson.

We need a coach who is flexible and can adapt. That's the main problem. No real template for a team in leaf land.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I think you could definitely kiss goodbye any chance of Stamkos coming to Toronto as a free agent. No way any talented players openly choose to play garbage robot hockey.

Jagr likes playing for him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 24m
As others have noted, I believe we can scratch Peter DeBoer's name off list of free agent coaches. Extension with NJD expected soon

NJ misses the playoffs (86 points) and their coach being extended. Toronto misses the playoffs (84 points) and their coach in serious doubt of being dismissed.

Difference NJ is one of the better defensive and shots preventing teams and Toronto among the worst.

Defense wins championships.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
NJ misses the playoffs (86 points) and their coach being extended. Toronto misses the playoffs (84 points) and their coach in serious doubt of being dismissed.

Difference NJ is one of the better defensive and shots preventing teams and Toronto among the worst.

They play a good hockey game, we play like a bunch of guys on the pond after having a few cold ones.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Difference is NJ overachieved and Toronto underachieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad